The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I don't think it matters which tiara Kate will wear. A tiara is a tiara and I doubt that her gown would be overly embellished to clash, even if she chose one with colored gemstones.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Nobility

Some invitees
Gareth Thomas To Attend Prince William's Royal Wedding | On Top Magazine :: Gay & Lesbian News, Entertainment, Commentary & Travel
Pub landlord asked to royal wedding - News - Suffolk Free Press

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I think we will just have to look back at all the other royal wedding invitations both at home and abroad to see what has been done before and to satisfy ourselves that the invitation issued for William and Kate is correct and needs no amending!

Edward and Sophies invitation did indeed mention Sophie's parents but they were only mentioned in the context of being Sophie's parents and not in teh context of being the invitees.

So, when it comes to getting married into royalty, the royal way of doing things takes precedence to what normal people would do (or think they should do!).
You has a good idea. I looked for Prince Charles and Lady Diana and found only the Queen and Prince Philip mention. Diana's father and mother were not on the invite. This makes me think of two reasons for the slight: either each groom is a future king marrying so a very royal event or else in both cases the custom of parents being divorced would have to be address on the invite. I think this invite of Prince Williams is because of both factors. What do other think?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

If the press office says that over 50 members of the British Royal Family have been invited then I'm guessing that is nearly everyone before the Norweigen Royal Family in the line of succession. Kin Harald is number 68 I think. When you take out all the small children before that then it is just over 50 by my calculation
Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

IMO, Miss Middleton should not wear a tiara at all - she is not royal or even aristocratic. If she lonas one it should be the Spencer tiara.
And I dont think she needs an acceptance symbol from the Queen as she has already granted her permission.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

for those that find it strange that catherine's parents aren't mentioned on the invitations...get use to them being "left out". she is marry into the BRF and that will mean that, unless william and catherine change tradition, her family will be pushed to the very perimeter of her life. no more christmases spent together an few (if any) holidays where they are included. her life will now be completely consumer by her duties and the traditions of the family she is marrying into. sad but true.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroonababe View Post
IMO, Miss Middleton should not wear a tiara at all - she is not royal or even aristocratic. If she lonas one it should be the Spencer tiara.
And I dont think she needs an acceptance symbol from the Queen as she has already granted her permission.
CPs Mary, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Maxima, etc. (all non-royal and non-aristocratic) wore tiaras on their wedding days. I don't see why Kate shouldn't wear one.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

When Willam becomes King, I could imagine them being included in the Christmas. I understand why they have been left off the invites, but I don't think they should have been. They are her parents, and becoming a Princess isn't going to change that. Before Charles becomes King we're likely to still have Middleton family holidays, William has shown great respect for Carole and Michael, he won't let them disappear.

Quote:
She isn't marrying into the Spencer family though, she's marrying the windsors. Autumn Kelly wore a tiara to her wedding as did all the other current CPs.
I agree that wearing a tiara has little to do with acceptance, it just looks nice.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taroonababe
Sophie and Autumn both wore tiaras. Sarah intentionally wore flowers to cover her tiara as she wanted the symbolism of coming into Westminster a commoner and leaving as a royal. Nothing wrong with Kate wearing a tiara IMO.
The Spencer family tiara is the absolute last tiara she should wear on her wedding day!!.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Regarding tiaras for Kate; Princess Diana nor Sarah donned one of the Queen's tiaras for their weddings. My opinion is that HM will have one made for Kate as she did for the Duchess of York.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankay View Post
Regarding tiaras for Kate; Princess Diana nor Sarah donned one of the Queen's tiaras for their weddings. My opinion is that HM will have one made for Kate as she did for the Duchess of York.
More recently, however, HM had a tiara made from the royal collection for Sophie. I can't see HM buying a tiara right now. Buying expensive jewels and tiaras would be seen as too extravagant and against the stated intention of this wedding to reflect as much as possible "austere times."
Old 02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She will be made Royal on her wedding day. And not just any Royal. but a future Queen. She most certainly does have the right to wear a tiara.

The Spencer Tiara belongs to the current Earl Spencer. Diana as the daughter of the former Earl Spencer had the right to wear it just as her sisters wore it for their weddings. The only other women that may wear it are the current Earl Spencer's daughters and/or any woman marrying the Earl or his heir.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
The Spencer Tiara belongs to the current Earl Spencer. Diana as the daughter of the former Earl Spencer had the right to wear it just as her sisters wore it for their weddings. The only other women that may wear it are the current Earl Spencer's daughters and/or any woman marrying the Earl or his heir.
Going by the track record of Charlie Spencer, it may well be a few more of his brides who get the opportunity to wear the Spencer tiara.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Majesty

Much as we would like the evening on 29 April to be a tiara event, I highly doubt that would be the case. Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

The private dinner Charles is hosting that evening is just that -- private. Whether it's a tiara event or not (highly unlikely), we won't see any photos of it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
The private dinner Charles is hosting that evening is just that -- private. Whether it's a tiara event or not (highly unlikely), we won't see any photos of it.
You are right, we are unlikely to see any photos unless some are released, but we may see photos of people arriving and leaving.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

^Richard said we might get photos it's still being organized.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Interesting.... but the wedding is also a symbolic gesture of granting sovereignty and therefore, a tiara is most expected regardless of her common status, which at the point they say "I will" defines the transition point.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 PM

Yes, it is almost sad to think it gets passed around. I'd want my own, really.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM

No, when wearing a hat or even a tiara, one must design the rest of the wardrobe around IT. Definitely.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding