The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

The article implied that Kate would choose a less-famous tiara, possibly one that hasn't made an appearance in many years.

It also mentioned that the loaner wouldn't necessarily be the one she was given after she was married.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning British Monarch was Victoria with George, Duke of York marrying Princess May of Teck.

I would agree that this is something that doesn't happen often. Though I would expect that a King William would see his grandchildren married. Due to the ages of the Queen and Charles and the estimated time frame when William will become King.
Technically speaking, the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning monarch was Peter marrying Autumn, wasn't it? Perhaps you're speaking of before this current generation?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Technically speaking, the last marriage of a grandson of a reigning monarch was Peter marrying Autumn, wasn't it? Perhaps you're speaking of before this current generation?
You are correct. I was thinking of William (and George, Duke of York) from the heirs perspective. Basically the next King, and Peter is too far down for that.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Aristocracy

Pardon me, perhaps this is relevant for another thread, but what does Catherine's wedding, attire, appetite, appearance, workout routine, travel destinations, work habits, colleagues, etc. have to do with Diana...if anything?

Hey I got a topic what should they do after their wedding to have a happy and long marriage as possible...case in point Anne, William's aunt, William's grandparent's, even Catherine's parents are a nice place to start...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yvonne Yorke: Kate's Royal Wedding Look: The Dress, The Veil, The Tiara and More

According to this, the Queen had all the tiaras in the collection displayed in the ballroom, and invited Kate to select the one she wished to wear to the wedding.

Wouldn't it be better to choose the tiara to go with the dress, rather than the other way? (I would think Kate would want to invite her designer along!)

What does everyone think?
I agree that The Queen will have Catherine choose from a selection of jewels from her impressive collection, I severely doubt that she have all the jewels in the vaults displayed. We all know that there are several pieces that are closely linked with the Queen and she would not have those pieces available for Catherine to choose from. I think the setting for the jewel selection would most likely be in a more intimate space such as the queen's audience chamber rather than the grandeur of the largest room in the palace. None of us will really know, but what is describe in the article doesn't really seem like Elizabeth's style.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks everyone for answering my question about the protocol of the invitations. I do understand the logic of the senior royal and who "owns" Buck House at the moment ... still a bit strange not to see someone's parents name on a wedding invitation. Oh, well ...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Pardon me, perhaps this is relevant for another thread, but what does Catherine's wedding, attire, appetite, appearance, workout routine, travel destinations, work habits, colleagues, etc. have to do with Diana...if anything?
You've got to be kidding. As much as I hate it, I also know it's a part of the times we live in that Kate's going to be compared to Diana from now until eternity. It's a sad reality, but I'm hoping once this first year is over and Kate shows us how she will fulfill her role as HRH Princess William of Wales, that will go down a notch.

Sadly, I also know that's probally wishful thinking too.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Nobility

I think the tiara and jewellery (if any) will be picked out 1st and shown to the wedding gown designer.

I recalled watching an interview with Hanae Mori, who designed the white wedding dress for Princess Masako of Japan in 1993. She mentioned that Masako put on the tiara and diamond necklace she will be wearing during the fitting with the trial dress she made so that everything looks perfect (weightage, position of tiara etc) before she made the final cut on the actual dress material which was made of silk spunned by the royal silk worm and is one of its kind. She mentioned that she was very nervous as it was a very priceless material as there are no second piece alike.

Also the reason as to why Kate will travel by car to the church and by carriage to the palace, just wondering could it be the significance of arriving the church as a commoner in a car and leaving the church in a horse-drawn carriage as a Princess??
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Of course you're absolutely right! When I wrote my post I was thinking from the point of view that it is the wedding of a high-ranking royal. If there's time I might edit my post!
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Thanks everyone for answering my question about the protocol of the invitations. I do understand the logic of the senior royal and who "owns" Buck House at the moment ... still a bit strange not to see someone's parents name on a wedding invitation. Oh, well ...
It does seem strange not to have one's parents mentioned on a formal wedding/marriage invitation, but that is the royal way! Incidentally, it is traditional in normal weddings for invitations to be issued by the bride's parents or these days by the couple themselves.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I agree that The Queen will have Catherine choose from a selection of jewels from her impressive collection, I severely doubt that she have all the jewels in the vaults displayed. We all know that there are several pieces that are closely linked with the Queen and she would not have those pieces available for Catherine to choose from. I think the setting for the jewel selection would most likely be in a more intimate space such as the queen's audience chamber rather than the grandeur of the largest room in the palace. None of us will really know, but what is describe in the article doesn't really seem like Elizabeth's style.
Nothing that woman has written recently sounds anything like Queen Elizabeth's style, which is why I don't believe a thing she says.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Royal Highness

i think the huffington post article should be taken with a huge grain of salt. unless the dress design was already finalized, how could she possibly choose the tiara and jewelry. she would have to choose something that suits the dress and if/how she's going to wear a veil. unless of course she's designing the dress around the jewelry she's chosen, which would be very tricky. the whole bit about having all the jewels laid out for her to choose from sounds unrealistic. it's more likely that HM has allowed catherine to choose from a selection and not from the entire collection.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Aristocracy

Confirmed Invitations?

Out professional rugby player Gareth Thomas , seems to have been invited to the wedding.
Per his twitter account on February 18th:

"Need to buy a new hat? oops did i say that out loud. Yes I have had an invite to the royal wedding. have you?" 7:59 AM Feb 18th via web

One of his teamates replied "Bullsh*t??!!" and Gareth replied:

"No bullsh*t girlfriend..will bring the proof tom."

The teamate tweeted the next day that he did indeed see the invitation.

By the way, will there be a thread here for confirmed invitations or attendees?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Administrator

All confirmed information will be posted here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ton-29332.html .

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It does seem strange not to have one's parents mentioned on a formal wedding/marriage invitation, but that is the royal way! Incidentally, it is traditional in normal weddings for invitations to be issued by the bride's parents or these days by the couple themselves.
I just saw a posting on GREMB which feature a copy of Prince Edward's wedding invitation and Sophie's parents were included.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you Zonk!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I just saw a posting on GREMB which feature a copy of Prince Edward's wedding invitation and Sophie's parents were included.
I still think Prince William's invite strange not including both sets of parents. It would have been another two lines on the invite. The parents are paying for the wedding too.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I still think Prince William's invite strange not including both sets of parents. It would have been another two lines on the invite. The parents are paying for the wedding too.
I really do not think it matters who is paying for the wedding. IMO, the invitations having gone from HM as she is the monarch, and this is a semi-state affair, not just a private wedding. An invitation to the other crowned heads would be better coming from HM as opposed to Mrs & Mr Middleton, or the PoW. This also side-steps the issue of having (or not having) the DoC on the invitations.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Which parents? The cost of the wedding will be paid by the Queen, the Prince of Wales and the British taxpayers. The only thing that the Middletons are paying for (based on reports) is the dress. Now I am sure that is going to be costly (no David's Bridal for Catherine).

But I agree that this is not a normal wedding (as everyone already knows) hence the Queen's name on the invitation. Everyone knows that Charles is the father...and I agree it that it sidesteps the DoC situation on the invitation.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

I think we will just have to look back at all the other royal wedding invitations both at home and abroad to see what has been done before and to satisfy ourselves that the invitation issued for William and Kate is correct and needs no amending!

Edward and Sophies invitation did indeed mention Sophie's parents but they were only mentioned in the context of being Sophie's parents and not in teh context of being the invitees.

So, when it comes to getting married into royalty, the royal way of doing things takes precedence to what normal people would do (or think they should do!).

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding