The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2921  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Yvonne Yorke: Kate's Royal Wedding Look: The Dress, The Veil, The Tiara and More


According to this, the Queen had all the tiaras in the collection displayed in the ballroom, and invited Kate to select the one she wished to wear to the wedding.

Wouldn't it be better to choose the tiara to go with the dress, rather than the other way? (I would think Kate would want to invite her designer along!)

What does everyone think?
Honestly, I don't think it matters unless she picks out a color themed tiara (i.e. rubies, emeralds, etc.)

Don't diamonds go with everything
__________________

__________________
.

  #2922  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
agami.pearl's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: -, Poland
Posts: 1,801
I agree. Or maybe if she opted for flowers motif tiara it could be inspiration for the designer.
__________________

  #2923  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,800
What came first, the tiara or the dress? It could go either way depending on what other accessories might be worn. If the dress is plain enough, then any diamond tiara would do. If the dress is embroidered, then I would have thought that the embroidery would match in some way the design of the tiara. In any event, seeing Kate in a tiara will be exciting!
__________________
JACK
  #2924  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,413
I think deciding if she wears a tiara came first.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2925  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I, too, am curious about the wording of the wedding invitation.

1.) Why is it that the Queen and not Prince Charles, as father of the groom, inviting the guests?
2.) On Prince Charles' wedding invitation, it was the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh who did the inviting ... why not here, too?
According to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Probably because HM and Prince Philip were parents to Charles, Andrew, Anne and Edward. HM is on this invite because she is the highest ranking royal.
My own thoughts: I don't think that Charles will be on top of any royal wedding invite until he is King and thus the highest ranking royal.
  #2926  
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I, too, am curious about the wording of the wedding invitation.

1.) Why is it that the Queen and not Prince Charles, as father of the groom, inviting the guests?
2.) On Prince Charles' wedding invitation, it was the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh who did the inviting ... why not here, too?

1. Because the Queen is the highest-ranking royal, and thus all invitations to Buckingham Palace come through her. If Harry marries before the Queen dies, then the invitations to that wedding will come from the Queen as well. Also, Charles can't invite someone to Buckingham Palace because it's not "his" palace yet. I mean, a friend of yours wouldn't put your name at the head of invitations to a party at their house, would they? Just think of it that way.

2. Both the Queen and DoE were on the wedding invites for Anne, Charles, Andrew and Edward because those are their children, slightly different than the situation here.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
  #2927  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
1. Because the Queen is the highest-ranking royal, and thus all invitations to Buckingham Palace come through her. If Harry marries before the Queen dies, then the invitations to that wedding will come from the Queen as well. Also, Charles can't invite someone to Buckingham Palace because it's not "his" palace yet. I mean, a friend of yours wouldn't put your name at the head of invitations to a party at their house, would they? Just think of it that way.

2. Both the Queen and DoE were on the wedding invites for Anne, Charles, Andrew and Edward because those are their children, slightly different than the situation here.
And that's the third response to this question in itself, we at The Royal Forums are bloody well-informed!
  #2928  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,413
Well with 147 pages to go through, it's good that people answer questions a fair few times. So the asker doesn't have to go back through x amount of pages to find the answer. :)
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2929  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,776
I don't care how many times it's been answered, if someone asks a question, I'll answer it, just for the reason you specified. Who want to read through 147 pages to find out the answer to one question?
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
  #2930  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well with 147 pages to go through, it's good that people answer questions a fair few times. So the asker doesn't have to go back through x amount of pages to find the answer. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I don't care how many times it's been answered, if someone asks a question, I'll answer it, just for the reason you specified. Who want to read through 147 pages to find out the answer to one question?
I don't know how my remark came across, but I meant it in a positive way; imo it's better to have multiple responses than none at all.

IMO it doesn't take much effort to answer someone's question as we all like to have our questions answered and we all may learn something new along the way too. That's what the Forum is for.
  #2931  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 18,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I don't care how many times it's been answered, if someone asks a question, I'll answer it, just for the reason you specified. Who want to read through 147 pages to find out the answer to one question?
No reason for the attack, mine and skippy's post were just a joke. The question has been answered on this page by Skippy who quoted my answer as well, so they wouldn't have to go through 147. My analogy was a joke as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I don't know how my remark came across, but I meant it in a positive way; imo it's better to have multiple responses than none at all.

IMO it doesn't take much effort to answer someone's question as we all like to have our questions answered and we all may learn something new along the way too. That's what the Forum is for.
I took it in a positive way, your post made me smile.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #2932  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,776
I wasn't attacking you, and I don't know where you got that from. I was agreeing with you, for crying out loud.

I said that I personally don't care how many times a question has been answered already, if someone on the current page asks it, I'll answer it for them. It's better than telling the person to go read the 4th comment on page 15.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
  #2933  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,590
And now we can move on....weddings suggestions and musings for William and Catherine?
__________________
.

  #2934  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,776
Since an article muses Kate had a chance to look at all the tiaras in the Queen's collection, which one do you think she chose? Obviously it should look right with her dress, but assuming that the designer was there, or that the dress is already done, what tiara would look best on her?

I still vote for the Strathmore Rose tiara, myself. I'd love to see her in the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, but that's too closely associated with the Queen right now.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
  #2935  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Since an article muses Kate had a chance to look at all the tiaras in the Queen's collection, which one do you think she chose? Obviously it should look right with her dress, but assuming that the designer was there, or that the dress is already done, what tiara would look best on her?

I still vote for the Strathmore Rose tiara, myself. I'd love to see her in the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, but that's too closely associated with the Queen right now.
I'd love to see her in the Girls of Great Britain too, but agree it's completely unlikely. However- a very public symbol that the Queen is welcoming Catherine into the family would do a lot to dispel any news stories about the newcomer not being accepted by the firm, dealing with snobbery, etc- the stories that were a big part of the dialogue on why Diana and Sarah's marriages failed. And the Queen loaning Catherine her favorite tiara for the day would be hugely symbolic of her acceptance into the family. So I'm not ruling it out completely even though I know it's unlikely.
  #2936  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
In my dream fantasy world the Queen wld allow Kate, and therefore starting a royal tradition for other brides to follow, to wear the Girls of Great Britain tiara for her wedding. It is such a gorgeous thing and would make a perfect british wedding tiara. Of course, the Queen wld only wear it on a regular basis, but I can't think of anything better for the something borrowed bit.
  #2937  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,872
If the tiara was going to be a symbol of acceptance as a loaner then obviously it would be the same one both Queen Elizabeth and The Princess Royal wore for their weddings, the Fringe.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #2938  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post

For Ghost, who asked about the layout of BP, I came across this program from the pre-wedding celebration for Diana and Charles. Pretty cool set up if you ask me. http://everythingroyal.com/scan27.JPG (I love how they keep using the word "disco." It must mean something different in the UK than in the US. Lol.)
Thanks! the ballroom look huge from what I can see!
  #2939  
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Princejohnny25's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: , Antarctica
Posts: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
If the tiara was going to be a symbol of acceptance as a loaner then obviously it would be the same one both Queen Elizabeth and The Princess Royal wore for their weddings, the Fringe.
I agree that would follow tradition and send a msg of acceptance out but its such an unattractive tiara. The Queen made it work but that was only because the bloody thing broke and was off kilter which added a certain charm to the piece. I wish they would take that tiara apart and reconstructed to match the tiara in this portrait of Queen Victoria. It would be a stunner then albeit quite similar to Baden Fringe in the Swedish RF.
  #2940  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
If the tiara was going to be a symbol of acceptance as a loaner then obviously it would be the same one both Queen Elizabeth and The Princess Royal wore for their weddings, the Fringe.
See, I think we'll see that on Zara at her wedding and it won't make an appearance at Kate's for that reason. I rather like the idea of keeping that tiara in the female line and using another tiara closely associated with the queen for future weddings in the male line- having the girls of great Britain as a tiara worn only by the queen except on the wedding days of women marrying into the family- that could be very nice.
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones best outfit birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess victoria current events december denmark earl of snowdon general news grand duke jean hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume historical infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein monarchy news picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince emmanuel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary daytime fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofias hats princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margerthe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen silvia queen sofia rohan family state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion victoria



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises