The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Nancy Reagan represented the USA at Prince Andrew's wedding so why not invite Michelle Obama to William's wedding?
I think William and Kate perhaps just wanted to have a different kind of wedding. Yes, first ladies have attended such events in the past, but that doesn't mean they have to be included now.

Besides, the Obamas will be on a state visit to the UK the following month, so they'll be over there for other reasons not too long from now, anyway.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
William isn't an heir apparent. He won't be until his father is King. Heirs/Heiresses apparent are the next-in-line to the throne, not the next-in-line's eldest child.

Keeping that in mind, it would make no sense to make William's wedding a state occasion. His position, while an important one, doesn't demand all the pomp and circumstance the BRF can muster just yet.
Pardon me, but I beg to differ. Prince William IS Heir Apparent, since nothing can usurp his claim to the Throne. He just will succeed his Dad to the Throme. The only way he wouldn't succeed to the Throne is if he pass away before his Dad or he becomes Catholic. In other word, a Heir Apparent is guaranteed to succeed to the throne eventually, regardless of birth of other people who can push him down the succession list.

In any case, I agree with you that it didn't really make too much sense to make the wedding a State Ocassion.

Sorry if I got a bit offtrack here.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Serene Highness

I think an invitation to the First Lady would have been appropriate, yes.

But, it is their wedding. Are they good friends of the Beckhams? I was curious. (Maybe I should read back a few more pages).
Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I don't know how much store we can set by expectations; wasn't Sarah Ferguson expected to receive an invitation?
There's a link upthread somewhere - Sarah talked to the press on the day the invitations were sent and said she did not expect to be invited nor would she attend, if invited.

Should her style be Lady Sarah?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
There's a link upthread somewhere - Sarah talked to the press on the day the invitations were sent and said she did not expect to be invited nor would she attend, if invited.

Should her style be Lady Sarah?
As Sarah was not a daughter of a peer, she was not Lady Sarah when she married Andrew. After the divorce, the only style she is permitted to use is Sarah, Duchess of York which denotes a divorced wife of peer. Should she remarry, she would then lose the style Duchess of York and take whatever address she would use from her husband.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you, Osipi. That's exactly what I needed to know. Lady Sarah didn't sound right, because it isn't.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Nancy Reagan represented the USA at Prince Andrew's wedding so why not invite Michelle Obama to William's wedding?
This is about William and Kate's wedding....not the Obama's. The Obama's aren't invited and neither are other heads of state. End of story.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Pardon me, but I beg to differ. Prince William IS Heir Apparent, since nothing can usurp his claim to the Throne.
I hate to break it to you, but you're wrong. Charles is the Heir Apparent. William is not due to being the son of the Heir. Same as Crown Prince Fredrick is the Heir Apparent of Denmark while Prince Christian is only his son and the Heir to the Heir.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? I'm honestly puzzled.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
Pardon me, but I beg to differ. Prince William IS Heir Apparent

No he's not.

Quote:
In a hereditary system governed by some form of primogeniture, an heir apparent is easily identifiable as the person whose position as first in the line of succession is secure, regardless of future births.
William is not first in line. His father is. Charles is an heir apparent. CP Victoria is an heiress apparent. CP Frederik is an heir apparent. All these people have one thing in common; their mother or father is the current sovereign of their country, meaning upon their death they will become the next sovereign.

Upon the Queen's death, the only thing William becomes or inherits is the Duke of Cornwall. Heir/heiress apparent has a specific meaning that applies to just one person.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Royal Wedding: Diana's friend Sarah, Duchess of York is not invited by Prince William - Telegraph

Sarah, Duchess of York, who was close to Prince William's mother Diana, Princess of Wales, has been left off the guest list for his marriage to Kate Middleton.

“She will not be attending the wedding,” confirms a spokesman for the former wife of the Duke of York. “She never expected to be invited or to attend. She will be overseas at the time.”
That is cruel and truly petty gesture towards Sarah..Just as the one towards the Obamas.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 AM
Serene Highness

I'm sure the Obamas do not feel it as being "cruel", in fact, I would bet that they had no expectation of being invited. They really are quite grown up about invitations.

As to Sarah, I rather doubt that she expected an invitation either.

Not inviting a person/or persons to a wedding is far from a cruel act ... unless it might be one of the parents or siblings.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Serene Highness

I thought, that upon the Queen's Death, William also becomes Prince of Wales. Not true?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think I have seen this article posted here.

Yvonne Yorke: Kate's Royal Wedding Look: The Dress, The Veil, The Tiara and More
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Majesty

I can't believe the whining about President and Mrs Obama not being invited to the wedding of someone they have never met! President Sarkozy isn't invited either and I don't see the French throwing their toys out of the cot.

The "official" part of this wedding includes British politicians, senior Defence personnel and Heads of State and or Governor's General of Commonwealth countries.

Foreign royalty includes family, friends, and Heads of State.

Whilst President Obama and his wife have met the senior royals and may even have cordial relationships with them, this is not a "State Wedding" and they are neither family nor friends of either the bride or the groom.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Aptly stated, MARG.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Majesty

The title Prince of Wales isn't automatic. Assuming Prince Charles becomes King on the death of his mother, Prince William will become Duke of Cornwall. However, it'll be up to his father to declare William to be the Prince of Wales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I thought, that upon the Queen's Death, William also becomes Prince of Wales. Not true?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Whilst President Obama and his wife have met the senior royals and may even have cordial relationships with them, this is not a "State Wedding" and they are neither family nor friends of either the bride or the groom.
This is William and Catherine's wedding and at their current situation as second in line the need to interact with actual Heads of State is minimal. Till William becomes king, the Obamas are long forgotten. So why should they invite an American couple that due to their current position will take a lot of the limelight from them (at least with the American media) when there is neither personal contact nor political interest for them at the moment?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As Sarah was not a daughter of a peer, she was not Lady Sarah when she married Andrew. After the divorce, the only style she is permitted to use is Sarah, Duchess of York which denotes a divorced wife of peer. Should she remarry, she would then lose the style Duchess of York and take whatever address she would use from her husband.
Well, she could call herself Mrs. Sarah Mountbatten-Windsor, but of course Sarah, Duchess of York has a better ring to it.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

David and Victoria Beckham to be invited to William and Kate's wedding | Mail Online
Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Royal Highness

A question to English native speakers:

the invitation invites the guest "to the marriage" of William and Catherine. In a comment to this article someone wrote that the invitation should have been "to the wedding", as it is the actual service but not "to the marriage" because the marriage only starts at the wedding?

Which wording is correct?

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding