The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Courtier

We have premiers for each province, as well as a Leiutenant-Governor (a provincial level Governor-General). I could see the GG or the PM being invited (or perhaps both?), but definitely not the Premiers or LGs.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Nobility

President Obama didn't receive an invitation but neither did President Sarkozy.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1

Not all of these Commonwealth countries have the Queen as the Head of State and so don't have a Governor-General!!!! For example South Africa and India are both republics, they have presidents, not a governor general. There are 15 Commonwealth countries that have a governor-general, so don't know where the number 60 comes from. Although I saw one suggestion, that retired Governors-general could be invited. Or, Australia has state governors, maybe they are being invited along with the Governor-General. That bumps up the number, do the individual Canadian provinces each have a governor?
I thought the announcement said the numbers included spouses so 15 governor generals plus spouse gives you 30. Plus the prime ministers from those countries gives you 60.

All the numbers quoted say over..... So that could allow for a few others
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Courtier

So Commonwealth PMs and/or GGs. Cool!. That takes care of 60+ guests. I'm excited to find out who the 40+ foreign royals are!! :)
Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam

So how is Kate the oldest then?
She's not.... The press just keep re-reporting this and it seems to have 'stuck as fact' but it's not true.....
Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Courtier

I know it's been said, but it is stunning that the Obama's will not be invited. I can't imagine they would overshadow the event, but it's definitely a weird statement to send out. They are one of the most (if not the most) prominent couple in the world.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I know it's been said, but it is stunning that the Obama's will not be invited. I can't imagine they would overshadow the event, but it's definitely a weird statement to send out. They are one of the most (if not the most) prominent couple in the world.
Zembla...it looks like not every head of state was invited. Which is quite right IMO. I don't think the Obama's feel slighted. William is the heir's heir. Its more important to pay attention to the couple's friends and family as well as members of the Commonwealth.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Nobility

Do you know how much people were invited to princess victoria wedding and how much for the reception after the wedding?

I have the answer to my question : 1100 in the cathedral, 600 for the reception after the wedding
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

Why would Marie-Chantal not be invited with CP Pavlos and his parents? I know some people really don't consider her royal, but could this really be the reason?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Who said she wasn't invited? I haven't heard she wasn't invited. Since she is Pavlos's wife...it would be rude to invite one without the other. In addition to William being the godfather of her eldest son.

Of the royals invited I think its going to be heirs and not too many monarchs. So from Denmark I would expect to see Frederik/Mary or Joachim/Marie, Victoria and Daniel from Sweden, Felipe and Letizia from Spain, WA and Maxima from the Netherlands, etc.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Ever weblink that I have read that has talked about the Greek royal family attending has failed to mention Marie-Chantal. I am assuming that she wasn't invited.

Here is one source: Non-Reigning Royals First to Say Yes to William’s Wedding Royalty in the News
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Zembla...it looks like not every head of state was invited. Which is quite right IMO. I don't think the Obama's feel slighted. William is the heir's heir. Its more important to pay attention to the couple's friends and family as well as members of the Commonwealth.
Well, I don't think Michelle or Barack would loudly complain about it -- they aren't five years old. It would look bad. It just sends out a peculiar message...that's all.

It will be interesting to see how many of the high profile guests from the Middle East come with all the turmoil - it may be considered a frivolous event to be seen at with all the unrest.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

I would agree with that assessment regarding the Middle East rulers.

In regards to the Obamas, we always have the State Visit.

Melania...in reference to Marie Chantal..for some reason I can't open the document. Most likely MC was invited but for whatever reason, can't attend. Again, I don't see how you can invite one person of a married couple and not the other, especially since you are a godparent to their son.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Speaking of Middle East rulers...

RoyalReporter (Richard Palmer): Anti-monarchy group Republic says the Queen has made a "catastrophic error" in reportedly inviting the King of Bahrain to the royal wedding. Five people died on Thursday in Bahrain when the King's troops tried to put down pro-democracy demonstrations.

I hope he wasn't invited. And if he was, I would hope he'd have the courtesy not to attend.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
Who said she wasn't invited? I haven't heard she wasn't invited. Since she is Pavlos's wife...it would be rude to invite one without the other. In addition to William being the godfather of her eldest son.

Of the royals invited I think its going to be heirs and not too many monarchs. So from Denmark I would expect to see Frederik/Mary or Joachim/Marie, Victoria and Daniel from Sweden, Felipe and Letizia from Spain, WA and Maxima from the Netherlands, etc.
I read the royals invited are closer to Williams generation so Victoria and Daniel yes but do you think WA and Max and Letizia and Felipe are considered same generation? Also I agree with you for MC from Greece- sure she was invited and if she not going probably due to conflict- Think we will see any of the Luxembourg RF there? Maybe Tessy or Guillaume?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not sure how royal wedding invitations should look, but I thought Kate and Wills invites were a bit plain...aren't there usually some kind of design on the invitations?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5
I'm not sure how royal wedding invitations should look, but I thought Kate and Wills invites were a bit plain...aren't there usually some kind of design on the invitations?
I think they wedding invites are pretty much the same style as previous royal weddings. :)
Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
That room is the formal dining room not the ballroom. It's got carpet on the floor! You can't dance on a carpeted floor! The ballroom has a wooden floor and no sideboards at the walls when food dishes are kept. They could very easily eat on one room and then open out into the ballroom where a band is stationed to play the night away. (This is what happened at the Swedish royal wedding last year, the final royal guests were see leaving at 4am! It was a good night!)
That's why I was like huh? Strange since that's the only thing that comes up when I type in ballroom Buckingham palace on google. Are there any pics available of the real ballroom?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I read the royals invited are closer to Williams generation so Victoria and Daniel yes but do you think WA and Max and Letizia and Felipe are considered same generation? Also I agree with you for MC from Greece- sure she was invited and if she not going probably due to conflict- Think we will see any of the Luxembourg RF there? Maybe Tessy or Guillaume?
If we are speaking peer/rank wise....all of them are on the same level as Charles. But age wise....William and Kate are 29 (right) and William and everyone is around 40. So yes, i think you will see WA and Maxima, or perhaps Constatjin (sp) and Laurentien (they attended Charles and Camilla's wedding). Definitely Haakon and Mette Marit. I think you will see the Grand Ducal couple at the wedding or Guillaume. Not Tessy and Louis.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
The invites are traditional. All recent invites that I've seen are nearly identical. Here's Diana and Charles' invite. http://thebridesguide.marthastewartw...d2-428x327.jpg

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding