The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I'm so surprised by this.
Will and Fergie must not have good relationship then. She is part of the family still regardless of the divorce. I wonder if she backed out on her own.

Does anyone know if Camilla's kids are invited??
Sarah isn't part of Williams family, she is just his cousins mother who we now know does not have a relationship with. Camilla and her children are William's family, so of course they will naturally attend. Especially since Camilla's goddaughter is a wee flowergirl and that William has been friends with Tom and Laura since childhood.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

And what about the Spencer family, who are Williams "real family"?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Administrator

What are you asking? If they have been invited?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
And what about the Spencer family, who are Williams "real family"?
Isn't one of the Spencer boys supposed to be one the groomsmen? The 16 year old son of Earl Spencer if I read right?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I didn't know they had been included in the attendants list?
But yes, I was asking if anyone thought they'd be invited.

I don't like the argument "Sarah is their cousins mother" and Camilla's family is their "real" family. Sarah was Williams aunt for 14 years and Harrys for 11. I am surprised by her absence.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:

I don't like the argument "Sarah is their cousins mother" and Camilla's family is their "real" family. Sarah was Williams aunt for 14 years and Harrys for 11. I am surprised by her absence.
You caught me as I went rummaging back to where I'd heard about Louis Spencer as a part of the wedding. It *is* the DM so who knows if its true.

"Princess Diana’s nephew the Honourable Louis Spencer,16-year-old son of Earl Spencer, is expected to be a ‘groomsman’, similar to an usher."

Read more: Royal wedding: Prince William names Harry as best man but no wild stag night | Mail Online
Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I wasn't surprised she wasn't invited, not because she isn't family to them (as you say a cousin's mother is still family in my opinion even if she is no longer married to your cousin's father) but more because of who she actually is & her reputation/notoriety. I'm not saying that she'd turn up & cause mayhem or something but just that if they invited her there would be the potential for the media (not her necessarily) to make it into something that it isn't, cause problems/make drama where none existed & really, why risk that on such a big, public day?

Plus really the RF isn't quite like your average family, especially when it comes to public events & the heir to throne (or in this case the heir to the heir). There is a lot of protocol, a lot of fuss of how things come across, a lot of attention on exactly who sits where, who is seen with who, who is allowed where etc etc. Everything has significance when it comes to these public events & nothing can be left to chance so I wasn't really expecting Fergie to get an invite simply because of her history/notoriety with the RF. Again not because she was being punished or whatever for past behaviour or because she'd somehow ruin the day herself but simply to avoid any potential risk that the media could make some drama out of anything/anyone attending. It's why I also think that Kate's Uncle Gary may not be invited or if he is invited he's not going to be seen. This isn't jsut your average family wedding, this is a big, stage-managed down to the smallest detail with a great emphasis on protocol & the smallest thing to us could be of massive significance to the RF & their protocol etc & no way they'd risk anything causing unneccessary drama when a large of portion world will be watching
Old 02-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Two questions- on the invite what's the KG stand for after William's name? Also is it possible the media mean their media 'invites'? I imagine they would have some media in the church to write in it....
Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Two questions- on the invite what's the KG stand for after William's name? Also is it possible the media mean their media 'invites'? I imagine they would have some media in the church to write in it....
Knight of The Garter.
Those media people won't be taking pictures or have actually invites.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
KG stands for Knight of the Garter.

Edit: oh well, better two responses than none at all.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The KG is to signify that he's a Knight of the Garter. I don't know about the media invites though.

Edit: Haha, 3 answers!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Serene Highness

Please don't laugh at me, but....

I suppose there's no chance he would wear his KG robes?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Nobility

Royal Wedding: Duchess of York planning to snub Prince William's and Kate Middleton's nuptials - mirror.co.uk

The official word from Sarah's spokesman is;

“She doesn’t know whether she has been invited yet but she will not be going anyway.
“She never expected to be invited. She doesn’t think it will be relevant or appropriate for her to attend.”

Maybe todays headlines reporting that she hasn't been invited might be a bit misleading when you read her official statement
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I doubt that's going to happen.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

No, but I'm almost certain he'll wear the Garter star and sash.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7

The KG is to signify that he's a Knight of the Garter. I don't know about the media invites though.

Edit: Haha, 3 answers!
Thank you 3 is good.... Follow up, what is the role of a Knight of the Garter? Does it mean he is a knight like Paul McCartney? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff..... If yes does that mean he is Sir Prince William? :) lol
Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I don't know what more needs to be explained. Sarah has not been part of William's life since before Diana's death. She herself has stated this. they have no relationship.

Excerpt from interview: Duchess of York: Diana, the Queen & I - Sarah Ferguson - Harper's BAZAAR

But that was not to be — a loss that also affected the duchess's relationship with Prince William and Prince Harry, with whom she's had no contact "since Diana and I quit speaking. I'd like to — we had lovely times together — but I don't want either thinking that I'm trading on my friendship with them, pushing myself on them, though I'll always stand by the boys 100 percent. They've grown up exceptionally well — leaders, role models — but then Charles is a great man and Camilla is fabulous. I've known her my entire life because she and my mother [killed in a 1998 car wreck] were always best friends, and she was so nice to me. I love her" — an affection that apparently caused no problems with Diana. "Actually, I didn't see much of Camilla then," she says.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you 3 is good.... Follow up, what is the role of a Knight of the Garter? Does it mean he is a knight like Paul McCartney? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff..... If yes does that mean he is Sir Prince William? :) lol
Not sure I can explain it very well but it's the highest (and I think the oldest) honour in the British honours system (it's higher than the ordinary knighthood, which is what Paul McCartney has). It's the only one that the Queen decides who receives it - all other honours are suggested & decided upon by the government at the time & the Queen pretty much just has to go along with whoever they choose each year while this one she decides who gets it & the government have no say in it - plus there is only a certain number allowed at any one time, 24 I think. Not sure what a Knight of the Garter title before their name is but I know it's not Sir...might just be Knight.

Here's the wiki page as just realised that'll probably help more & not veer this thread way off topic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter
Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

When it comes to appointing members of her own family to Orders the Goverment of the day don't usually care too much but they do have influence over other appointments. The only Order the Monarch as sole control over is the Royal Victorian Order and that is because it is awarded to those who have personally served the Monarch so by it's very nature it is of no concern to any outside body.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

No. Paul McCartney is not a knight in the same manner of William as a Knight of the Garter. Knight of the Garter and Knight Commander of the British Empire are two different orders/distinctions.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding