The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
. . . . . . . . I understand the queen mum when she married went in ordinary horse drawn and returned in the other. not sure
Limousines were not very common in April of 1923. Many families still owned carriages instead of motor cars at that time so I am guessing that there is not a lot that can be read into her travelling to the Abbey by carriage.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
I believe it was NBC news here in the USA that said the Queen was not pleased with the choice of the Limo. I also heard it on one of the TLC channel specials about the royal wedding.
The US news picked it up from an American reporter who wrote an article for the HuffPost (complete with direct quotes! ). Several British royal reporters have called it rubbish.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found this video on their accents very interesting.

Wedding Royale: The Future King’s Speech - Yahoo! News
Old 02-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Limousines were not very common in April of 1923. Many families still owned carriages instead of motor cars at that time so I am guessing that there is not a lot that can be read into her travelling to the Abbey by carriage.
Marg: guess again then; Elizabeth was picked up in front of her house or place of residence and got into the carriage without assistance.I have watched the footage of it.Perhaps you cannot read into it but that does not mean that there was not actually a reason for it. I think I will start to read the Queen Mum's gargantuan biography to find out more.Catherines's decison is typical of what is going on in the wedding itself.If Wills goes to the abbey in a carriage then Catherine should.Unless there is a shortage of carriages.Also to answer post 2720 by NGalitzine.The question here is what excactly is the point of taking a limo- is it the gown? is it something else- can U explain instead of deriding and saying not this and not that . What is it that prompts anyone to do that?
Could it simply be the gown and the train? Could it be security measure?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have to disagree with the whole accent thing, whilst William speech is nowhere like his father or grandmother I still consider it quite posh. Kate on the other hand seems extremely posh, my suspicion is that the accent is put on and may have had vocal coaching. At the final unbroadcast bit of the engagement interview, you see Kate say "I'm not very good at that" and it sounds like a normal english accent and not like the posher accent she used during the interview.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I have to disagree with the whole accent thing, whilst William speech is nowhere like his father or grandmother I still consider it quite posh. Kate on the other hand seems extremely posh, my suspicion is that the accent is put on and may have had vocal coaching. At the final unbroadcast bit of the engagement interview, you see Kate say "I'm not very good at that" and it sounds like a normal english accent and not like the posher accent she used during the interview.
I'm far from an expert, but Kate sounds a lot like Eugenie, who also went to Marlborough. So maybe it's a school thing. Notably, Eugenie does not sound that much like her sister who went to a different school. I also read recently a piece by a royal reporter who had spoken to her before and said she sounded the same in the interview. I'll see if I can find it...
Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Marg: guess again then; Elizabeth was picked up in front of her house or place of residence and got into the carriage without assistance.I have watched the footage of it.Perhaps you cannot read into it but that does not mean that there was not actually a reason for it. I think I will start to read the Queen Mum's gargantuan biography to find out more.Catherines's decison is typical of what is going on in the wedding itself.If Wills goes to the abbey in a carriage then Catherine should.Unless there is a shortage of carriages.Also to answer post 2720 by NGalitzine.The question here is what excactly is the point of taking a limo- is it the gown? is it something else- can U explain instead of deriding and saying not this and not that . What is it that prompts anyone to do that?
Ther is certainly no shortage at carriages. At the Wedding of Charles and Diana the entire Royal Family (from the Queen up to Prince and Princess Michale of Kent) travelled in open carriages and there is also a vast collection of closed carriages.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Could it be her allergy against horses? A young bridesmaid at Charles' and Diana's wedding, I think it was Indira Hicks, travelled back from St. Paul's
to BP in the Glass Coach and had an allergy attack there. Probably the Coach, as it is historic, is not really closed and the horses are quite near. So it's believable that hairs of the horses are whisked through the tail moves into the coach. That was no problem for Diana, obviously, but could become a problem for Catherine. And just imagine what happens if the bride has an allergic attack on the way to the wedding?

On the way back they use an open carriage (if weather permits it, if there is April rain, I bet they'll switch to the limo), where the concentration of horse hairs is minimal compared to a closed carriage, so Catherine suely can cope. She could take a bit of anti histamines while they are away to sign the registry and then walk out of the church with William, manage the ride to BP and have a bit of a pause if necessary then without the public noticing it.

For me this makes much more sense than risk the wedding service.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Could it be her allergy against horses?
For heaven's sake there are numerous medications you can take &, given the fact that Catherine regularly attends the Polo with William, I'm pretty sure she already takes something to alleviate the symptoms. I would hazard a guess that they are not really that severe. She has also been seen regularly at the races so it can't be as bad as people on these boards are making out.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Majesty

You are absolutely correct wymanda. I think this allergy is just supposition gone crazy, expecially on this thread. I't gotten so bad one would would be forgiven for thinking she would go into anaphalactic shock if she came within a couple of yards of a horse!

Catherine's choice to ride to the Abbey in a car could just as easily be put down to her being more than a little nervous and totally exposed with just her and her father in a carriage, a situation neither of them are used to. Or, she could just hate carriages . . . . . . who knows? Who cares? We can all go round in ever decreasing circles when it just comes down to nothing more than their own personal choice. Nothing more and nothing less!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
For heaven's sake there are numerous medications you can take &, given the fact that Catherine regularly attends the Polo with William, I'm pretty sure she already takes something to alleviate the symptoms. I would hazard a guess that they are not really that severe. She has also been seen regularly at the races so it can't be as bad as people on these boards are making out.
For heaven's sake, Wymanda: we are talking a closed carriage here, which is housed normally not far away from the stables and has been used in connection with horses for generations. A carriage where already somebody had problems with allergies before.

You're not Catherine's doctor - I'm neither, but I suffer from heavy allergies and the idea to come that close to animals I'm allergic to in a surrounding which is potentially poisoned by their hairs is simply terrible. Of course they could clean the carriage carefully and try their best but why should they if Catherine can come safely by car? Why should they take this risk?

The fact that she attends polo, raxces and can ride in open carriages is not a contradiction per se. Was she ever seen at the races in a stable or at the "ring" - so in really close contact to the horses? Or was she just a spectator further away? I've only ever seen pics of her further away from the horses and can't remember any hugs given to William in his riding clothes.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I am always amazed how people assume because one person has something (i.e. allergies) they have the same symptoms and experiences as another person. That's not the case at all.

That being said, we don't know the real reason why a car is being used to and a carriage from the Abbey. It could be the allergies, the cost effeciences, whatever. We will never know unless someone with insider knowledge speaks about it and gives their name. Cause unnamed Palace sources doesn't work for me all the time.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that responses to the wedding indicate that most people are disappointed in the choice of a car. They want the glass coach.

(I hope Kate and William reconsider).
Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Aristocracy

I have a question. I am fairly new to this forum so I am not exactly sure how things work.......... Is there going to be a live chat on the day of the wedding so we can all ooh and aah her dress or chuckle if one of them flubs their vows?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
For heaven's sake, Wymanda: we are talking a closed carriage here, which is housed normally not far away from the stables and has been used in connection with horses for generations. A carriage where already somebody had problems with allergies before.

You're not Catherine's doctor - I'm neither, but I suffer from heavy allergies and the idea to come that close to animals I'm allergic to in a surrounding which is potentially poisoned by their hairs is simply terrible. Of course they could clean the carriage carefully and try their best but why should they if Catherine can come safely by car? Why should they take this risk?

The fact that she attends polo, raxces and can ride in open carriages is not a contradiction per se. Was she ever seen at the races in a stable or at the "ring" - so in really close contact to the horses? Or was she just a spectator further away? I've only ever seen pics of her further away from the horses and can't remember any hugs given to William in his riding clothes.
I think the point Wymanda is trying to make is why does it have to be about hourse allergies and not for any number of entirely different reasons? The fact is that unless Kate chooses to share those reasons with the public, then we are all just speculating. It IS a personal choice and it IS her wedding day.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

I, personally, don't even really see the big deal with her using a car on the way to the Church. I mean you'll get the horses & carriages on the way back to BP. You're not going to miss out on that aspect of pomp but it also allows for what I consider to be a nice symbolic gesture of Kate's position changing from commoner to Princess, car to carriage etc (whether this was intentional or not is entirely up to your own interpretation I suppose, for me it has been an intentional choice behind using the car & then later the carriage & it's not to do with allergies etc.) Also I think there is an big aspect of not wanting to appear overly lavish, yes there has to be pomp but I really do think that everyone organising this event is being very sensitive to how lavish it appears to people as they know if they are seen to go OTT then they'll be an easy target for anti-royalists, media etc that just want to find any reason at all to be negative about the royals.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I think the point Wymanda is trying to make is why does it have to be about hourse allergies and not for any number of entirely different reasons? The fact is that unless Kate chooses to share those reasons with the public, then we are all just speculating. It IS a personal choice and it IS her wedding day.
I absolutely agree with you. My point was only that it had been mentioned that she is allergic, so she could have a very "simple" reason for her choice that might have nothing to do with all those speculations about other reasons which often have a bit of accusation against her or include musings about her being concious of the fact that she is just a "lowly commoner" and wants to show that in a symbolic way.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebee34 View Post
I have a question. I am fairly new to this forum so I am not exactly sure how things work.......... Is there going to be a live chat on the day of the wedding so we can all ooh and aah her dress or chuckle if one of them flubs their vows?
Yes, at their topic in royal weddings section. It will be open closer to the wedding. Have a look at CP Victoria and Daniel topic, you will feel the atmosphere
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

Is it true that Catherine and her father will not be leaving for the Abbey from BP...instead they will be departing from the Goring Hotel...what a sight that would be for a carriage to stop at the front door of the hotel waiting for Catherine and her father to be taken to the Abbey...
Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Is it true that Catherine and her father will not be leaving for the Abbey from BP...instead they will be departing from the Goring Hotel...what a sight that would be for a carriage to stop at the front door of the hotel waiting for Catherine and her father to be taken to the Abbey...
It is unlikely they will leave from the Goring. Whilst the Middleton family is expected to spend the night at the Goring, it is expected that the Catherine and her father will leave for the Abbey from either of BP or St James' - the exact location has not yet been confirmed.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding