The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
Ok, I looked it all up. Here's the information on the bridesmaids and page boys

The Attendants

Bridesmaid: The Honorable Margarita Armstrong -Jones, age 8, daughter of David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley and Serena Armstrong Jones (nee Stanhope), Vicountess Linley, and grandson of HRH Princess Margaret Windsor (deceased) and Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon. Miss Armstrong-Jones is 1st Cousin once removed of HRH Prince William of Wales, and grandniece HM Queen Elizabeth II.

Bridesmaid: Miss Grace Van Custem, age 3, daughter of Mr. Edward Van Custem and Lady Tamara Van Custem (nee Grosvenor) daughter of the Duke of Westminster. Miss Van Custem is HRH Prince William of Wales' Goddaughter.
I believe the press release indicates that Miss Grace van Cutsem is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh van Cutsem. Rose van Cutsem was formerly an Astor, not Grosvenor, as was pointed out by somebody else further back in this thread. Also, William and Margarita Armstrong-Jones are second cousins, as their fathers are first cousins.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

The question remains unaswered (for me at least) as to whether Kate has any young cousins who would have been suitable to be attendants at her wedding. My guess is that there are not and so her sister was chosen to be maid of honour. I am quite sure that if Kate had a young neice or nephew or God-child they would have been included too. Personally, when I was Kate and William's age, my sister hadn't had children yet so had I married I would have had to rely on my partner's family....funny thing is there are no young children on his side either!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Wrong; it is your opinion that it is William's wedding. I say that it is their wedding, or is he marrying himself?

I think that your comment is very presumptuous. Only because William is the royal and royal protocol has to be followed doesn't automatically mean that he has more say in things and/or that his opinion counts most to make decisions final.
You make it sound like she has to be at his beck and calling and should be happy with whatever preference of hers is included at all.
I agree; a marriage is, first and foremost, a partnership. William can't always have his way even if he IS royalty or the partnership won't work out. Both partners have to have an equal say in a successful marriage IMO.

It's one thing if Kate is okay with this because of whatever choices they made TOGETHER; its another if its just one of those "he's royalty, this is how its going to be done" things.

IMO- if it was the latter it sets a pretty bad precedent for their relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
The question remains unaswered (for me at least) as to whether Kate has any young cousins who would have been suitable to be attendants at her wedding. My guess is that there are not and so her sister was chosen to be maid of honour. I am quite sure that if Kate had a young neice or nephew or God-child they would have been included too. Personally, when I was Kate and William's age, my sister hadn't had children yet so had I married I would have had to rely on my partner's family....funny thing is there are no young children on his side either!
I have to say- this is true of my family as well. Perhaps Kate just didn't have anyone that she trusted or liked enough to have in the wedding party aside from her sister.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Maybe she didn't want to expose her young relatives to the public as their only claim to be celebre is their relationship to her. Probably she's had enough to be called "Wisteria sisters" together with Pippa and does not want this kind of "exposure" (necessary for her and non-changeble for Pippa) on the small ones of her family. Apart from that - does Michael Middleton has a brother or sister? Carole M. has her infamous brother, whose daughter, if he has one at all, would surely be a bit problematic.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

With regard to who is making the decisions for the wedding, I would like to think that William and Kate are discussing things properly by telling eachother what they want and how they want things. There are certain traditions and protocols that will be adhered to, but I doubt in this day and age Kate is being left out of things. At the end of the day, if I was marrying into royalty, I would have a clue how to organise a royal wedding and would need all the advice and suggestions I could get. There would be certains things I woudl insist on such as a favourite piece of music for instance, but I wouldn't try and push for, say, heavy metal in Westminster Abbey even if heavy metal was my favourite thing.

I am sure that at the end of the wedding day we will see clearly the influences that Kate had put in to the event - we will certainly know by then what choices of things were made by whom!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

While I'm sure Kate has a great deal of input, I understand what KittyAtlanta means- the arrangements (Westminster Abbey, public holiday, carriages, street parties, television coverage, etc.) would be the same, no matter who William was marrying.

Basically, it's all about him, not her.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
While I'm sure Kate has a great deal of input, I understand what KittyAtlanta means- the arrangements (Westminster Abbey, public holiday, carriages, street parties, television coverage, etc.) would be the same, no matter who William was marrying.

Basically, it's all about him, not her.
Now that you have put it like that I understand KittyAtlanta's comment better, but I still disagree.

The thing you mention is what is called protocol - not the entire wedding and all surrounding things and activities.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Now that you have put it like that I understand KittyAtlanta's comment better, but I still disagree.

The thing you mention is what is called protocol - not the entire wedding and all surrounding things and activities.
Lets face it. Both William and Kate were well aware of the type of wedding they would have to have when they decided to marry. They took their time getting engaged as I do believe William wanted to make sure Kate knew what she was getting into and what her life would be like married to him. This couple comes across as a very unified team and I'd be really surprised if any of the decisions whether it be the attendants, the place for the ceremony, the honeymoon etc were NOT made jointly by the pair. They are going all out to make sure that no one is forgotten in their big day from Diana's engagement ring to having Camilla's granddaughter as a bridesmaid. I think both of them are putting a lot of hours of thought into every detail of this wedding and they are doing it together. However, there is one aspect of this wedding that I know will be Kate's alone and that is her dress. She's definitely keeping that big secret from William until the big day.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Serene Highness

Is that not what I am also saying then? Making joint decisions.

I agree about her dress - he has nothing to say about that
I wish I could say beforehand that I am sure that she will look great, but I am a bit hesitant. I don't know what to expect.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?
He doesn't have a say in everything. It isn't his wedding, it is their wedding. William cannot marry William. Opinion and fact are two different things.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Muriel, my comment is very straight forward. It is a royal wedding from beginning to end. William is the royal and has more say in things. So, let's be honest, OK?
This is a ROYAL wedding being paid for by the Queen and Prince Charles, and like all Royal weddings there are certain traditions that are usually followed. Therefore, although William AND Kate have their say in making this as personal as possible, if the Queen wants certain traditions adhered to, then that is the way it will be. Thus far there seems to be a compromise on tradition combined with William AND Kate's wishes.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Royal Highness

Possibly Kate and William's wishes are the same, thus it maybe 'william's wedding' but also Kate's....when I got married I lead the decision making but my husband agreed with every decision so thus while some may have considered it 'my' wedding it was in accuality 'ours'......
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
He doesn't have a say in everything. It isn't his wedding, it is their wedding. William cannot marry William. Opinion and fact are two different things.
Its been obvious so far that William and Kate want to do things their way for this wedding. Actually Kate is really lucky that William wants to be so involved in the planning of the wedding. I've known a lot of brides that were handed the entire package of planning the wedding while the groom is off playing golf somewhere or something. We have to remember too that he does have his duties at the RAF base.

If there is anyone that would be overriding a decision of William and/or Kate on matters, it would be the courtiers and HM herself or they'd at least try to. William and Kate both could decide they wanted her to arrive by hot air balloon and have clowns in the bridal party and have her wedding march be "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" while she merrily skips up the aisle to join Will but it would be the courtiers that would squash that one. IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Lets face it. Both William and Kate were well aware of the type of wedding they would have to have when they decided to marry...
Agreed, it's not like William & Kate have only known each other a few months & barely even dated at all. They known each other years, dated for years, lived together in some sense for at least a fair amount of time, Kate has seen the media attention, been to some events & seen somewhat what goes on & I'm sure that over the years they've talked about marriage & what it would actually entail, specifically as to what it would mean for her. Kate is not going into this blind & naive, swept along on royal protocol & whatever William's wants, she knows what she's getting into & obviously has accepted it as what happens if she's marries William. Whilst perhaps the detials are not necessarily her actual outright choosing, I doubt there's anything going on that she actually disagrees with or is unacceptable to her.

Also I was thinking that perhaps Kate does have her own friends etc who perhaps in a "normal" wedding would have played a role as bridesmaids or whatever but with this being a wedding that is of huge media interest, shown on tv to potentially millions etc, perhaps any of her friends actually didn't really fancy that kind of pressured, front row seat type role. I know if I were asked to take part in a wedding such as this I'd run a mile to be honest, I'd be too scared of mucking something up & ruining it all inf ront of millions on tv etc. Just pure speculation/imagination on my part of course
Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Possibly Kate and William's wishes are the same, thus it maybe 'william's wedding' but also Kate's....when I got married I lead the decision making but my husband agreed with every decision so thus while some may have considered it 'my' wedding it was in accuality 'ours'......

But then the question has to be asked ... did he agree because that was what he wanted or because he didn't want to upset you?

When I got married there were certainly things I didn't want but he did so we compromised. I couldn't imagine having him agree to everything I wanted or me to everything he wanted - that would be just too weird for us.

Back to the topic - I am sure Kate is having some say in things, William having some say and the Queen having her say - she is hosting it and so has the right to say yes or no to some things - like anyone hosting for a wedding.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.
And yet I've read reports where supposedly the Queen actually suggested Kate arrive by car! Lol, ah the consistency of the media!
Old 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

But then the question has to be asked ... did he agree because that was what he wanted or because he didn't want to upset you?.
Haha -maybe both :)

My point is like yours, maybe every one is having a bit of say (William, Kate, HM) and on somethings they agree.....for example possibly both Kate AND William wanted Camilla's granddaughter and his godchildren in the wedding....just my thought
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Its been obvious so far that William and Kate want to do things their way for this wedding. Actually Kate is really lucky that William wants to be so involved in the planning of the wedding. I've known a lot of brides that were handed the entire package of planning the wedding while the groom is off playing golf somewhere or something. We have to remember too that he does have his duties at the RAF base.

If there is anyone that would be overriding a decision of William and/or Kate on matters, it would be the courtiers and HM herself or they'd at least try to. William and Kate both could decide they wanted her to arrive by hot air balloon and have clowns in the bridal party and have her wedding march be "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips" while she merrily skips up the aisle to join Will but it would be the courtiers that would squash that one. IIRC, HM was not happy about Kate arriving in a car but that is what they decided would be the best.
Osipi, you do make me laugh!!! What a picture you paint!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Mentions Kate kicking herself;
Urban Outfitters launches chain of vintage-style bridal boutiques | Mail Online
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
The green shoes are sorta cute but the other dresses don't seem right for future Queen's wedding- and IMO are kinda ugly too

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding