The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Nobility

Jaya a question for you: I dont know if charlene has sisters or not. But if she has one and she asked her to be her bridesmaid who it means the same thing you said about Kate and Pippa? Probably not because you spend your time on the thread dedicated to albert and charlene to bash kate and william and do the same on the theard regarding kate and william.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nepotism?! How is having your family apart of your wedding nepotism. Was it nepotism when P.Mary had her sisters has bridesmaids, no, it was Mary having her sisters with her on her big day. Pippa already had a public profile and that will continue even more regardless of whether or not she is a bridesmaid at the wedding. If you can't post a sensible or decent response in this thread then please don't visit it.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would have been surprised if Pippa wasn't a bridesmaid.

Diana's sisters were somewhat older and married, if my fading memory serves me correctly so she went with younger girls. Sarah's sister was also married by the time she married. I think that makes a difference.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
If her sister Pippa www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Middleton is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association. LIke Grace Kelly's sister Peggy who was a maid of honour at Grace's wedding she was expected to marry a Prince instead Grace did. That was the last time I recall a sister as bridesamaid.I think the Grand Duchss of Luxembourg also had her sis in some capacity. Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out and that the long goodbye at Catherine's rite of passage is happy with her sister at her side.
In Denmark Mary had both her sisters as bridesmaids.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
If her sister Pippa www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippa_Middleton is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association. LIke Grace Kelly's sister Peggy who was a maid of honour at Grace's wedding she was expected to marry a Prince instead Grace did. That was the last time I recall a sister as bridesamaid.I think the Grand Duchss of Luxembourg also had her sis in some capacity. Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out and that the long goodbye at Catherine's rite of passage is happy with her sister at her side.
Princess Mary "elevated" both her sisters and her best friend in just such a way!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If Kate is having Pippa as her maid of honor/bridesmaid it is solely because that is what she wishes to do. Pure and simple. Just as William will be having his brother stand up with him. This is not a business deal. This is not a red carpet show put on for the billions of viewers in the audience. Its not about anyone other than William and Kate. As much as she is marrying into the Firm, William will also become part of the Middleton family.. it works both ways.

I'm sure that over the years Pippa will be getting lots of exposure as you say seeing that she just might be Kate's lady-in-waiting in the future. Nepotism? I don't think so. I think it is having someone close to you that you know you can trust and depend on no matter what.

Pippa Middleton to be Kate

Thank you, this is very nice said.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Gentry

An announcement

The Prince of Wales - The Wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton - An update on Maid of Honour and Bridesmaids, Best Man and Page Boys
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Commoner

Best Man, not Supporter? Breaking with protocol?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Majesty

Interesting to note that Eliza, the daughter of William's step-sister, Laura, will be part of the bridal party - a nod to the step-family that William is part of.

BBC News - Royal wedding: William picks brother Harry as best man

Royal wedding: William picks brother Harry as best man

The princes visited South Africa together last year as part of an official tour
Prince William has chosen his brother Harry to be his best man at his wedding, while Kate Middleton's sister Philippa will be her maid of honour.
The couple will marry at Westminster Abbey on Friday, 29 April.
Among the bridesmaids are seven-year-old Lady Louise Windsor, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Wessex
Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Majesty

Prince William: best man to be brother Harry - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Prince William chooses brother Harry to be his best man

Prince Harry is to be best man at the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, a St James's Palace spokesman has announced
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
In Denmark Mary had both her sisters as bridesmaids.
Autumn Kelly had Zara Philips as her maid of honor.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Commoner

I hope those young bridesmaids behave themselves
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Prince Harry to be William's best man and Kate Middleton's sister to be maid of honour | Mail Online

http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebri...02-2011/55691/
Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO, it's normal and natural for a bride to have her sister as a Maid of Honour, and for a bridegroom to have his brother as a best man.

Phillippa is nearer to Kate than Zara; for Kate Zara will be a "borrowed" family.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

Cheers to William and Kate for having Eliza Lopes as a bridesmaid. A very nice gesture from William to his step-mothers family.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
IMO, it's normal and natural for a bride to have her sister as a Maid of Honour, and for a bridegroom to have his brother as a best man.

Phillippa is nearer to Kate than Zara; for Kate Zara will be a "borrowed" family.
I think the Zara reference was another example to show that sisters have been in the royal bridal party before. Zara, of course the sister of Peter when he married Autumn.

Honestly, I am a little taken aback by the notion that having one's sister as a maid of honor for a royal wedding is a "opportunistic form of nepotism." She's her sister for goodness sake.

Not at all surprised by Louise and Margarita. Though I am pleased as punch about Margarita...I knew she was going to be one!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think the Zara reference was another example to show that sisters have been in the royal bridal party before. Zara, of course the sister of Peter when he married Autumn.

Honestly, I am a little taken aback by the notion that having one's sister as a maid of honor for a royal wedding is a "opportunistic form of nepotism." She's her sister for goodness sake.

Not at all surprised by Louise and Margarita. Though I am pleased as punch about Margarita...I knew she was going to be one!
Indeed, it's an absurd point of argument if you ask me. The only people who I could imagine not wanting their various family members playing a part in their wedding would be people who have fallen out with their family or that don't have any family. Next thing you know people will be claiming that Kate's Dad walking her down the aisle is nepotism & a blatent attempt to boost the public profile of Party Pieces! *rolleyes*

The choice of bestman/maid of honour & bridesmaids/pageboys seem like the obvious, natural choices to me. I'd have been utterly shocked if Pippa & Harry weren't maid of honour/best man.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Iluvbertie,
Beatrice and Eugenie York might as well not exist and that is a sad commentary on that situation..as this was perfect opportunity to have them.Lady Louise is a kind gesture and loving one. The Queen had bridesmaids that were all the same age. - young ladies etc...... I have to wonder whether Sarah will even show up-The decision to possibly have Catherine's sis there as bridesmaid might have called for a unified field in age-for the bridesmaids; this is all over the age board- mostly children and teenagers her sis may look like a sore thumb.. quite a mix-yet an opportunity to have Beatrice and Eugenie to participate for once and to possibly mend fences alas!
There is no disrespect or snubbing on Catherine's part in regards to not asking Beatrice and Eugenie to be bridesmaids. Nor is there a divide between them and the rest of the Royal family due to their mother's actions. Why would there be?

With the exception of Pippa and Harry being Maid of Honor and Best Man, the rest of the wedding party choices follows tradition of previous Royal weddings where children are invited to participate rather than adults.

Quote:
I do not see a peacemaker of initiative in the wedding arena.. one to unify rather than divide. These choices ingratiate the couple to the status quo and the notions that they are doing things their own way and with a hint of iconclasm is but a fallacy.Those are popular choices and not of precedence really. However it is their wedding and they are doing it as they please. It might be regarded as of form contemptuous selection and exclusion..and continuing the favoritism that prevails JMO
Who does Catherine need to make peace with and why does her choices divide rather than unify? This is a Royal Wedding. Not a session of Parliament.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Can someone remind me who is Mrs Hugh Van Cutsem? Is she the Duke of Westminster's daughter or an Astor, or someone else? It's easier to keep track of the Van Cutsems by the women they marry.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Nobility

Pippa and Harry as Maid of Honour and Best Man

IMHO, this says a great deal about Catherine and Pr. William. That family members are their closest companions and that they would seek to honour and involve them in such a meaningful way gives a glimpse into the characters of each that I find quite appealing.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding