The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2521  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
And that is why I am informing you of Diana's attendance.

We won't get into a discussion of the political and/or economic climate.
__________________

__________________
.

  #2522  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
This thread is not going to turn into a bashing debate about the Obamas.
Agreed. Sorry I didn't see this before my last post.
__________________

  #2523  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,304
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Express Yourself :: Scottish honeymoon after Royal Wedding

Prince William and Kate Middleton are being tipped to spend part of their honeymoon at Balmoral.

It is claimed the newlyweds are likely to visit the Queen’s Scottish estate for a few days before flying to another romantic destination.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Royal wedding: Louise Windsor ‘so thrilled’ to be Kate Middleton’s bridesmaid

Kate Middleton has chosen the Queen’s youngest granddaughter as one of her bridesmaids.

Lady Louise Windsor, the seven year-old daughter of Prince Edward and wife Sophie, has been asked to accompany Kate down the aisle as she marries Prince William on April 29.
  #2524  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indianapolis, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
From what I have read, she got permission to tour the palace with her daughters. To me, that means she asked and was granted permission. Not that they queen personally invited her and her daughters to tour the palace on her own accord. That to me does not imply a relationship beyond courtesy being extended to a First Lady.

I agree that if she invites one Head of State, then it would offend others if they are not invited.
I remember when charles and diana were married nancy and ronald reagan were invited. she attended he did not becuase it was not an offical state occasion. i bet the same will happen thsi time. however, the first ladies really arent that important in my opinion to be invited to what should be a family occasion. if they arent friends, then they shouldnt be treated as such.
  #2525  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
That's fine, I was just saying that there are very valid and important reasons IMO why I don't think it's a good idea for either of them to attend. I could care less who other countries choose to send to represent them.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #2526  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Attending a funeral is obviously different than attending a wedding. But I digress...

Does anyone know or hear if/who will be attending from the royal houses of Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, etc?
  #2527  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: indianapolis, United States
Posts: 218
kudos for catherine to chose to have her sister as a bridesmaid instead of a future cousin in law. what girl wouldnt want their sister to stand up wit them on the most important day in her life?
  #2528  
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
I remember when charles and diana were married nancy and ronald reagan were invited. she attended he did not becuase it was not an offical state occasion. i bet the same will happen thsi time. however, the first ladies really arent that important in my opinion to be invited to what should be a family occasion. if they arent friends, then they shouldnt be treated as such.
Prince Charles as the heir to the throne had a state wedding. Therefore, all Heads of State were invited. Prince William is second in line and this is not a formal state wedding. There lies the difference.
  #2529  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
I think we could argue this to the cows come home and the issue would still be up for debate. Based on what we know, Michelle Obama has not been invited so until the invite is in the mail, this is all just talk.

For the record, I think funerals are just as important as weddings. I believe Nancy Reagan also attended the wedding of Andrew and Sarah. Wasn't his wedding also not an official state event?

I wish we had official confirmation regarding the bridal party than just media/tabloid reports.
__________________
.

  #2530  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think we could argue this to the cows come home and the issue would still be up for debate. Based on what we know, Michelle Obama has not been invited so until the invite is in the mail, this is all just talk.

For the record, I think funerals are just as important as weddings. I believe Nancy Reagan also attended the wedding of Andrew and Sarah. Wasn't his wedding also not an official state event?

I wish we had official confirmation regarding the bridal party than just media/tabloid reports.
Yes you are right. Nancy did attend Prince Andrew's wedding, but again that was a State Wedding where Heads of State were invited. As to why this was a State Wedding? I would assume that it is due to Andrew being the Sovereign's second son. Wasn't Princess Anne's wedding also a State occasion? Although Edward is also a Sovereign's son, he may have not wanted a State Wedding and opted for a more intimate affair.

I'm not sure how the protocol works for State Weddings. Perhaps someone who does know can chime in.
  #2531  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Yes you are right. Nancy did attend Prince Andrew's wedding, but again that was a State Wedding where Heads of State were invited. As to why this was a State Wedding? I would assume that it is due to Andrew being the Sovereign's second son. Wasn't Princess Anne's wedding also a State occasion? Although Edward is also a Sovereign's son, he may have not wanted a State Wedding and opted for a more intimate affair.

I'm not sure how the protocol works for State Weddings. Perhaps someone who does know can chime in.

The children of the monarch did have State Wedding but by Edward's we have seen the failure of those 'state' weddings, the disaster of the Diana years, her death etc. A lower key wedding was called for.
  #2532  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
I remember when charles and diana were married nancy and ronald reagan were invited. she attended he did not becuase it was not an offical state occasion. i bet the same will happen thsi time. however, the first ladies really arent that important in my opinion to be invited to what should be a family occasion. if they arent friends, then they shouldnt be treated as such.
Actually, Nancy came alone because the President was still recovering from serious wounds suffered from the assassination attempt 4 months earlier.
  #2533  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Queen Penelope's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Camrose, Canada
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
I think we could argue this to the cows come home and the issue would still be up for debate. Based on what we know, Michelle Obama has not been invited so until the invite is in the mail, this is all just talk.

For the record, I think funerals are just as important as weddings. I believe Nancy Reagan also attended the wedding of Andrew and Sarah. Wasn't his wedding also not an official state event?

I wish we had official confirmation regarding the bridal party than just media/tabloid reports.
Yes, funerals are just as important (please note I said different :)).
You're right, we'll all be going in circles discussing potential invitees and prospective bridesmaids and pages until there is confirmation!
  #2534  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The children of the monarch did have State Wedding but by Edward's we have seen the failure of those 'state' weddings, the disaster of the Diana years, her death etc. A lower key wedding was called for.
I knew you could clarify this! I thought it would have more to do with Edward and Sophia not wanting the pomp and pageantry of his siblings weddings and something more intimate and personal.
  #2535  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
Honestly, I think it was both. As iluvbertie mentioned the failure of the "state weddings" and Edwards desire to have a smaller, personal wedding.

I would think that William and Kate's will be more like Edward and Sophie with a touch of Andrew and Sarah's.
__________________
.

  #2536  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I would think that William and Kate's will be more like Edward and Sophie with a touch of Andrew and Sarah's.
I agree although I think it will end up more Andrew and Sarah than Edward and Sophie. We shall see how this all comes together on the big day.
  #2537  
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,329
I think more like Andrew and Sarah because of the Abbey as well as the format (Andrew being the 2nd son of a soverign and not the Heir). But I think Edward and Sophie because it will still be a grand British wedding but on a smaller scale.
__________________
.

  #2538  
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM
texankitcat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think more like Andrew and Sarah because of the Abbey as well as the format (Andrew being the 2nd son of a soverign and not the Heir). But I think Edward and Sophie because it will still be a grand British wedding but on a smaller scale.
I think the only thing small about this wedding will be the number of people invited to the Abbey. I don't recall any other Royal couples that have had two receptions in order to accommodate all their friends, family and obligatory invites in the past.
  #2539  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Posts: 125
Is it me but are the boys listed as possible page boys a bit old for the job. Especially the Chatto boys. Are there no boys if a similar age to Lady Louise?

Also I've spent ages re-reading this thread as someone said the bridesmaids had been announced looking for the link to the announcement then searching the Internet when there is no announcement at all. Can we all be more careful as it is confusing - it has been reported is better!
  #2540  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
If her sister Pippa is a bridesmaid indeed it is an
opportunistic form of nepotism because the world[ one billion viewers] will see her sister get exposure and that in turn may lead to opening doors for her by her power by association Catherine is marrying into the Windsors and not the other way around so I think the sister thing as much as I comprehend the love and devotion between the two somehow does not fit. ..And there is a disparity in ages across the board of the wedding party.Both Diana and Sarah had sisters and neither had them in the bridal party. However I hope it works out.
If Kate is having Pippa as her maid of honor/bridesmaid it is solely because that is what she wishes to do. Pure and simple. Just as William will be having his brother stand up with him. This is not a business deal. This is not a red carpet show put on for the billions of viewers in the audience. Its not about anyone other than William and Kate. As much as she is marrying into the Firm, William will also become part of the Middleton family.. it works both ways.

I'm sure that over the years Pippa will be getting lots of exposure as you say seeing that she just might be Kate's lady-in-waiting in the future. Nepotism? I don't think so. I think it is having someone close to you that you know you can trust and depend on no matter what.

Pippa Middleton to be Kate
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit september 2016 catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events diana duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander lists member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen mathildes style queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stewart succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats visit to canada


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises