The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Sophie¿s little Lady Louise picked as royal bridesmaid | Mail Online

I like the choices but I must question the need for the following comment: 'They don’t want to offend anyone and don’t want to leave anyone out.’ They are including Wessex, Linley and Chatto along with Pippa's family - fine but let's not make a comment like not wanting to leave anyone out when one branch of the family are being left out apparently. The Yorks - I know they are older and I am not surprised but it is the comment in the article I am taking issue with and not the apparent decision of William and Kate.
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps Beatrice or Eugenie will be asked to do a reading at the service.
I don't think it's any big deal, if Mummy York gets an invite that will be more than enough to keep Papa York, Beatrice and Eugenie happy.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
According to me it is blue-gray. I can't find an ounce of green in it.

Can you explain what you meant, csw?
Oh I just thought it looked like a pale olive green in the picture I saw. I concede to glue-gray. Whatever color it is, I would like to see it picked up in the colors worn by the little girls.

oops - I mean blue-gray not glue gray :-/ Not only is my eyesight going, so apparently, is my ability to type

Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think the invitations have actually gone out, but it was explained in an interesting article I read last fall that when it comes to royals and heads of state, inquiries are made in advance as to whether a given person or group of people would be available and likely to attend. Apparently, the Palace does not send out invitations without being reasonably certain that a prominent figure will accept, and of course such people -- especially heads of state and their spouses -- do need to make plans well in advance.

Since this is apparently not an official state occasion, I don't know how many non-royal heads of state, if any, might be invited, and I suspect that only royals with whom the British royals have a fairly close relationship have been tiped to "save the date". Prince William is the godfather, for example, of Prince Pavlos of Greece's eldest son. I remember the baptism ceremony.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Seeing as the invitations are coming from HM The Queen, all heads of states and Crown Princely couples will have been invited more than likely.
The Crown Princely Couple of Yugoslavia/Serbia have confirmed their attendance, they must have recieved and invite to accept? :)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many people does the church hold??
I can't wait to see which celebrities are attending.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

They send out "save the dates" to other royals and Head of States. Then they send out the invitations which will have just been sent out or will be soon. I'm still hoping that Michelle Obama gets an invite, I know the Queen wld want to invite her. I would just love to see her in a nice tifter. One can hope...
Old 02-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
How many people does the church hold??
I can't wait to see which celebrities are attending.
The Abbey has a capacity of 2,000, although during the Queen's coronation in 1953, tiers and galleries were installed to seat 8,200 people.
I do hope they invite celebrities as friends, not just for the sake of it.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
I know the Queen wld want to invite her.
How do you know that?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my that's a lot of people!
I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't. If you can invite the Beckhams you can surely invite the president and first lady.

I wonder too if they'll invite some celebs because of their fame. I believe there were some celebs invited to Diana's funeral who didn't really know her personally...so maybe Kate and Will will do the same?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Is it sure that they invited the Beckhams?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't. If you can invite the Beckhams you can surely invite the president and first lady.

I wonder too if they'll invite some celebs because of their fame. I believe there were some celebs invited to Diana's funeral who didn't really know her personally...so maybe Kate and Will will do the same?
I hope they don't invite the Beckhams, celebrities would IMO have to have known the royal couple personally for a long time. It would be nice to see Michelle Obama, doubt Barack will make an appearance.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I hope they invite Michelle Obama...I don't understand why they wouldn't.
I don't understand why they would.

Quote:
So let me understand...he should invite celebrities just because celebrities were at his mother's funeral...innovative
Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
I don't understand why they would.
A few First Ladies have attended royal weddings.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Courtier

Isn't it going to be just friends, members of other royal houses and acquaintances from their working lives/patronages invited. This isn't considered a state occasion, so they are under no obligation to invite heads of states and such, right?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

That really isn't many, when you consider how many people the RF may feel obligated to invite.

I don't see why they'd ask Michelle Obama (although she does seem to be angling for an invitation). She's not a personal friend or anything.
William is at least acquainted with the Beckhams.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Celebs were invited to Diana's funeral because they were in her address book, and thats how much of the guest list was derived. Some were friends and others were associates.

Most weddings have to deal with the families of the bride and groom as well as their friends (and those of their parents)...add to this government officials and other royal famillies...I think any celebrities that will be in attendance will be those who have a relationship with Catherine and William.

Nancy Reagan attended Charles and Diana's wedding (I think Andrew and Sarah's as well) and Hiliary Clinton attended Diana's funeral. If they decide to invite heads of state, than I would imagine Michelle Obama will be in attendance or at least the Ambassador from the United States.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
This announcement makes me wondering - will there be any role left for Catherine's brother James?
I understand he's a cake maker; maybe he could make the cake!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That really isn't many, when you consider how many people the RF may feel obligated to invite.

I don't see why they'd ask Michelle Obama (although she does seem to be angling for an invitation). She's not a personal friend or anything.
William is at least acquainted with the Beckhams.
First Ladies have been invited to some previous royal weddings, even if they weren't acquainted with the couple. Regardless, I think it's up to the tone they want to set for the wedding and whether they want to invite foreign heads of state or not. Michelle has said she hasn't received an invitation (or save the date or anything along those lines), so I would assume they've decided not to go that route.

Personally, I'm not overly-interested in the guest list in terms of celebrities and such. It's a wedding, not a red carpet - I'm really most interested to see the bride and the groom. I hope they are surrounded by the people they want to be there, be they celebrities or not.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps Beatrice or Eugenie will be asked to do a reading at the service.
I don't think it's any big deal, if Mummy York gets an invite that will be more than enough to keep Papa York, Beatrice and Eugenie happy.
With the way things are looking right now, Pippa will be the only adult bridesmaid or maid of honor. This makes me think too that William will only have one supporter.. his brother Harry. Other than those two adults it looks like they're going with children for the rest of the bridal party.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Nobility

From MRSj

Quote:
I agree with those who said Catherine is guarded but also I understand why, I just hope we get to see her 'open' a bit and embrace some of the publicity/public ness of her new role as she grows into it. Hopefully she becomes a bit less guarded....also I really wish she'd smile a bit more. :)
I'd like to see her smile a bit more too; in those pics taken a couple of days ago with the Duchess of Cornwall, she did not look at all happy when looking straight at the cameraperson. Now that's she's to become an 'official Royal', it's really part of the job to look pleasant at all times, if possible. But i do note in latest pics of Charlene Wittstock, who did not look cheerful at all earlier, she's now mostly pictured smiling, and does look so much more happier. I daresay it takes time to become used to the cameras.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding