The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I think that's a rather out dated concept nowadays.
I thought that only applied to the monarch? The Duke of Edinburgh had to walk behind his wife only after she became queen?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I thought that only applied to the monarch? The Duke of Edinburgh had to walk behind his wife only after she became queen?
I'm not sure, but I thought it applied to most royals. I've heard it discussed about Charles/Diana and Edward and Sophie. Might have been on the telly so it's not 100% realiable.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Nobility

Catherine Middleton's Demeanor

I'm thinking that it may be a while before we see a less guarded Catherine...

If I were in her shoes, I would not want to make any serious gaffes before the wedding. She must be well aware that the eyes of the world are on her in a Big Way! How intimidating is that???

So, wouldn't it be likely that she is merely being cautious? After some of the things that happened with Diana before the wedding (e.g., the black low-cut evening dress and the photo with the light through her skirt outside the kindergarten), she may view it best to try and play it safe...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I think that's a rather out dated concept nowadays.
I think its a quite antiquidated custom too but I do notice that Philip does walk behind the Queen when they're on official visits.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think its a quite antiquidated custom too but I do notice that Philip does walk behind the Queen when they're on official visits.
Yes, the difference is that William has been seen striding quickly ahead with Kate at a full trot to keep up with him. I think they both have some learning to do with regard to appearing in public as a couple, but one day it will be second nature.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'm not overly familiar with the military but I would imagine that whatever uniform he does wear, it would have to be regulation. I think, as someone has mentioned before, the wearing a replicated historical uniform would seem too "costumey" for a royal wedding. After seeing photos of William in his RAF uniform with sash and orders, I think it does look quite dashing and I'm almost willing to bet now that this will be his uniform of choice for the wedding.
I disagree, because it is a major public event, I think that his uniform will incorporate some form of grandeur so not to be totally outdone by his bride. The uniform that Charles work to his wedding wasn't a standard navel uniform but was made more ceremonial looking. I think that William will follow the precedent set by his great grandfather George VI. I'm not a fan of the RAF uniform but when "done up" it looks a lot better.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Yes, the difference is that William has been seen striding quickly ahead with Kate at a full trot to keep up with him. I think they both have some learning to do with regard to appearing in public as a couple, but one day it will be second nature.
Dunno about that. I'm 5'1 with short little legs and my hubby is 6'4 with long legs. Wherever we go he's halfway to where we want to before I'm out of the car it seems. He's always stopping waiting for me to catch up.
I'm sure in time though they'll get it all in stride.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Courtier

I used to think that William always walked in front of Kate at a good pace so that the paps would not get photos of them together.. Since the engagement and even at the wedding before the announcement they seemed to walk side by side and not mind the photos ...this made me feel like there might have been something too to my theory...well at least in my head..lol
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I disagree, because it is a major public event, I think that his uniform will incorporate some form of grandeur so not to be totally outdone by his bride. The uniform that Charles work to his wedding wasn't a standard navel uniform but was made more ceremonial looking. I think that William will follow the precedent set by his great grandfather George VI. I'm not a fan of the RAF uniform but when "done up" it looks a lot better.
I read somewhere that William should wear the highest-rank uniform, which is the Colonel of the Irish Guards.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Serene Highness

Apparently, they are to have their own royal coin:

Royal wedding coin in production - National - The Star

It has no value as currency of course, but is to be sold as a souvenir.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I used to think that William always walked in front of Kate at a good pace so that the paps would not get photos of them together.. Since the engagement and even at the wedding before the announcement they seemed to walk side by side and not mind the photos ...this made me feel like there might have been something too to my theory...well at least in my head..lol
I had the same impression! Of course, the only video I've seen of William walking ahead is that video of the two of them at William's RAF ceremony (w/ Kate in the white jacket). But it really just seems as if they're walking as quickly as possible away from the media, and William is faster.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I read somewhere that William should wear the highest-rank uniform, which is the Colonel of the Irish Guards.

The difference is that one is an honourary rank while the RAF rank is substantive and he is currently a serving officer.

When Charles married he had left the navy and thus was able to wear a different uniform.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
You're right there should be weekly press releases about the wedding from Clarence House and St. James Palace...

What about her would you like to know...her favorite ice cream flavor or her favorite tv show or her favorite music artist? Should she be giving more interviews? How about a Middleton family photo portfolio...would that help?

Interesting method of discerning the seriousness of a relationship...distance between you and your partner while walking...

That's your privilege...

Nevertheless every individual has their own opinion...
Yes fascinating method of discerning the seriousness and rudeness of the relationship because William has systematically done this and she trails behind.It shows a lack of respect. or that he is in hurry and has to move fast all the time. I need not see a picture of the Middletons- they have no psychological appeal- but what you see now- the void and abstruse Catherine is what will may be later. Most royal brides have out of courtesy given out the name of the gown's designer- Princess Anne gave Susan Small; the Queen gave out the name Hartnell;etc.. It would be fascinating if Catherine would do something to make contact?????????????? but the false snobbery of her behaviour has the identification of many and following I see..As for her favourite ice cream - most of humanity cares not at all about her be assured.Because she has shown no interest to at least reciprocate something about herself or her impending nuptials to the masses.She lacks "charm" and "warmth" and has the presumption of censorship to be absolutely without a word after the ring went on.That is interpreted as discretion evidently.
I do not want to know her ice cream tastes but does Catherine know the arts or have any philanthropic or humanitarian leanings?I think this is reasonable to divulge.
-The DOC was more exciting at this point than Catherine as the day approached.Catherine has been "static" since the betrothal; like a cardboard figure.jmo
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Yes fascinating method of discerning the seriousness and rudeness of the relationship because William has systematically done this and she trails behind.It shows a lack of respect. or that he is in hurry and has to move fast all the time. I need not see a picture of the Middletons- they have no psychological appeal- but what you see now- the void and abstruse Catherine is what will may be later. Most royal brides have out of courtesy given out the name of the gown's designer- Princess Anne gave Susan Small; the Queen gave out the name Hartnell;etc.. It would be fascinating if Catherine would do something to make contact?????????????? but the false snobbery of her behaviour has the identification of many and following I see..As for her favourite ice cream - most of humanity cares not at all about her be assured.Because she has shown no interest to at least reciprocate something about herself or her impending nuptials to the masses.She lacks "charm" and "warmth" and has the presumption of censorship to be absolutely without a word after the ring went on.That is interpreted as discretion evidently.
I do not want to know her ice cream tastes but does Catherine know the arts or have any philanthropic or humanitarian leanings?I think this is reasonable to divulge.
-The DOC was more exciting at this point than Catherine as the day approached.Catherine has been "static" since the betrothal; like a cardboard figure.jmo
Seriously? Kate doesn't owe you, or the "masses", anything as regards to the wedding plans. If she, like many brides, wants to keep details a surprise then fine. Have you considered the fact that should the designer be announced or found out prior to the event that the media would make it hell on earth for that designer? Rather like what happened with Diana's designers of her dress. I think everyone should just back off with the rumours, speculation, demands for news & just be patient & wait! It's not that hard, and really what does it change whether we know the designer or not, half the fun is the anticipation, why ruin it?

And as to her interests, or maybe lack of them, I think it's fine that we don't know any of this yet. She isn't a royal yet, yes maybe/hopefully there are plans for her post-wedding activities in place & behind the scenes BP etc are sorting out things but that doesn't mean we need to know anything about those plans or her own plans for her future until she's actually a royal family member & actually going about her business as a royal family member. Quite simply I don't think we need to know anything like that til she's actually a fully fledged member of the royal family, what difference would it make if she did a big interview somewhere discussing all her interests & plans for what she'll do as a royal? She'd only get attacked for being ahead of herself & presumptuous as to her position. Let her actually marry into the family before we lump all these expectations & demands on her.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Yes fascinating method of discerning the seriousness and rudeness of the relationship because William has systematically done this and she trails behind.It shows a lack of respect. or that he is in hurry and has to move fast all the time.
Interesting. I find it quite captivating that you've made an eight year study of the distance between William and Catherine whilst walking with one another to discover a method of determining seriousness and rudeness of romantic relationships...based on evidence provided by external sources no less. Quite mesmerizing.

Quote:
I need not see a picture of the Middletons- they have no psychological appeal
If your aim is to know more about her wouldn't any sources information concerning Catherine, including optical sources, aid in accomplishing that goal?

Quote:
- but what you see now- the void and abstruse Catherine is what will may be later. Most royal brides have out of courtesy given out the name of the gown's designer- Princess Anne gave Susan Small; the Queen gave out the name Hartnell;etc..It would be fascinating if Catherine would do something to make contact??????????????
Courtesy? Are you offended by Catherine not divulging the identity of her wedding dress designer with only seventy-five days remaining until her wedding? However even more remarkable is how this lack of action can be a sign of future behavior?

Quote:
As for her favourite ice cream - most of humanity cares not at all about her be assured.
As mentioned above this would be information that could be used in achieving the goal of getting to know more about Catherine.

Quote:
Because she has shown no interest to at least reciprocate something about herself or her impending nuptials to the masses.She lacks "charm" and "warmth" and has the presumption of censorship to be absolutely without a word after the ring went on.That is interpreted as discretion evidently.
Why is Catherine not divulging the intricate details of her wedding ceremony, with seventy-five days remaining until the actual wedding, being used as a means of measuring her current "charm" and "warmth"?

Quote:
does Catherine know the arts or have any philanthropic or humanitarian leanings?I think this is reasonable to divulge.
So are we to assume that by her not divulging these facts within a time frame that has left only seventy-five days remaining until the ceremony, has been one of the poorest displays of bridal etiquette by anyone alive or deceased in matrimonial ceremony history...

all the same...everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all opinions should be appreciated
Old 02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Her charity work has been reported several times as well as the fact that she has a Master of History of Arts from St. Andrew's university. I guess that should answer your questions.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Nobility

As to whether to release the name of the wedding gown designer, the press have gotten infinitely better and infinitely less respectful since the weddings of the Princess Elizabeth and Princess Anne. I doubt that it is Catherine's decision alone and that the palace advice would be to keep it a secret as long as possible to protect the designer as well as the gown itself. Apparently the Emmanuels had to spend a lot of money for guards and other secrecy-protecting methods after it was learned that they were designing Diana's gown.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She lacks "charm" and "warmth".
Kate has stayed largely out of the public eye throughout her courtship with William for very good reasons. If Kate had let down her guard and let the media in at any point, she would have had a hard time prosecuting lawsuits for invasion of privacy. She was a private citizen, who may or may NOT have been a member of the royal family. As it was, she was hounded, followed, photographed and when she didn't speak, picked apart in the media. She's been in a horrible spot. I feel like I defend her a lot, but really, she's been very unfairly treated by many without an ounce of compassion.

I don't believe this is a girl without warmth. I've always had the opposite impression. But take a look for yourself. Start at the beginning, and you can see Kate in public over the years, interacting with friends, etc.:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Kate gave a lengthy interview when she got engaged. Details about the wedding have been trickling out and more will come out as the day gets closer. Kate's currently living in Wales and is going through some big life changes. Honestly, if she went out in public right now (where it was known), at a time when the world's media attention is so focused on her, think her 25th birthday to the Nth degree.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

It will emerge in time whether or not Catherine is an accomplished woman, capable of being patroness of the arts, and benefactress of charities. The money that royals raise for charity is immense, as people turn out to be at benefits when they are there. But, for a new royal, as Kate is going to be, learning the ropes of these engagements (so as to feel positive and comfortable about them) is essential.

Her wedding plans will eventually be fully known. I read just yesterday in some financial newsletter that tourism for the end of April is up for Great Britain (not just England), and that souvenir items (produced in Britain) are in demand (such as the royal coin and those silly salt and pepper shakers). When her plans are known, people will certainly want both items from her designers and knock-off items, and that will happen in the same way whether or not she announces her choices now.

If it were me, I'd hate to have a bunch of people wearing "my" designs and colors right before my wedding, so I'd keep it private.

On a separate topic, did anyone see the brouha over the Scout troop staging the pretend kidnapping of Catherine Middleton:

Outrage over scouts' 'Kate Middleton' kidnap - Channel NewsAsia

I thought this was a very poorly thought out exercise for the children involved, but it illustrates the keen interest that people have in the royal wedding and Kate, because the children enjoyed it so much - and it gained international interest (it was pretty high up on google news yesterday).

By the way, all the art degrees in the world do not guarantee that a person has artistic taste or ability, but it does mean that the person is trying to cultivate an interest in the arts. Nothing would please me more than to see this young woman put her talent and position to the service of the arts, and not just in supporting other royals and their endeavors in galleries. I would feel the same way about anyone using their position (whatever it was) to accomplish something positive.

If she wants to save her warmth and finest feelings for her husband, and not show the world that side of herself, that's fine too, although I really don't know how she is supposed to be "warm" to people she doesn't know, especially to people with cameras.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
She lacks "charm" and "warmth" and has the presumption of censorship to be absolutely without a word after the ring went on.That is interpreted as discretion evidently.
Well... obviously William finds her loaded with "charm" and "warmth" and that m'dear is the ONLY thing that matter.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding