Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've fallen a bit behind on news so dunno if this has been posted
Royal Wedding GE fridge celebrates Prince William and Kate Middleton with class - Princess Diana Remembered

William and Kate will smash glass at wedding - Princess Diana Remembered
According to detailed wedding plans, due to be released on Sunday, a small amount of mehendi or turmeric, paste will be smeared on Kate's hand in a Muslim pre-wedding ritual. The couple will then offer each other a morsel of food to express mutual love and affection in accordance with the Hindu practice, and then William will smash a glass with his foot as at Jewish weddings.

If that's true, that's really pretty awesome.

I think so too. Now, if they were to jump the broom in Westminster Abbey, I'd think that would be kind of tacky. Its really obvious though that these two are putting a lot of thought and meaning into their special ceremony.

I have a feeling this wedding will be very traditional. He is an Anglican and so is she ( I presume). And they will be married in the all the pomp and splendor of the that church's rites. I do not see why they would incorporate other religious traditions in their wedding. With respect, that is weird.

One can tell by their choice not only in music, but musicians...what kind of wedding this will be.

Last edited:
I have a feeling this wedding will be very traditional. He is an Anglican and so is she ( I presume). And they will be married in the all the pomp and splendor of the that church's rites. I do not see why they would incoporate other religious traditions in their werdding. With respect, that is weird.

One can tell by their choice not only in music, but musicians...what kind of wedding this will be.

It seems they plan to include a few. It isn't that uncommon, I have seen certain elements even added to a catholic celebration before. I think it is an attempt by the modern couple to embrace the fact that the people of the UK come from different cultures and faiths. For the most part it will be a beautiful traditional Anglican ceremony, but a small touch from other faiths to include their people into the ceremony. I think as long as it is done in the right way, it won't take away from the beauty of the ceremony or tradition.

Adding non-Christian elements to a Christian wedding ceremony is an affront, at least to me. Either you are or you are not.

I suppose they are trying to please everyone and will end up pleasing no one. Why try to be other than what they are? No one invited the rest of the world, much less give input, so why even incorporate some one else's traditions. Out there somewhere will be a minority that has been "forgotten" and there will be a stink made, just wait. Just have a good old fashioned Anglican wedding!!!

It seems they plan to include a few. It isn't that uncommon, I have seen certain elements even added to a catholic celebration before. I think it is an attempt by the modern couple to embrace the fact that the people of the UK come from different cultures and faiths. For the most part it will be a beautiful traditional Anglican ceremony, but a small touch from other faiths to include their people into the ceremony. I think as long as it is done in the right way, it won't take away from the beauty of the ceremony or tradition.

Perhaps we could add these little touches to the "something borrowed" list.

Someone disagreeing with your dress choice is not a personal attack so don't make it one. And yes, I'd likely disagree with any dresses of Diana's, as like I stated they were good for the 80's but are out dated in the 21st century. Again not a personal attack, stating my opinion, as you stated your opinion. This is a discussion forumn is it not?

And I never suggested you thought she should wear another color. The only mention of color was my opinion on it, again not all about you. I thought there was a chance, in under skirts or such, there may be color. Numerous other posters mentioned other colors being common even in royal dresses.

I hope the dress is totally Kate. Yes she could do a fairy princess look but it isn't her. She is not a princess from fairy tales, she is a modern princess. I hope she picks something beautiful and modern, but still with enough tradition to fit the beautiful cathedral she is getting married in.

(Okay, this will be the last I say on this. It is attacking when you pick apart several posts from someone with nothing to achieve but to bash every thing they say while not actually reading everything they wrote (for example the lilac dress: I wrote more than once not a copy, not the 80's style, but updated, modernized, but having inspiration from the ethereal, beautiful image it gave). Why call me negative then be far worse yourself? You don't know Kate, I don't know Kate, it is all speculation. When I said no matter which dress I posted you would hate it I meant any dress in the world, not dresses of Diana (I only really like the dreamy lilac and the racy black dress from early in their relationship). You have made up your mind that anything I write you are not going to find any merit in which is too bad. Why aim so much venom at a fellow poster (me and others on many threads) who you don't agree with? It's only a wedding. Disagree with me as much as you want but please do it respectfully. :sad:)

Yes, Kate does not instantly say from what she's worn so far that she's a "fairytale" type girl, yet she is marrying a prince in an amazing cathedral. So I believe that she will have to somehow have a splashier dress than we've seen her wear before (for the sheer magnitude of the venue and the distance of the tv cameras, etc.) I know a woman who never wore dresses even in regular life always casual pants, etc., but when she married she wore a very pretty full length gown, looked good in it, and astounded everyone. A modern women is lucky to have such a wide variety of styles so I think even a more staid woman can choose to look the fairytale part for the day.

I really like more exotic touches to more traditional dresses as well. For example William proposed to Kate in Africa, so she may work something subtly into her dress with that, or even something small like the garter (if the royal family does the garter thing?). I recall that Alicia Keys wore a pretty usual white dress (I've only seen from the waist up) but had this rather pretty East Indian style jewel bands in her hair which gave her a unique look while not being outrageous.

The actual wedding dress I imagine is going to be quite big (as in skirts), or with a long train because it's said she will change right after the photos to another dress for the reception the Queen is hosting (which leads me to believe it may be a difficult to maneuver in dress). Perhaps there will be yet another outfit for the reception dinner Charles is throwing? I wonder if there will be any photos of those for us to see?

I am done with this. Not every response to your post is an attack. I am a grown up, I am walking away, please show you are the same and do so.

For incorporating other traditions into the ceremony, I think it can be done in such a way it does not look like a show. I have been to weddings which have. Usually it is when the couples are from two different cultures, and they try to incorporate both. I agree it does seem a bit odd considering they are both Anglican. But as long as it is not over the top, I don't see the problem with it. Every bride and groom tends to personalize their ceremony in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
GhostNight wrote: I've fallen a bit behind on news so dunno if this has been posted
Royal Wedding GE fridge celebrates Prince William and Kate Middleton with class - Princess Diana Remembered

William and Kate will smash glass at wedding - Princess Diana Remembered
Quote:
According to detailed wedding plans, due to be released on Sunday, a small amount of mehendi or turmeric, paste will be smeared on Kate's hand in a Muslim pre-wedding ritual. The couple will then offer each other a morsel of food to express mutual love and affection in accordance with the Hindu practice, and then William will smash a glass with his foot as at Jewish weddings.

Oooh, thanks for posting that! I love including other religions/cultures in wedding preparations and ceremonies when it's nice and subtle. Some brides I have noticed lately are doing some of the henna designs traditionally painted on the palms of the hands (the theory goes that the longer it takes for the henna designs to fade the stronger the love is, marriage will be, etc.). Some not the entire palm but one or two designs, some going up and circling the ring finger.

To me it would be wonderful to see some unique surprises like that, touches that show them as a couple....:heart:

As for the charities chosen I am quite impressed. I just hope guests or well wishers do donate instead of (or as well as) gifts to them. The combination of the various charities seems very thoughtfully chosen. Tying it to the wedding can help create a legacy for the couple that is uniquely theirs. This would be a good practice for many people to adopt instead of gifts that go to waste. Who needs another blender anyway! :lol:

Ceasar's wife = above reproach.

I will be on an airplane while the wedding is going on. I'll see it later.

Wherever you are I expect to hear what your commentary is even if we differ. You are a fanatstic contributor. Much appreciated.Also I have to agree that it is not appropriate to incorportae other traditions into the religious ceremony.But if they do that includes fasting ;abstinence from sex;except in Sikhism.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to understand why people appropriate other customs in bits and pieces for their ceremonies (as a gesture of drawing people together, I suppose?) while leaving out so many other traditions (nothing from Africa?)

I believe the custom of lavishing diamonds, emeralds, rubies and sapphires on the bride is probably a thing of the past - although it was not too long ago that it was in place (Diana got jewels).

Queen Elizabeth II was given a stunning diamond necklace by South Africa for her 21st birthday, IIRC, and received other jewels at that time as well (times have really changed).

If that's true, that's really pretty awesome.
It sounds really strange to me. I could understand if they were of different faiths but they are not. A traditional Church of England wedding service does not seem to lend itself to a multi-faith "insert" with any degree of ease. If so, so be it however, is there an "official" press release from either Clarendon House or Buckingham Palace to formally announce what is essentially a very important deviation from the CofE norm?

The story I was told about the henna was that as long as it lasted on the bride's hand she did not have to do any housework. :)

After that she was directed in her chores by her mother in law.

ghost_night554 said:

Sorry that's ridiculous... Those are not their religions and I feel it's wrong to practice any religious custom that does not reflect your own beliefs. If that's true , it's pandering to plp IMO and I hope this is not true

Sorry that's ridiculous... Those are not their religions and I feel it's wrong to practice any religious custom that does not reflect your own beliefs. If that's true , it's pandering to plp IMO and I hope this is not true

I completely agree with you. I don't see a point in practicing something that has no meaning to you. I understand multiculturalism, but this is going a little too far.

Daria_S said:
I completely agree with you. I don't see a point in practicing something that has no meaning to you. I understand multiculturalism, but this is going a little too far.

I think they've recognized that their future roles are as the symbolic figureheads of a very diverse nation- that the monarchy needs to serve in an ambassador capacity at home as well as abroad, and that charity and promoting unity and pride in the UK will be their most important goals. Incorporating that into their wedding is a clear symbol that they recognize that. I think it's lovely and I hope it's true. This couple just seems to be getting it totally right thus far.

This doesn't sound right to me. They are not Muslim, Hindu nor are they Jewish. These wedding rituals are based on long traditions that have specific meaning to these cultures and religions. If William was Hindu/Muslim and Kate was Jewish, then of course they would want to incorporate these traditions in their union. I can't imagine Kate or William would be think this is a wise decision, nor can I imagine that the Queen would support this. This wedding will be televised around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
HRHHermione said:
I think they've recognized that their future roles are as the symbolic figureheads of a very diverse nation- that the monarchy needs to serve in an ambassador capacity at home as well as abroad, and that charity and promoting unity and pride in the UK will be their most important goals. Incorporating that into their wedding is a clear symbol that they recognize that. I think it's lovely and I hope it's true. This couple just seems to be getting it totally right thus far.

If that's the case then maybe attend different services to show your open to diversification but to include it in your own wedding ceremony when it is not your religious beliefs is IMO paying lipservice to it and honestly just ridiculous ..... If this article is true and they do that I will lose massive respect, and also isn't it 'wrong' to do in a way since William will be the head of the Church of England? It would be like a rabbi taking confession, no?

texankitcat said:
This doesn't sound right to me. They are not Muslim, Hindu nor are they Jewish. These wedding rituals are based on long traditions that have specific meaning to these cultures and religions. If William was Hindu/Muslim and Kate was Jewish, then of course they would want to incorporate these traditions in their union. I can't imagine Kate or William would be think this is a wise decision, nor can I imagine that the Queen would support this. This wedding will be televised around the world.

Well said!

I don't agree with the inter-religion practices either, and I hope that the story is simply a rumour. After all, Westminister Abbey is a building that was dedicated for the worship of the God of Christianity. Incorporation of other religious traditions is disrespectful.

I can see it now...

A couture designed burka for the bride, A tallit for the groom, pippa in a wimple and clutching a rosary, Prince Henry in Buddhist garb, the Prince of Wales dressed as a Hindu elder, the Duchess of Cornwall as a Hari Krishna and the Queen as a Protestant nun.

Wonderful! :D

Well so far there has been a deafening silence on the request for "official verification" of this latest piece of information. The source for the original article is the "Princess Diana Remembered" website: William and Kate will smash glass at wedding - Princess Diana Remembered which includes the words: "According to detailed wedding plans, due to be released on Sunday"!

I'll believe it when I see it on the Official Wedding website!

Last edited:
I can see it now...

A couture designed burka for the bride, A tallit for the groom, pippa in a wimple and clutching a rosary, Prince Henry in Buddhist garb, the Prince of Wales dressed as a Hindu elder, the Duchess of Cornwall as a Hari Krishna and the Queen as a Protestant nun.

:lol: Good one!

:ROFLMAO:
I can see it now...

:ROFLMAO:

Oy vey...

woh! a lot of things have happended since the last time I checked. But after reading a few post I'm glad! jezzz..

so my input.

I come from a family that is very open minded, but to have all those things into the church ceremony seems to be too forced.
If they'd asked for a "representative" of each one of those religions to share a word about love and marriage that, IMO, would be more appropriate and a nice gesture.
But again for me to say here that this's horrible would be easy ,I wonder what British people who practice those religions will think of that. ??

Not suggesting the report is accurate, but there appears to me to be no reson to incorporate a number of external faith practices into a Christian wedding service. No matter the couple.

Infact, I find the thought of it incredibly odd if not a little embarrassing, and note with a good deal of bemusement that western culture is at times, so prone to appear eager to pacify peoples or institutions of other faiths. This is by no means a discourteous slight against any other faith which is not my own, but I can all but guarantee that you would not come across an indigenous couple in India or Kuwait (as examples) who would ever contemplate the thought of adding christian practices into their wedding service. And neither should they.

You can appreciate and embrace other cultures and religions but you don't need to observe any of their practices to do so. And really the expression is rather hollow when the people involved are not practicing commitals.

Last edited:
Mia_mae said:
woh! a lot of things have happended since the last time I checked. But after reading a few post I'm glad! jezzz..

so my input.

I come from a family that is very open minded, but to have all those things into the church ceremony seems to be too forced.
If they'd asked for a "representative" of each one of those religions to share a word about love and marriage that, IMO, would be more appropriate and a nice gesture.
But again for me to say here that this's horrible would be easy ,I wonder what British people who practice those religions will think of that. ??

That is a very good idea about having reps from different religious traditions speak or maybe give a blessing or whatever. I think we need to wait for the official details before we get too excited about this

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals

Not suggesting the report is accurate, but there appears to me to be no reson to incorporate a number of external faith practices into a Christian wedding service. No matter the couple.

Infact, I find the thought of it incredibly odd if not a little embarrassing, and note with a good deal of bemusement that western culture is at times, so prone to appear eager to pacify peoples or institutions of other faiths. This is by no means a discourteous slight against any other faith which is not my own, but I can all but guarantee that you would not come across an indigenous couple in India or Kuwait (as examples) who would ever contemplate the thought of adding christian practices into their wedding service. And neither should they.

You can appreciate and embrace other cultures and religions but you don't need to observe any of their practices to do so. And really the expression is rather hollow when the people involved are not practicing commitals.

I agree with you, a person in line for the throne can not even marry a Catholic, a faith not so far from their own..I can't see them doing something that is so far off base..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom