The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It's really nice that William has been appointed Colonel of the Irish Guard but I think it would be a real slap in the face to the RAF and his SAR crew should he decide to wear the dress uniform of the Irish Guard. Although the red uniform would stand out in Westminster Abbey and I personally think that the Household Calvary uniform is the most formal looking, I think William will go with the RAF uniform as it is with SAR that he is presently serving and is very proud of what he does. The meaning behind what he wears would mean more to him than how it looks or photographs.
I wholeheartedly agree! I would personally like William to wear his RAF uniform because he is currently serving in the RAF. My brother-in-law got married in his RAF uniform and with the ceremonial sword it is a very smart and fitting uniform to get married in.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Hmm, I was wondering...this appointment is very timely!
Could it be that the Queen isn't all that fond of the RAF uniform either, and wanted William to have a more dashing alternative?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Very well said. Catherine's behaviour during both the courtship and the engagement show she is her own person. Comparisons by the media are an attempt to increase hype and sell newspapers/magazines.
Catherine her own person?Granted she is good looking but has not inspired with personality at all.In fact this guardedness is starting to irk me- even about her wedding dress and the dress afterwards at the banquet already-she is dangling the public she hopes to serve as if one tidbit will trigger Diana hysteria and all I hear is that she is sooo discreet etc.
Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them. Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Catherine her own person?Granted she is good looking but has not inspired with personality at all.In fact this guardedness is starting to irk me- even about her wedding dress and the dress afterwards at the banquet already-she is dangling the public she hopes to serve as if one tidbit will trigger Diana hysteria and all I hear is that she is sooo discreet etc.
You're right there should be weekly press releases about the wedding from Clarence House and St. James Palace...

Quote:
Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself
What about her would you like to know...her favorite ice cream flavor or her favorite tv show or her favorite music artist? Should she be giving more interviews? How about a Middleton family photo portfolio...would that help?

Quote:
And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them.
Interesting method of discerning the seriousness of a relationship...distance between you and your partner while walking...

Quote:
Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.
That's your privilege...

Nevertheless every individual has their own opinion...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste. Catherine is a a diffucult person to decipher and will not open up for reasons known only to herself And William is in film clips of them as a couple walking somewhere walks ahead of her most of the time.He races and she is walking behind.They are both different . I hope things work out for them. Cannot say I will get up to watch the wedding.
How do you know her personality? Have you met her? So I am taking this as your opinion, but others see her (guardedeness) of Her dress, her and William's life.. to do the exact opposite of triggering the Daina hysteria... Does anyone else really need to know their reasons at this point ...maybe or maybe not..

IMO Im glad she is quiet and reserved..IMO this shows a good match to William. I will be up at 4am on April 29th...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Nobility

Kate Middleton and Prince William are turned into punk royalty couple Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen | Mail Online
Old 02-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is understandable that some people will be frustrated about the guardedness surrounding Catherine and the wedding but I really do think it is being done for the right reasons. Thrusting Catherine centre stage at every opportunity will do her no good at all, nor will it do us any good - generally, people do not want to be saturated with news of Catherine's every move and every detail of the wedding. It becomes boring and predictable and too much news and information will allow too many people too much scope for critisism of her.
Catherine is difficult to decipher and cannot open up for the simple reason that we have only seen her talk once on the day of her engagement. She is busy preparing for her new life and probably has no time to hold interviews and make speaches in order to satisfy people's curiosity.
Although it seems that Catherine is personally and deliberately keeping the public dangling etc, but this is not in her control it is in control of whoever is in charge of the preparation. It is perhaps the royal family's way of developing more control over the media - kind of wresting the power away and quite rightly so!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Why in the world should we know about her dress at all before her wedding day? I think the majority of brides everywhere keep their dresses under wraps until the "big day". I most certainly did.

I think Kate will be very guarded and quiet for the most part for the rest of her life following the examples of the Queen and the DoE. The media, I fear, is going to be in for a big disappointment with getting "scoops" on the lives of William and Kate as I really believe that other than their official duties and royal occasions, their lives are going to be very much off limits to the public. We rarely get a glimpse into the private lives of the Queen and the DoE and after the blitz of scandals and constant media meddling of the 80s and the 90s, I think all of the royals have learned to keep their private lives just that... private. Diana or Dianamania has nothing to do with this. Its their right to privacy that they are setting firm groundwork on and that's how it should be. Neither of them really have an obligation to "open up" their lives to the public other than in regards to their royal duties and patronages.

As far as Kate walking a few steps behind William, I think she did that on purpose before the engagement was announced as to not draw attention to their relationship. Once the engagement was announced, she proudly has walked side by side with her fiance' in the one time I really recall them being out in public together around the holidays.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

As much as I find Kate's lack of an obvious personality frustrating, I absolutly adore her discretion and calm, slightly cool demeanor. She really seems to have her sht together and it doesn't seem like we will have the media circus of the 80's and 90's. The press get bored of "boring" people and eventually leave them alone. Which is what Kate and Wills want I assume.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Catherine is a bit too quiet for my taste.
She's a future royal, what is she supposed to be like? Sarah Ferguson or Diana?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Royal Highness

I just saw the pics of our president-couple in Madrid with the SRF.

Princess Letizia & Bettina Wulff Finally Meet In Madrid (PHOTOS, POLL)

I quite like the design of Bettina Wulff's dress. Especially the little jacket like that in white and with long sleeves would be a fine top for Catherine's weddingdress when in church. Under it she could wear a dress with transparent sleeves, so she could wear the dress alone after church on her reception. And I wish she could have a nice white evening coat to go with her bridal dress till the arrival in the Abbey in case there are April rain showers. Kind of layered wedding outfit for a sping wedding.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
generally, people do not want to be saturated with news of Catherine's every move and every detail of the wedding. It becomes boring and predictable and too much news and information will allow too many people too much scope for critisism of her.

I agree! But it's so amusing when a news item is published and people log on to yell "Who cares! Nobody cares about the royal wedding!"

They never see the irony that they are reading the article!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with those who said Catherine is guarded but also I understand why, I just hope we get to see her 'open' a bit and embrace some of the publicity/public ness of her new role as she grows into it. Hopefully she becomes a bit less guarded....also I really wish she'd smile a bit more. :)
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I agree with those who said Catherine is guarded but also I understand why, I just hope we get to see her 'open' a bit and embrace some of the publicity/public ness of her new role as she grows into it. Hopefully she becomes a bit less guarded....also I really wish she'd smile a bit more. :)
I have no doubt that in time Catherine will grow more comfortable in her role, and be more willing to speak publicly. I still do not think she will be speaking much to the media.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Isn't that interesting how when stars and musicians are young they thumb their nose at the monarchy and when they age and that same monarchy recognizes them for their accomplishments they wax poetic about HM and The Firm.
Russo, with age comes wisdom. Either that, or their talents are waining and they're just building legacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I just saw the pics of our president-couple in Madrid with the SRF.

Princess Letizia & Bettina Wulff Finally Meet In Madrid (PHOTOS, POLL)
Bettina looks royal, Letizia looks like a secretary from the '80s. I do like the way daywear fashion for women is turning back to elegance and prettiness.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Courtier

Thumbs down

Quote:
Catherine her own person?Granted she is good looking but has not inspired with personality at all
I'm not sure how you can accurately judge whether someone has or lacks personality based on photos and ONE interview.

Quote:
In fact this guardedness is starting to irk me- even about her wedding dress and the dress afterwards at the banquet already-she is dangling the public she hopes to serve as if one tidbit will trigger Diana hysteria and all I hear is that she is sooo discreet etc
What exactly do you expect her to do? Give interviews or release to the media all the wedding details including the name of the designer with pictures of the dress design included? What Royal bride would do that? The Queen is hosting the banquet. Do we really need the details on what they are eating? Kate isn't dangling anything. There is an army of people planning this wedding, both receptions, etc... What the public needs to know will be announced when they find it necessary to do so. Everything else is speculation.

Quote:
What evidence do you have that Catherine is quiet or won't open up other than she hasn't given interviews? William has tried to protect her from the media and she has kept a low profile since she is a private citizen until she is married. Yes, there have been a few times where William has walked ahead of Catherine, however I think it had more to do with him wanting to put a distance between himself and the media as quickly as possible rather than any deliberate disrespect to Catherine.

It amazes me how harsh people are being with her. It's to her credit that she has been discreet and stayed out of the media.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I'm not sure how you can accurately judge whether someone has or lacks personality based on photos and ONE interview.

What exactly do you expect her to do? Give interviews or release to the media all the wedding details including the name of the designer with pictures of the dress design included? What Royal bride would do that? The Queen is hosting the banquet. Do we really need the details on what they are eating? Kate isn't dangling anything. There is an army of people planning this wedding, both receptions, etc... What the public needs to know will be announced when they find it necessary to do so. Everything else is speculation.

What evidence do you have that Catherine is quiet or won't open up other than she hasn't given interviews? William has tried to protect her from the media and she has kept a low profile since she is a private citizen until she is married. Yes, there have been a few times where William has walked ahead of Catherine, however I think it had more to do with him wanting to put a distance between himself and the media as quickly as possible rather than any deliberate disrespect to Catherine.

It amazes me how harsh people are being with her. It's to her credit that she has been discreet and stayed out of the media.
AMEN, texankitcat. I totally agree with you.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

After the engagement was announced, a lot of people who know her spoke up and all mentioned her nice, sunny and funny personality - some even called her bubbly. The DM wrote in the article about the lunch with Camilla that they all were in high spritits and laughed a lot. Now all that doesn't sound as if she was a quiet mouse - just a discreet young lady who keeps her contenance when in public and enjoys the funny side of life when she's in private. Reminds one a lot of the Duchess of Cornwall who was as equally quiet while she was a private citizen but turned out to have a very sunny, charming personality when she started doing Royal duties.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

isnt it protocol that Prince William is 2 steps in front of Catherine? i remember something about that when Diana became engaged to Charles.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
isnt it protocol that Prince William is 2 steps in front of Catherine? i remember something about that when Diana became engaged to Charles.
I think that's a rather out dated concept nowadays.

Tags
prince william & catherine middleton wedding