Wedding of William and Catherine: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool! I know I won't be able to afford to go to Britain, but maybe there will be memorabilia sold in the States -- or at least I'm sure there will be on the internet.

My personal recommendation is to get the commemorative china directly from The Royal Collection. I've got pieces from the Queen Mother's 100th birthday, Edward & Sophie's wedding, something for Prince William (it's put away so I can't remember), among others. They don't do photos on the china, but I prefer it anyway because it's the official stuff and very well made and comes nicely boxed.

Here's a link if anybody's interested:Royal Collection <br>Fine Bone China</br>-The Royal Collection

I am definitely looking forward to their wedding. Think I'm more excited about this wedding than Victoria and Daniel's.

Back to the dresses for a second. Personally I absolutely loved Diana's wedding dress even if it was crumpled. Huge puffy dresses were in fashion then, my cousin got married a month before Diana and her dress was pretty much like hers! ;)

My personal recommendation is to get the commemorative china directly from The Royal Collection. I've got pieces from the Queen Mother's 100th birthday, Edward & Sophie's wedding, something for Prince William (it's put away so I can't remember), among others. They don't do photos on the china, but I prefer it anyway because it's the official stuff and very well made and comes nicely boxed.

Here's a link if anybody's interested:Royal Collection <br>Fine Bone China</br>-The Royal Collection

Oh I second that! Many places will jump on the band wagon and start selling all sorts of rubbish such as tea-towels, tea-cosies, egg cups etc! Go to the Royal Collection and buy something of quality that will last and be of value in the future!

Best man/supporter

OK.

I stand by Prince Harry as the top choice for this role.

But in the strange event that William chooses a close friend over his only brother, here are the friends I believe would likely have the honor, in order of MOST likely and down to least likely:

1) Thomas van Straubenzee (very good friend of William, I think, and quite close to Kate as well)
2) William van Cutsem (of all the VC brothers, I believe William is the closest to the prince)
3) James Meade (he's also a good friend to Kate I think)
4) James Murray Wells (good friend to both Wills and Harry, but mostly Harry I think)
5) Guy Pelly (god, this would be sooo funny but for sure the LEAst likely!!! haha)

I wonder how good of friends Kate and Chelsy are? If they've got a good relationship cam Kate invite her to the wedding?

As colorscheme they will probably go with the classic beige/yellow/ maybe a bit of light pink, but I would love them to go with something a la Mary and Frederik's wedding in 2004, Pink, Orange, Red, Fuschia, Magenta!

I can't wait for the wedding though I do expect it to be rather traditionnal, conservative, but of course still very grand! I'm also looking forward to a noon wedding, which means the guests won't be in galla attire, but in hats, suits etc.

Some royal families usually bring all their members to weddings like fx. the Dutch RF: They always go Beatrix, W-A, Maxima, Constantjin and Laurentien, same goes for the spanes who usually bring Cristina and Elena as well. In Norway, often Martha-Louise goes as well. I wonder why the danes never bring Joachim and Marie? Anyway I hope that most european royals as possible attend, but for me the most important are the heads of states and the heirs.

I wonder why the danes never bring Joachim and Marie?

The only european wedding that has been held since those two married was Princess Victoria's. Someone has to stay in the country and be regent, usually it is J&M.

Although the Queen has made a practice of not attending Royal events in other countries, I don't think this means that she has no contact with them. Quite often they are invited to stay at Balmoral, and the public rarely gets to know about them. I know that Queen Margrethe of Denmark definitely visited a few years ago, and there has always been a strong link with former Grand-Duke Jean of Luxembourg and the late King Hussein of Jordan. This link with the latter two may have continued with current members of the family. Also, the Royal Families of Norway, Sweden and Spain are cousins through, respectively, Queen Maud, Queen Margaret and Queen Victoria Eugenia. So I think there is more coming and going between them and the British Royal Family than might be apparent. I can't remember a Royal wedding or funeral that didn't have a good representation from other Houses, ruling and ex. Even the Charles and Camilla wedding, which was decidedly low key, was well attended. After all, if you are a Royal, only another Royal can really understand what your life and work is entirely about.

I believe Queen Margrethe has often called upon her Isle 'cousin' when in London for her Christmas shop. Queen Beatrix too has been invited to tea on occasion, if I recall correctly.

In the Queen's private audience room in Buckingham Palace, you'll note that on a counter stands two official portraits of Queen Margrethe and the Prince Consort with a personal hand written message located at the base of each. Between these two frames stands another portrait of Princes' William and Henry in military uniform. In it, William is wearing the Order of the Garter I believe.

Last edited:
Although the Queen has made a practice of not attending Royal events in other countries, I don't think this means that she has no contact with them. Quite often they are invited to stay at Balmoral, and the public rarely gets to know about them. I know that Queen Margrethe of Denmark definitely visited a few years ago, and there has always been a strong link with former Grand-Duke Jean of Luxembourg and the late King Hussein of Jordan. This link with the latter two may have continued with current members of the family. Also, the Royal Families of Norway, Sweden and Spain are cousins through, respectively, Queen Maud, Queen Margaret and Queen Victoria Eugenia. So I think there is more coming and going between them and the British Royal Family than might be apparent. I can't remember a Royal wedding or funeral that didn't have a good representation from other Houses, ruling and ex. Even the Charles and Camilla wedding, which was decidedly low key, was well attended. After all, if you are a Royal, only another Royal can really understand what your life and work is entirely about.

Just a minor correction....Margaret of Connaught became Crown Princess of Sweden. She died in 1920 way before her husband became King. Her cousin, Lady Louise Mountbatten (sister of the Earl of Mountbatten and Ingrid of Denmark) married Carl Gustaf in 1923, and was officially Queen of Sweden.

I think we will definitely see the heirs and their wives. Of the current Queens and Kings...I think Sonja/Harald, Sonia and maybe Margrethe. Not sure about Beatrix.

Just a minor correction....Margaret of Connaught became Crown Princess of Sweden. She died in 1920 way before her husband became King. Her cousin, Lady Louise Mountbatten (sister of the Earl of Mountbatten and Ingrid of Denmark) married Carl Gustaf in 1923, and was officially Queen of Sweden.

I think we will definitely see the heirs and their wives. Of the current Queens and Kings...I think Sonja/Harald, Sonia and maybe Margrethe. Not sure about Beatrix.

Lady Louise Mountbatten wasn't the sister of Ingrid of Sweden. Her sister was Princess Andrew of Greece who happened to give birth on a dining room table 90 years ago next June to a little boy. We know that little boy today as Prince Philip.

Thanks for the correction.

Either way, Louise the sister of the Earl of Mountbatten and Princess Andrew of Greece was the stepmother of Ingrid of Sweden (later of Denmark) and thus Queen of Sweden and not Margaret.

Ah, but if it's a noon wedding then I think the likelihood of Beatrix being there is greatly increased - just think what kind of 'cake' hat she could come up with for the day!:flowers:

^ I think Beatrix prefers her hats to her tiaras. She can't miss this opportunity!

Wasn't there a procession of European royals, starting with the most junior, at Charles and Diana's wedding?

I'm sure there will be a good royal turnout for William's wedding and I doubt any of the European royals would want to miss out on such an occasion. The one royal I am hoping to see is CP Masako - love to see her attend.

I think the last wedding she attended was P. Phillipe and Mathilde's back in 1999. I remember she wore royal blue.

It would be wonderful if Queen Beatrix attended in one of her amazing hats! But I think the following royal guests will definately attend:

King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway
Prince Constantine and Princess Laurentein of The Netherlands
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of The Hellenes
One of the Infantas of Spain
Queen Margrethe of Denmark or Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark

I predict CP Victoria will attend. After all, don't William and Victoria have a Greek prince as their godchild?

In that case, then CP Frederik and CP Felipe should go too.

in my opinion :
Local: Westminster Abbey (I would like to be St. Paul)
Date: Any Saturday in June (June 18, 2011)
Dress: Certainly the British fashion designer. The simple and a noble and very beautiful wedding dress. I'm guessing she might lace veil.
Tiara: Diamond or emerald
Music: Sir Paul McCartney

Especially the royal families of Europe and the world will attend the wedding of King and Queens. Crown prince and princesses in all European royal family and many princes, princesses will be there.
I think King Juan Carlos & Queen Sofia, King Gustav & Silvia, Queen Beatrix, Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik, King Albert & Queen Paola, Queen Rania, Queen Noor, King Harald & Queen Sonja, Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Maria Teressa, King Constantine & Queen Anne-Marie, Prince Albert, Princess Lalla Salma will attened the wedding

I wish I could be there.
TRF to be selected by drawing lots from a few people, what do you think?

Last edited:
I hope that Royal Families who have members around the same age as William, will send those members. It would be nice to see the young ones together represent their countries.
For example: Guillaume, Felix and Louis of Luxemburg, Madeleine of Sweden, the Casiraghi's for Monaco, the children of Queen Noor for Jordan.
I think only King and Queen of Jordan will attened the wedding, or perhaps Queen Noor who has a nice relation with Charles.

Oops, Zonk (#313). I forgot Margaret died before Carl Gustav became King. It was the other British 'Princess' who married CG who did become Queen. (Well, Louise would have been a princess if the 1st World War hadn't 'demoted' Continental Royalty to British Peers!)

I doubt many of the other Royal houses will attend. It's not as if any of the Brits are paticulary close to others.

^ I think a lot of the royal houses will attend. William may not be the heir to throne, he's heir's heir, but he's wedding is still very significant.

When Charles and Diana were married the swedish king and queen was at the wedding. I dont know if they attended any of the other princesses weddings.

Since we can rule out Carl-Philip attending if he cant bring Sofia along(he didnt go to a friends wedding because she couldnt go along) and the possiblity still exists that Victoria either has gotten a baby or is the final stages of her pregnancy she wont go(Daniel might if the baby has come) that leaves the wild card that is Madeleine. She might attend he she feels like it. If the king and queen goes then Victoria dont go for safteyreasons. After all, this event will be the target of extremists that want to hurt the UK

Why do i suspect that the swedish representation will be someone from our embassy.

Music: Elton John
Chuch: St Pauls Cathedral
Date: June 25, Midsummer
Weather: Partly cloudy/rain

Great recommendation -- thank you!

i don't know why people expect either Elton John or Paul McCartney to do music at the wedding; if anything, i would expect someone in William & Kate's own generation.

I hope they stick with classic church music, as there isn't much out there written after Star Wars.

i don't know why people expect either Elton John or Paul McCartney to do music at the wedding; if anything, i would expect someone in William & Kate's own generation.

I guess because Elton John sang at Diana's funeral, but I can't imagine they would have him sing at the wedding!

I hope they stick with classic church music, as there isn't much out there written after Star Wars.

I agree, classic hymns and music.
No need to have a "modern" affair.

I thought Rosemarie Bradford's gown and overall appearance were beautiful, at her recent wedding to Harry Meade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom