Wedding of William & Catherine: Something old...new...borrowed and blue

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayah

City
Sydney
Country
Australia
I wonder if Princess Catherine followed this old tradition?:flowers:

For starters, she is not Princess Catherine. She's Princess William, The Duchess of Cambridge. We know that her tiara was borrowed, her earrings were new as they were gifts from her parents, she had pieces of lace from a dress of Diana's sown into the waist of her skirt, so that was old, as for the blue......perhaps she had a blue stitch somewhere on the inside of her dress.

The something borrowed was the tiara.

The something new presumably the dress.

So - the something old - the engagement ring???

Something blue - ???

Maybe the blue was her engagement ring.

For starters, she is not Princess Catherine. She's Princess William, The Duchess of Cambridge. We know that her tiara was borrowed, her earrings were new as they were gifts from her parents, she had pieces of lace from a dress of Diana's sown into the waist of her skirt, so that was old, as for the blue......perhaps she had a blue stitch somewhere on the inside of her dress.

Yes I realise what her official title is ...... but she's such a lovely young lady, and every bit a princess, that she deserves the title. I'll think of her as "Princess". I'm glad she used some lace from one of Diana's dresses on her gown.

She had a blue ribbon sewn into her dress per Royalreporter

Old Is her underwear! ;)
New Is her dress, earrings and shoes
Borrowed Is her tiara
Blue Us her engagement ring

Just my guesses!

Per Royalreporter Twitter-

Old is influences of Carrickmacross and Arts and Crafs on dress design. New is earrings, a gift from her parents. Borrowed is tiara. Blue is ribbon sewn into dress

Yes I realise what her official title is ...... but she's such a lovely young lady, and every bit a princess, that she deserves the title. I'll think of her as "Princess". I'm glad she used some lace from one of Diana's dresses on her gown.

I didn't say she wasn't a princess, she is. She's Princess William. However her husband's peerage is a senior rank to just a prince, so she doesn't use the title Princess William, she uses The Duchess of Cambridge.

You are free to call her a princess - she is.

What she isn't is Princess Catherine. She wasn't born a princess and in Britain that means she doesn't becomes a Princess with her own name.

Her formal title is Duchess of Cambridge.

The Duchess of Cambridge will be known informally, to royal watchers, fans and the press, as Princess Kate or Princess Catherine. Diana was known as Princess Di and the Queen Mother was known as Queen Mum. It's a British 'tradition' and indicates the affection the public hold for these royals.
I'm sure in light of all the media coverage over the last few days everyone is more than aware what the correct titles are.
I think it's lovely that people wish to express affection by coining 'pet' names for the royals and this forum is an appropriate place to do that surely? It's not as though we are writing formal correspondence to the Palace, after all.

:previous: 'Pet' names should be observed by those who are personally familiar with the indavidual, imo.

I always wince when someone speaks of someone else in an overly familiar manner as though they are good friends and yet they do not know them personally. I find it odd.

In any case, royal watchers are generally sticklers for correct forms of address ;):D

Eiether that or they just refer to them by their given name.

Pet names to someone's face when one barely knows them is odd, agreed, but in the context of a public figure on a forum set up to discuss almost every aspect of their lives, not so much.

The medium of communication in which the pet name is expressed, or who infact it's expressed too, is irrelevant. I still find it quite odd.

But I speak only on my behalf and what it is I've observed of course :)

Last edited:

What she isn't is Princess Catherine. She wasn't born a princess and in Britain that means she doesn't becomes a Princess with her own name.

You're right of course, but I'm betting that the media will continue to use Princess Catherine (or Kate) no matter how often they are corrected!

That's what they did with Diana and they probably won't care if someone informs them that they got the title wrong. JMO.

We'll see if Charles on becomeing king does not grant her the style of "Princess Catherine" - after all he said he thinks of her as the daughter he never had. And his daughter would of course be "Princess Catherine of Wales" and later "The Princess Catherine".

We'll see if Charles on becomeing king does not grant her the style of "Princess Catherine" - after all he said he thinks of her as the daughter he never had. And his daughter would of course be "Princess Catherine of Wales" and later "The Princess Catherine".

Charles can't create her Princess Catherine of Wales because the "of Wales" denotes the son/daughter of the PoW, and when Charles is King, he will no longer be The Prince of Wales.

Nice idea, although since Catherine will always be called Duchess of Cambridge and then The Princess of Wales (assuming Prince William becomes the next Prince of Wales) and eventually Queen Catherine, there may not be much point in making her a Princess in her right by the time Charles becomes King. That is assuming Catherine has been supporting the Royal Family very well for all the years up to that point.

In other words, it's possible that King Charles might make her a Princess in her own right as a reward for service to the Royal Family, etc, but not just for the sake of making her a Princess. However I don't think it's a huge deal though.

As for the media, they're going to get it wrong, but at least the official reports (Court Circulars, etc) will call her correctly.

Charles can't create her Princess Catherine of Wales because the "of Wales" denotes the son/daughter of the PoW, and when Charles is King, he will no longer be The Prince of Wales.

I didn't meant hat Charles could make her "Princess Catherine of Wales" but that if he had a daughter named Catherine, this daughter (which in reality he never got) would be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. Just like his son Henry is HRH Prince Harry of Wales... (last example shows that it is possible to use Pet-names in official titles.

I didn't meant hat Charles could make her "Princess Catherine of Wales" but that if he had a daughter named Catherine, this daughter (which in reality he never got) would be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales. Just like his son Henry is HRH Prince Harry of Wales... (last example shows that it is possible to use Pet-names in official titles.

Yes, if Charles and Diana had a daughter named Catherine, she'd be HRH Princess Catherine of Wales, and upon her father's accession to the throne, HRH The Princess Catherine.

I misunderstood what you meant originally.

I'm betting that the media will continue to use Princess Catherine (or Kate) no matter how often they are corrected!

That's what they did with Diana and they probably won't care if someone informs them that they got the title wrong. JMO.

I don't think it's inevitable. They didn't with Sarah and they don't with Sophie, they were/are pretty much always referred to correctly as Duchess of York and Countess of Wessex.

The difference with Diana was that her title did include the word Princess, so calling her 'Princess Diana' was a natural step, albeit incorrect.

Whatever the title, to me she will always be Kate Middleton !

Doesn't that seem disrespectful, though? It sounds no different than the people who always refer to the Duchess of Cornwall as Camilla Parker-Bowles.

You're right of course, but I'm betting that the media will continue to use Princess Catherine (or Kate) no matter how often they are corrected!

The editors of this photo journal, which is fantastic, btw, have it all wrong. They keep referring to the couple as "Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge." Perhaps they were confused by "the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall."

Royal Wedding Ceremony (photos) | OregonLive.com

SM I am wondering if Charles when he becomes King or even QE2 can give Catherine a title like:

HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales or HRH Catherine Cambridge Princess of Cambridge... or HRH Catherine, Princess Mountbatten Windsor.

SM I am wondering if Charles when he becomes King or even QE2 can give Catherine a title like:

HRH Catherine, Princess of Wales or HRH Catherine Cambridge Princess of Cambridge... or HRH Catherine, Princess Mountbatten Windsor.

None of those titles make any sense. "Catherine, Princess of Wales" is what her title would be if she divorced William sometime after his creation as Prince of Wales. She would lose the HRH automatically. "Catherine Cambridge, Princess of Cambridge" doesn't even exist. She is not a Princess of Cambridge, she's The Duchess of Cambridge, which is a big difference. There is no such thing as a "Princess of Cambridge" anyway, and her surname is not Cambridge; she no longer has a surname. There is no such thing as "Princess Mountbatten-Windsor" either, as Mountbatten-Windsor is not a place, but rather the surname used by the Queen's descendants who don't have a princely status.

Also, "First name, Title" is the style that divorced women use. Why would Catherine use the style of a divorced woman if she isn't one?

None of those titles make any sense. "Catherine, Princess of Wales" is what her title would be if she divorced William sometime after his creation as Prince of Wales. She would lose the HRH automatically. "Catherine Cambridge, Princess of Cambridge" doesn't even exist. She is not a Princess of Cambridge, she's The Duchess of Cambridge, which is a big difference. There is no such thing as a "Princess of Cambridge" anyway, and her surname is not Cambridge; she no longer has a surname. There is no such thing as "Princess Mountbatten-Windsor" either, as Mountbatten-Windsor is not a place, but rather the surname used by the Queen's descendants who don't have a princely status.

Also, "First name, Title" is the style that divorced women use. Why would Catherine use the style of a divorced woman if she isn't one?

Thanks for the explanation...

We say for all bride's gowns :
Something new : Her earrings
Something old : Diana's ring
Something blu : Diana's ring
Someting borrowed The tiara

Is that correct for Catherin's dress????

NOPE
The earrings were knew
The tiara was borrowed
The blue was apparently something we couldn't see, and I don't know what the old was.
As for what to call her, I'm calling her Princess Catherine because a) she's married to a prince b) Diana was called Princess Diana so Kate can get the same treatment.

fandesacs2003 said:
We say for all bride's gowns :
Something new : Her earrings
Something old : Diana's ring
Something blu : Diana's ring
Someting borrowed The tiara

Is that correct for Catherin's dress????

Almost.....earrings new, something borrowed was the tiara, blue she had a blue ribbon tied into the skirt of her dress and old she had some lace designed into her dress that was old.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom