Wedding of William & Catherine: Royal Wedding Miscellania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hymn in the service that was also used at Diana's funeral is " Guide Me O Great Redeemer, so yes it is true, Princess Kami!

I love this vid!Now a ?When Harry gets married do you think there will be the same amount of grandeur and worldwide excitement as William's?Or will he have a smaller scale wedding?

With Harry, anything is possible from a smaller, less grand wedding to an elopement to getting married in Scotland or Africa even. I think that's quite a ways off yet though.

Royal protocol/etiquette?

Why did Prince William get into the carriage first, after the ceremony?

Why didn't Prince William watch Kate come down the aisle?

Thx!

:previous:

A) So he didn't trample over his brides dress

B) He simply wanted to wait until his wife to be, stood beside him at the alter.

Nothing to do with protocol. Just logic and personal preference.

Last edited:
Just found this myself

Why didn't Prince William watch his bride walk down the aisle? Tradition. The groom is the last person to see the bride, and can only do so after she has completed the long walk down the aisle and is at his side. Since the aisle at Westminster Abbey is about 300-feet long, he had at least a four-minute wait at the altar.

Thanks, BeeJay :)

Do you have the source?

Last edited:
My feeling was he was too nervous or would become too emotional to look. Perhaps he wished to avoid the tears that Prince Frederick of Denmark displayed on seeing his bride, Mary?

Etiquette even for non-royals dictates that a man should always get into a car (or carriage) first, to spare his female companion the need to slide across the seat and disarrange her dress. As for the other question, I would think it's either tradition or preference.

My source

I found the explanation - husband-to-be is last to see bride - from this article on Shine by Yahoo:

Royal wedding mysteries, solved

By Lylah M. Alphonse, Shine StaffFri, Apr 29, 2011 4:16 PM GMT+00:00

Thanks also for comment about getting into the carriage first.

Procession to the abbey

The procession to the abbey was a real car show. There was, of course, the state Bentley, Catherine in the Rolls-Royce Phantom VI and assorted Daimlers. The one though that really caught my eye was the one Charles and Camilla rode in, a Rolls-Royce Phantom IV from 1950. What's amazing is that it is a contemporary to the Lincoln used here by Presidents Truman and Eisenhower that's on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Michigan.

Military protocol at the wedding

Hi all, I have a question that might be best described as having to do with military protocol at the wedding.

I noticed that when William and Harry entered the church, they were wearing spurs (indicative of their position as knights) and sword slings, but no swords.

However, Philip, Charles and Andrew all had swords that they wore into the church. Philip also had spurs. Charles had no spurs. I didn't see Andrew's feet so I don't know if he wore spurs.

Is there a reason William and Harry did not bear arms into the church but their granddad and uncle and father did? As far as I remember, pictures that I have seen of Philip and Charles and Andrew at their weddings all showed them wearing swords.

What is the difference?

Hi all, I have a question that might be best described as having to do with military protocol at the wedding.

I noticed that when William and Harry entered the church, they were wearing spurs (indicative of their position as knights) and sword slings, but no swords.

However, Philip, Charles and Andrew all had swords that they wore into the church. Philip also had spurs. Charles had no spurs. I didn't see Andrew's feet so I don't know if he wore spurs.

Is there a reason William and Harry did not bear arms into the church but their granddad and uncle and father did? As far as I remember, pictures that I have seen of Philip and Charles and Andrew at their weddings all showed them wearing swords.

What is the difference?

Very interesting question re the swords (I hadn't noticed the spurs, but I wasn't looking for them). I had thought at least Prince William would have a sword. Maybe someone can answer this?

I too am very interested in knowing more about what the men wore and the military significance of it. I had read that Prince William would wear an empty scabbard.

Now I'm going to have to go back and look for Harry's spurs.

Did Prince Edward wear a uniform? Was he ever actually in the military? I would assume he has some honorary rank somewhere (but maybe not).

What uniform was Harry wearing, actually? I forgot to ask earlier and have been caught up in what the women wore.

Prince Edward was not in uniform. I believe he was in the Marines but resigned his commission before he graduated.

Yes, it was his uniform as royal honorary colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry.

I stand corrected. I confused the picture of the pre-wedding gala as the one for the wedding. My apologies.

I have the question, when they went back to the palace as man and wife, William saluted many times, and than Cathrine bent down her head. Why?

I have the question, when they went back to the palace as man and wife, William saluted many times, and than Cathrine bent down her head. Why?

To show her respect for the cause he was saluting.

Royal wedding speech: Prince Harry pays tribute to Prince William | Mail Online

Royal Wedding kiss: Prince William & Kate Middleton drive away in a vintage Aston Martin | Mail Online

Royal wedding reception: Prince Charles's speech to Kate Middleton | Mail Online

Royal Wedding 2011: Bride awakes a Princess... but William's back to work on Tuesday | Mail Online

William the worrier: Even on his wedding day, Prince watches out for his little bridesmaid | Mail Online

Royal Wedding kiss: Prince William & Kate Middleton drive away in a vintage Aston Martin | Mail Online

Royal wedding 2011: 2 kisses and 2 families coming together at last | Mail Online

Royal wedding: Kate Middleton wore just a tad too much mascara | Mail Online

Royal Wedding: 'Ninja nun' sat inches from Prince William | Mail Online

Royal Wedding: Pippa Middleton will be next to wed if she doesn't run off with Prince Harry | Mail Online

Royal wedding party: 'Prince Harry stage-dived into a crowd of palace revellers' | Mail Online

Royal wedding party: 'Prince Harry stage-dived into a crowd of palace revellers' | Mail Online

Pippa Middleton designs her own very special wedding dress... out of toilet paper | Mail Online

Kate and Pippa Middleton's Royal Wedding grooming tricks | Mail Online

Royal Wedding 2011: Victoria Beckham's hat by Philip Treacy only ready minutes before service | Mail Online

Royal Wedding: Why Chelsy Davy will NEVER marry Prince Harry | Mail Online

Royal wedding: Princess Beatrice swaps heels for trainers as she leaves after-party | Mail Online

William the worrier: Even on his wedding day, Prince watches out for his little bridesmaid | Mail Online

Kate Middleton is the people's princess as she steps out in High Street for first day as a Royal | Mail Online

Royal Wedding 2011: Did Kate's Mum help to choose something special for the trousseau? | Mail Online

Royal Wedding 2011: Did Kate's Mum help to choose something special for the trousseau? | Mail Online

Royal Wedding: A beautiful DIY make-up job...with a little advice beforehand | Mail Online

Royal Wedding pictures: The official Royal Wedding album suggests Kate and William's future will be happier than Charles and Diana's | Mail Online

wbenson said:
Royal wedding: loving Prince William rejects prenuptial agreement - Telegraph

Prince William's whispered words to Catherine Middleton at the altar in Westminster Abbey, "you are beautiful", are not his only romantic gesture. The Duke of Cambridge, as he now is, refused to sign a prenuptial agreement with his fiancée.

Oh no. I don't think that was smart idea. A pre-nup is not a bad thing. It doesn't mean you don't love the person. It's about protecting yourself cause you never know what the future holds.

Let's say what if William turns into a demon and wants nothing to do with Kate? Then without a prenup she's screwed. She'll have to hire the best lawyers etc and a whole lot of time will be wasted. I hope it doesn't get to that but I'm saying those agreement are very important....especially if one has a lot to lose.

CrownPrincess5 said:
Oh no. I don't think that was smart idea. A pre-nup is not a bad thing. It doesn't mean you don't love the person. It's about protecting yourself cause you never know what the future holds.

Let's say what if William turns into a demon and wants nothing to do with Kate? Then without a prenup she's screwed. She'll have to hire the best lawyers etc and a whole lot of time will be wasted. I hope it doesn't get to that but I'm saying those agreement are very important....especially if one has a lot to lose.

Agreed pre-nups should be signed when entering royal marriages.

The thing is, even if they did have a prenup, there's no reason to expect that a court would follow its terms. As of right now, they're not considered binding in any part of the UK. A court only recently allowed them to be entered into evidence at all, and it said that it would only be considered in certain circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom