The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put William in Albert's class quite yet. Albert had a taste for questionable women even when he was much younger.

So far the women that William has gone out with have seemed respectable and discreet.

I doubt if its the bar paying the bill but I imagine some of William's well-heeled friends may be paying the bill. It must be a status symbol to be able to say you took Prince William out for a drink.

ysbel said:
I doubt if its the bar paying the bill but I imagine some of William's well-heeled friends may be paying the bill. It must be a status symbol to be able to say you took Prince William out for a drink.

Also, I always think that people take these stories about him in the bars out of context. Like the stories about him being a "cheap skate" in Zermatt with the £4 tip or something. I mean, what if the reporter neglected to mention that the whole royal party split the tip? Then each one, maybe ten people, put up £4 to cover a £300 meal or something. But "William splits tip on expensive tab" doesn't grab attention like "Willy Cheapskate" (get it, really, Willy cheapskate!.:lol: :ROFLMAO:
Also maybe it's a security issue for William to use his Black Card, or whatever he has, with his famous name and style on it and his account number; or maybe it's just that he wants to be more discreet and he can always reimburse Guy Pelly or Tom van S or whomever in private.

Skydragon said:
TOFF BREAK FOR WILLS? MORE LIKE BAD TIMING

I HAVE tried really hard to believe that Kate Middleton is a victim of royal snobbery but somehow I just can't manage it.

Mirror.co.uk - News - Top Stories - TOFF BREAK FOR WILLS? MORE LIKE BAD TIMING

I found this a really insightful article and probably very spot-on about a lot of things. I think they were just too young, and William got scared--and rightfully so, probably. He's never been with anyone else. These days, 25 is SO young to get married. Too young. He obviously still has a lot of changing to do, and so does she, and they might have been miserable. Think about how different both of them must already be from the young college students who met four years ago. It was a mature decision on his part. And her "brave face" of the last several days is a sign that she knows it was the right thing as well. This isn't a tragedy. I don't think class or royal politics had anything to do with it. Just a normal breakup, and hopefully the press and public will move on soon, as Kate and William are already beginning to.

An earlier report in this thread claimed the bar tab was £800, which is a long way from US$11,000.
It's more a case of "pluck a number out of the air and publish it as fact".

And to think the entire country had a collective episode of angst over the young Prince Charles and one little glass of cherry brandy. Is this what's known as progress?

Honestly, it's getting hard to believe anything you read in the papers these days. It sounds as though they're just making things up because they want to sell their product, and the more tawdry they can portray the breakup to be, the better it'll be for sales. If William really kept Kate stringing along for all those years, knowing that her background was unsuitable, it was a stupid, not to say cruel, waste of time for everyone concerned. But it just beggars belief that after four years of being together, he suddenly couldn't handle the fact that the Middletons come from a different social stratum. If there's any truth in this whatever, which I seriously doubt, I can only imagine how Sophie Wessex must be feeling because her background isn't that different from Kate's.

Last edited:
hibou said:
Thanks for the article. Maybe in a couple years if she isn't married they will get back together who knows. You never can tell these days. Maybe they just needed a break to step back from the press pressure and take stock. Maybe he needs a year to see what it's like with women throwing themselves at him just for cash and tiara? Let's hope he doesn't end up like Prince Albert with two kids not in line to the throne and mothers looking for a steady paycheck for life. JMO

Let's hope she is not married and it ends up like Camilla and Charles over again....

I think he needs a woman like the Princess Máxima, a woman with very much character, presence... or the Princess Letizia...

William needs a Pearly Princess

A nation mourns, except for tabloid editors with pages to fill. Prince William has broken up with Kate Middleton, his lovely girlfriend. Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, stop the dog barking with a juicy bone.

FT.com / World - William needs a Pearly Princess

pretoriana18: I beg to differ, because i dont't think someone like Maxima would be suitable for William. If Kate wasnt' the one because of her coal miner grandfather, imagine the daughter of a man who was one of the people who were responsible for the death of many argentinians during the dictatorial government.

And about Letizia, if being middle class, with no aristocratic blood is also a problem for Kate, imagine being a divorced woman.

I hate to say it but I'd love to see him marry a princess--perhaps some obscure German girl from a formerly-titled family? I just miss the old system of international alliances. I did like Kate, though, and would have been happy to see her stay at his side.

karolandrade said:
And about Letizia, if being middle class, with no aristocratic blood is also a problem for Kate, imagine being a divorced woman.

Well, this is all true but the SRF got over the divorced factor, if only because Letizia was better than alternatives like Eva Sannum, who knows. As for the BRF, they're steps ahead, really, with Prince Charles and Camilla being able to marry. So I suppose if William wanted to marry a divorced woman, the BRF would deal with that too. The precedent has already been set. Charles, heir to throne, could marry a divorced person, and be divorced himself, so I don't see divorce being a hurdle for future heirs.

Pleasedtomeetyou said:
As far as Kate is concerned, I am surprised that quite a lot of people close to William appear to be quite supportive of her. I read in one of the papers that Guy Pelly and Holly Branson are keeping contact with her and one of the tabloids even reports that Zara Philipps is busy organizing a girls' weekend for Kate in Brighton - quite unusal for a cousin of one's ex-lover. ....

Many couples break up and then months down the road get back together after having taken a break from each other...time away long enough to realize they want to be together. Perhaps the same could happen with William and Kate.

It seems like Miss Middleton became friends with lots of people in PW's circle, so I suppose many or some of them stay in touch and show her support. The reports of the breakup all have various claims, but all seem to agree the breakup was amiable, so I imagine that the friends are not split in different camps. The friends can show support for both and be friends on both sides, I imagine.
She does seem to be good friends with some in particular: Branson who invited her to that South Africa party, Pelly of course, Meade, Tom van S.

CasiraghiTrio said:
It seems like Miss Middleton became friends with lots of people in PW's circle, so I suppose many or some of them stay in touch and show her support. The reports of the breakup all have various claims, but all seem to agree the breakup was amiable, so I imagine that the friends are not split in different camps. The friends can show support for both and be friends on both sides, I imagine.
She does seem to be good friends with some in particular: Branson who invited her to that South Africa party, Pelly of course, Meade, Tom van S.

Or they could close ranks with William to leave Kate out. :ermm: It depends on who was whose friend first. I assume those part of the William/Harry circle will remain loyal to their kin and Kate will slowly find other places and people to hang out with.

CasiraghiTrio: But the thing about Charles and Camila is that Charles already had a heir and his divorce from Diana was the worst thing that could happen to the BRF, it couldn't get any lower.

And about the SRF, I agree with you. After Eva and the way Felipe seemed to be in love with her,Letizia (and I do't mean she isn't a good princess) was better than becoming a second Albert of Monaco.

By the way, if only the BRF had the same influence over the press that the SRF does, we wouldn't be discussing it by now.

Anyway, for whom it may concern, I'm sorry if i sound like someone who was bashing Letizia and Maxima.

I'm so glad here in Brazil we don't have a rouyal family (but i sure miss having a princess as beautiful as Caroline from Monaco or such a lovely couple like Mary and Frederik).

About Kate, I do like her, and I think her story was similar to Mary Donaldson. Just hope she can move on and achieve great things in her life.

For William, i hope he finds someone that can be suitable and nice to him.

I guess if there was a soundtrack for this break up, it would be "Ordinary People" by John Legend. What do you think?

Which is the break up song for Wills and Kate? Anything cheesy?

Last edited:
karolandrade said:
Which is the break up song for Wills and Kate? Anything cheesy?

How about "Breaking Up is So Hard to Do" especially when several million are watching you! :lol:

ysbel said:
How about "Breaking Up is So Hard to Do" especially when several million are watching you! :lol:

If you really want cheesy- then how about Abba- "Knowing Me Knowing You"

:lol:

While we're with ABBA, there's always "The Winner Takes it All".

Warren said:
While we're with ABBA, there's always "The Winner Takes it All".

But then the question becomes "Who's the winner?" ;)

AuroraB said:

I have to vote for Kate because no matter what else she does with her life she will be successful. At least judging by the way in which she has conducted herself not only during their romance but most importantly after it. And who knows they still might get back together once William finds out how many girls just want to go out with him for the tiara!

AuroraB said:

Definately Kate. She gets spared of joining 'the circus'.

When I said 'circus' I was referring to a quote tht one of Charles' ex girlfriends referred to the Royal family as. A circus, as in a place where its all a show etc. (intensive media, protocol etc)

Last edited:
Definitely Kate! Though we lose by not getting her as POW.
I think Australian is trying to point out that those who are members of the RF pay a price for their status and are expected to "perform" and definitely give up a good deal of their privacy. They do essentially live in a "circus".

I keep wondering at the media who print these stories about Kate not being blue blooded enough. Who exactly are these people if not regular blokes themselves. Sophie, Sara Ferguson, Camilla, Tim, Mark Phillips, Tony Armstrong- Jones are not what you'd call upper class folks and they seemed to do just fine for the RF. These stories are just plain insulting to the average Joe or Jane and can only serve to do great damage to the RF in the long run.

qui mal y pense said:
I think Australian is trying to point out that those who are members of the RF pay a price for their status and are expected to "perform" and definitely give up a good deal of their privacy. They do essentially live in a "circus".
quote]

Yes that was what i was meaning. Apparently one of Charles' girlfriends compared the Royal family to that of a circus so I just used her quote- i think it summs it up nicely, sweet and short:)

Yet another, but with additional "possible" reasons why the split with more of an emphasis on Kate possibly ending the romance. Like with all tabloids and "news" reports, this should be taken lightly until we hear of something different, of course.:)

Did royal interference cause Prince William and Kate Middleton's split?

A secret royal marriage deal was the real reason behind Britain's Prince William and Kate Middleton's split, it has been reported.
The couple allegedly reassessed their relationship when they discovered their future was being decided for them, with their engagement talked about as a "done deal".

According to reports, Queen Elizabeth was keen for the pair to wed, as it would help improve the public face of the royal family.

Did royal interference cause Prince William and Kate Middleton's split? | 24dash.com - Showbiz & Slap Dash

You know, my opinion of all KATE/WILLIAM relationship is that everything we say here is pure speculation and that we don't know anything for sure!

HRH Kimetha said:
Yet another, but with additional "possible" reasons why the split with more of an emphasis on Kate possibly ending the romance. Like with all tabloids and "news" reports, this should be taken lightly until we hear of something different, of course.:)
Did royal interference cause Prince William and Kate Middleton's split?
This one's good, and bears some analysis. From the top:

24dash.com - Showbiz & Slap Dash
"it has been reported..."
"According to reports..."
"A royal source..."
"...Britain's Grazia magazine..."
"Kate was said to have..."
"The source added..."
"Another source revealed..."
"Copyright BANG Royal2007"

The website's 'About Us' page claims it is a "news site run by professional journalists".
Is this what they teach in journalism schools these days? :lol:

I wish it wasn't, but I do wonder sometimes.

Somehow I doubt the claim "Queen Elizabeth was keen for the pair to wed, as it would help improve the public face of the royal family." since I assume the Queen is smart enough to know that family pressure to get married doesn't guarantee a successful marriage and that the fallout of an unsuccessful rushed marriage is highly detrimental to the public face of the royal family and a great deal more besides. You'd think she might remember what happened to Charles, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom