The Reported Breakup - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had to delete some posts debating the purpose of this forum.

In case any of you wondered, the purpose of this forum is to discuss royals without slandering or libelling anyone.

Now that we have that settled, I trust the debate is finished and I shall take you back to your regular program. :flowers:

ysbel
British forums moderator

I tried to understand the joke about Mrs. Middleton's former profession as an airline hostess: "doors to manual"... but simply can't figure it out. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you very much in advance. Jo, German native speaker :flowers:

Just before landing, the captain of the aeroplane comes on the overhead speaker to inform the cabin crew to put 'doors to manual' which basically means that when the doors of the plane are opened the escape shutes don't inflate. I think that just because it is always said on flights, in the UK, it has become a bit of a cathcphrase. Hope that helps.:flowers:

Charles played no role in Wills' break-up with Kate

Prince William's decision to call off his five year relationship with Kate Middleton was taken without any members of his family, especially his father Prince Charles, interfering, Royal sources insist.

Charles played no role in Wills' break-up with Kate

Separate lives for William and Kate

AS he copes with the break up of his first long term relationship, Prince William's future remains set, mapped out to mould him into a king.

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?sectionid=55&articleid=2704709

Last edited:
It strikes me as overkill with the heavy handed blames put on Carol Middleton. If the couple reached a decision back weeks and it's been kept on the quiet for that time, then the flury of stories coming out about poor William and how unsuitable her family is all of sudden. I have to pinch myself to remember this is not a page out of "Pride and Prejudice".

So what Carol Middleton wants what's best for her daughter. Any mother would. It's not like this is exclusively middleclass. For all the polished veneers, the titled would push for their daughters to be the next princess/queen. It seems to me as a desperate PR move to make sure William doesn't come off looking the bad guy.

Incas said:
For all the polished veneers, the titled would push for their daughters to be the next princess/queen. It seems to me as a desperate PR move to make sure William doesn't come off looking the bad guy.
Most of the titled have more sense than to push for their daughters to be subjected to the media hounding, public pulling apart and mass hysteria than seems to accompany any partner of a future prince of wales! :flowers: Gone are the days of chivalry, when it was always reported that the girl had broken it off with the man! :sad:

Well, like I said, it is highly unlikely that any paper (and note that most of the ones printing this stuff are not so reliable) would put the onus on Ms Middleton. It would not do to embarras the royal family, perceived or otherwise. It would make their readership upset and less likely to purchase papers, and might open themselves to a lible suit, so the easy way out is to say that William is the one who broke it off. Thereby the paper gets a story and William is not "embarrased" by having lost a girlfriend.. Needless to say I doubt that we will ever know the true story, so I take all of this with a sack of salt.

Avalon said:
What all of us may want to remember is that not everything reported by the Media is true.
I don't mean the actual break up, I think we can be certain that something had really happened.
I mean all the rumours surrounding the break up. We don't know what are the reasons behind it, we don't know whether Prince William's friends were really humiliating Miss Middleton's family, we don't know whether even 5% of the articles posted are true.

They are just a couples and couples do break up sometimes. I have to say this for kate though - she behaved herself with utmost dignity both before and after the break. My respect for her is as strong as ever, regardless of all Kate bashing or Kate the Saint articles.

Very well said Avalon!:flowers:

We will never know how the split happened and why: not today and not tomorrow. We should accept that some things in very life are private!
But i also know that the rumours we read now are only the beginning of speculations about Wiliams future life and his future girlfriend or wife.
When i read the headlines of today i only can shake my head, and i will give up to discuss these news without any facts, it´s only boring!

Doesn't this all sound a bit like a broken record...............one that his father played 30 years or so ago? Letting a commoner go because he wasn't ready and maybe she wasn't good enough for the role? I would've thought William's witness to his parents mistakes surely would have made him smarter and at least more sensitive. I hope he doen't go the route of bar and bed hopping for surely he will never find Queen material between the sheets.

Prince William has an advantage - his father is very supportive of him and would accept any decision of his, whether decision of a break up or decision of an engagement.

I don't think this present situation has anything to do with what happened 20 years ago. And I think it's not exactly fair to compair the situations, since we don't know exacly what happened back then and we have little information what happened now.

Thank you for the explanation of the phrase "doors to manual". I still don't see the joke in it, but okay...

As for the way the separation was handled I would be interested in some opinions.

For me the fact that Williim and Catherine had once lived together at university and were appearing in public as a couple (as in kissing, spending holidays together, entering her home together with him leaving in the morning, hosting dinner parties at restaurants together, spending weekends at his or her family home), told me that they were an item, even without being married.
It is okay to end such a relationship, of course.

But for me the way it was handled was very unpolite and humiliating for the girl. As Skydragon said: in former times the public reading would have been that she ended the relationship. Okay, it was a rule about ending a betrothal, but in former times such "informal" ways to be a couple didn't exist, so there were no rules. In addition in former times the gentleman did all to protect the reputation of the lady.... As did Charles IMHO for Camilla, even when he confessed to adultery at TV he (IIRC) did not mention her name.

So the way William handled the situation seems to be completely unpolite. Not only is Catherine left standing in the rain, through his partying right after the news he gave the impression that he was feeling that he was well rid of her - with all the innuendos and impressions this behaviour invited.

For me it is simply unbelievable that someone who wants to become a head of state one day and be the fond of all honour could act so without personal honour. Would it have been too much to give a short statement to the press that HRH prince William of Wales and Miss Catherine Middleton have decided to separate? Or another wording to the same effect?

Plus the Royal family or prince Charles could have helped her to find a job in her profession outside the Uk for a while, maybe working for Sotheby's or Christie's (can't remember where Lord Linley is a member of the board of directors) in NY or Los Angeles. Or she could have been helped to a job with a fashion designer abroad - there must be some where the RF has connections to and who would want to help. Maybe they are already trying to help her, but couldn't they have waited till it was all settled?

One might imagine that the media got wind of the decision before it was planned to inform the press but still it should have been possible to react more dignified on William's side, to see to it that his friends keep quiet for a bit longer till Catherine would have been gone and then let her release a statement that she decided that she wanted to improve her professional experience... with anyone knowing what this means, of course, but still.

The way it happened with her was uncalled for - as she had IMHO done nothing to deserve such a callous treatment by the man she believed loved her, a man who is not a little boy having seen the movie "Free Willy" once to often but an officer on his way to command first some men and then the respect of a whole nation.

I believe that Charles and Camilla as well as the queen and the duke of Edinburgh are no social snobs even though they realise that their life is different from the life of others and that there are circumstances that set them apart. That's the way it is. Still they try to make a difference for the others they feel responsible for: you don't need to invite the homeless for dinner or let them sleep on your pillows if you want to help them. You only need to treat them as human beings with their own right of dignity. That's what William has not yet understood, IMHO.

And being the child of a different, more egocentric and selfish and less dutiful time than his grandmother or his father, I'm afraid he might be the true threat to the monarchy. Being the souverain has not so much to do with looking good, throwing parties, organising memorial concerts or services or giving his name to charities but it has to do with real compassion for the people. Both Diana and Charles (have) had that ability, even though both (have been/were brought up in splendour and have been/were convinced of their divine right to an elevated position in society.

My point is: William could and should have protected his former lover - instead he humiliated her with another night of partying. What a future king!

Last edited:
First Post

I too feel badly for both the Prince and for Miss Middleton, but also some disappointment with William. He needs to do the gallant thing, even if belatedly, and make a public statement that uplifts Catherine as much as is possible under the circumtances. William has his future laid out for him; Kate is left hanging, though she seems to be a woman of strong character with many excellent qualities who'll make her life work. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't wish both of them the best, apart or . . . maybe together in the future after all?????:neutral:

Marigold

If William really is as immature as the press concerning the separation reported than Kate can be happy to have got rid of him.
As I wrote before he´s much too young for a serious relation that could end in a marriage. He IMO still needs for years to "sow his wild oats".
IMO he hasn´t got a bit of an attitude to at least try to find a noble wife. He will hang around with all that (rich) party girls in the next years and might get the same problems as his father did who had(s) a long time relationship to a married woman and then was urged to marry a virgin like Diana. If he prefers party girls or commoners there´s never ever a chance for him to become happy with another type of woman....

Thank you for posting the article, Karla64

If even little part of the article is actually true, my respect for Kate has grown even more.
I'm far from blaiming any part in the break up, but whatever happened, Kate behaved herself admirably.

imo she always handled herself with class and decorum and does not deserve to be treated so rudely. i hope these nasty "friends" are not in the princes trust too much, because they will turn on him if it suits them. just shows breeding doesn't equate with class.

Saphire said:
How sad, they seemed like a pretty solid couple. But is this true - Royal split: Snobbery center stage - CNN.com

Well, it's now a topic in the British and international media, so it definately casts the Royal family and their circle in a bad light. Obviously one does not need a princess Diana to tell the public about how snobbish the people around the Royals are - one need only journalists eager to listen to William's "friends".
Editors in situations like this tend to try to verify statements and judge them by their ownm experiences. If different, rival papers come to similar results like in this case, there normally is a grain of truth in it. As one journalist said: these quotes have been around for some time but till this time they were not printed.

For me it is really sad as I see the effort Charles and Camilla have made to appear down to earth and really caring. And it's worse because the "normal" reader of papers tend to think in archetypes and is not so much interested in somehow difficile details of a story. They get plain pictures of events, not the truth in all its intriguing and often ambiguous aspects. This time they get to hear again what a cold-hearted and snobbistic bunch of people surrounds the Royals, joking about a nice and decent girl from their own midst.

In a way Catherine represented the archetyp of "American dream princess" - one should not forget that she herself is a considerable heiress with a posh education. She's no little working class gal like "Eliza Doolittle". William appeared to be her Prince Charming, but is now cast in the role of spoiled brat. Is there nobody within the royal circles who cares a bit for this monarchy and its image? William obviously doesn't.

Good for Kate for not letting the snappers get a photo of her crying. That just shows to me what a smart woman she is. And I for one don't think she should run out of country or get another quiet job over the breakup. She hadn't done anything she needs to be ashamed of.

Incas said:
Good for Kate for not letting the snappers get a photo of her crying. That just shows to me what a smart woman she is. And I for one don't think she should run out of country or get another quiet job over the breakup. She hadn't done anything she needs to be ashamed of.

That was not what I meant. For me, she could have had a much better position with her degree if she had ended her relationship with William shortly after university and started to really work on her career. Now she has to make up for lost times. Another girl from William's acquaintance, Arabelle Musgrave is as well only 25 and alread head of PR for Gucci. So a similar job for Catherine is at least thinkable. And I guess she would enjoy taking part in the vivid art scene of the US instead of being confronted with snobbery and media intrusion in Britain. Just my two cents... :flowers:

Jo of Palatine said:
That was not what I meant. For me, she could have had a much better position with her degree if she had ended her relationship with William shortly after university and started to really work on her career. Now she has to make up for lost times. Another girl from William's acquaintance, Arabelle Musgrave is as well only 25 and alread head of PR for Gucci. So a similar job for Catherine is at least thinkable. And I guess she would enjoy taking part in the vivid art scene of the US instead of being confronted with snobbery and media intrusion in Britain. Just my two cents... :flowers:

This post is great. This is exactly what I thought. Now she won't have to waste time in a yah job, stupid Jigsaw buying, just buying time. She can use that expensive degree she has.
She is no longer living on "Palace time". It's her time now!:clap:

kelly9480 said:
I've been on several sites and have seen this huge backlash against William, calling him churlish and a cad, and whatnot. I just don't seem to understand why a 24-year-old man deciding that he isn't prepared to marry his long-term girlfriend makes him a horrible person. It's not like he pulled an Earl Spencer and tossed her out -- he decided that he couldn't marry her at this point in his life and that it was better for both of them to go their own ways. The demonising of William seen on the Daily Mail and Times sites is disturbing because it seems to imply that William was duty-bound to marry her -- and we all saw how marrying someone out of duty rather than a genuine desire leads to disaster with his parents.

Exactly i agree with you. He's being made out to be the bad one here. Well he hasn't cheated on her or anything (as far as we know). He's decided that he doesn't want to be in a long term relationship anymore - what's wrong with that? So he went out for a few drinks, it was probably to drown his sorrows and to forget about the break up.

According to the press a few of Kate's 'friends' may sell their story and if you believe the papers today, her 'friends' are saying that she felt that she was putting her life on hold for him, but who knows...

Neither is to blame, they are just two young people who decided to end it all - they will get on with their lives and meet other people. This is not a tragedy.

I think though that in the future, perhaps when Wills breaks up with someone else, then then Clarence House should release some sort of statement to dampen the inevitable media speculation.

I get the feeling from reading the papers, that the media is desperate for this relationship breakup to become bitter.

Well a bitter breakup would sell more papers!

i just want to know, What were they thinking? They knew he had a long stint in the army coming up. Even if they'd have been engaged that wouldn't have changed much.
I don't think William can be blamed for being Royal and thinking of himself first- it's the way he's been brought up.
But I do give Kate a lot of credit for standing up for herself. She has shown throughout the years that she is a young woman of extraordinary strength of character and I wish her all the best.
I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see some new tiaras, sigh!

is it really the breakup?, because William and Kate are not married. Clarence House doesn´t have official press release.

Martha said:
is it really the breakup?, because William and Kate are not married. Clarence House doesn´t have official press release.

There is never a need for a press release. You do it because you want to inform the world about something or to tell your side of the story. The separation of Diana and Charles was not made in a press release but the prime minister informed parliament about it. I know of no broken Royal engagement in Britain, so can't say something about if there are rules for it.

But in a case like that, with so much public interest, it should be possible to inform the media in order to give the official side to the story and put a stop to the rumours. Clarence House informed the public after all that Camilla does not suffer from cancer. Is this not talking about her private life in order to stop negative rumours?

btsnyder said:
I have a question about the "proper" language to use when meeting the Queen or other members of the Royal Family. I've seen a few times that when Mrs. Middleton met the Queen, she said "Pleased to meet you," and that this was some kind of horrible middle-class faux pas. What is THAT about?
'How do you do' is the more acceptable term for a first meeting and Mrs M would have been advised of that, that's why I think it is bunkum! :flowers: Don't forget that a lot of this is being invented by the media and by the usual 'close friends' (they were in the same club once), 'unnamed sources', (they were not included in either circle and still harbour a grudge) and the ubiquitous 'royal source' which is probably an ex employee at one of the palaces!

A few are asking 'how could he if he loved her' or saying that they were in a 'committed long term relationship', it seems to me they were not in a committed relationship and after 4/5 years just fell out of love, it happens!

All you have to do is ask yourselves why there are so many different versions about at the moment. We have the 'phone in the car park breakup', the 'Easter breakup', the meeting, etc, etc. Perhaps that is because none of them know what or when, I mean we even have Catherine announcing it on Thursday to her close unnamed friends!:rolleyes: The picture from This London does not show a lovelorn heartbroken woman, it shows someone who is free at last!
Lovelorn match: smiling Kate plays tennis | News | This is London

Bravo Kate!
It is really funny just how many different angles there are on this story and just proves that we will never kow the whole truth. i wouldn't be a bit surprised if SHE was the one who called it quits!

CasiraghiTrio said:
This post is great. This is exactly what I thought. Now she won't have to waste time in a yah job, stupid Jigsaw buying, just buying time. She can use that expensive degree she has.
She is no longer living on "Palace time". It's her time now!:clap:

Ditto for Kate.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom