The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOY!

Gentry
City
Columbus
Country
United States
To me, if she is indeed going to be Will's future wife, she should be doing something. Maybe joining some charities (for all we know she might have, bit I feel if she did the press would jump on the news?). Though again there is always an 'if' she might not end up marrying William, then what? it seems that a lot of people have married them off (including the press) we have no idea how serious they're relationship is. They could be very close and considering marriage down the road, or they might not even want to get married yet.
There is nothing wrong with taking a break after college. Expecially if you can afford to do so. The thing is, if she isn't going to be working then why is she and or the paps saying she is? I think I and a lot of other people would respect her more if she simply, stated she wasn't going to be working, instead of hearing all these rumours of her doing a child clothing line.

I think people feel she needs to justify not having a job, because if she does one day marry William and become queen, she will end having to do a good amount of work. No one wants a lazy royal (not saying she is, but just using an example).

Last edited:
JOY! said:
I think people feel she needs to justify not having a job, because if she does one day marry William and become queen, she will end having to do a good amount of work. No one wants a lazy royal (not saying she is, but just using an example).

But you just said that she might not marry William and from what we know (which is very little) either option is possible.

I have to admit you struck upon a pet peeve of mine and that is when the public or the press gets it into their head to demand that a private person do something or make a statement to appease the public and to justify themselves. And the public acts as if they're doing the person a favor, "Oh if you would only do this, we'd like you more so why don't you be sensible and do it?"

Kate does not have to justify herself because she still is a private citizen. As you said she may not marry William. People are free to like or dislike who they want but demanding that they say or act a certain way is too much.

Last edited:
But you just said that she might not marry William and from what we know (which is very little) either option is possible.

exactly, thats why i put the 'if' in there LOL.

I have to admit you struck upon a pet peeve of mine and that is when the public or the press gets it into their head to demand that a private person do something or make a statement to appease the public and to justify themselves. And the public acts as if they're doing the person a favor, "Oh if you would only do this, we'd like you more so why don't you be sensible and do it?"

my comment was in general, it didn't really express my personal opinion. As I wrote before, my thing is, she doesn't have to work, but why is there so much gossip that she is working? obviously someone in her camp, let something slip.
I agree, sometimes the public and the press, do all this "if you only do this, then we'll like you.." crap.

This girl might possibly become the next queen, use the common british persons tax money (which many of them work hard for) to go on vacations and sun dresses, attend lavish parties etc. And yet many of you say that the british public is not even suppose to express what they expect of this woman. It's not "if you do this then we will like you..." It's "if you wan't us to respect you and take you seriously and not think that you are just another person who wants to mary william for attention... then show us something so we can believe all that." I don't know if I made any sense but that's how I feel.

Laraib said:
This girl might possibly become the next queen, use the common british persons tax money (which many of them work hard for) to go on vacations and sun dresses, attend lavish parties etc. And yet many of you say that the british public is not even suppose to express what they expect of this woman. It's not "if you do this then we will like you..." It's "if you wan't us to respect you and take you seriously and not think that you are just another person who wants to mary william for attention... then show us something so we can believe all that." I don't know if I made any sense but that's how I feel.

I think that's asking a bit much of her. At this stage there is no reason for anyone to believe that she wants to Marry William - for attention or any other reason. The attention she would get is definitely not a plus factor, IMO, and would be a very good reason for a sensible woman to run from him as fast as she can! If she marries him, I think it will be because she loves him enough to be prepared to give up her right to privacy and devote her life to supporting him and carrying out the other duties that go with that role, which include facing the scrutiny and demands of the public and their agents, the media. When and if William and Kate announce their engagement, then and ony then will Kate owe anything to the public, in my opinion. Right now, she owes the public nothing.

Right now she is his girlfriend, that's all, and William is (hopefully) many years away from becoming King. His grandmother seems to be in excellent health and then his father will have his run, and Camilla will be the next Queen even if that is not what she is known as. William deserves the opportunity to enjoy his younger years and pursue a career and marry and raise a family before the burden of being monarch falls on his shoulders. I am sure that the person William marries, whoever it is, will have no doubt what is expected of her and will receive plenty of guidance and assistance in defining and learning how to perform her duties.

Last edited:
This girl might possibly become the next queen, use the common british persons tax money (which many of them work hard for) to go on vacations and sun dresses, attend lavish parties etc.

I'm not sure if I understand your post but if you are suggesting that Kate is using money from taxes at the moment that would be incorrect. Remember Kate's parents are millionaries already. She went to the same boarding school that Princess Eugenie is currently enrolled in. She might be a commoner but she is not poor and there is no reason to suggest that British Taxes are paying for her vacation and clothes. Even if William was paying for some stuff like the vacation the money would either come out of his trust fund or from his father's estate.

Laraib said:
This girl might possibly become the next queen, use the common british persons tax money (which many of them work hard for) to go on vacations and sun dresses, attend lavish parties etc.

The girl who marries Prince William and becomes Queen Consort when he becomes King will be funded from several sources, not just the British taxpayer. As the son of the Prince of Wales and then as the eldest son of the King, William has access to money from the Duchy of Cornwall; as King, he has access to the proceeds of the Duchy of Lancaster. His wife - whoever she is - will be expected to have an expensive wardrobe of clothes and to attend lavish parties as part of the job. It's well known that the royals also go on vacation. It's also well known that a Queen Consort spends a large part of her life performing royal duties, which is a public service.

And yet many of you say that the british public is not even suppose to express what they expect of this woman.

I guess I missed where anybody said that the British public aren't supposed to express their opinion. The chances are that there isn't "an opinion" of the British public but that individuals all have their separate opinions, ranging from outright republicanism to uncritical support of the monarchy.

It's not "if you do this then we will like you..." It's "if you wan't us to respect you and take you seriously and not think that you are just another person who wants to mary william for attention... then show us something so we can believe all that." I don't know if I made any sense but that's how I feel.

Since we can't read minds, I don't think any of us can say with any certainty that Kate is with William for the attention. It's entirely possible that she actually loves the guy.

Elspeth said:
His wife - whoever she is - will be expected to have an expensive wardrobe of clothes and to attend lavish parties as part of the job. It's well known that the royals also go on vacation. It's also well known that a Queen Consort spends a large part of her life performing royal duties, which is a public service.

Exactly. Performing public service which means service from which the people can benefit. Not everyone can do that. IF kate becomes williams wife she needs to know that it's not ALL lavish party's and high fashion (which she seems to be thinking IN MY OPINION) it going to include public service and not necessarily pleasing but being accepted by the British public as well as the royal family. Please don't say that public image doesn't matter. It does, it did and it sure will. I think public image was the reason why Charles didn't marry Camilla in 1997. So it is important.

Elspeth said:
I guess I missed where anybody said that the British public aren't supposed to express their opinion. The chances are that there isn't "an opinion" of the British public but that individuals all have their separate opinions, ranging from outright republicanism to uncritical support of the monarchy.

No one says british public aren't suppose to express their opinons but many have suggested that they shouldn't expect anything from her.

Elspeth said:
Since we can't read minds, I don't think any of us can say with any certainty that Kate is with William for the attention. It's entirely possible that she actually loves the guy.

I don't know maybe she does. Who knows? As I have been told repeatdly on this forum "don't assume things just from looking at the photographs."

:)

Exactly. Performing public service which means service from which the people can benefit. Not everyone can do that. IF kate becomes williams wife she needs to know that it's not ALL lavish party's and high fashion (which she seems to be thinking IN MY OPINION)

Why do you think that? Most people in Britain are very well aware that the senior royals work very hard for the public good. Most of the ladies who have married into the royal family haven't had careers beforehand - a few of them had pin money-type jobs but mostly lived off family money. Sophie was one of the only ones who had a career, and it seemed to have done at least as much harm as good in the longer run. If Kate is spending any time at all around Charles and the Queen, she'd have to be mentally defective to not know how much boring routine hard work is involved in royal life.

it going to include public service and not necessarily pleasing but being accepted by the British public as well as the royal family. Please don't say that public image doesn't matter. It does, it did and it sure will. I think public image was the reason why Charles didn't marry Camilla in 1997. So it is important.

Of course public image is important. I don't see the general image of Kate in Britain as being someone who only cares about the good times to be had and isn't serious about William. There's more of a perception that Chelsy is dating Harry because of his position than that Kate is dating William because of his.

I still believe a marriage for Kate and William is not going to happen anytime soon. She has plenty of time to find herself and he needs time to fulfill his military obligations and increase his public duties.

I doubt the Queen is prepared to entertain a marriage for William in the near future and Kate is therefore free to do whatever she wishes.

Laraib said:
I agree with your premise except for one thing: I think it's too early to demand she justify herself. I think she can be unemployed for the next decade while bathing in paparazzi attention because she's fancied by the son of the crown prince, for all I care, then marry William and only then would I, if I were a British tax payer, want to see some sort of justification in the form of the public service duties Espeth is talking about. Right now, she's a private person and nothing more, so we need to adapt the 'live and let live' stance there.

All the same, even though it couldn't be less of my business, I'd for one love to see a Kate who, instead of being snapped idling away in sun dresses keeping an eye on her coveted boyfriend, would put in time harvesting organic tomatoes or herding sheep on her father-in-law-to-be's environmentally responsible farm, but I guess that's just me. ;)

princess olga said:
All the same, even though it couldn't be less of my business, I'd for one love to see a Kate who, instead of being snapped idling away in sun dresses keeping an eye on her coveted boyfriend, would put in time harvesting organic tomatoes or herding sheep on her father-in-law-to-be's environmentally responsible farm, but I guess that's just me. ;)

LOL! Nice idea. But - could she actually do that without announcing that way that she is the next duchess of Cornwall? I doubt it. :)

Jo of Palatine said:
LOL! Nice idea. But - could she actually do that without announcing that way that she is the next duchess of Cornwall? I doubt it. :)

It is a great idea, but I agree it would be hard for her to start pottering about the veggie patch at Highgrove without attracting attention.:)

But Princess Olga's post has given me an idea. If William and Kate do have long-term plans - and even if they don't - it wouldn't be a bad idea if she became involved in some sort of organic growing or environmental project of the sort that she could continue if she did marry William. She has a brain and an education and could put it to use in organising some worthy project which would keep her occupied and allow her to be seen doing something constructive.

Now all she has to do is ask me for my advice :D

Roslyn said:
It is a great idea, but I agree it would be hard for her to start pottering about the veggie patch at Highgrove without attracting attention.:)

Now all she has to do is ask me for my advice :D

Roslyn,
We need to make sure Kate Middleton gets your phone number. She really needs good advice and it appears that you have lots to give. LOL!

I love the "pottering about the veggie patch at Highgrove" comment. LOL!

Laraib said:
No one says british public aren't suppose to express their opinons but many have suggested that they shouldn't expect anything from her.

Like princess olga said, if they become official, then the expectations will start because Wills will have declared his intentions to the world that this is the woman he wants to share his life and royal responsibilities with.

Right now, all we can see is that he likes her very very much. That's different than an opinion. My own opinion about Kate is she seems uncomfortable with the press attention and that could make a longterm relationship and possibly marriage a bit problematic.

But that's not the same as expecting her to suddenly get comfortable with the press. William has a long history of being uncomfortable with press attention so I think he's unlikely to date someone that's naturally comfortable with it.

With William being royal, there are expectations for him already and one is going to be that he comes to terms with the public nature of his role and that he choose as his wife someone who can come to terms with it also. Its unfair, he's not that much older than Kate and he didn't ask to be royal but he is and so therefore he has expectations to fulfill.

Right now any scenario is possible. Kate may never adjust which means I hope William does break it off with her, or Kate may adjust along with William and they decide they can make a go of it. Or Kate may adjust with William still not adjusting and that would be a very unusual situation-he could lean on her as his anchor or he could be offput by her newfound comfort with the press and still break it off.

princess olga said:

Somehow I don't think we'll be seeing that. :D Wills is not that crazy about some of his dad's far-out ideas is he?

Kate the organic shepherdess

princess olga said:
...I'd for one love to see a Kate who, instead of being snapped idling away in sun dresses keeping an eye on her coveted boyfriend, would put in time harvesting organic tomatoes or herding sheep on her father-in-law-to-be's environmentally responsible farm, but I guess that's just me. ;)
Then she'd be accused of toadying up to Charles or indulging in yet another photo-op. Smiling or scowling, there's sure to be a negative comment or three. :D

As to Kate "idling away in sun dresses", would a twin-set and pearls have been more appropriate? :)

"[Ysbel] Like princess olga said, if they become official, then the expectations will start because Wills will have declared his intentions to the world that this is the woman he wants to share his life and royal responsibilities with."

I also agree with Princess Olga that once they become "official" then the public's and the BRF's expectations of Kate will be known.

"[Ysbel] Right now, all we can see is that he likes her very very much. That's different than an opinion. My own opinion about Kate is she seems uncomfortable with the press attention and that could make a longterm relationship and possibly marriage a bit problematic. "

Ysbel, this is my point exactly. All we know is that William likes Kate very, very much. I wish we knew more, but we just don't.

I also see (in behavior observed in photos) what you mean about Kate being uncomfortable with the press attention she's receiving right now.

"[Ysbel] Right now any scenario is possible. Kate may never adjust which means I hope William does break it off with her, or Kate may adjust along with William and they decide they can make a go of it. Or Kate may adjust with William still not adjusting and that would be a very unusual situation-he could lean on her as his anchor or he could be offput by her newfound comfort with the press and still break it off."

I love your possible scenarios between William and Kate, they sound reasonable and realistic.

I am so excited to see how the future of this realtionship unravels!

Last edited:
At this point, I don't think the public expects much out of Kate other than the status quo. When in public she handles herself very well, uses the utmost discretion (no one really knows what is going on in their relationship) and continue to support William privately.

IMO Kate does not need to justify herself to anyone other than her family, William and God. If they decide to get married, I am sure she knows that the deal and what is expected of her: perform public duties, continue to support William and the Crown and produce the required heir. Sure she might need some lessons from the "grey men" but after what Diana, Sophie, Sarah and Camilla went through...if she doesn't get..she would have to be living on a small island in the Pacific with no access to television, a newspaper or the internet!

Zonk1189 said:
Sure she might need some lessons from the "grey men" but after what Diana, Sophie, Sarah and Camilla went through...if she doesn't get..she would have to be living on a small island in the Pacific with no access to television, a newspaper or the internet!
And if she ever needed independent opinions about something she could always sign up here under the name of ,let's say, "Camilla's-in-law" and simply ask us what we think.... ;) She surely would get quite some interesting opinions and most of them helpful.

Eg the question of what to do now:
I, being a writer myself, would say she should declare she is writing a biography about a famous artist. If she chose some Italien like da Vinci, she could even travel to Italy and France to do research without raising eyebrows in the UK. And there's be lots of journalists who would actually write the book for her if she payed for it.

What would you recommend? ;)

I would probably recommend interning at an art gallery under an assumed name. But definitely not in England. She is well know.

Caroline Kennedy did it when graduated college but that was like 20 years ago and we so live in a different world :(

I personally don't expect anything of Kate as William's girlfriend but the public might expect her to follow under Diana's foots, which some of the media is already comparing. Very unfair I believe though.

I would probably recommend interning at an art gallery under an assumed name. But definitely not in England. She is well know.
I agree an art gallery job would be great. Then she'd get to use her degree :) if she did it in England the paps would go crazy, and she'd be getting work experience out of it, kind of killing two birds with one stone ey?

JOY! said:
I agree an art gallery job would be great. Then she'd get to use her degree :) if she did it in England the paps would go crazy, and she'd be getting work experience out of it, kind of killing two birds with one stone ey?

I think she could work in an art gallery in England, but probably best not to take a job that involves mixing with the public:p .

Since she has a degree in the subject here are probably a number of fields open to her in the art world. I don't know what subjects her degree covered, but maybe she is qualified to get into art restoration. I think those people beaver away for hours in private rooms where the press couldn't get to her. Yesterday I saw an interesting docco about a Danish art expert who had used modern techniques to prove two little paintings were Rembrandts, and to prove another one wasn't. There's probably hands-on arty stuff as well as work associated with management of collections.

Or, as Jo of Palatine suggested, she could undertake research for a book, or maybe research for a forthcoming collection, or about past collections. This sort of thing would let her get out of those back rooms and holiday in sunny places. :)

She'd need specialist training for art restoration. But working at a gallery or a major auction house or museum should be possible. Maybe Lady Helen Taylor could find work for her in a gallery somewhere.

I believe she is working at her parents' business, out of the way of the camera lenses and learning and planning a children's offshoot of that business. That is the most hassle free, careful thing she could pursue without causing press attention or scandal. This girl is handling herself very well.

She was going to work at an art gallery when she first graduated, if I recall. There were pictures of her interviewing places, but there was too much press attention for her to take a job at any of those places.

Chiyo said:
She was going to work at an art gallery when she first graduated, if I recall. There were pictures of her interviewing places, but there was too much press attention for her to take a job at any of those places.

Well there's the problem in a nutshell.

No expectations. She should have fun and enjoy her boyfriend--like anyone else. She is not engaged yet. Let her be happy and enjoy her time with William.

I find myself in the middle of both ideas. I wish Kate would do something with her time but that's for two reasons neither of which is me saying that the public has the right to dictate Kate's life to her.

But I do think that she should start doing something because if she doesn't marry him and decides to have a career, she's got a big gap on her resume to explain what she had been doing with her time. For herself not for her public image I think she should at the very least work part time at a gallery- maybe Laura (Camilla's daughter) can put in a good word for her ;)

If she marries him, I would like to have seen a sign that she is inclined to work and is not as lazy as Camilla whose advice I rather suspect she is taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom