The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laviollette said:
They're spinning alright, trying to explain why Kate doesn't have a job. Imho, camp Middleton are also spinning the fact that William has not proposed to her, which she has clearly been waiting for, what with putting her life on hold for 17 months and all. Someone's leaking to the media that she really doesn't want to get married right now, that she would be pressured to have children right away like CP Mary and CP Mette Marit, who in fact did not get pregnant right away. There is no wedding in the near future so Miss Middleton should find something to do.

I bet she is doing something. No one really knew what Mary Donaldson was up to in the pre-engagement years. Then after the announcement there was an explosion of information all about the future Queen of Denmark. I guess the Palace has their ways of protecting these things until such time as they are ready to reveal it. We underestimate the Palace. With the right persuasions and negociations, they can keep the press quiet on some matters. Who knows, maybe they cut a deal: Keep quiet on her job and we'll give you a big surprise...like....we're not saying it, but like a an annoucement of some kind, and you'll have front row seats...hmm...:rolleyes: Also, look how well William concealed his romantic relationships of past. The press didn't know, or release the knowledge, about Arabella until two years after the fact. And no one to this day knows the real story about Jecca. It's all "well, the prince allegedly pursued Miss Craig..." or "the prince was said to have a fling with Miss Craig..." or "he was said to invite Miss Craig to Highgrove..." It's all just a hundred ways of saying they don't know what the heck is going on!

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
The fad at the moment in the UK is to take psychology, social studies and the like, which, even by the uni's, are considered to be the easy option.
These are just a few of the articles raising the same point.
http://www.melaniephillips.com/articles-new/?p=355
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/879953.stm
http://education.guardian.co.uk/students/story/0,9860,546139,00.html
Weird. I never thought of psychology as an "easy option"
degree. I think some incoming lower level university students choose it hoping it will be easier than the pre-med course, but they tend to realize quickly that psychology is not a joke at all.
All fields of study are worthy in their own ways. As I said, I don't knock art history. That would be silly, or stupid, for a future historian to do, wouldn't it?
;)
But I still feel that some fields and expertise tend to be a dime a dozen. Look how many history majors there are at every university, at least in the US, it is unreal. And then look at how many physics majors drop out in the first year.

but they tend to realize quickly that psychology is not a joke at all.

Especially since it's someone's mental and emotional health at stake. I doubt any student wants to live with the thought of screwing up someone's sanity because they goofed off in psyche class. Not to mention they learn about serial killers and how their brains function. I believe that law enforcement officers rely on these people (professional psychiatrists) to help them figure out the minds and also the resultant methodology of the killer that helps them profile and eventually capture the killer.

I can't begin to imagine the weight of the situation for Kate, and nor would I wish too.

Whatever she chooses to do, I wish her all the best and if she does become HRH Princess William then I will be pleased for them both :flowers:

Tzu An said:
Especially since it's someone's mental and emotional health at stake. I doubt any student wants to live with the thought of screwing up someone's sanity because they goofed off in psyche class. Not to mention they learn about serial killers and how their brains function. I believe that law enforcement officers rely on these people (professional psychiatrists) to help them figure out the minds and also the resultant methodology of the killer that helps them profile and eventually capture the killer.

I've noticed some posters seem to be speaking of psychologists and psychiatrists as though they are the same critter. I wonder if this is due to some difference between our education systems.

Laviollette said:
There's nothing wrong with an Art History degree. There is something wrong with wasting that degree by not getting up off your tush and finding a job but instead shopping it away like Kate Middleton.

I'm of the view that no degree is wasted. I believe in education for the sake of education. A degree not only provides knowledge, but it trains the mind to think and process information in an ordered fashion, and to form opinions and express them clearly and logically.

An Art History degree will have provided Kate with a wealth of information about history and geography and information storage and retrieval and business management. And for a well brought up gel like Kate who just may find herself married to a prince :rolleyes: or someone who moves in such circles, the degree will have equipped her with lots of knowledge that will be very useful for conversation with the scores of foreign heads of state and others she is likely to find herself sitting next to at dinner tables over the years.

Roslyn said:
And for a well brought up gel like Kate who just may find herself married to a prince :rolleyes: or someone who moves in such circles, the degree will have equipped her with lots of knowledge that will be very useful for conversation with the scores of foreign heads of state and others she is likely to find herself sitting next to at dinner tables over the years.
I have always believed that people have a very great tendency to mistake a 'superior education' for a 'superior intellect'. :bang:

It's not the degree that counts ..... it's what you do with it. If it's sole purpose is as another rung on the ladder of sucess to her ambition of becoming 'Princess' it was indeed an unworthy pursuit. If however it gains her the superficial aura of intelligence and charm then shame on us for being suckered.:rolleyes:

If you don't have to work (and Lord know I would love to be in that position) I would still have to do something! I have heaps of things I could do just because I could, I had the time and others don't. Advanced shopping 101 doesn't cut it.:ermm:

Just being cute/adorable and making William happy reminds me of another woman who 'would be Princess' (not to mention Queen).:ohmy:

The jury is still out.:unsure:

MARG said:
I have always believed that people have a very great tendency to mistake a 'superior education' for a 'superior intellect'. :bang:

Amen to that!:flowers:
If you don't have to work (and Lord know I would love to be in that position) I would still have to do something! I have heaps of things I could do just because I could, I had the time and others don't. Advanced shopping 101 doesn't cut it.:ermm:

That is the problem, everyone seems to believe that if you don't go out to work, you don't do anything! In the majority of cases, this is simply not true!:bang:

The poor girl has been photographed a dozen (if that) times shopping and at a few polo matches, that's all and some people are using these few occasions to condemn her. How many times do any of you shop on a day off or in your lunch break. How many of you work at the weekend and get a day off in the week, instead?
As I said in a previous post, she may have her own business (no the press would not necessarily have the name of the company or the details).

We don't know what she does and to hang, draw and quarter her on the evidence we have so far is wrong, to say the least!:mad:

Roslyn said:
I've noticed some posters seem to be speaking of psychologists and psychiatrists as though they are the same critter. I wonder if this is due to some difference between our education systems.

I was also wondering if it is because we are talking of two different education systems. It is accepted here that degrees in some subjects are not as 'demanding' as others and even some unis do not carry the same prestige.

I would add that in the UK, it is unusual to go to see a psychologist or psychiatrist without a referral from a GP and as such is not, IMO, thought of in the same high esteem, that they seem to be thought of in the USA.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't want Wills to marry anyone right now. He has much to learn about being a King. Although no one is promised tomorrow, he shouldn't be pressured to marry. Also, why would he ask someone to marry him when everyone is looking into his business? Another thing, if this girl's family is rich, then there is no need for her to work if she is being supported.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I bet she is doing something. No one really knew what Mary Donaldson was up to in the pre-engagement years...... We underestimate the Palace. With the right persuasions and negociations, they can keep the press quiet on some matters. .... Also, look how well William concealed his romantic relationships of past. The press didn't know, or release the knowledge, about Arabella until two years after the fact. And no one to this day knows the real story about Jecca. It's all "well, the prince allegedly pursued Miss Craig..." or "the prince was said to have a fling with Miss Craig..." or "he was said to invite Miss Craig to Highgrove..." It's all just a hundred ways of saying they don't know what the heck is going on!

Brilliant. :clap: If the girl was out partying 24/7, photographed Binge drinking, coming out of various men's flats in the early hours, then I could almost understand why so many on here hate this girl.

Everything you do know is based on rumour and speculation and a few photo's!:bang:

The apologists for Kate's lack of work keep trying to convince us that indeed Kate does have a secret job or that she is doing something, secretly. Well what if it is in fact true that she is not doing anything except for what it appears she is doing, nothing? Then what would you have to say?:brows:

And I certainly agree that a superior education doesn't always mean superior intelligence much less inspire a work ethic or prepare one for the job of princess or queen. We see examples of this everyday.

But do you have an example of a story that says that?
The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Times all have stories that have carried the "spokesperson" tag. I've got hard copies but I'll try and find an online copy.

Laviollette said:
The apologists for Kate's lack of work keep trying to convince us that indeed Kate does have a secret job or that she is doing something, secretly. Well what if it is in fact true that she is not doing anything except for what it appears she is doing, nothing? Then what would you have to say?:brows:

I'd say, "Lucky girl!" :)

Laviollette said:

I wouldn't call myself an apologist at all and I am reasonably sure nobody else who defends Catherine from some of the nasty comments on here would either. Some people prefer to be fair and give her the benefit of the doubt.

So lets at least try to stick to the facts as we know them, it is an alleged lack of work.

If in fact she does not have a company or is not in paid employment, good luck to her. Most young men and women would say, it must be wonderful for her to be able to do her own thing without the worry of where the next dime is coming from!:whistling

It is clear from your posts that you have to work and it is great that you have a job, if you need one. There are, however, many people that do not have to go out to work to earn enough to live. Most of them are so busy, they wonder how anyone finds the time to hold down a job! :lol:

Unless you have lived the life for yourself, it is best not to be too judgemental, otherwise people might think it is a major attack of the green eyed monster!

Laviollette said:
She must be on vacation, again, from her secret employment.;)

I wonder where the 'all knowing' media were, don't some people keep telling us that if she did anything, "the press would know".:ermm:

I think it's wonderful that she was able to take a break from her busy schedule (which may or may not include working) to spend time with some friends, just like any ordinary girl! :lol:

Busy schedule? Then again, I suppose all that sulking and shopping really would tire the poor girl out.

Skydragon said:
I wonder where the 'all knowing' media were, don't some people keep telling us that if she did anything, "the press would know".:ermm:

I think it's wonderful that she was able to take a break from her busy schedule (which may or may not include working) to spend time with some friends, just like any ordinary girl! :lol:
I don't think the press knows everything she does and when she does it. But I do think they know that currently, she does not have a job. There is no way around it.

Laviollette said:
I don't think the press knows everything she does and when she does it. But I do think they know that currently, she does not have a job. There is no way around it.

They are the first to say, that they don't actually know anything.

Nobody knows for a fact, whether she is employed or not, except Catherine, her family, William and his family. So unless you are privy to information that no one else has (in which case I'd advise you to contact Max Clifford), you should stop stating she does not work!

Well if she doesn't work, what does she do?

Laviollette said:
As long as miss princess-in-waiting never becomes the actual princess, more power to her.:clap:

Why is it so important to you whether Catherine is in employment or not? She hasn't spent any of your money getting an education, you are not paying to feed and clothe her.

I don't believe anyone needs to be in employment or have been in employment, to make them a nice person. If she is a nice person, will it make any difference whether she worked in woolworth or walmart? Will it make her a nicer person if she works at Sotherbys or Christies (where she might only meet the elite clientelle)? Will it make her nice if she works in an office, a cafe, a bar, an old peoples home?

No, of course not. She has friends that seem loyal and discreet, she has a family that seem discreet, loyal and loving, she has a boyfriend and his family that seem supportive.

Her only crime, to some, seems to be that they don't know what she does with her time and because they can't find out and nobody will tell them, they have decided to assassinate this young womans character. Reading some of the comments put on this board about Catherine, I have to wonder how 'nice' they are, the mind boggles!

Last edited:
I'll be totally frank, I don't like William and I never will. Who he courts is of no interest to me BUT his future wife will be my future Queen whether I like it or not so I do think I have the right to criticise any future contender for the position. I don't like Kate, maybe thats because I don't like William and it's a connotation thing but if he does marry her, she better pull her socks up and actually do something or come William V's reign, I shall be a Republican.

Skydragon said:
They are the first to say, that they don't actually know anything.

Nobody knows for a fact, whether she is employed or not, except Catherine, her family, William and his family. So unless you are privy to information that no one else has (in which case I'd advise you to contact Max Clifford), you should stop stating she does not work!

No offense, but practically nothing that we know about these people is set in stone. This board is an opportunity for people to speculate on what they're doing with a few facts thrown in here and there. If we discussed only what we are sure is fact, there would be about 5 posts on this thread. Some people do operate under the philosophy that unless they see solid proof that Kate is working then she isn't. Others say that unless they see solid proof that Kate isn't working then she must be. There is nothing wrong with either of these thoughts and people shouldn't be bashed for holding either of these opinions. It's all about how you analyze the situation. Facts are for the newspapers. Message boards are about opinions. That's what gives them their character;)

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I wouldn't call myself an apologist at all and I am reasonably sure nobody else who defends Catherine from some of the nasty comments on here would either. Some people prefer to be fair and give her the benefit of the doubt.

So lets at least try to stick to the facts as we know them, it is an alleged lack of work.

If in fact she does not have a company or is not in paid employment, good luck to her. Most young men and women would say, it must be wonderful for her to be able to do her own thing without the worry of where the next dime is coming from!:whistling

It is clear from your posts that you have to work and it is great that you have a job, if you need one. There are, however, many people that do not have to go out to work to earn enough to live. Most of them are so busy, they wonder how anyone finds the time to hold down a job! :lol:

Unless you have lived the life for yourself, it is best not to be too judgemental, otherwise people might think it is a major attack of the green eyed monster!
So you are admitting that Kate does not have a job and has not done much in the 17 months since she graduated from university? If she does not want to work and does not have to work, that is fine. However, if she is being pushed on the public as PW's future wife and princess, anyone who wants can make a judgment on what she has done with her life up until that point.

The BRF and the British press love to tick off a list of suitable brides but so far the ones who looked good on paper didn't stand up in real life. They are all about virgins, no Koo's and no Catholics but where has it gotten them? In serious disrepute. Kate looks good on paper, she's English, she's protestant, she's not a footballer's wife. But already what looks good on paper is starting to look wrinkled in real life.

BeatrixFan said:
I'll be totally frank, I don't like William and I never will. Who he courts is of no interest to me BUT his future wife will be my future Queen whether I like it or not so I do think I have the right to criticise any future contender for the position. I don't like Kate, maybe thats because I don't like William and it's a connotation thing but if he does marry her, she better pull her socks up and actually do something or come William V's reign, I shall be a Republican.

But, until the day she does marry William, she should be allowed to get on with her life, doing what she wants. The moment any ring is on her finger that is the end of life as she knows it and even I will expect her to be seen doing some charity work.

Camilla wasn't 'seen' working for long and look what a wonderful princess she is!

I agree with neners (well, except the bit that facts are for newspapers - I know a couple of them, that don't even know the word 'fact').
Everyone has his/her own point of view.
Personally I think that we have no idea what Kate does in her free time (and I admire her for that). I study and work but you can see me shopping twice as much as Kate does (at least is seen).

Ah but there's a difference. There's nothing there for Kate. She gives nothing out, no personality, no flair, she sulks, she's boring and she's painfully dull. All I see her do is shop and sulk and okay so that's not all she does - but if it's not all she does, why don't we see her doing anything else?! Why can't we see her cycling or swimming or writing an article or painting a picture or something productive. I've nothing against the idle rich, I was a member for a while, but even then I actually did things. Kate doesn't seem to do anything. She doesn't have to do charity work but give us an interest.

Camilla may not have been seen working but we knew about her. We knew she was a hard worker for causes she'd taken upon herself. We knew that she went to country fetes and we knew that she cooked and we knew that she generally lived. If Kate wants be unemployed, fine but she should be doing something to make her a little more interesting.

well maybe....but id rather like to see them get married sooner rather later They just seem so right for each I Dont want em to miss the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom