The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sister Morphine said:
There is absolutely no shame nor should there be, attached to having the money to not have to work. There just isn't. Being able to hold down a job isn't some affirmation that you're a good person or a worthy person. If Kate is financially well-off enough to never see a cubicle, then good for her. She's luckier than most. It doesn't make her snobbish, arrogant, entitled or any other denegrating phrase that can be conjured up.
You are 100% right, just because someone works, it does not make them good or worthy!
Luv2Cruise said:
If I ever hit that lotto, we're quitting our jobs and going shopping with Kate!!! :lol:
I will cross my fingers for you. :lol:

the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it...those of us that work wish we didn't have to and the ones that are fortunate enough not to have are viewed as lazy and ungrateful. it's a no win situation. i agree it's envy.

For all anyone knows it may have been decided/recommended/suggested by royal advisors that Kate not have an everyday job because of possible conflicts that might arise later if or when she marries Prince William.

There were come complaints about Sophie using her royal connects to improve her business interests.

Just my thoughts

I'm not jealous of Kate. I just think she's lazy and lacks motivation but William is free to marry her if he chooses and I maintain that it is his choice and when all is said and done, he could very well choose not to marry her. But the press seems to be pressuring him to marry Kate in much the same way Charles was pressured to marry Diana. We'll see.

The issue here is the fact that Kate went to college like everyone else did, the logical thing would be after college, you find a job and start to work isn't?
I do not judge her because she's not engaged yet, right now she's free to do whatever she wants to do. For some people she looks boring, because she's not trying to get the media frenzy or because she's not calling the press to give details about her relationship with William.
They still young to think about marriage, maybe they will have a long courtship (like happened with his uncle and aunt, the Count and Countess of Wessex)
As long he's in love and he's marrying for the right reasons and not to use Kate as a resource to preserve the crown (I mean only to have children) it's ok.

bebajp said:
The issue here is the fact that Kate went to college like everyone else did, the logical thing would be after college, you find a job and start to work isn't?
I do not judge her because she's not engaged yet, right now she's free to do whatever she wants to do. For some people she looks boring, because she's not trying to get the media frenzy or because she's not calling the press to give details about her relationship with William.
They still young to think about marriage, maybe they will have a long courtship (like happened with his uncle and aunt, the Count and Countess of Wessex)
As long he's in love and he's marrying for the right reasons and not to use Kate as a resource to preserve the crown (I mean only to have children) it's ok.

Just a small correction - Prince Edward is the Earl of Wessex not the count.

bebajp said:

There are people who never have to work, so while they get the best education possible, afterwards they simply do what they want to do. And if this doesn't include working for a time, why care about that decision?

The woman studied for how many years? Surely she isn't (well she can if people wish to and of course they shall) being judged on her work ethic purely on the grounds of having taken leave (for a period of time) of any further employment or study aspirations.

Her parents are self made millionaires and while I don't think that a very good excuse to refrain from pursuing anything, I can understand if there was no urgency in finding a job. If my parents were as wealthy (and I myself am born of a somewhat privileged family life) as hers, I know that neither my father or my mother would have hesitated in supporting me financially for the duration of my time away from external obligations. I was very fortunate in that I landed something as soon as I finsihed school but if I hadn't, there's no question my parents would have supported me much the same way I assume Catherine has been supported by hers.

And to be perfectly honest, I don't see anything wrong with that and who would I be to judge her even if I did?

Lets dock those majestic high horses, stash away the moral feed and look to the future.

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
... why care about that decision?
Because indulging in righteous indignation and moral superiority, with the added bonus of telling others how to live their lives, is wonderfully uplifting and feelgood? :D

Warren said:
Because indulging in righteous indignation and moral superiority, with the added bonus of telling others how to live their lives, is wonderfully uplifting and feelgood? :D

Well, to be honest, I personally find that behaviour rather depressing and negative.... In another thread on these forums a poster stated that a princess (Mary of Denmark) has lost the smile in her eyes after being married for some time and asked herself why? Idea was that it happened because she never really smiled from the heart and only just now she shows her true colours... And I thought spontaneously: no, because she's met by now too many of these jealous, negative and self-righteous people in reality and learned her lesson by now.... Just imagine you were Catherine and all these posters who don't like you would tell you that and why in a way that you noticed. Wouldn't you cease smiling at some point? I guess I would!

Jo of Palatine said:
Well, to be honest, I personally find that behaviour rather depressing and negative.... In another thread on these forums a poster stated that a princess (Mary of Denmark) has lost the smile in her eyes after being married for some time and asked herself why? Idea was that it happened because she never really smiled from the heart and only just now she shows her true colours... And I thought spontaneously: no, because she's met by now too many of these jealous, negative and self-righteous people in reality and learned her lesson by now.... Just imagine you were Catherine and all these posters who don't like you would tell you that and why in a way that you noticed. Wouldn't you cease smiling at some point? I guess I would!

Jo,

Warren was making a point about those of "us" who feel compulsed to inflict our moral objectives upon those we don't even know. He's not so much agreeing with it, rather his making note that it exists within this forum and very much within this thread (Please tell me if I am wrong Warren) :)

Madame Royale said:
Jo,

Warren was making a point about those of "us" who feel compulsed to inflict our moral objectives upon those we don't even know. He's not so much agreeing with it, rather his making note that it exists within this forum and very much within this thread (Please tell me if I am wrong Warren) :)

Oh, Madame Royale, I did understand Warren's irony (or is it already sarcasm?) :flowers: but slowly I get the feeling that for me the time for looking ironically at those of "us" who, well, you know what... is past. I find that more and more it saddens me to read posts where members are bragging about how they judge their books by the cover...

Jo of Palatine said:
I find that more and more it saddens me to read posts where members are bragging about how they judge their books by the cover...

I'm afraid some people feel compelled to do so, but, if we ever looked into their lives, I wonder just what we would find! :rolleyes:

Jo of Palatine said:
Oh, Madame Royale, I did understand Warren's irony (or is it already sarcasm?) :flowers: but slowly I get the feeling that for me the time for looking ironically at those of "us" who, well, you know what... is past. I find that more and more it saddens me to read posts where members are bragging about how they judge their books by the cover...

My apologies, Jo :flowers: I sympathise with what you're saying.

Expectations

I have been reading this thread for a while and have been meaning to comment for quite some time now. I have an idea of what the girlfriend to the future King is, as most everyone in here does, and my ideas and expectation have little to do with Kate Middleton and more with a general idea of what a "royal girlfriend" should be like. While I am sure that there are those who would disagree with me, I would like to briefly share my thoughts with all of you.

There has been quite a lot of discussion about Kate's past lack of employment and whether or not this is important. Without discussing Kate specifically, because I do not know her, I would like to discuss first why I think it is important for the girlfriend of a prince, and future heir, to have employment. There are many things to be gained from employment, not just finances. There is the responsibility that comes with employment. You learn the value of working with others, as well as gaining a sense of professionsalism. Being a princess/queen consort is not a fairy tale, it is a job for life. Without some past employment experience, how can a young person be expected to know how to take on this extreme responsibility with professionalism and a sense of duty? Additionally, a young woman with a job has one thing more, independence. She is self sufficient and self reliant, two virtues that anyone would be hard pressed to argue are over rated or unnecessary. If this young lady comes from a family of means, as Kate does, supporting herself is a sure fire way to demonstrate that she is not keen to coat tail ride on the good fortune of others. For example, Princess Grace, whom I admire greatly. She was a very independent woman at a time in history when those were a rare breed. She had her own apartment, a career, and was even able to pay her own dowary, although I am not sure if she did in the end or not. The point is that in the 1950s, Grace Kelly had enough of her own money to afford a $2 million dowary, no small sum at the time. Her career, her own money, this all gave her the much needed bricks upon which to build her future as HSH. Employment, and living independently, would also help her to have a look into the lives of "regular" people. How can someone possibly know the challenges faced by those less fortunate in life if they have never been faced with financial challenges of their own. Budgeting, paying bills, saving for the future, these are all things that as a teenager living in the safety and comfort of my parents' home I did not fully understand. Now, as a young woman barely making it through the month, I know. If someone is going to be in a possition of influence, they should have a full understanding of the issues of the day, both of the people like themselves and those most unlike themselves.

My ideal "royal girlfriend" would also have some experience with volunteering and charitable works. I believe this is important because, as a royal, her job would be 99.9% meeting people, spending time doing chartity work and putting duty before self, and there is no better way to learn this
than through charitable works.

The third and final element I believe is important, is that she must have interests outside of her boyfriend's life. Ideally, her interests should be varied, including sports, arts, scholarship, etc. Her job as a royal would mean spending time with a varity of people, in a variety of atmospheres, and if she has interests in many things, this would make many tiresome events, less so. It would also provide her with the practice of making small talk with diverse groups of people. Now, this is where I get a little feminist and I may offend some, as a young woman living in the 21st, I frankly find it pathetic when other young woman my age have no life outside of their relationships and when they completely give up their own personalities in favour of being "someone's girlfriend".

It is hard to make an accurate assumption of whether I think Kate is meeting these items I feel strongly about. We know so little of her life. However, what I have seen has left me less than impressed. But, I am refraining from judging too critically because, as I said, I do not know her and we have seen so little of who she is. I can only hope that, if she is the one to become more than William's girlfriend, she does embody these qualitfication, as nothing would make me happer than to see a strong, intelligent, independent and compassionate woman become our next queen consort.

Sorry if this is long winded or rambling, but it is late and I wanted to get it all out at once.

Principessa Cano said:
There is the responsibility that comes with employment. You learn the value of working with others, as well as gaining a sense of professionsalism. Being a princess/queen consort is not a fairy tale, it is a job for life. Without some past employment experience, how can a young person be expected to know how to take on this extreme responsibility with professionalism and a sense of duty? Additionally, a young woman with a job has one thing more, independence. She is self sufficient and self reliant, two virtues that anyone would be hard pressed to argue are over rated or unnecessary
Not everyone who is employed works comfortably with others, some buldoze and bully, not all who work are self reliant or self sufficient. To learn any sense of professionalism takes years, some never learn it. Self confidence is inbuilt and added to by a supportive family.

I still fail to see how working in an office or shop would give anyone any idea of a sense of duty. People are rarely in a job for life, most flit from job to job, seeking higher pay, better conditions. We have all met the nasty shop assistant, unhelpful clerk, the jobsworth, are they, responsible, professional people, are they because they have been employed 'princess' material?
If this young lady comes from a family of means, as Kate does, supporting herself is a sure fire way to demonstrate that she is not keen to coat tail ride on the good fortune of others.... Employment, and living independently, would also help her to have a look into the lives of "regular" people. How can someone possibly know the challenges faced by those less fortunate in life if they have never been faced with financial challenges of their own....
Parents are there to support their children in any way possible and as long as they are happy with how Catherine is living, then good luck to them. IMO, it is impossible to 'look into the lives of 'regular' people', who are regular people, are they the wealthy, how about the lower middle class, the upper lower, the lower, the homeless etc. Unless you live a situation, you cannot understand it. Those with money will never have to worry about financial challenges as such, so how can they gain any insight? That is as bad as the people hearing you have suffered a bereavement coming up to you and saying 'I know exactly how you feel', well no they don't, unless they have gone through the very same thing! It is insulting to imagine that anyone could understand the challenges others have gone through, if they havn't gone through them. I have read about homeless families, but I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like!
My ideal "royal girlfriend" would also have some experience with volunteering and charitable works. I believe this is important because, as a royal, her job would be 99.9% meeting people,
All things she would learn as it happens, being a patron has no relation to going out selling flags!
she must have interests outside of her boyfriend's life. Ideally, her interests should be varied, including sports, arts, scholarship, etc. Her job as a royal would mean spending time with a varity of people, in a variety of atmospheres, and if she has interests in many things, this would make many tiresome events, less so.
I should imagine that most of the royals, before going to events, read up on the subject, unless it something very dear to their heart and they have gone through it, but, if she has her own interests, I suppose while listening to the tiresome parade of 'regular people', she would be able to imagine herself off skiing! :lol:

Welcome to the forums, Principessa Cano, from your avatar, it looks like you are a big fan of the Monagasque princely family.

Grace Kelly was one of my favorite princesses too and I hope you don't mind if I clear up some misconceptions. I think your post didn't completely explain the details of Grace's life before she married Rainier, details which might explain why she was such a successful Princess of Monaco. Details, which because they belonged to the studio system of the 40s and 50s, are not available to Kate Middleton or any other budding princess of today.

Grace Kelly found her way into the star system at the movie studios very early in her career and so for the most part of her career her every need and career move was plotted out by the studio.

The studios taught her how to walk and talk; dictated the movies that she would act in, managed her public relations, shielded her from any unseemly publicity, and basically told her what she could and could not do on and off the set.

Living in the studio system was tightly structured and highly sheltered, It was only after Grace left the business that the studio system fell apart when many of her fellow actors and actresses found themselves in trouble. For the first time, they had to actually go out and audition for parts and campaign a director to get them in a picture but the studio system didn't prepare them for actually going out and finding work. And so a lot of the old studio system talents failed and got into drugs, etc.

Also during the height of Grace's very structured career, she would not have had opportunity to come into contact with a lot of 'regular' people. I'm sure she worked iwth makeup people and studio hands who didn't draw million dollar salaries but I'm not sure how much Grace interacted with them. As far as opportunities to have banter with the shop assistant or store clerk, I think the crazy shooting and rehearsing schedule that Grace and the other actors went through meant that assistants did most of the interacting with 'regular people' for them except for specially choreographed studio publicity events.

Grace may have had the opportunity to flirt with the bag boy at the local grocery store when she was a teenager but even her childhood wasn't that regular middle class (in fact it was a lot like Kate's) Her father was a self-made millionaire and there were some famous athletes in the family. Grace went to the most exclusive schools before she went into show business. (again a lot like Kate)

Yet for all its failings, I believe the studio system was the perfect preparation for the highly rigid and often arcane lifestyle of the Monagasque princely family that Grace would marry into. The studio system was rigid, it plotted out every important move Grace made, and controlled her and her public persona like she was their property, and basically she was. It wasn't a system for fostering independence in a young impressionable woman but it was good for teaching an enigmatic talent like Grace how to fit into a system that was bigger than herself and make it work. In short, I think it taught Grace how to follow direction no matter how crazy it sounds and keep smiling while doing it, very important skills for a royal.

But unfortunately, there is nothing like the studio system these days that Kate or any other princess can go into for princess training.

Besides I hope Kate is more independent than that. So far it looks like she is at least independent of the press. She's really not playing up to them which is refreshing. If she really dislikes the press, that's a problem because marrying William she's going to be around them a lot.

As far as her independence of mind, you're right, we can't know that. Right now, I'd say she looks self-assured and confident but we really won't know for sure until we see more of her.

I think it's interesting that we have a comparison between the studio system of Hollywood and the Royal Family. I think it's spot on. Both are institutions that have to show their "members" in a certain way and in turn, the members have to conduct themselves and live their lives in that way to continue to be eligible for help from the "firm". Brilliant comparison IMO.

BeatrixFan said:
I think it's interesting that we have a comparison between the studio system of Hollywood and the Royal Family. I think it's spot on. Both are institutions that have to show their "members" in a certain way and in turn, the members have to conduct themselves and live their lives in that way to continue to be eligible for help from the "firm". Brilliant comparison IMO.

My sentiments exactly, Ysbel. Thank you :flowers:. But would the studio system still work today? Or did it need actors and actresses willing to accpet restrictions noone today is willing to accept? Or - coming back to Catherine Middleton: would she want to be a "real princess" or will she try (in case...) to bring her own individuality into the "job"? And which kind of personal stamp would that be?

Well, the studio system really controlled Hollywood so there wasn't any choice about it. You did what Warners or MGM told you to do or you were out. Much like the Royal Family. There is an element of conforming in both. One should have a little bit of a spark, an individual flair but overall, one has to conform the system and so I think that Kate Middleton has a very clear choice. She has to conform. We had about 15 years when members of the Royal Family tried new styles and tried to break the mould and instead of making the Royal Family look better, it made them look divided and on the edge of collapse. Any shift has to be done as a team and it's a team that can only be led by the Head of State. I think Kate has to accept that she's got to be a "real princess" and one that won't make any mistakes which is a very hard thing to accept when you've grown up in a society that tells you that being an individual is best.

Some great points being made here! I think on some level Kate understands that she has no choice but to conform. However, I think it will be on a much lesser basis than Diana or even Grace Kelly (great points raised with that comparison of Hollywood studio and the royal families btw). I think William has seen enough with his own parents situation, that it won't be as rigid as it was 25 years ago. That is good for Kate.

On the flip side, I think that no matter how much someone is told or warned about strict protocol and sacrificing independence for the good of "the firm" as someone called it, they never truely understand how much of themselves and their independence will be gone once they marry into a royal family.

I think Kate has done an okay job so far with dealing with things like the press and handling herself at royal functions, but it will not stay this easy. Once she says "I do" to William, its a totally different ball game. Its like a certain reality will set in, on a level they never would have anticipated.

Principessa Cano said:
I have been reading this thread for a while and have been meaning to comment for quite some time now. I have an idea of what the girlfriend to the future King is, as most everyone in here does, and my ideas and expectation have little to do with Kate Middleton and more with a general idea of what a "royal girlfriend" should be like. While I am sure that there are those who would disagree with me, I would like to briefly share my thoughts with all of you...
This is an excellent, excellent post. You've said everything I have been trying to convey here, with great frustration, over the last several months. Thank you and welcome.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:

Hi, BeatrixFan. So I see you and I are fascinated by the parallels between the studio system and royal families. I think what they have in common is the business of imagemaking. We don't often get an inside glimpse of the imagemaking of the royal family but there are enough books and interviews of old Hollywood stars who described the studio system well enough to give an idea of what it's like being a professional image.

Principessa Cano said:
Without some past employment experience, how can a young person be expected to know how to take on this extreme responsibility with professionalism and a sense of duty?

snip interesting post

My ideal "royal girlfriend" would also have some experience with volunteering and charitable works. I believe this is important because, as a royal, her job would be 99.9% meeting people, spending time doing chartity work and putting duty before self, and there is no better way to learn this
than through charitable works.

Hmmm..., for me a "royal duty" has not so much to do with actually work in the sense of getting up early, doing the household chores, get ready to go to your place of employment, work there, go shopping for food, return home doing the next round of housework... but the duty to put a higher aim before your own wishes and appetencies. Be it the well-being of the country or the well-being of the "Firm". This is something you can't learn. You are either born with the ability to put others (aims or people) first or you are not. You can learn the ropes, of course, but to really be compassionate about a "Royal duty" you need to be the right person. IMHO the Royal family has much more experience what is required of a young person being dated by a Royal when it comes to marriage then us. Let them decide!

And what is a "true princess" may I ask BeatrixFan ?

Laviollette said:
This is an excellent, excellent post. You've said everything I have been trying to convey here, with great frustration, over the last several months. Thank you and welcome.:flowers:

Why are you frustrated? Because you didn't manage to change other people's perception of Ms. Middleton? Why could this be a problem for you, so much a problem that it leads to frustrations? Sorry, but these forums are not the place to lead crusades against other people - I write crusades because when I read of frustrations for me this tells of pretty heavy emotional dissatisfaction of the outcome of a campaign - an emotional state of mind I relate to crusades. Just my opinion, of course.

For some people, royal duty does have something to do with actual work. While some don't think Kate's not working has any bearing on her eventual work ethic as a royal wife, some of us are offended by what we perceive as her lifestyle of holidaying leisure and shopping. Everyone is not going to have the same giddy opinion of this woman.

They call her stunning but she doesn't look it. They call her stylish but she doesn't look all that stylish either. There's nothing wrong with not being those things but I for one am tired of these off-the-mark descriptions of her along with "down to earth" and "middle class". Well she doesn't act like it.

Well..I guess that depends on your defiinition of middle class.

While I was raised totally middle class, to the British upper class system that she might potentially marry into...then she is definitely middle class. And how do you know that she is not down to earth...have you actually had a conversation with Kate?

I do agree with your view that the press is quick to put labels on "personalities." Kate the Stylish Princess to be, etc. In my view, she dresses nicely, conservative, and safe......definitely not a style maven...but thats just me. In regards to her being stunning...while that's definitely your opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think she is average...but as long as William thinks she looks fantastic...welll...that's all that really matters isn't it?

In regards to the work ethic (or Kate's lack of one because she is not working...didn't find work for some of her critic's)...sorry..I am still not buying it. Yes, being a royal is work...but there have been TONS of people, who haven't held down a full time job and worked hard in their royal lives. The Queen Mother, both Duchess's of Kent (Marina and Katharine), the Duchess of Gloucester (Alice), Diana (not even getting into the martial issues) and finally, Camilla. Recognizing that the Marina, Elizabeth, and Alice (even Camilla) came from a different time. These upper class women never truly worked (punching a clock per se...I am sure they will be the first to tell you that managing a home and raising children is hard work) a "day" in their life and while each had there own adjustments to make towards Royal life, they did a good job.

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
My sentiments exactly, Ysbel. Thank you :flowers:. But would the studio system still work today? Or did it need actors and actresses willing to accpet restrictions noone today is willing to accept? Or - coming back to Catherine Middleton: would she want to be a "real princess" or will she try (in case...) to bring her own individuality into the "job"? And which kind of personal stamp would that be?

That's a good question, Jo. I think most people forget that while the royal system (and the studio system) looks very arcane and old fashioned today, awhile back, more of the economy earlier was built around people sacrificing themselves for the good of the 'firm' whether the firm was a movie studio, royal family, industrial plant, or commercial business and the 'firm' turning around and taking care of their employees (and their families) for life. It wasn't that unusual when my parents first entered the workforce but no one does that any more and the first sign of the breakdown often enough was not unruly employees who desired more freedom but the company who basically started saying 'We're going to lay you off regardless of whether you've been a stellar employee for the last 20 years'. When people see enough of that happening, I think loyalty and self-sacrifice goes out the window.

I don't even think the British Royal Family can control things as tightly today as they did before. For one, the press is often antagonistic towards the royals so it makes it harder to control their public image. I think the best they can hope for is someone who is willing to give them some outward form of conformity in exchange for a greater deal of freedom privately.

If Kate is the one for William, she reminds me most of Princess Mary of Denmark. I can't tell if the two women are that similar but Kate has the look and feel of a totally normal middle class girl. Yes I know her parents are wealthy but she gives off the impression of a simple though strong-minded yet down-to-earth girl. This was the impression I got of the pre-marriage Mary.

At this point, its still a guessing game. I think Kate may be a girl for whom private principles are more important than her public life. I don't think she will totally re-invent herself to fit in with the Royal Family or conversely I don't think she will try to revolutionalize the monarchy but I do think she may have a good instinct for giving the royal family and the public what they want so she and William can keep what's important to them and build a life and a family together to their liking.

Then again, she may be like the Queen Mum and revolutionalize the monarchy by just being herself.

If Kate does marry into the family, I think she will just blend in. Of course, they thought the same with Diana and Sarah...but I think that life lessons have been learned by many. And hopefully, while its easier to say....she should know what she is marrying into...dating a royal and marrying one (and totally losing yourself somewhat into his family) is something else.

I think the best example, as least for the British royals is Sophie. Yes, she definitely had her issues when she first married into the family, but the working and Sheikh controversies aside...she spent enough time with the Royals compared to Diana and Sarah (as well as learning what not to do) that she fell in line with the system rather well IMO.

While Kate has definitely spent enough time with William and Harry, and it appears Charles and Camilla. She might need to spend a little (off the radar) time with the Queen (as well as the rest of the family) if she hasn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom