The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What should we expect, total discretion, silence and loyalty to William and his family, to me, she is meeting that criteria!

Emphatically agree.

Have a lovely Christmas, Skydragon and a good New Year to you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want a fairytale at all. I was a big fan of Kate's until this past summer and fall when my opinion of her started to change in a negative direction. I have, however, started to see a more gracious Kate while she's out and about these past few weeks. Maybe it's the new job. She neither poses for the cameras nor scowls. Maybe she's gotten the message that a simple, polite hello and goodbye to the paps who are no doubt hounding her is sufficient enough.

Roslyn said:
It worries me that some people seem to still want the fairytale. I had hoped that the public would have learnt from recent history, but maybe not.

I think Crown Princess Mary expressed this point perfectly, when asked about the whole 'fairytale connotation' during her engagemnt. I can't quote exact, but Mary did mention that if people wish to view it as a fairytale like situation then of course they are welcome to but to her, its something very real and very important. To her its not a fairytale, its reality :flowers:

i don't think catherine (or diana and sarah for that matter) views it as a fairytale. i think she knows it will be hard work (if they do marry). but really, don't we all go into marriage hoping for a bit of fairytale?? the only difference is those of us here that are married, aren't under the microscope.

Last edited:
Obviously Sarah didn't think it was hard work. She thought it was all parties, shopping and the good life. She couldn't be responsible and hold down the fort while Andrew was away in the navy. Both Kate and Chelsy seem to be about parties, shopping and fun. Kate in particular, at nearly age 25, has shown no interest in helping others. Do we really think she's going to become a caring and socially concious person if she marries William who himself has a shockingly lack royal duties? He's in the army but never misses the opportunity to play polo or go out boozing and bar hopping with his brother and girlfriend.
:)

Laviollette said:
Both Kate and Chelsy seem to be about parties, shopping and fun. Kate in particular, at nearly age 25, has shown no interest in helping others. Do we really think she's going to become a caring and socially concious person if she marries William who himself has a shockingly lack royal duties? He's in the army but never misses the opportunity to play polo or go out boozing and bar hopping with his brother and girlfriend.
:)

Do you know Kate personally to suggest that she has no interest in helping others? Or is it her lacking of patronages thus far which has you dismayed :ROFLMAO:

Chelsy is of no interest to me (so knock yourself out with her) but I can't see how you can judge Kate as socially cognisant when all you have to go by are photographs which (of course) are taken in a social setting as they gain more interest and money.

As for William, why should he miss an apportunity to play polo or go out clubbing with his girlfriend, friends and brother? So the guy likes to dance. Half her (Kates) luck in having 'found' a guy who can move his butt (god knows there are plenty of those lacking.lol.)

I definitly don't have an issue with your opinion, rather, would like to understand how you came to your decision that this young woman has no social understanding and, as you have suggested, never shall.

Last edited:
Kate is in a bit of limbo with her status as just a girlfriend. If she is engaged to William, then charities can invite her to be their patrons. As is right now, if she does start to support a charity, the organization will probably pressuer her to be in front of the cameras to highlight their work and/or bring in the money. It's just business. She will be accused of pandering to be the next People's Princess or such labels.

Then again, it's not like she is announcing her every move to the public. She may well have given donations to charities and doesn't want the publicity.

I get a lot of responses from my criticisms of Kate as if criticizing her is forbidden. It's not like many people do. Everyone laps up her positive press without asking questions of her or her actions and motivations. She did go without a job for a long time after graduating university but hardly anyone spoke up and said a word. Catherine the Great can do no wrong even when she's not doing anything else but waiting for William to propose, jet setting, vacationing or shopping instead of working or ... actually helping out her fellow human beings.

Laviollette said:
I get a lot of responses from my criticisms of Kate as if criticizing her is forbidden. It's not like many people do. Everyone laps up her positive press without asking questions of her or her actions and motivations. She did go without a job for a long time after graduating university but hardly anyone spoke up and said a word. Catherine the Great can do no wrong even when she's not doing anything else but waiting for William to propose, jet setting, vacationing or shopping instead of working or ... actually helping out her fellow human beings.

I'm glade you noted my response as just that :flowers:

But, don't you need to know (or at least understand) someones motives before you start questioning their purpose? I mean, how can you or I or anyone here possibly know?

Catherine The Great? Hardly, and I certainly don't expect so...next thing she will be placing William in custody and claiming the Crown for herself.lol. ;)

Last edited:
Lavio, as a writer, member, and webmaster of many royalty sites, I would have to disagree that no one said anything about her not having a job. In fact, that was a rather highly repeated complaint. :)

Like Madame (as I read her post), I don't have any objection to you critizing her but rather would like to know how you back up your assertion that she has shown no interest in helping others. Are you involved in her life to the point where you know what she expresses and what she does behind the scenes? Do you have some information the papers don't that gives you access to knowing what she does in all her spare time? Do you have access to her bank accounts so that you know where her money goes? (As an example, I have a friend who is a fashion model. All I ever see pictures of her doing is playing polo, shopping, at parties, travelling- the picture of her that is my icon next to my screename is a prime example. I know from knowing her that she does so many things- works with orphans, donates money, devotes several hours a week to hands-on help with disabled children- that no one ever sees her doing. She makes a personal choice to keep those things private. Kate could be doing the same, for all we know.)

To go along with my parenthetical example, think about how little time is reprsented in Kate's life by the pictures we see. We may see "a lot" of pictures of her, but that is virtually no time when you think that she lives just as much as the rest of us. :)

Again, I have no problems with people who dislike Kate. I choose not to follow her, except for in my daily work with the royalty sites I maintain. But I hold the personal opinion that assertions that she has not shown interest in a particular field cannot be backed up, at least that I have seen. :cool:

This same argument can be made about Chelsy Davy or anyone else that we don't know personally but yet most have decided that Ms. Davy is unsuitable for the BRF. I'm forming an opinion based on what I know. It's amazing that Kate doesn't hide her bar hopping with William but any charity work or just regular work has to be "hidden" and kept "private" so therefore any criticism of her not working or helping others is explained as well, we don't exactly know what she does because it is all just so private.

Frankly William can go out with whoever he chooses and whoever chooses him. It's not like the guy has the pick of the litter. He has actually been turned down by some pretty impressive ladies who didn't want to put up with either him or the baggage that comes with him. Kate obviously puts up with it. Good for them. I'm just not impressed.

we don't exactly know what she does because it is all just so private.

But if its all so private how is it that you have come to make the staunch assertion that Catherine Middleton has no social objective? This is what we are asking :)

'The' ring is not on her finger yet and until it is she remains a private citizen of the UK. Its that simple. Whether William's girlfriend or not she is answerable only to herself and if she chooses to go out with the royal entourage that is her business. The media make it 'their business' because they know that pictures of Kate and William leaving a nightclub at three in the morning looking less sprightly than when they went in would stir interest and criticism. In this respect, you are playing into their (the medias) hands.

(BTW: I'm not singling you out at all, just insterested in the conversation at hand ;))

Last edited:
It is my opinion of Kate just as it is my opinion of Chelsy, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson (of course BS & JS support certain charities but really, there's nothing going on up there between the eyes), Paris Hilton, etc., etc., etc. I don't know any of them personally but it is my opinion of them. I don't know how to make it more plain than that.:flowers:

Last edited:
I think the bottom line behind the current public behavior of Kate Middleton is this: she is either already engaged to William or hopes to be at some point.

She is being very careful not to put one foot wrong which could mar her chances of a Royal marriage. She knows that she is under intense scrutiny from the media and the public. Her life has been deliberately low-key so that she will court no controversy. Although she may be in limbo right now, I think this is the Kate we are going to see now, and probably in the future should she become Royal.

Like her or not, the public is going to have to just get used to her.She will not rock the boat;

Caroline Mathilda

HighGoalHighDreams and Madame Royale, you are joining Skydragon and Warren in my favorite posters Royal Forums club. There are others here as well, but those two immediately come to mind. That will be all. ;) Happy Holidays everyone!!

She really doesn't have to worry about putting a foot wrong. The press is not critical of her at all including her lack of work and the convenient new job at Jigsaw she's landed when a very little criticism started to be written about her not working. If she is in limbo it is because she chooses to be.

One area where she or the press doesn't have control is whether or not William marries her. Even if they are engaged already, which I doubt, it is still his decision when to marry and to whom. He may choose someone else after he's over her or he could meet someone else he wants to marry.

Laviollette said:
I don't know how to make it more plain than that.:flowers:

Well you can't, Laviollette ;) :)

Though those you choose to compare her with are quite an example of sorts.

HighGoalHighDreams and Madame Royale, you are joining Skydragon and Warren in my favorite posters Royal Forums club.

Well thank you Luv2Cruise. Thats very kind of you and a very nice Christmas to you also :flowers:

Last edited:
With all this extrapolation about what's expected of Miss Middleton, I thought I would put my two cents in:

I, for one, am very pro-Kate as she is now. She's young and has her entire life ahead of her. She went to university, graduated with (I assume) top marks, and seems to carry herself well in public. She's always discreet and very supportive of Prince William and isn't that what he needs for a future wife anyway? Right now she's doing what all young women who are dating seriously without the marking of a ring do: pondering her options. And she just happens to have the means to ponder as long as she wants.

If and when she does become a public figure once accepting a proposal of marraige by the prince, then I can see the public's expectations ascend to a higher level. Until then, I enjoy living vicariously through her. I'm 22 and would love have the life she's living now. LOL. It certainly would make my credit card companies happy :).

One thing we won't have to worry about if she becomes a princess is her style! I think she has excellent taste in public and personal style. And there is nothing I like better than seeing a royal put some of her money into great clothes. Go Kate!

Last edited:
Is there some evidence that Kate ever refers to herself as Catherine? Is that why you call her by a name that's never used of her? I think most Kates that call themselves Kate would be bemused to be referred to by a name they never use. My cousin Kate has never called herself Katherine in her life.

Laviollette said:
One area where she or the press doesn't have control is whether or not William marries her. Even if they are engaged already, which I doubt, it is still his decision when to marry and to whom. He may choose someone else after he's over her or he could meet someone else he wants to marry.

How do you know that? What do you (or we all) know about the relationship between Catherine and William? Only because William has the socially stronger position it doesn't mean he is the stronger in their relationship. Maybe he is needier than her and he finds all he needs with her? Maybe he is still insecure because of the divorce of his parents and the death of his mother and being together with Catherine makes him feel loved, protected, cared for etc. I knwo a lot of really good marriages who work that way: one needs and the other loves to give and receives in return all the worldy goods the needy person has to offer. Kind of symbiotic relationships but working perfectly well on making these people really happy.

As an aside: we know that Charles needs Camilla, too, from their
"Camillagate"-conversation, so it's not so far fetched that William looks for a similar relationship. Diana thought Charles needed something from her and thought she had a right to get all in return. Which didn't work that way in that case, unfortunately. CP Mary told in her engagement-interviews that the loss of queen Ingrid and Frederick's need for help, comfort and consolation brought her and Frederick to the point where they started to really think about marriage. Haakon of Norway seem to have found something so important in warm-hearted, smiling Mette-Marit that he overlooked all her faults. So it's not so way beyond all imaginations that William found something in Catherine that he needs so much that she is the "giver" of the relationship.

For me the important thing is that he appears to be happy while she seems to be content with the situation. We don't see enough of her to have a chance at telling if she is happy as well, though the parade was telling that probably she is. But we don't know if one or who wants to marry whom in this relationship and why. I just wanted to point out that there are many facets on human relationships and there are a lot of them who are not reigned by the fact that one has social status and money and the other has less of it.

Let this be my christmas message - I'm off for the holidays! Merry christmas to all of you.

Frothy said:
Is there some evidence that Kate ever refers to herself as Catherine? Is that why you call her by a name that's never used of her? I think most Kates that call themselves Kate would be bemused to be referred to by a name they never use. My cousin Kate has never called herself Katherine in her life.

But Catherine prefers Catherine in her private life. It was the media who dubbed her Kate. Her real name is Catherine Elizabeth Middleton.

Her full names are Catherine Elizabeth. Apparently a few months ago it was claimed she preferred 'Catherine' rather than 'Kate', but I doubt that she issued a press release to clarify the situation. Since then some members have referred to her as 'Catherine', some see her as the Divine Miss M, and others see her as the harbinger of doom for the House of Windsor.
Take your pick. :)

I think it's polite to use whatever she uses. If that's Catherine so be it!

HighGoalHighDreams and Madame Royale, you are joining Skydragon and Warren in my favorite posters Royal Forums club. There are others here as well, but those two immediately come to mind. That will be all. ;) Happy Holidays everyone!!

Why, thank you very much. :) :) That was a great thing to wake up to this morning.

Luv2Cruise said:
THANK YOU!!!!! These kids crack me up, looking down on Kate from atop of their crosses, bellyaching about Kate not working. SHE NOW WORKS AND EVEN IF SHE NEVER WORKS AND MARRIES PRINCE WILLIAM, GOOD FOR HER. As long as she's not slashing her wrists, tossing her cookies in the bathroom, or hurling herself down the stairs, I think Kate will be okay. Kate is not a monster for not flipping burgers at MickeyDs or working the checkout counter at Walmart.

The working class hero song is tiresome. For those of us who were answering the bell before those who are screaming at Kate about a job were even born, working is not all it's cracked up to be. If Kate's parents make enough to keep her in style so she doesn't have to work, I'm all for it. I'm all for ANYONE who doesn't have to do 9 to 5. I count the SECONDS until I can retire.

Get your butts kicked in A CAREER for 30+ years then get back to me about Kate not working. She deserves a medal in my book. :lol: God save us all from the HATERS.

I have to quote this, and emphasize the bolded part.

All these people whining about how Kate doesn't work, what is she going to do with her life, why doesn't she do something.....I would KILL to not have to work. I WISH my parents/family could provide for me to sit on my butt all day and do other things with my time. There is absolutely no shame nor should there be, attached to having the money to not have to work. There just isn't. Being able to hold down a job isn't some affirmation that you're a good person or a worthy person. If Kate is financially well-off enough to never see a cubicle, then good for her. She's luckier than most. It doesn't make her snobbish, arrogant, entitled or any other denegrating phrase that can be conjured up.

Yeah, I wish Paris Hilton would know what's it like to be one of us "regular" people, but the truth is.....I'd rather be her (financially-speaking) than me. I'd love to be able to provide for my family without having to work myself to death for it. People who think it's bad form to never work are missing the bigger picture. Earning a dollar and knowing what it's like to have to work for a living is a great thing to teach a child. No one wants a spoiled child. However, telling them that they HAVE to work, else they be viewed as pampered and entitled is wrong.

SisterMorphine, I'm with ya! If I ever hit that lotto, we're quitting our jobs and going shopping with Kate!!! :lol: Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night!!!

hello every body:
I really don`t know how is the relations between men and women who are not married there in UK and how to gudge it.but i really think that Kate is envolved strongly in Prince William life and I don`t know what is the possibilities that this would not lead to marriage??????? He is a prince I think he has a degree of ........I d9on`t know>.<

Luv2Cruise said:
SisterMorphine, I'm with ya! If I ever hit that lotto, we're quitting our jobs and going shopping with Kate!!! :lol: Happy Holidays to all, and to all a good night!!!

Sounds like a good plan! I can always use new shoes. :lol:

I totally agree with you in that one. Many people may criticize Kate or whatever but bottom line is it is jealousy and i bet if they had the money they would the exact same thing as her.
Sister Morphine said:
All these people whining about how Kate doesn't work, what is she going to do with her life, why doesn't she do something.....I would KILL to not have to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are absolutely right. It all boils down to petty jealousy. They would do the exact same thing as Kate if they could only dream of half the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom