The Public's Expectations of Kate as William's Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laviollette said:
Now since she's being forced upon us all as future queen we have to endure the new reinvention of her back into Catherine? How convenient and manipulative!

Are you a holder of a British passport? Or why do you feel she is forced upon "us all" - I mean she is never going to be my queen, so I don't feel that way but would she be yours if William asked her to become his wife?

Jo of Palatine said:
Are you a holder of a British passport? Or why do you feel she is forced upon "us all" - I mean she is never going to be my queen, so I don't feel that way but would she be yours if William asked her to become his wife?
As a holder of a United States passport, perhaps I should inform you that the entire BRF is of almost obsessive interest here and that will include the wives of Wills and Harry as it did their mother. Perhaps the Germans or other nationalities don't have quite the same relationship to Great Britain and the U.S. does.

p.s.: I don't want to be questioned about what kind of passport I carry. It doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
Maybe you don't have a problem with her doing absolutely nothing but some people do have a problem with it. She is being pushed down our throats as the perfect future queen of england. To say that no one is going to scrutinize her is so naive. She is dating Prince William of Wales! She's gotten a free ride so far and there's nothing wrong with saying that some of us do not want this "socialite" as princess, duchess or queen. We are entitled to our opinion!
!

I have not seen anyone except the media pushing Catherine down anyones throat. If someone chooses to be so naive as to believe only what they hear in the media, that is down to them. Others seem to be happy to give her the benefit of the doubt, not everyone needs to know what she is doing 24/7. Until she becomes engaged, if indeed she does, to William, then it is up to her and her family what she does with her time.

There are very few factual articles published about Catherine at all in the UK. Where you live may be different, I don't live there, so would not presume to pass judgement!

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion but, passing it off as fact is more than a little low. The constant attacks on this young woman because you are not privy to what she does makes it sound as if jealousy has taken over from good sense.

Just a rough piece on what a socialite is considered to be and Catherine could not by any stretch of the imagination be called one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socialite

Didn't Kate graduate from St. Andrews with a degree in Art History? I thought she and Prince William had been studying similar subjects. If she does decide on a career in Interior design her Art History will be a tremendous asset to her. Not to mention all the people who would pay to say there house was done by Prince William's girlfriend. ;)

This thread is for the public expectations of Kate Middleton.
UK-USA relationships, or relationships between any other countries are not the topic of the discussion.
Whatever any individuals feel is only their own, personal view.

Several posts, which were geting too personal, have been removed.
I am sure when we all had a cup of tea or hot chocolate, we can resume the friendly conversation.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
As a holder of a United States passport, perhaps I should inform you that the entire BRF is of almost obsessive interest here and that will include the wives of Wills and Harry as it did their mother. Perhaps the Germans or other nationalities don't have quite the same relationship to Great Britain and the U.S. does.

p.s.: I don't want to be questioned about what kind of passport I carry. It doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

I was only wondering why you should state that she is forced on you. I can easily understand Beatrixfan's strong emotions as he is going to become a subject of a king William eventually but for US-citizens it should be a topic which is interesting but, as it does not involve the duty to recognize William as a future souverain, is positioned on a different level where one could apply more courtesy towards a young girl who has done nothing but dating a prince of a foreign country. IMHO. But "obsessive" is an interesting choice of words in the circumstances.

ysbel said:
But you just said that she might not marry William and from what we know (which is very little) either option is possible.

I have to admit you struck upon a pet peeve of mine and that is when the public or the press gets it into their head to demand that a private person do something or make a statement to appease the public and to justify themselves. And the public acts as if they're doing the person a favor, "Oh if you would only do this, we'd like you more so why don't you be sensible and do it?"

Kate does not have to justify herself because she still is a private citizen. As you said she may not marry William. People are free to like or dislike who they want but demanding that they say or act a certain way is too much.

I very much agree with you, if the public is not "paying" for her lifestyle, she is still a private citizen. She should be allowed to conduct herself any way she see fit. Until she puts on his wedding ring and we start to support her, she is intitled to her privacy.

Well, we are paying for her in a way. The tax-payer is footing the security supplied for and the staff that clean up and look after her when she's at Clarence House. Okay so it's not that much but she is costing us something.

< ed > What Jo is saying (and correct me if I'm wrong Jo) is, you said that Kate was being forced upon you. Well, she won't be your Queen Consort so whilst you don't like her and don't think she's right for William, she isn't being forced upon you - she's being forced upon the British people.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
< ed >.What Jo is saying (and correct me if I'm wrong Jo) is, you said that Kate was being forced upon you. Well, she won't be your Queen Consort so whilst you don't like her and don't think she's right for William, she isn't being forced upon you - she's being forced upon the British people.
I said "forced upon us all". It's a figure of speech. Why is Jo so focused on one thing I said? Why is this so personal? Because I disagree in my opinion about Kate? Because I'm American? What?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no, it's just that if you're saying she's being forced upon all Americans it isn't really true because she isn't. If you're saying she's being forced upon all Britons then that is true - IMO. It isn't personal or because you're American. You're entitled to your opinions which you express extremely well but the problem is that she won't be your Queen Consort and so to say she's being forced upon "us all" raises some questions with people about who exactly she's being forced upon and how true that would be.

BeatrixFan said:
Well no, it's just that if you're saying she's being forced upon all Americans it isn't really true because she isn't. If you're saying she's being forced upon all Britons then that is true - IMO.

You're right in your interpretation of my question, Beatrixfan. I was simply wondering why someone without a British passport should feel that Kate is forced upon other people than the British.

If William marries Kate and if he becomes king, then the British public will have to accept that a picture of Kate is going to hang in most offices in the UK. They will see her driving in cars they pay for and they will see her wear jewelery that is national heritage. They will see her called "Your Majesty" and have to accept that. They will probably hear the priest in their CoE-service ask for the Lord's protection for Kate and William... If someone doesn't like her, that is hard to stomach. So I can understand Beatrixfans sentiments.

While citizens of other countries can simply be interested in Kate, whether they like her or not and go on with their normal life. I doubt one sees many drugstores in the US where pics of William and Kate are on display. Same here in my homecountry. While I know lots and lots of shops and pubs in the UK who have pics of the Royal family on their walls and people still feel they should reverence their past which is impersonated by the RF. Then of course they will wish for memebers of the said family they can feel positive about.

Jo, I consider you to be still referring to my nationality as if being an American makes me not able to participate in the way I want to on The Royal Forums message board. What, are Americans not welcome here??? Are we not allowed to make comments in the British Forum??? I've already been called a Yank! I haven't used any derogatory language towards anyone.

Laviollette said:
Jo, I consider you to be still referring to my nationality as if being an American makes me not able to participate in the way I want to on The Royal Forums message board. What, are Americans not welcome here??? Are we not allowed to make comments in the British Forum??? I've already been called a Yank! I haven't used any derogatory language towards anyone.

I am sure Jo (or anyone else) didn't mean to offend you in any way, nor did they mean to offend you as American.
People from all countries are equally welcome to express their opinions and their point of views are euqally valued.

What Jo meant to say is that only the British people should and can accept (or not accept) Kate Middleton (or anyone else) as Prince William's possible bride. People of other nationalities (including me and you) can have their opinion of her, of course, but it's up to the British how they will receive her at the end of the day.
Basically everyone who posted here are greatly interested in the British Royal Family, most are really attached to it and feel like it's 'their' Royal Family as well. As Armenian, I am in no way subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, however I have immense respect and love for the Royal Family. But as non-british, I don't think my opinion matters, when it comes to such issues. I can have my private view or opinion, but what (mainly) matters is the opinion of the British People.

Last edited:
Edit: Yipes! I didn't realize I was replying to something way back on the first page.

Move along, nothing to see here. ;)

Last edited:
lol............ kate jobless she must have tons of money like bill gates

Avalon said:
What Jo meant to say is that only the British people should and can accept (or not accept) Kate Middleton (or anyone else) as Prince William's possible bride. People of other nationalities (including me and you) can have their opinion of her, of course, but it's up to the British how they will receive her at the end of the day.
Basically everyone who posted here are greatly interested in the British Royal Family, most are really attached to it and feel like it's 'their' Royal Family as well. As Armenian, I am in no way subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, however I have immense respect and love for the Royal Family. But as non-british, I don't think my opinion matters, when it comes to such issues. I can have my private view or opinion, but what (mainly) matters is the opinion of the British People.

I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks, Avalon. :flowers:

Skydragon said:
Everyone is entitiled to voice their opinion, all anyone asks is that it is not passed off as fact.

I second that. All I ask of the "right honorable members" (to quote the British Parliament) is that they make a difference between proven facts, rumours, innuendos and the mere voicing of opinions. It helps us all and garantees the fun we all have here discussing our favorite topic.:flowers:

Laviollette said:
Maybe you don't have a problem with her doing absolutely nothing but some people do have a problem with it. She is being pushed down our throats as the perfect future queen of england. To say that no one is going to scrutinize her is so naive. She is dating Prince William of Wales! She's gotten a free ride so far and there's nothing wrong with saying that some of us do not want this "socialite" as princess, duchess or queen. We are entitled to our opinion!

And this business with calling her Catherine all of a sudden. She's the one who re-made herself into Kate at SA to be popular and cool and make friends. Now since she's being forced upon us all as future queen we have to endure the new reinvention of her back into Catherine? How convenient and manipulative!

catherine may be getting a huge amount of media attention but no one is under any obligation to buy or read any of it so it i never understand it when people say that someone is being "pushed down our throats". as for her getting a free ride, unless any of us have first hand knowledge of who pays her way then we can't make a statement like that.

i have a question and it may or may not be in the right thread but i'll put it out there because it's been mentioned here - here goes:

it was talked about in the book i just finished reading about the duchess of windsor that when the prince of wales wanted to propse to her one of the obstacles was that other commonwealth countries had to agree (i may have misunderstood) so if this true then william's wanting to marry catherine would also have to be approved by other commonwealth countries too?

No. Just the Queen. What obstacle do you mean exactly Duchess? Was it title related?

Not to get totally off topic...but I do recall with the Duchess of Windsor...the Commonwealth didn't approve of the marriage...and I believe that the Prime Minister and his cabinet threatened to resign if Edward VIII married Wallis...so maybe that's what the Duchess means. Also, it didn't help that George V and Queen Mary didn't like Wallis as well...the times being what they were. Divorced woman and all that. And was that the situation with Princess Margaret as well? I believe the Queen was hesitant to give her approval because the Cabinet threatened to resign?

I wouldn't imagine that the Commonwealth or the Cabinet (as they exist today) wouldn't agree to a marriage between William and Kate...unless of course..the Commonwealth's rules/Consitution are different from 1936? Is that the case? Or its still just the Queen who has the final authority/approval.

Zonk said:
Not to get totally off topic...but I do recall with the Duchess of Windsor...the Commonwealth didn't approve of the marriage...and I believe that the Prime Minister and his cabinet threatened to resign if Edward VIII married Wallis...so maybe that's what the Duchess means. Also, it didn't help that George V and Queen Mary didn't like Wallis as well...the times being what they were. Divorced woman and all that. And was that the situation with Princess Margaret as well? I believe the Queen was hesitant to give her approval because the Cabinet threatened to resign?

I wouldn't imagine that the Commonwealth or the Cabinet (as they exist today) wouldn't agree to a marriage between William and Kate...unless of course..the Commonwealth's rules/Consitution are different from 1936? Is that the case? Or its still just the Queen who has the final authority/approval.

yes yes that was it! thanks zonk.
so the reason i posted the question was because if this is the case, and commonwealth countries can do this, don't these countries have an interest, perhaps not equal to the UK- in the who the future consort is and not just the UK?

Well, the Commonwealth leaders will be consulted but their permission isn't needed. Only the Queen has to give her approval which she does after consulting all the Commonwealth leaders - so they get asked for their opinion but they don't give a deciding vote as it were.

Kate and William do not need the Commonwealth permission, I doubt that they would even give much of an opinion unless there was something in her past that would make it a huge problem in one of those countries.

Durning the abdication crisis the commonwealth prime ministers were given three options (along with the British gov't) 1. They marry (becoming King and Queen) 2. They marry (she doesn't become Queen) 3. They marry, he abdicates. All but one (Ireland, which was still in the commonwealth) favoured the 3 option. They all then need to agree to the Act of abdication.

The only way that Kate and William would have to go to the commonwealth if there was some need for legislation, which there isn't so it won't be a problem.

Although we now know that the Commonwealth countries were fed info that just wasn't true and made their decision on that info. Had they been honest, Wallis would have been Queen.

MARG said:
Likewise photographs of Camilla in her role of country wife and mother were also 'something'. Wellies, headscarfs, children, who cares. She had a life before marrying the POW. :)

Camilla being a country wife and mother was totally a job. Marriage and kids are every bit "jobs" as anything else. :) Especially when it's Camilla you're talking about. I just love Camilla. She is so cool. That woman has style! I truly hope the sons of Charles will find, if they don't have already, their Camilla-esque soulmates: women who will stick by them through it all, be their #1 fans, love them "as easy as falling off a chair, darling!" :lol:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Camilla being a country wife and mother was totally a job. Marriage and kids are every bit "jobs" as anything else. :) Especially when it's Camilla you're talking about. I just love Camilla. She is so cool. That woman has style! I truly hope the sons of Charles will find, if they don't have already, their Camilla-esque soulmates: women who will stick by them through it all, be their #1 fans, love them "as easy as falling off a chair, darling!" :lol:
I hear you. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Pax. :innocent:

I agree that Charles and Camilla seem perfect for each other. I just feel bad that they had to wait so long to be together and the way they went about it it was totally wrong. We are human and make mistakes. We all have to deal with personally, but the poor people have deal with it in public as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom