The Hypothetical Question of Prince William Living with his Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
Keeping in mind that this is all speculative and unconfirmed, one of the Sydney papers stated that Charles would not agree to the London flat proposal because it would be "a security nightmare", so Clarence House will become their residence. It was claimed that the arrangement had "the blessing of The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh...both are said to adore her for her soothing effect on William."

Again we simply don't know yet if this is the case. I would imagine the Queen would have to consult with the Prime Minister to ensure there won't be a problem with Parliament if a non-royal is living in a royal palace rent-free and benefitting from security arrangements in place for Prince William.

Given recent inquiries and demands from MP's to question the Prince of Wales' finances in the Duchy of Cornwall, it may turn out to be a controversial matter if true.

branchg said:
Again we simply don't know yet if this is the case. I would imagine the Queen would have to consult with the Prime Minister to ensure there won't be a problem with Parliament if a non-royal is living in a royal palace rent-free and benefitting from security arrangements in place for Prince William.

Given recent inquiries and demands from MP's to question the Prince of Wales' finances in the Duchy of Cornwall, it may turn out to be a controversial matter if true.

I say let Wills rent his own apartment with his pin money from Daddy (oops, forgot that that's a source of controversy too!) and have no security guards if it's a problem.

See how long it will take Al-Queda to find him.

(Yes, I'm being facetious. When Diana dismissed her security guards, I was amazed at how long it took before something happened to her.)

Facetious maybe, but your post is a bit tasteless in my opinion iowabelle.
W

segolen said:
When they were in Scotland, Kate and Wills were not living “ together” They used to share a 4 bedroom house with other students. Everyone had their separate room ( officially LOL). I don’t see anything intimate in this. But living together in the Clarence House is another story.
I used to share a house with 4 guys when at school. this didn't mean
I was sleeping with them:D

There were 4 bedrooms but were all 4 being used for sleeping by one individual?? That is the question. Perhaps only 3 or maybe 2 of the bedrooms were being used. The remaining 2 bedrooms could have been storage space or turned into a study or the like!!

Sorry, Warren, I don't mean to offend. I meant to carry the argument to the extreme.

But... William is a target from adoring fans, paparazzi, and anybody else. So he must be protected. And anybody that William cares about, or is even in the vicinity of, is a potential target.

Remember the "carefree days" of the 1970s, when Princess Anne was almost kidnapped and a couple of her security personnel badly injured? Mountbatten's assassination? Just to name 2 incidents.

We live in even more dangerous times, and William must be protected. And unless he is willing to live in a box in a vault in Windsor Castle, he's going to need adequate protection while being allowed to live some sort of a life and the opportunity to find a girl willing to share it with him.

And somebody's going to have to cough up the cash to pay for it.

iowabelle said:
Sorry, Warren, I don't mean to offend. I meant to carry the argument to the extreme.

But... William is a target from adoring fans, paparazzi, and anybody else. So he must be protected. And anybody that William cares about, or is even in the vicinity of, is a potential target.

Remember the "carefree days" of the 1970s, when Princess Anne was almost kidnapped and a couple of her security personnel badly injured? Mountbatten's assassination? Just to name 2 incidents.

We live in even more dangerous times, and William must be protected. And unless he is willing to live in a box in a vault in Windsor Castle, he's going to need adequate protection while being allowed to live some sort of a life and the opportunity to find a girl willing to share it with him.

And somebody's going to have to cough up the cash to pay for it.

i would have agree with iowabelle because Prince Charles's uncle more means and he would let Prince Charles getting married in 1970's not Princess Diana because she really young girls and Prince Charles been dating Princess Diana's 2 older sister before Diana become Princess of Wales and HM Queen and Prince Philip told him about that and i cant remind that!

and Princess Anne got kidnapped and her bodyguard or personal security going get her to be safety! her bodyguard told television about that! but i would agree about that but i think Prince William need to protection he had 2 police to watch him all the times because William going become King of England but his girlfriend Kate Middleton of 2 years going lives with him at Clarence House till married

Sara Boyce

tiaraprin said:
There were 4 bedrooms but were all 4 being used for sleeping by one individual?? That is the question. Perhaps only 3 or maybe 2 of the bedrooms were being used. The remaining 2 bedrooms could have been storage space or turned into a study or the like!!

It doesn’t matter what they were used for. May be they all slept in one room.:D LOL

What I was saying was that Kate and Wills “officially” had separate rooms and they were flat shearing or house shearing. It makes the difference

Princess BellyFlop said:
Right now, the NO is leading the poll. Who are those No voters? schoolgirls envious of Kate?

Whoever Wills dates there will always be people to criticize.

I voted Yes. There are 149 for Yes and 178 for No at this moment.

Currently, the no is still leading 185 to the 156 yes votes.

I'm suprised that she allowed this because she was really restrictive with Charles and the criteria for his future bride. Does anyone know whether she is going to change the law so that if William had a daughter she would be eligible to rule?

mirsada said:
I'm suprised that she allowed this because she was really restrictive with Charles and the criteria for his future bride. Does anyone know whether she is going to change the law so that if William had a daughter she would be eligible to rule?
Nothing prevents a daughter of William from reigning, just like nothing impeded the accession of Elizabeth in 1952... except a brother, or a Catholic husband, or converting to Catholicism.

Last edited:
Maybe William and Kate can live like they feel until William has some official responsabilities such as becoming Prince of Wales. Higher responsabilities can often mean that the rules get more strict. It happens when someone is elected to a post of high responsibilities and has to declare all his/her sources of revenu and put the management of his/her companies into a trust for example. It happened to the last General Governer of Canada, Madame Adrienne Clarkson, when she was nominated six years ago.

From the newspaper «LE DEVOIR» of August15, 2005; «Pour obtenir les clés de Rideau Hall, Adrienne Clarkson avait dû convoler en justes noces au préalable avec John Ralston Saul, son conjoint de longue date. Libérée du soupçon de «vivre dans le péché»,...»
Roughly translated: «Before getting the keys of Rideau Hall, Adrienne Clarkson had to marry John Ralston Raul, her longtime companion. Free of any suspicion of living in sins,...»

mirsada said:

I think you meant in the case that William's first child was a daughter?

I think the Queen has realized that some traditions have been harmful to her family and times are changing. To some extent, she's probably already become accustomed to the idea, with Edward living with Sophie and Peter and Zara living with their partners.

I don't see what the big deal with them living together is... I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?

Britters said:
I don't see what the big deal with them living together is... I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?

Excellent point Britters!!

Where There's a Bill, There's No Way

Britters said:
I understand that she shouldn't be allowed to live in Clarence House rent free at the tax payers expenses, but more people seem to be more upset by the fact that the couple are being allowed to live with one another period. They have lived together for 3 years now, why is everyone so surprised that they wish to carry on this arrangement?

The problem IMO is that (if that rumor is true, which is still to be proved) she would live in a Royal property. You suggest she would pay a rent, but I don't think so. The Kents pay £64 a week for their apartments in K Palace and are beeing bashed by the press as parasites. If it is expected from her to pay market price, it will be out of price. A mere 2 bedroom flat in this area of London cost several hundred pounds a week, upmarket flats go for several thousand bucks a week, so an apartment in a Royal Palace would go for a of a 5 digits bill a week. Her parents may be OK financially but they are not billionaires, have other kids and I don't think they will pay for her rent. So basically, if she moves in, ether she won't pay anything, or she will pay a bargain price.
Another point is CH is not paid by Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall nor by William's inheritance. It's payed by taxpayers. Charles was criticised when Camz moved in because she was not an official member of the family but still enjoyed the Palace and all its staff paid the tax payers.
It would be silly for Kate to expose herself to such criticism. The popular press is nearly lobbying for William to marry her and she is sold as Saint Kate. It would be cleverer for her to have her own apartment and accomplish something in her life by her own, rather then depending on Will at such an early stage of their relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
mirsada said:

Times change. Perhaps the Queen feels it is better, given the history of her children's marriages, to accept the situation as being better than forcing her grandson to marry someone he doesn't really love for the sake of the throne.

The issue of a first-born daughter taking precedence over a subsequent son in terms of succession to the throne has reportedly been discussed by the "Way Ahead" group of senior royals and their advisors over the years. Since Parliament would have to change the laws of succession, the Queen would have to consult with the Prime Minister to determine whether the majority party is willing to introduce legislation. In my opinion, this is unlikely to happen unless William marries and has a first-born daughter. That would be the opportunity to address the issue.

The controversy with allowing Kate to live openly with William at Clarence House is two-fold. One is the obvious issue of a non-royal receiving the benefit of royal life and protection paid by the British taxpayers without a marriage. The second is the controversy of allowing a future Head of the Church of England to openly "live in sin" in the view of religious conservatives.

We will have to wait and see how this all comes out. No decision has been announced by the Palace or Clarence House, so I would assume the Queen is taking advice on the matter.

The issue of a first-born daughter taking precedence over a subsequent son in terms of succession to the throne has reportedly been discussed by the "Way Ahead" group of senior royals and their advisors over the years.
I think it was already dealt with during the upheaval that resulted with the Charles and DIana divorce; she agreed to pay taxes, decommission the Britannia, and end the precedence men had over females in the succession.

The controversy with allowing Kate to live openly with William at Clarence House is two-fold. One is the obvious issue of a non-royal receiving the benefit of royal life and protection paid by the British taxpayers without a marriage. The second is the controversy of allowing a future Head of the Church of England to openly "live in sin" in the view of religious conservatives.
Exactly. Furthermore I mentioned on another board that Kate seems determined to pin him down as much as possible. By moving into Clarence House she also gives Will more power over her. She will have to put up with anything, since she's living there at his sufferance. If she has her own place, if they bicker she can afford to say "Go to Hell" and she won't be under his control more. As for William, a separate establishment will allow him much needed space and privacy. If he wants to invite female friends over for an evening then he will be able to without Kate possibly spying on him or freaking out.

The Kents pay £64 a week for their apartments in K Palace and are beeing bashed by the press as parasites.
Which in a sense is unfair since they ARE relatives of the Queen herself. I think Charles needs to stop letting them guilt trip him and firmly put his foot down. William is behaving more like a regular spoiled rich kid and needs to seriously begin fulfilling duties and setting an example. He's graduated and now is time for him to start performing in ceremonies and working.

Last edited:
Idriel said:
Her parents may be OK financially but they are not billionaires, have other kids and I don't think they will pay for her rent. So basically, if she moves in, ether she won't pay anything, or she will pay a bargain price.
Another point is CH is not paid by Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall nor by William's inheritance. It's payed by taxpayers. Charles was criticised when Camz moved in because she was not an official member of the family but still enjoyed the Palace and all its staff paid the tax payers.
It would be silly for Kate to expose herself to such criticism. relationship.
you made a good point.
...and besides the rent, Wills would have to “ cover” all of the housekeeping expenses around her. Not that he has to, but I can not imagine Kate living with him and he gets the housekeeping help from the maids, but Kate not. Obviously she would get it as well. As we know, the housekeepers are paid of the tax-money as well

Idriel said:
It would be cleverer for her to have her own apartment and accomplish something in her life by her own, rather then depending on Will at such an early stage of their relationship.

And being independent would keep Wills more interested in her. Unfortunately she does not get it.

segolen said:
And being independent would keep Wills more interested in her. Unfortunately she does not get it.

I will say that is a valid point. The only thing is that we don't know what is truly going on. We will never know.

I hope we will. What ‘s going on between Kate and Wills is not very hard to follow. So many eyes are watching them…” grin”…;)

The Kents may be paying the Queen 64 sterling, but Her Majesty is paying $165,000 annually to the Exchequer for their apartment in Kensington Palace. She agreed to do so until 2007, at that time the Kents must either pay it themselves or find another home. I think their house in the country is for sale for $6 million?

The issue of a first-born daughter ascending the throne over a son has not been addressed by Parliament and the old rules still apply.

I've been following the thread and wondering, from all the posts which suggest that William is too young to marry and should "sow some wild oats" but which also say that as future head of the church he should set the moral tone for society to follow, is it more moral to have sexual relations with a variety of women whom the future king has no intention of marrying, or have mistresses before or after marriage, than to live with one who might possibly be the future wife and for whom he feels sincere love?

There would be other possibilities. For example having a sexual relationship with ONE woman (who at present is Kate), but without living together (but she could live with him sometimes as a guest - I think it's different - BUT having TWO rooms OFFICIALLY).
Or - this would be the best one :D - having no sexual relationships at all. But perhaps this is too demanding for some people. :rolleyes:

In any case, the reason because I don't like the idea of them living "officially" together as husband and wife is that this would be a clear statement from them: marriage is not needed. I don't think this is the right message.

Last edited:
sapphiya said:
I've been following the thread and wondering, from all the posts which suggest that William is too young to marry and should "sow some wild oats" but which also say that as future head of the church he should set the moral tone for society to follow,

Hi sapphiya, I was the one who suggested William is too young and should sow some wild oats but I haven't suggested that he set a moral tone and other than being a basically decent human being and treating people with respect.

The problem with Kate Middleton is the public is putting pressure on a marriage and in this day and age they're too young. Royal watchers have commented that at William's age, Charles had undertaken a lot more official duties than William has. He is taking on the mantle of royal responsibility much slower than his father did. Living together would put more pressure on them to marry and not less and that's not good until William gets a feel for his role. If they are not suited for each other, it will be harder for her to pull out if she lives with him than if they live apart.

Being the heir to the throne puts a lot more pressure on getting married than for the average Joe. Adding the stress of living together just doubles the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom