The Hypothetical Question of Prince William Living with his Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
branchg said:
My dear, you are starting to sound like a professor grading a schoolpaper. It is quite clear I am citing what has been written about Diana in various books regarding the claim of virginity. I am not writing a thesis on the history of the monarchy since 1980, so I would suggest you take yourself a little less seriously.

I am just curious to know your sources. Is that too much to ask?

A reminder of TRF's Posting Rules & Guidelines: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4920.

Please remember to provide sources for your facts if you present them as such. If they are your opinons, then that is one thing, but if you are presenting a fact (eg. Diana was a virgin when she married Charles/Diana was not a virgin when she married Charles), then the source needs to be cited, whether it be a book, an article, an interview, etc. If you present something as being fact then the onus is on you to state the source -- the onus is not on others to prove that your "fact" is indeed such. Or for others to find sources that prove your "fact" wrong.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

Hey you all, I got this from the Royaltywatcher Newsletter, which comes from Royalty Magazine (http://www.royalty-magazine.com). It looks like they will even have an article in the next volume of Royalty Magazine. I think this counts as credible news.​
William and Kate prepare to set up home
The Prince of Wales has taken another step showing his approval of Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton - by giving his consent for the couple to share an apartment at Clarence House. It is an exceptional gesture for Prince Charles to invite William and Kate to share rooms down the corridor from his own apartments. It is also quite a brave decision as there will be some disapproval of the third in line to the throne openly enjoying relations ‘out of wedlock' - another indication that Charles has fully embraced the concept of a contemporary and relaxed monarchy. (read the full story in Royalty vol 19/11 – coming soon)

branchg said:
My dear, you are starting to sound like a professor grading a schoolpaper. It is quite clear I am citing what has been written about Diana in various books regarding the claim of virginity. I am not writing a thesis on the history of the monarchy since 1980, so I would suggest you take yourself a little less seriously.

I would like to know also, since this is contrary to what I have read.

I agree that it's all very modern and I've lived with my partner for many years, so I can hardly judge. But it seems a bit of a bad message to send - I like to think royalty are a bit more proper than "real" people. I can see, though, that the Queen would probably do anything to avoid having another divorce in the royal family, so if that means letting William live with Kate, so be it. However, that may just be trading one scandal (divorce) for another (living together). Plus William seems so young yet! I know - his mother was married by this time. But we see where the judgment of a 19-year-old got her, and is William any more sound because he's a few years older? Maybe he's gun-shy of marriage, period, seeing what became of his parents' marriage. I do hope if he marries Kate he won't follow his father's footsteps and have a mistress. Or worse yet, and more in keeping with his father - that he won't marry someone else and fool around with Kate for 30 years, ruining the life of the one he might marry, as Charles did with Diana.

Didn't Edward and Sophie lived together for years before getting married? What's the fuss?

Incas said:
Didn't Edward and Sophie lived together for years before getting married? What's the fuss?

On their engagement day, Sophie announced to the press that "they never lived together, nor (did she) give any ultimatums." The ultimatums were about how long Edward took to ask her to marry him. There were rumors that she told him she was leaving if he didn't get up the courage to ask her.

Whether what Sophie said on her engagement day is true or not, I do not know.

Heck, Andrew and Sarah were living together in Buckingham Palace all the months leading up to their wedding and the servants complained about what a wreck they made of the beds from "certain activities". Even Charles and Diana technically lived together under the same roof, but he was hardly there and nothing happened according to all accounts I have read.

What's the difference?

I'd say the primary difference might be that Edward has basically no chance at being the Monarch, nor does Andrew. William, however, is expected to one day be King and as such probably has more expected of him. I'm not saying that's right, but in the eyes of the public, it's got to count for something. Charles and Diana were technically "living together", it's true, in the sense that they occupied the same building some of the time before marriage, but I doubt they lived together in the same sense that William and Kate have in mind (primarily because I don't think Charles and Diana did all that much while they were married!).

Silly question but...has this been confirmed for being 100% true or still just a rumor?

What I want to know is if Harry and Chelsy are next? I mean, he can hardly allow one and not the other. Is Clarence House Government property or the private property of Charles?

I did not live with my husband before marriage and I think one of the main reasons was because there is a difference between marriage and cohabitation. If I abuse or am ugly to my husband, I have to live with the emotional consequences for the rest of my life. No moving out....marriage is about committment, more than compadibility.

BeccaLynn07 said:
Silly question but...has this been confirmed for being 100% true or still just a rumor?

it is not a rumor.

This can be seen both ways. On one hand, Prince William is a guy who has a girlfriend, and like many couples, have decided to live together, which is fine. But on the other hand, he is Prince William, and that title alone will cause issues for anyone who thinks that he should set an example for the rest of his country. I myself am not bothered by the idea of William and Kate living together. I know I heard on a TV program *I think it was E! True Hollywood Story: Young Royals* that they were living together while they were in school with 2 other people, so why should it be a problem now?

segolen said:
it is not a rumor.

Unless Clarence House officialy announces they are living together it is a rumour.

ElisaR said:
I disagree. The future King who lives with his girlfriend in his father's house? I hope the story is untrue. They would be a very bad example.

I don't agree with you ElisaR. I think wills is like any young man in that he wants to live with his girlfriend. The only problem would accure if he and Kate were to live together for a long time like say 10 years. The problem that Royalty face now is that the public and media expect live to live to moral standards which no one else bothers with these days. If a royal decides to have a child outside marriage its still a big deal.

I've read stories in the British press that he and kate intend to live together. However in this weeks issue of Hello Magazine they did say that if the couple did decide not to live in a palace, then that this would cause a security nightmare. Especially when the press and tourists find out where they live. Besides they have already lived together.

I don't think that they could live in a palace together unless they were serious about marriage etc. If they did this then people would take it as a sign that Wills is considering marrying Kate.

I think she needs to be careful with that family, as they have a long history of disasterous marriages etc. Besides they are both so young.

I think they should just go for it and live together somewhere in London. They're in love - why not?!!!

BeccaLynn07 said:
oh, ok, thanks. :eek:
Of course it's a rumor. The story emerged in Spanish press and was relayed by British tabloids. The Spectator (which first relayed the rumor) is not considered as a tabloid but the article they did wrote on the issue was quite ridiculous (Kate's mom did push her to go to Saint-Andrews, Will and her are still virgins, etc.). So yeah, it's a rumor.

leahteresa said:
What I want to know is if Harry and Chelsy are next? I mean, he can hardly allow one and not the other. Is Clarence House Government property or the private property of Charles?

There has been no official announcement from Clarence House that William and Kate will be taking up residence there, so we don't really know what the story is yet. Credible sources, such as the BBC, have noted the press stories, but this is not a confirmation from the Household.

Clarence House is a royal residence held in trust by the Crown for members of the royal family at the discretion of the Sovereign. It differs from Crown Estate properties, such as Royal Lodge or Bagshot Park, which are nominally royal residences, but require a leasehold payment to the Exchequer by the Sovereign for their use. The only private homes owned by the Queen are Balmoral (built by Queen Victoria) and Sandringham (built by Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales).

Regarding Chelsy and Harry, again, we have no idea what the future may hold. Right now, Harry is completing his training at Sandhurst and they are not living together. Chelsy is controversial in view of her father's ties to Mugabe, so it remains to be seen if the Queen will be advised by the Prime Minister on the matter.

Amina said:
I don't agree with you ElisaR. I think wills is like any young man in that he wants to live with his girlfriend. The only problem would accure if he and Kate were to live together for a long time like say 10 years. The problem that Royalty face now is that the public and media expect live to live to moral standards which no one else bothers with these days. If a royal decides to have a child outside marriage its still a big deal.

I've read stories in the British press that he and kate intend to live together. However in this weeks issue of Hello Magazine they did say that if the couple did decide not to live in a palace, then that this would cause a security nightmare. Especially when the press and tourists find out where they live. Besides they have already lived together.

I don't think that they could live in a palace together unless they were serious about marriage etc. If they did this then people would take it as a sign that Wills is considering marrying Kate.

I think she needs to be careful with that family, as they have a long history of disasterous marriages etc. Besides they are both so young.

I think they should just go for it and live together somewhere in London. They're in love - why not?!!!

as the future head of the church, i think he's setting a terrible example. if he were the future head of the church then i wouldn't disagree with it.

Duchess said:
as the future head of the church, i think he's setting a terrible example. if he were the future head of the church then i wouldn't disagree with it.

I'm sure many people would agree with you, but the fact is, they were already living together in Scotland, albeit with another couple. Prince William remains extremely popular with the public, so it's likely that he will get away with continuing the arrangement.

Who knows if the Sovereign will remain Head of the Church of England after the death of the Queen? There have been reports that Charles feels very strongly the Church should be deinstitutionalized from the Crown so as to more accurately represent a diverse society of many religions. There have been suggestions he would like to be crowned as "Defender of All Faiths" to represent all of the British people. This would be very controversial though.

I remember reading an article regarding cohabitation. It basically said that most cohabitating couples split after marrying because of the fact that the significant other might live being perfect to snag the person they want to marry. Then the other person is disillusioned because they originally thought that the other person was perfect for them.

For example, Person#1 might be living with Person #2. Person #2 is a complete slob but pretends to be a neatfreak so that way they can get Person#1 to marry them. Person#1 thinks that they know Person#2 so he/she marries Person#2. Then Person#2 drops the facade. So Person#1 finds herself/himself stuck in a marriage with someone who they would never have married originally, or would have tried to work things out before the wedding or even contemplating marriage.

I looks to me like Kate's just trying to play her cards right. If she's patient enough and doesn't slip up there's a possibility that she may become Williams wife.

Exactly. She's playing her cards and maintaining a perfect facade. Now I know snagging a guy, especially a Prince, takes some skill. But what happens after marriage and a few things in her personality come out that William never saw and finds undesirable. She seems intent on nailing him down and knitting him to her as closely as possible. Like living together, what is so wrong with maintaining separate residences? She doesn't seem very secure, somewhat understandable. Security is another issue. If taxpayers pay for security then they are paying for someone who is not (possibly) going to be their future queen.

The royals are sometimes accused of abusing taxpayer money and being freeloaders even though they perform a plethora of royal duties, what does this make Kate, who doesn't perform any royal duties but recieves an apartment at a royal residence? Isn't this an abuse of taxpayer money? She might also use her connections to get a job that could go to someone with a little more experience and skill, Kate herself just got her degree from university and from what I can tell has no major job related experience.

You know, it doesn't really matter what we think, what our rationale is, how logical our arguments are... case in point - William and Kate will be living together and there's not a blasted thing we can ever do about it. So sit back, relax and enjoy the show :)

marezdote said:
That money is being spent anyway. No additional mone would be spent with Kate there. Also Camilla lived with Charles before they married.

I don't think so, sorry. I believe additional money will be spent with Kate with her security and with many other things. She's not a royal-to-be. I disagree of his decision to live with her in Clarence House.

branchg said:
I'm sure many people would agree with you, but the fact is, they were already living together in Scotland, albeit with another couple. Prince William remains extremely popular with the public, so it's likely that he will get away with continuing the arrangement.

When they were in Scotland, Kate and Wills were not living “ together” They used to share a 4 bedroom house with other students. Everyone had their separate room ( officially LOL). I don’t see anything intimate in this. But living together in the Clarence House is another story.
I used to share a house with 4 guys when at school. this didn't mean
I was sleeping with them:D

Regina said:
I don't think so, sorry. I believe additional money will be spent with Kate with her security and with many other things. She's not a royal-to-be. I disagree of his decision to live with her in Clarence House.

i agree completely. Why people should pay for someone, who is not a royal, and may be would never be a part of the royal family.

Is she officially moving into Clarence House? I was under the understanding that the two were getting a flat in London. And if that's the case, how do we know she's not paying a portion of the rent?

The way I understood things is that they are getting a flat in London but that she has, in the past, been invited and stayed at Clarence House with William and that she would be allowed to stay in the future.

segolen said:
i agree completely. Why people should pay for someone, who is not a royal, and may be would never be a part of the royal family.

Of course. Are these kind of things what make people think what's the use of a Monarchy. But what could we expect when his father is Prince Charles?...
Princes are not commoners, and they tend to forget that. They have to be a model for society and not the contrary.

It's those pundits!

Britters said:
Is she officially moving into Clarence House? I was under the understanding that the two were getting a flat in London. And if that's the case, how do we know she's not paying a portion of the rent?
The way I understood things is that they are getting a flat in London.
Keeping in mind that this is all speculative and unconfirmed, one of the Sydney papers stated that Charles would not agree to the London flat proposal because it would be "a security nightmare", so Clarence House will become their residence. It was claimed that the arrangement had "the blessing of The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh...both are said to adore her for her soothing effect on William."

The source of the entire full page article, including the nightmare, the blessing and the adoration, was given as "pundits are predicting...", plus quotes from The Spectator story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom