The Hypothetical Question of Prince William Living with his Girlfriend

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rose1991 said:
This doesn't mean that the couple couldn't live together though. The public may have more respect for him as a king if he is a little more 'normal' because they will be able to relaye to hime better and vice versa, i'm sure.

it does mean they shouldn't live together. morally it would be wrong to live together out of wedlock. it may be socially acceptable but that doesn't make it morally right. believe me, i have nothing against anyone that lives together however i think it would be wrong in this case.

Rose1991 said:
This doesn't mean that the couple couldn't live together though. The public may have more respect for him as a king if he is a little more 'normal' because they will be able to relaye to hime better and vice versa, i'm sure.

Do you really think the public would respect him more, though? People can relate to the drama of celebrities, but don't really see them with the respect I would like to see given to a monarch. William has it hard because he must find a way to make the monarchy adequately modern while still being different and not entirely relatable. If he keeps it too traditional, people will loose interest, but if he becomes exactly like his subjects, but with more money, people will loose respect.

William is currently training at Sandhurst and living at CH during the week. Weekends he has off and may be at CH during them. I would consider that living together.
What does everyonk think?

kpusa1981 said:
William is currently training at Sandhurst and living at CH during the week.

From my experience in the military, during training we also lived in the barracks until we 'graduated' from training. So, does PW train during the day at Sandhurst and travel back to CH to sleep? That doesn't sound right to me.:)

I think he should not live with Kate, 'cause what if he lives with her for awhile and then dumps her and so what then? He'll later take 3 more girls to live with him ...

HRH Kimetha said:
From my experience in the military, during training we also lived in the barracks until we 'graduated' from training. So, does PW train during the day at Sandhurst and travel back to CH to sleep? That doesn't sound right to me.:)

I am under the impression that he lives at Sandhurst during the week but travels to CH for the weekends.

Frankly, in this day and age, I would be surprised if they didn't live together for a few years before marriage (even if we never really hear that they are actually living in the same residence.) I suspect that what would happen if they were to start living together then they would maintian two residences and we wouldn't really be told anything.

HRH Elizabeth said:
Do you really think the public would respect him more, though? People can relate to the drama of celebrities, but don't really see them with the respect I would like to see given to a monarch. William has it hard because he must find a way to make the monarchy adequately modern while still being different and not entirely relatable. If he keeps it too traditional, people will loose interest, but if he becomes exactly like his subjects, but with more money, people will loose respect.

Maybe respect is the wrong word, i agree that people will loose intrest if everything keeps happening through tradition. But many British public already think that our monarchy is rather old fashioned and it can sometimes seem to be stuck in a bit of a time warp. Many of the public have a lot of faith in William becoming a great King but i think that it could change if he doesn't act like a normal person (obviously staying respectable etc.) because he too will seem to be in a bit of a time warp. I'm not saying that no one holds any respect for the monarchy and that it as seen as a complete shambles but it is sometimes looked upon a little like that, especially with societies forming againg the royal family. This is what I mean by the public respecting him more.

Rose1991 said:
Maybe respect is the wrong word, i agree that people will loose intrest if everything keeps happening through tradition. But many British public already think that our monarchy is rather old fashioned and it can sometimes seem to be stuck in a bit of a time warp. Many of the public have a lot of faith in William becoming a great King but i think that it could change if he doesn't act like a normal person (obviously staying respectable etc.) because he too will seem to be in a bit of a time warp. I'm not saying that no one holds any respect for the monarchy and that it as seen as a complete shambles but it is sometimes looked upon a little like that, especially with societies forming againg the royal family. This is what I mean by the public respecting him more.

I see where you are coming from, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. Isn't the whole entity of the monarchy intended to be old-fashioned? I truly think that if the monarchy becomes too modern, it will eventually cease to exist, because it seems people will come to the conclusion that if the royals are as normal as everyone else, they are no longer necessary as a part of the state. But even if the monarchy could stand some modernization, I don't think that the public has little faith in William as king because he isn't "normal." Obviously, I cannot speak for all Brits, but I personally am a touch doubtful not because he's too traditional, but because he seems so damn reluctant to become king. And ultimately, at least to me, while I think issues such as living with a girlfriend could impact the future of the monarchy, I think the far more threatening issue is his seeming lack of interest in his pre-ordained role.

I agree with HRH Elizabeth. I get the impression that William just can't be bothered with being King. He just seems to want to run around with Kate and do very little else. He needs to seriously buck his ideas up.

BeatrixFan said:
I agree with HRH Elizabeth. I get the impression that William just can't be bothered with being King. He just seems to want to run around with Kate and do very little else. He needs to seriously buck his ideas up.

I think that as William gets older, he does like that feeling of power of having people dote on him. In his last two 'formal' outings as a representative of the crown, there were people doing everything for him. It may have been somewhat new to him and him not wanting to be treated any differently, but I think that he will come to love this personal attention of getting assistance in every aspect of his life. I mean I read that Prince Charles gave William and valet years ago. After a few more 'formal' outings, I think William will come to really love his way of life to the point he'll have someone polishing his polo boots and cleaning up his bathroom.:)

Thats the thing though. It isn't a choice. He has to love his way of life. It's his duty. For him, however sad it may sound, there are no choices. He's already married to Britain and he has to start putting her before his girlfriend.

BeatrixFan said:
Thats the thing though. It isn't a choice. He has to love his way of life. It's his duty. For him, however sad it may sound, there are no choices. He's already married to Britain and he has to start putting her before his girlfriend.

So true that is...he's only delaying the imminent, perhaps out of embarrassment that his peers have to address and view him as someone that is above them in class and importance. He's trying to live as his buddies and living without feeling to restrained by protocol. But, it is a matter of time before he will have to force upon those around him that in a pun, "He's the man and that he is more important than they are in their country." In that, he has no choice to begin to live a more strict and restrained lifestyle.:)

Last edited:
Unless, of course, he will one day abdicate the throne. That has also been known to happen.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I see where you are coming from, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. Isn't the whole entity of the monarchy intended to be old-fashioned? I truly think that if the monarchy becomes too modern, it will eventually cease to exist, because it seems people will come to the conclusion that if the royals are as normal as everyone else, they are no longer necessary as a part of the state. But even if the monarchy could stand some modernization, I don't think that the public has little faith in William as king because he isn't "normal." Obviously, I cannot speak for all Brits, but I personally am a touch doubtful not because he's too traditional, but because he seems so damn reluctant to become king. And ultimately, at least to me, while I think issues such as living with a girlfriend could impact the future of the monarchy, I think the far more threatening issue is his

seeming lack of interest in his pre-ordained role.
If I'm not mistaken William is Second in line to the throne behind the Prince of Wales, he's not Next in line.
If he's waiting his turn to be King, shouldn't he be able to live a somewhat normal life within his military career until that time?
(Other than fulfilling his public obligations as a member of the Royal Family)

I truly don't understand why everyone keeps saying the British Monarchy has to be so old fashioned in order to survive? Why are the British people so much less tolerant of their royals than other countries that have monarchies?

I think the BRF is great, and I don't understand what all the fuss is about. There has been a British Royal Family for almost 2 thousand years! Why in the world would anyone want to do away with such a precious tradition, regardless as to HOW individual family members behaved?

It's the 21st century. Oughten the public to expect the Monarchy to change with the times at least a little bit? How long are they supposed to be total anachronisms!
I'm not suggesting that they just become like every other man jack on the street and start getting tatoos, spitting and scratching in public, and eating greasy take away on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, but maybe they could be given a little more leeway.:p
Again, other countries have given their royals a bit of slack, why can't Great Britain do the same, have a little more respect for the institution of the Monarchy, and stop threatening the whole system with annihilation whenever one of the members acts like a human being?:smartass:

TonyaR said:
If I'm not mistaken William is Second in line to the throne behind the Prince of Wales, he's not Next in line...
I hate to be difficult, but seeing as it is in fact our monarchy, a British monarchy, which represents us and which we fund, shouldn't we be able to expect whatever we feel is appropriate? If other nations with monarchies have different expectations, that is of course their right, and it's true that the British seem to have higher expectations, but then that's why the Windsors are the British royals. Ultimately, it makes no difference if the Belgians, the Norwegians, the Swedes, the Danes, the Dutch, the Spanish and certainly not the Americans are happy with them, because we are the people they represent. I'm glad that you love the Windsors, but their purpose is not to please you, but the Brits.

And as to abolishing the monarchy because of certain individuals, well, that is quite a long-standing tradition as well. Many believe that the reason Edward abdicated is that his advisors told him that if he married Wallis, the monarchy might not survive. Furthermore, I think that the issue of the woman he ultimately chooses to wed, and how he behaves about it are far more important ones than scratching in public. Many find the idea of a future head of the Church of England living with his girlfriend before marriage to be incompatible, but I highly doubt that spitting is morally repugnant.

Finally, you bring up the point that William is second in line to the throne - a completely accurate observation, but I have to disagree with your analysis. It's not as though his behaviour before he is actually crowned doesn't count. He is waiting to be king - I don't see how he could expect to live a normal life - by definition, being second in line to the throne makes you abnormal. He cannot live however he likes up to the very moment he enters the Abbey...he may be the heir to the heir, but that has it's own duties and doesn't, I'm afraid, allow for much normalcy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there actual proof that they live together even if only on the weekend?

As a traditionalist, it doesn't sit well with me, but I guess this is part of the progression of life....and of the Royal Family. Living together is living together no matter how often he is away from the residential abode, in my view.

kpusa1981 said:
Is there actual proof that they live together even if only on the weekend?

exactly! I don't think they are actually living together. there was all this talk a few months ago that it was gonig to happen but I don't believe it ever has.

He splits his time between Sandhurst and Clarence house and she lives with her parents.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I hate to be difficult, but seeing as it is in fact our monarchy, a British monarchy, which represents us and which we fund, shouldn't we be able to expect whatever we feel is appropriate?
HRH Elizabeth,

You're not being difficult, you are being honest :) and it's hard to argue with the facts: It is your monachy, and you (the British Public) should be able to expect what you feel is appropriate.

My question is, why are you so rigid and adamant in your expectations of strict behaviour that you would be willing to abolish a millenia-old tradition?

Your monarchy is one of the oldest and most admired in the world (and the most romanticized :flowers: ). Whole portions of world history are built around it!
It would be a terrible tragedy to lose something so precious, The British Monarchy has actually helped to shape and define the world as we know it.

I'll admit (and of course it's because I'm not British) I'm not able to understand this callous attitude that seems to say " if you Windsors don't totally toe the line, we'll abolish the whole lot of you and become just like every other country, even if we have to do away with all of our traditions to do it":sad:

HRH Elizabeth said:
Finally, you bring up the point that William is second in line to the throne - a completely accurate observation, but I have to disagree with your analysis. It's not as though his behaviour before he is actually crowned doesn't count. He is waiting to be king - I don't see how he could expect to live a normal life - by definition, being second in line to the throne makes you abnormal. He cannot live however he likes up to the very moment he enters the Abbey...he may be the heir to the heir, but that has it's own duties and doesn't, I'm afraid, allow for much normalcy.

At the end of the william is still a human being - made of bone, flesh and blood like all of us - so he too has feelings and emotions etc. Of course he will never be "normal" like any one of us but there are choices he will want to make about his life and at the end of the day it is his. Fair enough he has to except that he has royal duties and that the monarchy represents Britain so the choices that he chooses make shouldn't completely ignore the monarchy. Yet, he wants to live his life similarly to any other young man in Britain and the majority of young couple share a house at the age he is. Also, he lived with Kate whilst they were in Scotland so why should the rule differ now? However i totally agree that his behaviour now should be very close to how he react when he becomes heir and eventually King, but at the end of the day being Prince could be looked at more of a job (although that isn't technically true) and he can still have some normality despite his official duties.

Last edited:
TonyaR said:
HRH Elizabeth, You're not being difficult, you are being honest ...
Oh, I was speaking hypothetically...I am an ardent monarchist and as much as some of the members annoy me, I love the institution. However, not all Brits agree with me and some would be happy to see it go, and some behaviours might give people the nudge they needed to lean towards that side. I also think though that the high expectations of the British people are another important tradition...keeps them on their well-heeled toes. When Henry VII acceeded, he passed an Act of Attainter against Richard III and his men, acusing Richard's soldiers of treason for fighting at Bosworth by dating his reign from the day before Bosworth. Parliament didn't much like that and effectively forced him to rescind that portion.
I don't actually think that William will marry some girl, and the next day get a little note from Parliament saying, "Sorry, we no longer need your services." But the trend around the world is to move away from monarchies, even in some of our fellow Commonwealth nations (Australia, etc.) and I think that the behaviour of the royals could be an indirect and long-term cause of the British to move towards a republic. I think also (I know I'm guilty of this) that many people feel that it's better to loose a tradition than keep it incorrectly...I feel as though if we give up strict behavioural expectations of our royals, we might end up with something close to Monaco...scandals everywhere! I really love the institution of the monarchy, and I truly respect the Queen for a nearly flawless reign. However I worry, especially when I see William, Harry, and Beatrice, that we're in for a future of a royal family who utilizes all the perks of being royal but takes on few of the responsibilities. It might only cost 61 pence a year, but I don't want to spend it on a family who doesn't at least endeavour to earn it. As long as they're trying (I mean, Charles isn't exactly Mr. Perfect, but he's a loveable dolt and he does a lot of undersung good for us), I keep up some hope. But as we've discussed, I don't see William and Harry trying that much and I do see them jetting off on wonderful vacations and in Harry's case, dating a completely unacceptable woman. I know my standards for people are often too high, so I try to supplement it by being forgiving-I'll admit, however, that I absolutely expect more from my royal family than this generation is showing me.

HRH Elizabeth said:
Oh, I was speaking hypothetically...
HRH Elizabeth,

Thank you for that explanation, it makes lots of sense. Thank you also for being patient with me and my point of view, since I am not British I know I don't have the right to speak for the people.

I read something about Prince William on this website: http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/Windsor/William.html it gives a lot of information, and at the end is a statement William made regarding how he feels about taking the throne. It made me smile, I hope it does you also.

TonyaR said:
HRH Elizabeth,

Thank you for that explanation, it makes lots of sense. Thank you also for being patient with me and my point of view, since I am not British I know I don't have the right to speak for the people.

I read something about Prince William on this website: http://www.royalty.nu/Europe/England/Windsor/William.html it gives a lot of information, and at the end is a statement William made regarding how he feels about taking the throne. It made me smile, I hope it does you also.

I'm glad it makes sense and that it came out as diplomatically as I hoped...I understand exactly what you mean as well and I hope you keep sharing your non-British opinion because I enjoy hearing your points even though I don't quite agree.

HRH Elizabeth said:
Oh, I was speaking hypothetically...
I can see exactly where you are coming from on this one and agree 100%! But the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway lived in a flat in Oslo prior to their marriage, which was completly frowned upon by the vast majority, and is totally against the religion which he will become head of state when his father ends his rule as king. But what harm did this do - except some negative press at the time - the couple are highly respected and are a great asset to the human family. Also, Beatrice has only just left school so cannot be expected to have carried out a high number of official duties and William is still training at Sandhurst so I'm sure you'll agree that he has the right to a break on holiday for a bit (although it was rather extravagant). I am unsure of what Harry is doing at the moment, I know there has been some stuff in the news about him going to Iraq but that seem to have blown over - so maybe he should be doing a little more to promote our monarchy and win back some of the wandering citizens.

HRH Elizabeth said:
...shouldn't we be able to expect whatever we feel is appropriate?
I agree with you. Afterall, I believe I read this somewhere, that one of the things the Queen asks the British PM is how the British people think about this or that. She appears to know that it is important to please the people who fund the monarchy, so the monarchy must reach and obtain higher standards. Afterall, they are not the 'normal' next-door neighbor that booze in front of the telie in their undershirts and undershorts. There is a formal and informal air that they must follow or their minders are not doing their jobs for which they are getting paid for. The monarchy must retain tradition and must be above the norm in presenting the best of what one can become.

The new generation of princesses and princes in their worn/torn/grundge wear also need to get up to standard. They are not the boys/girls next door. There are expectations. It appears that many recent photos of the younger royals are of them rumping around like drunks & urban thugs. Enough of that, too. A recent photo of QE on her sail around the Outer Hebrides with her family of her neice/nephews and their families, grandson & his girlfriend and her own children and grandchildren were all dressed perfectly to join the Queen. They looked the part. Most of the time, PW & PH do not look the part of princes.:)

Rose1991 said:
I can see exactly where you are coming from on this one ...
I can't argue with the facts you mention, only our interpretations of them. I do not expect William, Harry or Beatrice to have saved the world, cured AIDS or anything else of the sort. However, Beatrice has accompanied her mother to rather a lot of high profile but ever so slightly less than genteel society events, and according to the gossips, dated a man with a criminal record, neither of which are terribly inspiring. Harry has not performed many official duties to my knowledge, but has found the time to be photographed with illegal substances and date the daughter of a man who collaborates with one of Africa's worst dictators. Charming. And while William has performed royal duties, in my opinion at 23 he could be doing more.

As for the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway, I couldn't speak as to what harm it caused...I'm not a Norwegian subject. If it works for Norway, than my standards of behaviour are completely irrelevant. But I have to admit, while I am not opposed to commoner brides (as far as I can tell, Mary of Denmark seems to be doing wonderfully), Mette Marit is, to me, an extraordinarly common one. Had it been William and not Haakon she was seeing (putting the age difference aside), I would have had a fit. I hope I never see someone with her history as my queen, not because her work for Norway has been unacceptable - to the contrary, she seems to have performed her duties admirably - but simply because I do not think that a woman who has had a child out of wedlock with a man involved in drugs is an acceptable consort. I'm pleased that it has worked out for Norway, but...

HRH Kimetha said:
... I believe I read this somewhere, that one of the things the Queen asks the British PM is how the British people think about this or that.
I knew there was a reason that HM has always been my favourite:)!

HRH Elizabeth- having read this thread I would agree with your comments. I think the problem that a lot of royal fans have in looking for a change in a monarchy, is the fact that too many royal today behave and are treated like celebrities. A celebrity can be a normal person ( though remember they have usually worked for their position) but Queen Elizabeth- our Queen too- is part of a constitutional democracy. She is not there even for the ribbon cutting but to have the meetings with her Prime Minister every week- and Harold Wilson's acknowledgement of his embarrassment discovering his lack of knowledge compared to the Queen at their first meeting, shows how significant the British monarch is. She has her red boxes full of government documents that she read and deals with every day, including all holidays, because that was her vow to her people and she is regularly updated with what is going on in her Commonwealth countries. The Queen still has her Royal Prerogative-an important source of power within the UK constitution. All of these things are not seen by the public abroad, unfortunately they think of ribbon cutting and charities, but these are facts and known by many Brits. The Queen is the Head of State not a celebrity which is what many of the younger royals appear to be, and which, in my opinion, will create devolution in their respective monarchies. I think her children are also doing fine jobs - fine examples to other royals , but the grandchildren, who knows? Elizabeth was Queen at 26 and was already involved in royal duties. We don't see that happening now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom