The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Courtier

Thank you everyone for all of the information

Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Farmer William takes to the land:
Farmer William takes to the land | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator

All posts regarding William's participation in the Investiture on behalf of the Queen, should be discussed in his Current Events thread.

In addition, all posts about William and Catherine expanding their family have been deleted as speculative.

Any and all questions, should be directed to a member of the moderation team via Private Message.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

We have seen quite a lot of forthcoming engagements being announced for Prince William. Interestingly, most of them seem to be related to either existing charitable causes supported by William, or other duties in support of HM. Do people still feel he is having a gap year?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
We have seen quite a lot of forthcoming engagements being announced for Prince William. Interestingly, most of them seem to be related to either existing charitable causes supported by William, or other duties in support of HM. Do people still feel he is having a gap year?
William is having more of a transitional year methinks. The press that used the term "gap year" has put it in the minds of folks that it's going to be a year off and just enjoying life where in reality, is far from the truth.

He's going to be sticking his fingers in a whole bunch of pies as well as working more closely with his own charities. He may not have an engagement book filled to the max as a working royal quite yet, but he's sure going to be getting the feel of being one.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
William is having more of a transitional year methinks. The press that used the term "gap year" has put it in the minds of folks that it's going to be a year off and just enjoying life where in reality, is far from the truth.

He's going to be sticking his fingers in a whole bunch of pies as well as working more closely with his own charities. He may not have an engagement book filled to the max as a working royal quite yet, but he's sure going to be getting the feel of being one.
I have to agree Osipi. The term "gap year" was not the best choice of words.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I have to agree Osipi. The term "gap year" was not the best choice of words.
I completely agree with you both. The Press Release from KP was pretty clear that it was a transitional year, but certain sections of the Press took it upon themselves to interpret it as a gap year. I suspect to counter any negative messages, KP may have decided to make a flurry of announcements of forthcoming engagements
Old 11-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Gap" and "Transitional" are almost interchangeable, although I think transitional is more fitting for a 30-something who has already had a job.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

I have to agree. Transitional is a much better word to use. Gap year reminds me of a high school student taking time to decide whether or not they are going to college or taking a break before they begin college.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Royal Highness

I prefer "non-gap" year. It leaves everyone equally satisfied/dissatisfied without knowing quite why.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Majesty

William’s land lessons to help Charles pass the duchy:
THE Duke of Cambridge is planning to study land management, providing him with the skills to take over his father’s Duchy of Cornwall estate-
William

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I would like to see William get more involved with the Prince's Trust as well.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Courtier

I think this is the correct forum for a link to an article discussing how Prince William is devoting some time to learning more about the Duchy of Cornwall.

Prince Charles prepares to pass the duchy to Prince William - Telegraph
Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Aristocracy

I am impressed with how the couple have gradually increased their roles and responsibilities since William left the RAF and they had their baby.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I am impressed with how the couple have gradually increased their roles and responsibilities since William left the RAF and they had their baby.
I really am too. TBH, when it was stated that this would be a transitional year for William, I really did expect fewer engagements than he has already done. Perhaps its not an everyday engagement portfolio quite yet but he has been doing more than I expected.

I can really see both William and Kate becoming very comfortable in their roles and enjoy doing them.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I really am too. TBH, when it was stated that this would be a transitional year for William, I really did expect fewer engagements than he has already done. Perhaps its not an everyday engagement portfolio quite yet but he has been doing more than I expected.

I can really see both William and Kate becoming very comfortable in their roles and enjoy doing them.
You're absolutely correct. Also, it helps that they don't have too many organizations on their list of patronages just yet. They're able to focus on what they really feel strongly about, and be more hands-on. I'm sure that as time goes on, they'll have a lot more patronages, and therefore, it'll be more difficult to be as involved with each one, as they're now, but for the present, they're doing great, and it's a pleasure to see them in action.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would like to see William get more involved with the Prince's Trust as well.

I wonder if maybe after Charles becomes king if the Prince's trust might merge with the royal foundation. That would make sense to me.

Then the royal foundation could serve as an umbrella organization for all of the charity work of the main royal family going forward.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

William is going back to college; a 10 week course on Agricultural Management at Cambridge

Prince William to become a full-time student again for 10 weeks | Royal | News | Daily Express

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
William is going back to college; a 10 week course on Agricultural Management at Cambridge

Prince William to become a full-time student again for 10 weeks | Royal | News | Daily Express
Agriculture will always be a part of a nation. IMO it's a wise plan to have him be familiarized with different aspects of the UK's economy. William is likely to be in his position as heir-to-the-heir for a long time. Best to utilize this time as much as possible.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Majesty

Well, this is very nice to hear and I wish him the best of luck in this course. I can also see him taking over the Duke of Edinburgh's role as Ranger of Windsor Great Park.

Dr. Maya Angelou