The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Thanks for the link but I remember the reaction of Catherine and Harry when William wore the cloak and hat for the first time- (2009?)-and the looks he gave them. At the time, I remember thinking: "If William keeps a list of things he will change as King, this was going to be the first item." He didn't look like he was enjoying himself.
You seen the outfit? Who would enjoy themselves wearing and walking in that outfit, in the heat? Nobody. Tradition is tradition. I imagine if Harry is married when he is a member of the Order of the Garter his partner or wife will look at him the same way Catherine looked at William.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
I thought that the only people that carry out investitures are royal family members, not their spouses. The only current royals I think have done this are HMQ, Charles, Anne and (abroad) Prince Andrew.

Investitures are not carried out in "pairs" either - with spouse standing by.

I dont think that QEQM or Prince PHilip have ever undertaken this role.

Can someone confirm that, or not?

EDIT: only info from Royal.gov

"An Investiture is a very special day when an individual who has been awarded an honour receives their award in person from The Queen, The Prince of Wales or occasionally The Duke of Cambridge or The Princess Royal."
QETQM performed at least one when The King was abroad. VictoriaB wrote about it early up the page. The royal website doesn't say that an investiture has to be carried out by a born royal. Whilst investitures aren't carried out in pairs, if the option arose and Catherine were to perform and investiture on her own when she is Queen Consort for instance to one of her patronage members. I see no issue with it.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

my fault for not scrolling back a couple of pages - oops

Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 PM
Majesty

The situation with The Queen Mum was the lack of others to do so - Princess Elizabeth was under age, Prince George dead and both Prince Henry and The King overseas at the time, I believe.

For Catherine to be doing this would mean all the other born royals are dead.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

My apologies for the confusion. Since this is not my usual territory I overlooked the existing thread. For now the two threads about William's future roles and duties have been merged.

Posts discussing the problem of having multiple threads & the purpose of this thread have been removed. Feel free to send us a PM when the present situation is still confusing.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I just fell into this - dated 1989 and a look forward for the Future William. Fascinating, even if it is People. They wrote more than 100 words on a topic, back then. Happy Birthday, Prince Charming - Birthdays, The British Royals, Prince Charles, Prince William, Princess Diana : People.com
Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

Martin ‏@WindsorEditor 2h
After success of tour, Palace say an announcement on P. William’s new public service role is to be made soon. No full time royal duties yet!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Martin ‏@WindsorEditor 2h
After success of tour, Palace say an announcement on P. William’s new public service role is to be made soon. No full time royal duties yet!
William seems to be a Princess Beatrice-level royal - having his own life while doing a handful of engagements here and there.

I see no reason why he can't just be a full time royal - this could still include several month long periods of holidays throughout the year.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I see no reason why he can't just be a full time royal - this could still include several month long periods of holidays throughout the year.
The reason I believe that William is not now a full time working royal and probably won't be for a while is because that is what HM and the Firm have planned for him. When you think about it, William is really a full time royal but its not duties and engagements that are the focus but learning various aspects of royal life that he will have to be familiar with as he progresses closer to his role as King. I think he fully understands the military aspect after serving actively, he's taken land management to better understand his duties to the Duchy of Cornwall and now perhaps a stint in the Foreign Office to better understand diplomacy and relations between other countries and the Commonwealth (and could possibly include State Banquets).

I think the Firm is more concerned with William being prepared for his future and the roles they entail rather than public appearances right now. We have to remember also that HM and even Charles are no longer spring chickens and the more William is prepared, the better off he'll be.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Royal Highness

^^^ Agreed Osipsi. Also I believe that HM prefers to have her children and cousins performing royal duties at this time rather than her grandchildren.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The reason I believe that William is not now a full time working royal and probably won't be for a while is because that is what HM and the Firm have planned for him. When you think about it, William is really a full time royal but its not duties and engagements that are the focus but learning various aspects of royal life that he will have to be familiar with as he progresses closer to his role as King. I think he fully understands the military aspect after serving actively, he's taken land management to better understand his duties to the Duchy of Cornwall and now perhaps a stint in the Foreign Office to better understand diplomacy and relations between other countries and the Commonwealth (and could possibly include State Banquets).

I think the Firm is more concerned with William being prepared for his future and the roles they entail rather than public appearances right now. We have to remember also that HM and even Charles are no longer spring chickens and the more William is prepared, the better off he'll be.

Spot on assessment. As HMQ said herself "IT's amazing what you can do with the right training". She believed she had that and it included a lot of time on constitutional matters and background that no one sees on the day to day.

Iceberg principle - royal engagements 10% ( the stuff we see); 90% of preparation, politics (understanding the relationship in particular) and foreign and commonwealth affairs.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Majesty

The fact that William & Catherine attended the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps last year and most likely will attend again this year, I think they will step up and start attending State Events for now on. I get the feeling had they not been on their way to Australia & New Zealand, I think the Cambridge's would've attended the Irish State Visit last month.

Them attending events like that and increasing their official engagements is what gives the Cambridge's the experience they will need for their future roles as Prince & Princess of Wales and future King & Queen.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The fact that William & Catherine attended the Reception for the Royal Diplomatic Corps last year and most likely will attend again this year, I think they will step up and start attending State Events for now on. I get the feeling had they not been on their way to Australia & New Zealand, I think the Cambridge's would've attended the Irish State Visit last month.

Them attending events like that and increasing their official engagements is what gives the Cambridge's the experience they will need for their future roles as Prince & Princess of Wales and future King & Queen.
Why did Harry not attend the banquet for the Irish President?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Harry don't attend State events like that. He's also not a full-time working senior royal.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
The perfect royal family seat holder at a state banquet is able to engage those around them in conversation that those surrounding them find pleasurable. And conversation about the seat holders around one.
Not that I think Harry can't do this, but he is still a dashing young guy in a full time military position. I think often, people ask him questions, rather than the other way around. Heck, I'd ask him about his duty in Helman and out of Camp Bastian and I'd want to know his version of what Lesotho is like and how to fix it.
At some point, like Edward, he will slow down and grow into this - but for now, I think Harry as he is has a niche that we all like. It's just not perfectly suited to a state dinner. Yet.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Serene Highness

Harry isn't going attend a state dinner before the Cambridges. Singapore is coming to the UK this October for a state visit. I would think that William & Kate could attend this one since they just visited there in 2012.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
The perfect royal family seat holder at a state banquet is able to engage those around them in conversation that those surrounding them find pleasurable. And conversation about the seat holders around one.
Not that I think Harry can't do this, but he is still a dashing young guy in a full time military position. I think often, people ask him questions, rather than the other way around. Heck, I'd ask him about his duty in Helman and out of Camp Bastian and I'd want to know his version of what Lesotho is like and how to fix it.
At some point, like Edward, he will slow down and grow into this - but for now, I think Harry as he is has a niche that we all like. It's just not perfectly suited to a state dinner. Yet.
They are taught that sort of thing - especially at Sandhurst. It's expected of officers.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Majesty

Many of the rumors and options-

William eyes new job in the sky-
William eyes new job in the sky | The Sunday Times

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-25-2014, 01:39 AM
Courtier

Wonderful that he still wants to fly as that seems a passion for him. It will be less dangerous then what he did in Wales, yet he will still be helping people and doing what he loves. Being a young yet, he should have the time to do this before his life is taken up with all the royal duties that lie ahead of him in the future. A fulfilled husband also means that a more happy family life with wife and children. Glad to see that his father approves of this and the Queen. Nice going Prince William!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Serene Highness

I think i will wait for the announcement from Clarence House first. The Times Royal reporter has not been the most accurate. She was the one that listed George's godparents before the day- most were wrong also she reported that William was going to leave the RAF and go back to the Household Calvary-Also wrong.

From the website of the East Anglia Air Ambulance, the helicopter they use only has one pilot. Wasn't one of the reasons, he left the RAF was the shift work made royal duties more difficult. He would have to work shifts again with the ambulance because it would have to be manned 24/7/365. It would have been easier if he just stayed in the RAF and went to the SAR base in Suffolk until the outsourced.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I think i will wait for the announcement from Clarence House first. The Times Royal reporter has not been the most accurate. She was the one that listed George's godparents before the day- most were wrong also she reported that William was going to leave the RAF and go back to the Household Calvary-Also wrong.

From the website of the East Anglia Air Ambulance, the helicopter they use only has one pilot. Wasn't one of the reasons, he left the RAF was the shift work made royal duties more difficult. He would have to work shifts again with the ambulance because it would have to be manned 24/7/365. It would have been easier if he just stayed in the RAF and went to the SAR base in Suffolk until the outsourced.
Never heard that before. The reason given in the UK is that his 3 year secondment was at an end. Choices were to stay (but SAR is being privatised so that was not possible); return to the army; or leave.

The airbases for EAAA are at Cambridge and Norwich - within easy reach of Anmer (and a lot closer that Wattisham in Suffolk). It is a charity so that is in line with supporting such causes.

Shifts are 10 hour rota on 5 days on and 3 days off.

It makes sense but I too am waiting on a formal announcement.