Duke of Cambridge: What Now for William? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that's tacky!

First you dismiss HRH Princess Alexandra as "a minor royal", stripping her of the respect owed to her as a Princess of the blood, and being the Queen's cousin to boot.

The you decide she's passed her use-by date and decide to reward an exceptionally hardworking Princess Alexandra, for a lifetime of service to the throne and to the Queen, by giving her the shove so Catherine can add yet another little sparkler to her little posey of chores.

What is wrong with you people. You think Catherine needs more gravitas and you are right. But this is hardly the way to go about it.

The cult of youth at the expense of everyone else is very ugly and totally unappealing. And, just as an aside, I don't see Catherine bringing a great deal of press attention any of her very worthy causes to date.

MARG, I couldn't agree more.

I don't think anyone is calling for the Kents or Gloucesters being stripped of their status but unlike the Queen and Philip they don't have to do royal engagements until they die unless they want too.

I think that it was being pointed out that Kate seems like the natural person to take over the patronage for the Starlight Foundation in the future like it was a perfect fit for William to take the FA position.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The idea, suddenly, that Charles can't afford for Will and Kate to take on royal duties really flies in the face of the September, 2013 statement on what Will is to do next:

Press release

I don't believe this is the reason. I think the reason is that Will stomped his foot at the idea of becoming a full time royal.

The funding issue isn't a rumour nor does it come from some anonymous royal "source". It was directly stated by Charles principal Private Secretary William Nye. Straight from the horses mouth.

To blame William for the fact he must rely on his father for money as the government doesn't fund him is typical of many.

Oh, that's tacky!

First you dismiss HRH Princess Alexandra as "a minor royal", stripping her of the respect owed to her as a Princess of the blood, and being the Queen's cousin to boot.

The you decide she's passed her use-by date and decide to reward an exceptionally hardworking Princess Alexandra, for a lifetime of service to the throne and to the Queen, by giving her the shove so Catherine can add yet another little sparkler to her little posey of chores.

What is wrong with you people. You think Catherine needs more gravitas and you are right. But this is hardly the way to go about it.

The cult of youth at the expense of everyone else is very ugly and totally unappealing. And, just as an aside, I don't see Catherine bringing a great deal of press attention any of her very worthy causes to date.

You don't know what you're talking about but whatever.

Right now William, Kate and Harry are doing around 400 engagement combined. If they went to 500 per year each as full time, that is an additional 1100 engagement to fund. That's more staff, more travel cost, more clothing, etc. The money would have to come from somewhere. The Duchy of Cornwall profit's are only so much. So the easiest solution is for William, Kate and Harry to stay part time until the Queen's death. William becomes Duke of Cornwall which pays for his family, Harry gets funded by Charles as with money from Duchy of Lancaster.

^^^And this could be a likely scenario or HM may choose to curtail many of her duties when the DoE ends his royal engagements. While royal watchers and the press enjoy seeing the younger royals out doing public engagements, they are expensive.

The Queen does a lot of her engagements at the palaces meeting ambassadors, officials, hosting receptions, etc. She isn't really doing a lot of traveling when you compare her to Anne or Charles. The meetings still would have to be done by someone most likely Charles.

Right now William, Kate and Harry are doing around 400 engagement combined. If they went to 500 per year each as full time, that is an additional 1100 engagement to fund. That's more staff, more travel cost, more clothing, etc. The money would have to come from somewhere. The Duchy of Cornwall profit's are only so much. So the easiest solution is for William, Kate and Harry to stay part time until the Queen's death. William becomes Duke of Cornwall which pays for his family, Harry gets funded by Charles as with money from Duchy of Lancaster.

According to Ilvebertie's number from 2013, William, Kate and Harry's numbers total only 167.

No one is asking for 500 per year from each. If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate.

No one is asking for Harry to go full time, he can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

The staff is already there that is why there was an expectation of the Cambridges going full time.

Why do they need more clothes?
Camilla wears the same thing every few weeks. Charles wears the same clothes from 20 years ago. Princess Anne still wears the clothes from 40 years ago.

Last edited:
2013 is probably not a good year for engagement number comparison with Kate being pregnant for over half of it and no Cambridge overseas tour. 2014 WK&H are at 274 from the latest numbers post. Nov and early Dec is usually pretty active engagement wise and now that Kate is feeling better the numbers will go up.

:previous: Our expectations do not dictate the actions of Her Majesty or the actions she requires of those who serve her and her realm.

And I am tired of hearing about this particular demand. IMHO.

According to Ilvebertie's number from 2013, William, Kate and Harry's numbers total only 167.

No one is asking for 500 per year from each. If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate.

No is asking for Harry to go full time, he can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

The staff is already there that is why there was an expectation of the Cambridges going full time.

Camilla wears the same thing every few weeks. Charles wears the same clothes from 20 years ago. Princess Anne still wears the clothes from 40 years ago.

I wouldn't mind seeing W&K do around 200-250 engagements a year. I think that's a good number for part-time royals. I have to disagree about Harry though. I think he would need to up his engagements to more than just the low 100's.

Here's a question though. If Kate starts doing 250 a year, do you think Camilla should up her engagements too? She tends to do between 250-280, so I imagine it wouldn't look right to have Kate doing the same number of engagements as the next Queen consort.

Charles does wear some of the same suits and shoes that he wore 20 or so years ago, but its not like that's all he wears. He still purchases new shoes, shirts, etc. Not to mention his clothes are in no way cheap. He spends serious money on what he wears.

And I like Anne, but a lot of the stuff she wears looks like it was purchased 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely. If William, Harry, and Kate were middle-aged, short, and average looking, would there be all this clamoring for appearances????

The cult of youth at the expense of everyone else is very ugly and totally unappealing.

I just checked bertie's numbers. Camilla has done 175 engagements as of today, this puts her in ninth position in the CC. Sophie has done 100 more engagements and Charles has done over 200 more than his wife. Only 55 engagements separate Camilla and William.

If Kate start doing 250 engagements, Camilla has to start doing more. 400-500 a year would be good like Anne and Charles does. It already looks bad imo that Sophie does more than the Princess of Wales

The cult of youth and beauty is not a new thing. Part of Princess Diana's popularity was based on youth and beauty. When Prince George and his siblings get older, William, Kate and the younger royals will experience the same thing. People will be saying, why does Princess Beatrice have to give up her position for George's wife.

I agree about Camilla. If Kate and William have to up their engagements, then Camilla has to start doing more too.

Last edited:

No is asking for Harry to go full time, he can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

William and Harry have been recycling suits for years. Kate recycles as well, but since this pregnancy is during different seasons, she is likely going to need different maternity wear during the late winter when she's in her third trimester. Last time her third trimester was during the late spring into summer.

As for George, well he's definitely going to be adding to his wardrobe every few months.

Yes, absolutely. If William, Harry, and Kate were middle-aged, short, and average looking, would there be all this clamoring for appearances????

All three of them are now over 30 and therefore dangerously close to being middle aged. William is certainly past his prime in the looks department, and close examination of recent photos show that Harry is rapidly following. I consider that both of them are only average looking though Harry has the benefit of a sparkling personality, which his brother lacks. And once the middle-aged spread sets in, neither of them will be anywhere near as appealing.

If Kate start doing 250 engagements, Camilla has to start doing more. 400-500 a year would be good like Anne and Charles does. It already looks bad imo that Sophie does more than the Princess of Wales

The previous Princess of Wales never performed 400 engagements and she was working for herself, her husband and the future of her children and her descendants. Except for 3 years, she consistently performed under 300 engagement per year, while her sister-in-law, Princess Anne was averaging 700 per year.

Camilla only works for herself and her husband.

To go by your own measurements to match Princess Anne, the previous Princess of Wales should have to been doing at least 800 engagement per year. She failed considerably short of expectation.

Last edited:
If she has to do 800 engagements per year so be it. She should be doing more than Sophie does

If after almost ten years of marriage to the Prince of Wales, Camilla is allowed to be in ninth position in the CC behind all the Queen's children and spouses including her cousin the Duke of Gloucester I don't understand why all the hoopla over W&K.

William is only 55 behind Camilla. If he was full-time he would leave her in his dust.

You don't know what you're talking about but whatever.
Oh, now I understand. Anyone that disagrees with your point of view over William and Catherine must be treated to a wonderful display of abuse in the (vain) hope that they will shut up and agree with your point of view.

Might I remind you that this is a forum and not a dictator ship. If you believe I do not know what I am talking about, then by all means please elucidate. However, I am a little confused as you failed to finish your post. "but whatever" what?

The previous Princess of Wales never performed 400 engagements and she was working for herself, her husband and the future of her children and her descendants. Except for 3 years, she consistently performed under 300 engagement per year, while her sister-in-law, Princess Anne was averaging 700 per year.

Camilla only works for herself and her husband.

To go by your own measurements to match Princess Anne, the previous Princess of Wales should have to been doing at least 800 engagement per year. She failed considerably short of expectation.

Princess Anne has taken on a great deal of responsibility over the years. On top of her own work, The Queen & Duke of Edinbrugh and The Queen Mother would give Anne roles and pass down or recommend other charitable organizations. Anne takes on what interest her and the workload that she feels comfortable with. So no, the late Princess of Wales didnt fail short of expectations. She was a very hard working future Queen. Anne just have a much heavier workload. She even took on more duties once the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died.

If she has to do 800 engagements per year so be it. She should be doing more than Sophie does

You misread. The previous Princess of Wales should have been doing 800 engagements per year.

The previous POW ranked in 6-8 place during her prime years. (Andrew & Edward were still part time & Sophie had not joined.)

Princess Anne has taken on a great deal of responsibility over the years. On top of her own work, The Queen & Duke of Edinbrugh and The Queen Mother would give Anne roles and pass down or recommend other charitable organizations. Anne takes on what interest her and the workload that she feels comfortable with. So no, the late Princess of Wales didnt fail short of expectations. She was a very hard working future Queen. Anne just have a much heavier workload. She even took on more duties once the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret died.

That is my point. Princess Anne always worked more than the wife of the POW. Her numbers exceeded the previous Princess of Wales nearly 3 to 1.

So if the previous POW ranked in 6-8th place and the current one ranks in 6-9th position, then what's the uproar about Kate's engagement count? Why should she be doing more than the next Queen consort?

Last edited:
Kate should be entitled to start a family and raise her children in the manner she and William see fit.
When Camilla married Charles she had no other obligations than becoming a working royal. Kate has a young family at home.

It appears several people have misread some posts or skipped some and have misunderstood the responses.

We were not suggesting an increase in Catherine duties.

The discussion was about the Duchy of Cornwall not being able to handle William, Harry & Catherine going full time.

Skippyboo made the comment that the finances could not cover William, Catherine & Harry each doing 500 engagements a year and I responded suggesting:

If full time 350-400 from William until he is POW; 250-300 for Kate. Harry can remain part time throughout his life. Harry can stay in the low 100s.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me but perhaps we're focusing on the fact that it is the numbers of engagements done that matter? Perhaps the Firm doesn't see it quite that way and prefers to match up certain royals with certain interests? Its my thought that the Firm would aim for quality over quantity.

Many times a royal too will spend the day doing various engagements. Stop off at a bookstore, go to a luncheon and a garden show in the afternoon. That's 3 in one day.
Even though the number of engagements for that royal jumped up 3, does it in any way lessen the contribution made by another royal that only had 1 engagement that day?

The numbers of the engagements do not tell the whole story about the involvement of the royals in the Firm. Its an indication, yes, but not the whole picture.

Just my observation is all.

:previous: Well said. the main reason given by the R Household for not publishing data on royal engagements is that it is turned into a league table/ competition which is wrong.

And that list does not reflect all the work done. A good example is HMQ. Travels less, does fewer engagements "out and about" but at the weekend has the largest red box of the week which holds more detailed papers, usually requiiring response/signature. We dont see any of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom