The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been revealed Prince William has been secretly shadowing Britain’s top spies for the last 3 weeks

The Duke of Cambridge embedded with agents from MI5, MI6 and @GCHQ

I hear he also saw live operations against terrorist cells in the UK and against Islamic State in Syria

Via Chris Ship Twitter

Reactions: eya
I don't understand why William would be shadowing MI5. Then I looked up powers of the sovereign. The monarch is commander in chief of the UK armed forces as it were but can declare war without Parliament's consent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pow...ms-tmobile-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

How is this reign but does not rule? This doesn't sound like a ceremonial role.

It’s essentially a ceremonial role in practice but not in theory. My understanding is that the majority of executive, judicial and military functions in the UK are done in the monarch’s name but almost none of them are done as a result of a decision the monarch has personally made.

It would be unthinkable for the future King William to attempt to actually direct a decision making process involving the British military or intelligence services. Him doing something along those lines is probably the only thing that could seriously threaten the stability of the British monarchy. But I think it’s still important for him to have a passing familiarity with as many sections of British society as possible.

And really, what a cool and interesting way to spend three weeks!

It seems very interesting to me. William is going to be head of state and so it is important that he knows these institutions closely. Note that the royal house is preparing William well for the role of King.

Interesting. Seems like a fascinating few weeks with memories and knowledge to carry for a lifetime.

The Duke of Cambridge today completed three weeks’ concentrated attendance since 18th March with the Secret Intelligence Service and Security Service in London, and Government Communications Headquarters in Cheltenham and London

Court Circular || 5th April 2019

“I can’t think of any historical comparison to this, it is truly a unique event of the greatest importance.

It links together the security of our realm and the Crown and underscores the importance that the delivery of national security is to the whole of the country, not just the political class.

That the second-in-line to the throne wants to have proper first hand knowledge of how our intelligence services work is very significant.

It puts the Royal Family where they should be, on the side of our security community."

- Prof Anthony Glees, director of the University of Buckingham’s Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies

Last edited:
Interesting observation from Professor Glees. I would be interested in a fuller view of his opinion.

I would imagine that shadowing the SIS and security and communications groups must have been as exciting for William as actually being a Storm Trooper was. All part and parcel of "Being King 101" training. :D

Although HM, The Queen does not play a role in the decisions when it comes to national security, she most certainly is informed of everything dealing with it. I believe a lot of those papers that come in her red boxes sometimes contain classified information. The Queen is always informed of everything affecting her realm and when the time comes, so will William.

Last edited:
From Richard Palmer

"No. It’s a story that Kensington Palace gave to Britain’s Sunday newspapers. Palace officials wanted it known."

Kind of surprised they wanted it out. Would think this would be more of a private thing.

“Having The Duke of Cambridge spend time with our teams was an incredible opportunity. William worked exceptionally hard to embed himself in the team and comfortably held his own amongst some highly skilled analysts and operators.

His Royal Highness asked some probing questions and demonstrated a real grasp of our mission."

“This was a rare opportunity to expose in detail the technical ingenuity and problem-solving skills needed on a daily basis to help keep the UK safe.”

- GCHQ head of counter-terrorism operations, known only as 'David'

I saw this earlier, but didn't want to comment for fear of not viewing it in context. Was this really a tourist's photo? And if the answer is yes, then you right, KP has A LOT of explaining to do.

Yes, it's a tourist picture.

Last edited:
I got this from another forum.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/somaliland-puntland-and-somalia/somaliland/hargeisa

Steal a tourist picture of Somalia and label them terrorists being monitored by MI5. KP is incompetent.

I saw this earlier, but didn't want to comment for fear of not viewing it in context. Was this really a tourist's photo? And if the answer is yes, then you right, KP has A LOT of explaining to do.

If it is the photo on Lonely Planet's website, then it is unlikely to be a tourist's photo. KP may have permission of Lonely Planet or it may be a generic stock image. Lonely Planet writes print and online guide books for travelers--they aren't a photo site.

Somalia does have terrorists and terrorist incidents. I imagine most of the spy agencies around the world monitor what is going on there.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/somalia/terrorism
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Somalia.html

I don't get the outrage.

Last edited:
If it is the photo on Lonely Planet's website, then it is unlikely to be a tourist's photo. KP may have permission of Lonely Planet or it may be a generic stock image.

Somalia does have terrorists and terrorist incidents. I imagine most of the spy agencies around the world monitor what is going on there.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/somalia/terrorism

I don't get the outrage.

The outrage is this is not a photo showing "terrorists" that we know of. Lonely Planet is a site for tourists (I'm not saying this is a tourists photo). However, the optics of this photo is not good. They could have easily used a stock image of London where intel agencies are monitoring their own people (which has terrorists just like Somalia). Of course people are going to be outraged.

The outrage is this is not a photo showing "terrorists" that we know of. Lonely Planet is a site for tourists (I'm not saying this is a tourists photo). However, the optics of this photo is not good. They could have easily used a stock image of London where intel agencies are monitoring their own people (which has terrorists just like Somalia). Of course people are going to be outraged.

Well, even Lonely Planet advises against traveling to Somalia.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/somalia

Since "the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS), commonly known as MI6, is the foreign intelligence service of the government of the United Kingdom, tasked mainly with the covert overseas collection and analysis of human intelligence (HUMINT) in support of the UK's national security...." it would be inappropriate for them to monitor within the UK.

It is not inappropriate to be monitoring countries with terrorist cells.

Let's please move on from the off-topic discussion about terrorists and get back to discussing William's current events. Thanks.

The Duke of Cambridge this morning received Mr Mark Rose (Chief Executive Officer, Flora and Fauna International).

- Court Circular || 7 May 2019

"The Duke Of Cambridge is writing to the family of Guardsman Mathew Talbot who was killed by an Elephant in Malawi says @KensingtonRoyal.

The Duke wanted to pass on his condolences and to commend the important work he was doing.

Prince William is Royal Patron of @TuskTrust"

Via Jonathan Beale BBC Twitter

Guardsman Mathew Talbot, 23, was part of UK training mission to assist anti-poaching in the south-east African country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom