The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William does have the capacity to speak from the heart much like his grandmother does. He's sincere.

We do learn and tend to follow our parent's examples. My parent's era was the WWII era and, trust me, no one talked about mental issues or it was rare even to have what we call "drama". Come to think of it, we said things like "expecting" instead of pregnant. Television censors cut out a reference to the "W.C.".

My generation had the answer to mental illnesses. Drugs. They were doled out plentiful as many ailments we know more about today were treated with "mother's little helpers". PMS hadn't been invented yet. That, I lived through. :D

This, is perhaps why we see the title differently. My kids (all in their 40s) would probably see it the same way you do.

I agree, William does have that gift, and it's always a bit surprising, because his public affect is much cooler. Then he speaks from the heart, and demonstrates his vulnerability, and you realize it's a case of still waters.

I suspect that I am very close to you in age, since my children are in their thirties, but the difference in the reading of the "tone" of the DM headline may come down to me being primed to assume that the DM puts a negative spin on anything if they can. When did I get so cynical :eek:

I guess just like broken clocks are right twice a day, its possible for the Fail to publish a good journalistic story without a negative slant to it. ;)

The DM headline & article tone is deliberate clickbait for those who see millennials as 'snowflakes' for talking about their mental health and they'd prefer some of the old fashioned "stiff upper lip" of war time Brits. This attitude is exactly what William is up against of course because traditionally, our culture has been to repress & conceal emotion.

I think William & his generation of royals are doing a grand job with their mental health work & his mother would be so proud of him.

Celebrities feared supporting Heads Together due to fear of mental health stigma, Prince William says

Huh? many British celebrities have spoken about their own mental health battles. They were doing a lot of mental health campaigns.

Last edited:
Huh? many British celebrities have spoken about their own mental health battles. They were doing a lot of mental health campaigns.

Who exactly? There’s no reason for William to lie, and what he says makes absolute sense considering the stigma around mental health.

The Duke of Cambridge today attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland. His Royal Highness this morning received the Hon Al Gore (former Vice President of the United States of America). The Duke of Cambridge later attended a Meeting on the Illegal Wildlife Trade. His Royal Highness this afternoon joined a panel discussion on “Mental Health Matters”. Dr Simon Case and Mr Jason Knauf were in attendance

Court Circular || 23 January 2019

Isn't that Queen Maxima of the Netherlands?

No mention in the CC of William's "meeting" with Angela and Queen Maxima.

Angela posted a pic of them on her Instagram and said

After a brief encounter with British Prince William, Chancellor Merkel spoke with Queen Máxima about the initiative of Women20 - an official G20 participation group that is committed to the economic empowerment of women and is supported by the Dutch Queen. #worldeconomicforum

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_M6pvjcKa/

The whole conference had many different forums on different things that impacts our global society and while William may have been a part of the forum on mental health, there's other areas he may not have been involved with.

I believe you're correct, Muriel, and as William is a participant in the convention, its not as an official representative of HM, The Queen but more as a young up and coming global figure that is stepping out on the world stage wanting to make an impact for the better.

Its all good. Its these kind of things that, to me, are the best "king in training" or "Prince of Wales in training" a man can get. Its hands on and a first hand interaction with the movers and shakers from all over the world.

The Duke of Cambridge and Sir David Attenborough discuss Sir David’s work highlighting the importance of the natural world and the urgent challenges facing the next generation of environmental leaders

A lot of Royal fans had a problem with will interview him. Like how will called him David instead of sir David and felt like he wasn't worthy to interview him and unworthy to be there. I don't agree with the bashers and couldn't find a problem with this interview. He also got bashed for saying that celebs weren't interested in his heads together charity.

One thing will remain a constant and that is that there will always be people that will find fault with just about anything these days.

William's interview was on a more informal level and I thought it was very humbling of William to acknowledge the decades of conservation work. William is just getting started and has Attenborough to look up to as kind of mentor.

When it comes to the Royal Foundation's work on mental health, I can imagine that there were quite a few people that were iffy on getting on board with something like this but as with the AIDS crisis, the more information presented, the more people learned and the more support garnered worldwide.

A lot of Royal fans had a problem with will interview him. Like how will called him David instead of sir David and felt like he wasn't worthy to interview him and unworthy to be there. I don't agree with the bashers and couldn't find a problem with this interview. He also got bashed for saying that celebs weren't interested in his heads together charity.

I would imagine that William called him David, because Sir David had told him to address him by his birth name when they set up the interview.?

I would imagine that William called him David, because Sir David had told him to address him by his birth name when they set up the interview.?

I am also reasonably sure that this is not the first interaction between them, and at some stage, Sir David may have asked Prince William to refer to him as David.

:previous: Yes I agree muriel. They've likely progressed to the point in which they address each other by their first names.

One thing will remain a constant and that is that there will always be people that will find fault with just about anything these days.

We are all entitled to our views, but social media just makes it easy for us all to publicise those views.

:previous: I believe William has known David Attenborough his whole life.

And David's brother Richard was also a close friend of both the Prince of Wales and Princess Diana.

Prince William to turn journalist as he interviews Sir David Attenborough – Royal Central

"The association with the Royal family goes a long way back though, pictures exist of Sir David showing Prince Charles and Princess Anne members of the parrot family when they were probably little older than Prince William’s eldest children are now."

"It is not the first time the two have shared a platform, Sir David and Prince William also have a connection through the Tusk Trust Conservation Awards in 2016 amongst other occasions."

We are all entitled to our views, but social media just makes it easy for us all to publicise those views.

Oh ain't that the truth! Its one reason I don't do social media much. At least the views here are presented in a civilized manner for discussion. ?

I don't see why he shouldn't be there for interview Sir David. It's not all global CEOs, tip top experts or government representatives and the Duke is well known for his keen interest in/work with mental health and conservation organisations.

It just ends up being criticism for the sake of criticism.

I think it's brilliant that Prince William interviewed national treasure Sir David Attenborough (and called him David because that's what he'd want).

It's heartening to see William take such a genuine & serious stance on environmental dangers. Our children & grandchildren need leaders like him to stand up & be counted on this urgent issue.

The Duke of Cambridge today attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

His Royal Highness this morning received Professor Klaus Schwab (Founder and Executive Chairman, World Economic Forum).

The Duke of Cambridge afterwards attended a Meeting on Global Governance.

His Royal Highness this afternoon received the Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern, MP (Prime Minister of New Zealand). The Duke of Cambridge subsequently interviewed Sir David Attenborough (Naturalist and Broadcaster).

His Royal Highness later attended a Screening of Sir David Attenborough’s new documentary series, “Our Planet”.

Dr Simon Case and Mr Jason Knauf are in attendance.

Court Circular || 22 January 2019

The Duke of Cambridge today attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

His Royal Highness this morning received the Hon Al Gore (former Vice President of the United States of America).

The Duke of Cambridge later attended a Meeting on the Illegal Wildlife Trade.

His Royal Highness this afternoon joined a panel discussion on “Mental Health Matters”.

Dr Simon Case and Mr Jason Knauf were in attendance.

Court Circular || 23 January 2019

Last edited:
“The Duke of Cambridge was very friendly, chatty and well-briefed and gave each recipient ample time and attention. He went out of his way to make everyone feel special.”

- Brenda Trenowden, a Halifax native and head of the Financial Institutions Group in Europe for ANZ Bank, received her medal as Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire || 31 January 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom