The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It seemed petty to me. It was one course related to his future role. He wasn't going to get a 4 year degree from the school. Sometimes I think people look for things to complain about.
These 'petty people' are his future subjects and if they continue to feel he is abusing his position, probably future republicans. Whether you think it petty or not, these students are entitled to their opinions. All programs have entrance requirements, even special programs like this, if he was an average student. Nothing from his St Andrews days screams that he was much of a student. Nor does his degree in geography likely fill many requirements for land management.

I love when ardent supporters deny that there are problems. 'Oh the people love William, these were just petty students'. The work shy comments are just angry reporters and oh I am sure all the comments on them must be foreigners, Brits love him.

I am all for William continuing his education. Good on him. Land management seems a bit more to do with his personal holdings then his future role as king though. But the royals should be conscious about public opinion.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Exactly Erin9.

The Cambridge course was a simple 'bestoke' course which many unis run requiring no entry qualifications but are ones that are designed to sort a niche market

The undergraduates were upset because William didn't have the grades to get into Cambridge as an undergraduate. By the time that this course was being studied anyway William already had a degree so his qualifications wouldn't have been his school results had he wanted to do a full course at Cambridge.
Exactly. I'm more than a little surprised that the Cambridge students didn't take into consideration that this was an extension or niche course and that he was not applying as an undergraduate.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Nobility

The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
These 'petty people' are his future subjects and if they continue to feel he is abusing his position, probably future republicans. Whether you think it petty or not, these students are entitled to their opinions. All programs have entrance requirements, even special programs like this, if he was an average student. Nothing from his St Andrews days screams that he was much of a student. Nor does his degree in geography likely fill many requirements for land management.

I love when ardent supporters deny that there are problems. 'Oh the people love William, these were just petty students'. The work shy comments are just angry reporters and oh I am sure all the comments on them must be foreigners, Brits love him.

I am all for William continuing his education. Good on him. Land management seems a bit more to do with his personal holdings then his future role as king though. But the royals should be conscious about public opinion.

They're entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. I think it was petty.

Besides, frankly, who you are and who you know matters. It's the way it is. And that's not restricted to the monarchy.

Yes, TRF should be cognizant of public opinion, but seriously, one class. I don't get it. There are real things to get upset about, and I fail to see how this was one of them.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 PM
Courtier

Not all programs have requirement. Certificated program don't and at Harvard and many university one doesn't need to apply. They just have to registered and complete all the courses that are require for the certificate.
Simply those Cambridge students were petty and sounded dumb, too dumb to be at a university confusing an undergrad degree with a certificate programs.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

And let's move it back to current events.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:56 AM
Royal Highness

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge Prince William has visited the University of Oxford today, to see the results of three major investment projects, and open Magdalen College’s new Longwall Library.
Home - ITNSource News
Old 05-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge will be launching a coalition today to tackle the high rates of male suicide with Samaritans, The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) and a number of frontline services.

As well as CALM and Samaritans, National Rail, Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), Highways England, British Transport Police and the National Police Chiefs’ Council, Chief Fire Officers Association and the Association of Ambulance Chief Executives are also involved.
Read more: Samaritans joins new coalition to reduce male suicide | Samaritans

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke is hearing from emergency services & transport coalition working with @theCALMzone to prevent male suicide
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...90545736155136
Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Todays events are so very important. This is a great cause for him to take up. A big thing around male mental health is the need to "appear strong". To have a rather traditional, male precence like William from such a "strict and proper" institution talk about this and say it's okay to ask for help can make a huge difference!!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

PA Images @PAImages
Duke of Cambridge attends male suicide prevention launch - Pictures by @BradyBoxBrownie

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/852380
Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily
Congratulations to double Tour de France winning cyclist @chrisfroome #OBE, honoured by The Duke of Cambridge today!

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...99134711767041

Also today, The Duke visited the Passage charity

Quote:
Prince William took a trip down memory lane on Friday as he visited a homeless charity in Victoria, London. The Duke of Cambridge last visited The Passage some 23 years ago when he was a young boy, accompanying his late mother Princess Diana on her engagement.

William, 33, was presented with a special gift – a framed photograph of himself, Diana and his brother Harry taken in 1994. This was the second time that the Prince had visited the charity as a youngster. His first visit was in 1993.
Read more: Prince William returns to homeless charity that Princess Diana showed him as a child
Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Video:
Prince William has taken a trip down memory lane today, visiting a homeless charity in London, 23 years after being taken there with his mother, the late Princess Diana. The Duke of Cambridge met staff and people at The Passage, before unveiling a plaque commemorating the opening of its new refurbished premises.
Home - ITNSource News
Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William visits Passage homeless charity in London | Daily Mail Online

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Heir Apparent

A couple of unannounced engagements for William

Court Circular

12 May 2016 - The Duke of Cambridge this afternoon received young people and supporters of the Diana Award.

11 May 2016 - The Duke of Cambridge received His Excellency Sheikh Thamer Al Ali Al Sabah.

https://www.royal.uk/court-circular?text=&mrf=2916&date
Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014

The gentleman is Kuwait's security chief

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Minister of the interior and nephew of the current Emir of Kuwait.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Minister of the interior and nephew of the current Emir of Kuwait.
Interesting meeting and interesting that it was in the CC. But completely valid in his role. It's impossible to read correct meaning into this. Hmmmmmm
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Interesting meeting and interesting that it was in the CC. But completely valid in his role. It's impossible to read correct meaning into this. Hmmmmmm
To me it seems like a clear case of royal meeting official. A sheikh with government position visiting UK, need a royal to say hi and show respect, William got the job. That's a big part of their job.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
i think he has been doing it all along - they are just putting those things in the cc to highlight
Old 05-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is the sort of thing that makes up a large percentage of Charles' engagements for years - and also Andrew's. Now William is getting in on the list of those who receive visiting officials - presidents, prime ministers and other diplomats. This is what these men have always done. Nothing surprising that William is also adding to this list of things for him (I would love to see what they are saying on the anti-William forums where they say that he always stuffs up when he meets with officials and yet here once again we see evidence that the government and the Queen think William is able to do the diplomatic stuff as well).
Old 05-13-2016, 09:59 PM
Heir Apparent

That sort of diplomatic doublespeak can be learned, and you don't have to be particularly intelligent to excel at it. In fact it's probably better if you are not overly intelligent if you have to live your life in that world. William, as Charles and Andrew before him - and Anne, too - would have been exposed to the language of diplomacy all their lives and would have absorbed the basics of the skill by osmosis, and would have also had specific instruction from experts in later years, and it should be second nature to them by their 30s, so I hope William can manage to converse for an hour or so with other diplomats who have all been schooled in the same doublespeak and also be able to deflect potentially difficult subjects should they arise.