The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Probably not built for a 6' 4" person to fly. I would think that the first choice of pilot would be smaller less heavy pilots where they can use the the weight saving for fuel and ammunition.

I got to go through a WWII submarine. It was super small and I had to watch my head and I'm only 5' 9"

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I have to agree. I almost thought the image was a fake because he looks so large in the cockpit. However you are correct, those born at the beginning of the 20th century and were in the armed forces would have been much smaller than their 21st century descendents. Also the choice of a smaller framed pilot would be an economizing move to save on precious fuel.

Isn't William set to be one of the tallest of the combined English/British monarchs?

Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Probably not built for a 6' 4" person to fly. I would think that the first choice of pilot would be smaller less heavy pilots where they can use the the weight saving for fuel and ammunition.

I got to go through a WWII submarine. It was super small and I had to watch my head and I'm only 5' 9"

Good point. I've been inside one of those too, and boy, was it tight, and I'm super-short, at 5'2.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular. Thursday 9th July

The Duke of Cambridge, Colonel, Irish Guards, this evening attended a Regimental Boxing Night at Cavalry Barracks, Hounslow
Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Serene Highness

William is definitely trying to pack as much as he can into his London week before he starts flying .... Good for him
Old 07-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
William is definitely trying to pack as much as he can into his London week before he starts flying .... Good for him
I think this is a great model, to have a London week ever so often, and pack it with engagements. You then retreat to Anmer, and carry on with your "other" job.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree muriel. Ironic that a man who will again be working with a full and part-time job is sometimes labeled at "lazy."
Old 07-12-2015, 02:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge will return to the skies tomorrow as he begins his new job as an air ambulance pilot.

William began a civilian pilot course in September before undergoing dedicated 999-response training in order to take up the role with the East Anglian Air Ambulance (EAAA).

He has now completed the training and is expected to report for his first day of duty based at Cambridge Airport.

The former RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot will work as a co-pilot transporting patients to hospital from emergencies ranging from road accidents to heart attacks.

He will work alongside a pilot and a team of medics flying missions over Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire.

The role will be his main job but his roster will take into account the duties and responsibilities he will continue to undertake on behalf of the Queen.
More: William begins air ambulance job - BT
Old 07-12-2015, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Nice picture of William in this link. He's maturing nicely. (I despaired of him for a long time. ) I think fatherhood agrees with him, and a settled family life. I also think his being allowed to have a flying career along with his royal duties has been inspired. After all, it's what his father has had, too, his own interests/career.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Nice picture of William in this link. He's maturing nicely. (I despaired of him for a long time. ) I think fatherhood agrees with him, and a settled family life. I also think his being allowed to have a flying career along with his royal duties has been inspired. After all, it's what his father has had, too, his own interests/career.

Charles might have interests but he doesn't have a career unless I've missed something.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Charles might have interests but he doesn't have a career unless I've missed something.
I view the work Charles has done through his Prince's Trust, plus the Duchy, and restorations, all of that as his 'career'. He functions like a unique CEO. He does all that work (on his terms, yes) and then does his royal duties.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 AM
Royal Highness

I don't see that as a career IMO
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well... He has kind of turned it into a career. He has had to form a role that can fill up all his time, and therefore created a sort of "buissnes" around his interests. He's a "boss" over many projects etc.

Now it's William and Harry's time to carve out roles that work for them, and I think William flying is perfect for that!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:40 AM
Royal Highness

IMO it's no different to the charities all royals do. Will is working outside of that working for a wage something that is very important to him. Charles does want he wants when he wants

Old 07-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Well... He has kind of turned it into a career. He has had to form a role that can fill up all his time, and therefore created a sort of "business" around his interests. He's a "boss" over many projects etc.

Now it's William and Harry's time to carve out roles that work for them, and I think William flying is perfect for that!
Exactly so. He's a businessman in many ways. He's had the ability to be eclectic and follow his interests (as do most all wealthy people who inherit their money) but he has set into motion many organizations, over which he exercises directional control. He is massively well-informed and it has everything to do with the work he does in the world, outside of his royal obligations. If you look into what he has done, his achievements are impressive. It took work.

Quote:
IMO it's no different to the charities all royals do. Will is working outside of that working for a wage something that is very important to him. Charles does want he wants when he wants.
Nope, what Charles has done is very, very different from the charity photo-ops most royals do, though Charles does those, too.

Charles has generated personal wealth from his business endeavors, that he is able to then use to support his personally developed charities. This is not the norm. Most royals do not plow money into the charities they represent. Charles does, plus he also fundraises for them.

He is a wealthy man in his own right, able to bank-roll aspects of William's and Harry's lifestyles out of his own money. Like most 'CEO-types' he does determine his own schedule but it's not really that free ('does what he wants when he wants') since he is networking with others, just like any businessman. He has a schedule, and from all accounts it's pretty intense.

That's a career in my book.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince William starts news job with air ambulance team | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 AM
Royal Highness

Well not to me as he is using his position anyway that's MO and I agree to disagree

Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Charles has generated personal wealth from his business endeavors, that he is able to then use to support his personally developed charities. This is not the norm. Most royals do not plow money into the charities they represent. Charles does, plus he also fundraises for them.

He is a wealthy man in his own right, able to bank-roll aspects of William's and Harry's lifestyles out of his own money. Like most 'CEO-types' he does determine his own schedule but it's not really that free ('does what he wants when he wants') since he is networking with others, just like any businessman. He has a schedule, and from all accounts it's pretty intense.

That's a career in my book.
Charles' career, to me, stems from the motto of The Prince of Wales "Ich Dien" which translates as "I serve". He very much has the welfare of his people, his country and his planet at heart and its my opinion that most of what Charles does is not for personal gain. He has also taught his sons well and we're beginning to see this with William donating his wages from EAAA to charity and Harry getting down and dirty working in animal conservation in Africa. If one looks closely, one can see the influences that Charles has passed onto his sons.

His schedule, as you've stated, is well known to be intense and he's a man that's always on the go doing something. I think its been said that to relax, he takes walks.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree, Osipi. Nice post. Charles is all about service and he keeps a pretty intense work schedule. He also makes money that supports his family, and many of his endeavors, which as I mentioned is unique. Generally, the 'talent' is not the money. The 'talent' is there to attract the money. Charles does both.

BTW it's also clear that Charles is very much his father's son. Prince Philip is the mold into which Charles was cast. Charles may be different in temperament from his father, none-the-less, Charles absorbed his father's work ethic, and social and ecological ethos. Philip's accomplishments are also impressive. Charles took it all further.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Majesty

Prince William pilots first air ambulance rescue mission - BBC News

Prince William pilots first air ambulance rescue mission
Old 09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
Prince William will attend wildlife conservation charity Tusk Trust's 25th Anniversary Ball at Syon House, London, on September 17.

Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
The Duke of Cambridge will visit #RAF Coningsby to observe the 100th Anniversary Parade of 29 (Reserve) Squadron on Sept. 22nd. #Royal

Prince William is Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Coningsby