The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that KP and CC is now publishing the young royals meetings. Don't know why it was so hard for them to do so from the beginning.

Gosh, how I love that black dress coat. And the cheesy smile.

Interesting factoid from the video. This is the first time in 5 years that the whole Irish Guards have been together for St Patrick's Day. Nice that their colonel was there for it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Court Circular 24th March:

The Duke of Cambridge was received by The President of the Republic of Kenya this morning at State House, Kileleshwa Estate, Nairobi, Kenya.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke of Cambridge has been invited to see the results of three major investment projects @UniofOxford

The Duke will visit #MagdalenCollege, the #WestonLibrary and Blavatnik School of Government @UniofOxford on Wednesday 11th May

William paid tribute to Sir David on BBC One's Attenborough At 90, a special programme to mark the broadcaster's milestone birthday on May 8.

He said: "There is something very calming and sort of warm about his programmes. There is something very reassuring about seeing David Attenborough on BBC One doing his documentaries. It is part of the national psyche now.

"He's a national treasure and it is very fitting that he is having his 90th birthday only a few weeks after the Queen. They are two incredible national treasures who have done so much over the years."

William said the naturalist was "the single most important impact in my conservation thinking".
Read more: Prince William wishes Sir David Attenborough happy 90th birthday: He’s a national treasure | Royal | News | Daily Express

On 12 May HRH will join the launch of emergency services and transport industry coalition on preventing #malesuicide

The coalition brings together expertise of @theCALMzone @samaritans @TowerRNLI @networkrail @BTP @CFOAfire @AACE_org to prevent male suicide

Also -

The Duke of Cambridge will visit @PassageCharity #Victoria on 13 May to see how they're transforming lives of homeless people for the better

William is also visiting the Royal Marsden hospital

The Royal Marsden ‏@royalmarsden
We're excited to announce that our President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, will visit our Chelsea hospital on Tuesday 17 May! #HRHvisit

The Royal Marsden @royalmarsden
The Duke will see pioneering work in breast cancer research & will meet patients participating in trials #HRHvisit

The Duke will officially open our Ralph Lauren Centre for Breast Cancer Research & will be joined on the tour by @RalphLauren #HRHvisit

Last edited:
Funny how the Duke of Cambridge got a warmer welcome to Oxford U then when he took a course at Cambridge U where the students just whined.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Coinciding with William's visit, Oxford University is creating a new Duke of Cambridge Scholarship to help a Master of Public Policy student

BBC Oxford @BBCOxford
Oxford University unveils new Duke of Cambridge Scholarship at Blavatnik School of Govt

BBC Local Live: Oxfordshire on Wednesday 11 May 2016 - BBC News

Last edited:
On 12 May HRH will join the launch of emergency services and transport industry coalition on preventing #malesuicide

The coalition brings together expertise of @theCALMzone @samaritans @TowerRNLI @networkrail @BTP @CFOAfire @AACE_org to prevent male suicide

Also -

The Duke of Cambridge will visit @PassageCharity #Victoria on 13 May to see how they're transforming lives of homeless people for the better

William is also visiting the Royal Marsden hospital

We're excited to announce that our President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, will visit our Chelsea hospital on Tuesday 17 May! #HRHvisit

The Royal Marsden @royalmarsden
The Duke will see pioneering work in breast cancer research & will meet patients participating in trials #HRHvisit

The Duke will officially open our Ralph Lauren Centre for Breast Cancer Research & will be joined on the tour by @RalphLauren #HRHvisit

Thats fantastic!!! so nice to see following on his mothers work :)

Funny how the Duke of Cambridge got a warmer welcome to Oxford U then when he took a course at Cambridge U where the students just whined.

really? i remember it being a great hit when he visited with kate some years ago. but maybe memory fails...

i like seeing william visiting historic universities like cambridge and oxford. they are such an institution and a referent of the UK in the world that i think they should be around more promoting them and their work :)

besides, i got the impression that, with the hype about st andrews and WK having studied there, other universities don't get as much exposure to the advantages of having them on campus.

Not the town itself. Some of the students whined about his academic credentials when he took the land management course at the University early in 2014.

:previous: Probably because there is a difference between a visit, like Oxford, and attending university, like Cambridge.

I am not surprised that students who studied and worked their butts off to get into a school as prestigious as Cambridge wouldn't be happy William got in because of who he was.

:previous: Probably because there is a difference between a visit, like Oxford, and attending university, like Cambridge.

I am not surprised that students who studied and worked their butts off to get into a school as prestigious as Cambridge wouldn't be happy William got in because of who he was.

It seemed petty to me. It was one course related to his future role. He wasn't going to get a 4 year degree from the school. Sometimes I think people look for things to complain about.

Exactly Erin9.

The Cambridge course was a simple 'bestoke' course which many unis run requiring no entry qualifications but are ones that are designed to sort a niche market

The undergraduates were upset because William didn't have the grades to get into Cambridge as an undergraduate. By the time that this course was being studied anyway William already had a degree so his qualifications wouldn't have been his school results had he wanted to do a full course at Cambridge.

It was lovely to see him at Oxford.
The Cambridges have a general interest trend toward youth and so University appearances fit right in.
It's kinda sad how little we comment on his appearances given how much press is given to him being work shy,
And who else thought the Gruffalo encounter quite nice and maybe a bit revealing.
Oh and this image is, ? I'm not sure but the press corps got a good giggle I am sure. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/11/14/340AD46400000578-3584731-image-a-25_1462973136270.jpg

Last edited:
It seemed petty to me. It was one course related to his future role. He wasn't going to get a 4 year degree from the school. Sometimes I think people look for things to complain about.

These 'petty people' are his future subjects and if they continue to feel he is abusing his position, probably future republicans. Whether you think it petty or not, these students are entitled to their opinions. All programs have entrance requirements, even special programs like this, if he was an average student. Nothing from his St Andrews days screams that he was much of a student. Nor does his degree in geography likely fill many requirements for land management.

I love when ardent supporters deny that there are problems. 'Oh the people love William, these were just petty students'. The work shy comments are just angry reporters and oh I am sure all the comments on them must be foreigners, Brits love him.

I am all for William continuing his education. Good on him. Land management seems a bit more to do with his personal holdings then his future role as king though. But the royals should be conscious about public opinion.

Exactly Erin9.

The Cambridge course was a simple 'bestoke' course which many unis run requiring no entry qualifications but are ones that are designed to sort a niche market

The undergraduates were upset because William didn't have the grades to get into Cambridge as an undergraduate. By the time that this course was being studied anyway William already had a degree so his qualifications wouldn't have been his school results had he wanted to do a full course at Cambridge.
Exactly. I'm more than a little surprised that the Cambridge students didn't take into consideration that this was an extension or niche course and that he was not applying as an undergraduate.

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 2: January 2014

These 'petty people' are his future subjects and if they continue to feel he is abusing his position, probably future republicans. Whether you think it petty or not, these students are entitled to their opinions. All programs have entrance requirements, even special programs like this, if he was an average student. Nothing from his St Andrews days screams that he was much of a student. Nor does his degree in geography likely fill many requirements for land management.

I love when ardent supporters deny that there are problems. 'Oh the people love William, these were just petty students'. The work shy comments are just angry reporters and oh I am sure all the comments on them must be foreigners, Brits love him.

I am all for William continuing his education. Good on him. Land management seems a bit more to do with his personal holdings then his future role as king though. But the royals should be conscious about public opinion.

They're entitled to their opinion, as I am to mine. I think it was petty.

Besides, frankly, who you are and who you know matters. It's the way it is. And that's not restricted to the monarchy.

Yes, TRF should be cognizant of public opinion, but seriously, one class. I don't get it. There are real things to get upset about, and I fail to see how this was one of them.

Not all programs have requirement. Certificated program don't and at Harvard and many university one doesn't need to apply. They just have to registered and complete all the courses that are require for the certificate.
Simply those Cambridge students were petty and sounded dumb, too dumb to be at a university confusing an undergrad degree with a certificate programs.

And let's move it back to current events.

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge Prince William has visited the University of Oxford today, to see the results of three major investment projects, and open Magdalen College’s new Longwall Library.
Home - ITNSource News

The Duke of Cambridge will be launching a coalition today to tackle the high rates of male suicide with Samaritans, The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) and a number of frontline services.

As well as CALM and Samaritans, National Rail, Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), Highways England, British Transport Police and the National Police Chiefs’ Council, Chief Fire Officers Association and the Association of Ambulance Chief Executives are also involved.
Read more: Samaritans joins new coalition to reduce male suicide | Samaritans

The Duke is hearing from emergency services & transport coalition working with @theCALMzone to prevent male suicide
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/730690545736155136

Last edited:
Todays events are so very important. This is a great cause for him to take up. A big thing around male mental health is the need to "appear strong". To have a rather traditional, male precence like William from such a "strict and proper" institution talk about this and say it's okay to ask for help can make a huge difference!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom