The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

Oh how lovely for her, this must have been a real thrill to have PW do that, he is such a gentleman and by what he did you can tell he is all about family.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

That lady is 96- she doesn't look it!
I love this story. One reason why I love seeing photos and stories of William's engagements. I love him!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Look: Prince William visits Birmingham homeless charity St Basils and National Arboretum - Birmingham Mail
Quote:
Prince William swapped the glitz and glamour of his New York tour for a more down-to-earth engagement at a Birmingham homelessness charity.

The Duke of Cambridge returned to the city to see the work of St Basils, which supports young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

He happily mingled with staff and young people who explained the charity’s work and told one young mum, whose 10-month-old daughter had fallen fast asleep in the noisy room, that little Prince George would not have been so content.

Prince William said: “Has she drifted off? How did you manage to get her to do that? George doesn’t do that. He’d never do that if there was this much noise.”
---------------------------------------------
Watch: Prince William in Aston and Perry Barr on royal visit - Birmingham Mail
Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Duke of Cambridge has been to St Basils at John Austin Court, Birmingham, an organisation which helps young people aged 16-25 who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. The Duke met with staff and spoke to young residents about their experiences. .

Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

First-
I'd say the Duke has found another child who will adore him for life in Spencer! Not surprised! Also not surprised that Spencer's mom got choked up! Who wouldn't? When are Spencer and Wills going to play footy in the KP garden?
Why is there a ram/ goat in the pics?

Second-
2 things struck me. The mum at the homeless shelter said she was surprised that William would come over and chat, while I'd be surprised if William didn't. And the second thing is what always strikes me- there is the future King standing there with a mug of coffee, chatting, and everyone's at ease. Never surprising, but always striking!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

St Basils does amazing work

Home - St. Basils
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
St Basils does amazing work

Home - St. Basils
Very interesting.
What struck me is that had I not known who William is, I would have thought he was a normal person. And the fact that the future King takes an interest in those on the total other end of the scale says quite a lot.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Very interesting.
What struck me is that had I not known who William is, I would have thought he was a normal person. And the fact that the future King takes an interest in those on the total other end of the scale says quite a lot.
Both of William's parents set the example for him. Diana with Centrepoint and all of the work that the Prince's Trust and Charles' other charities and patronages have aimed to do have made a strong impact on both Wills and Harry I think.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed! It's just so obvious that he truly cares!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very interesting.
Yes it does.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

I will say that I hope that the people of England realize what a great man they have in William, the way he protects his wife while on this latest trip and made sure she was okay, the way he talks to people and engages them in conversation and making them feel important says so much about how he will be in the future.
Now RR, you and I can argue who gets to keep William to ourselves for another day..... only we have to get Catherine's permission first....
Old 12-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I will say that I hope that the people of England realize what a great man they have in William, the way he protects his wife while on this latest trip and made sure she was okay, the way he talks to people and engages them in conversation and making them feel important says so much about how he will be in the future.
Now RR, you and I can argue who gets to keep William to ourselves for another day..... only we have to get Catherine's permission first....
And the way he is with kids tells us what kind of Daddy he is to George!
@ SE- you are so right about William, and that's going to be an interesting argument! LOL!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
First-

I'd say the Duke has found another child who will adore him for life in Spencer! Not surprised! Also not surprised that Spencer's mom got choked up! Who wouldn't? When are Spencer and Wills going to play footy in the KP garden?

Why is there a ram/ goat in the pics?

Second-

2 things struck me. The mum at the homeless shelter said she was surprised that William would come over and chat, while I'd be surprised if William didn't. And the second thing is what always strikes me- there is the future King standing there with a mug of coffee, chatting, and everyone's at ease. Never surprising, but always striking!
I have nothing to add, since you read my mind. William is one in a million, that's for sure.

Quote:
Very interesting.

He'll be the King that will speak for those who cannot be heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Both of William's parents set the example for him. Diana with Centrepoint and all of the work that the Prince's Trust and Charles' other charities and patronages have aimed to do have made a strong impact on both Wills and Harry I think.
You're absolutely correct. His parents set a great example, and William's natural ability to care for others is a big part as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I'll take part in that argument too , and I agree with all that you said.

Quote:
And the way he is with kids tells us what kind of Daddy he is to George!

@ SE- you are so right about William, and that's going to be an interesting argument! LOL!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he's playing with George.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William backs the Standard's Christmas appeal to help homeless war veterans - Homeless Veterans - News - London Evening Standard
Quote:
Prince William today backed the Evening Standard’s Christmas appeal for homeless veterans, saying that he is deeply troubled when servicemen and women fall on hard times.

The Duke of Cambridge, who spent more than seven years in full-time military service, said life in the forces was “tough” and called on the public to “give these anonymous heroes a helping hand”. He said: “The men and women of the armed forces serve all of us, with their lives when called upon by their country. They would give their life to protect us, and they expect little in return.

“The armed forces life is tough, it’s unique, and it is also difficult sometimes to make the transition into civilian life afterwards.

“It troubles me deeply that our servicemen and women possess extraordinary courage, skills and talent, yet many find it difficult to gain meaningful employment in the civilian world and can fall on hard times. We can all do something small but meaningful to give these anonymous heroes a helping hand, give them hope and put them on the right road to recovery. It’s a good cause to support.”
Old 12-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

I am really pleased that William has highlighted this cause and supported the Standard's annual Christmas appeal. There are many people homeless or have fallen on hard times and not only Veterans, so I hope it encourages people to donate.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Cambridge backs calls for inquiry into three innocent men mown down by a car during England riots in Birmingham in 2011 | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge has backed calls for a public inquiry into the case of three men who were mown down and killed by a car during the Birmingham riots of 2011.

MailOnline can exclusively reveal it is the first time Prince William has expressed his support for the idea in the case of Haroon Jahan, 20, and brothers Shazad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31.

The trio were killed in Dudley Road in the Winson Green area of Birmingham in the early hours of August 10, 2011 as they tried to protect businesses from looters.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post

He'll be the King that will speak for those who cannot be heard.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
I love this- both because it's true, and how you said it.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have a lot of sympathy with this view....but
What I don't know is what the laws in China are about importing ivory and rhino horn. According to reports last week the biggest markets for illegal imports are China and US. (I know some posters didn't believe me because of the laws but illegal imports are still happening).
IT may be that Chinese government want to stop/crackdown the illegal trade and maybe this trip could help.
I need more information about the Chinese Government's views.
That is right. I dont mind Prince William Raise the issue of illegal wild life trade when he visits China. But I hope he does more boackground check before speaking out. For example not long before he said ivory is more expensive than gold in China, that leads to rampant illigal poaching, so Chinese government need to do more thing. I dont think that is a right loguc. For example, drug is more expensive in USA than in some country of South American. Is this because USA people like drug more, or USA did less than the south american country? To the contrary, it is because USA has a much stricter rule on drug.

What is the law in China about illegal ivory trade? First of all, we dont allow any ivory import, legal or illegal. second any person who bring more than 30,000 USD into China, the highest penalty is lifetime penalty. 30,000 USD is local price. since ivory in my country is very expensive, if some one buy several hundred bucks ivory from africa and bring them into China, the value of these ivories can easily explode to over 30,000.

To the contrary, legal ivory import is allowed in Japan, so ivory there is not expensive at all.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
That is right. I dont mind Prince William Raise the issue of illegal wild life trade when he visits China. But I hope he does more boackground check before speaking out. For example not long before he said ivory is more expensive than gold in China, that leads to rampant illigal poaching, so Chinese government need to do more thing. I dont think that is a right loguc. For example, drug is more expensive in USA than in some country of South American. Is this because USA people like drug more, or USA did less than the south american country? To the contrary, it is because USA has a much stricter rule on drug.

What is the law in China about illegal ivory trade? First of all, we dont allow any ivory import, legal or illegal. second any person who bring more than 30,000 USD into China, the highest penalty is lifetime penalty. 30,000 USD is local price. since ivory in my country is very expensive, if some one buy several hundred bucks ivory from africa and bring them into China, the value of these ivories can easily explode to over 30,000.

To the contrary, legal ivory import is allowed in Japan, so ivory there is not expensive at all.
As William will be visiting China as a representative of HM and the UK, I don't see him bringing the subject up at all. He is not going there to speak on the behalf of United for Wildlife.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it will be mentioned. It is Government policy in both China and UK (as well as US and other nations) to stop the illegal import of ivory and products from other endangered species. In mentioning it, William will be supporting Chinese policy so there won't be an issue.

I think that the Chinese Government hope that William's intervention might help them.

It would only be an issue if William in some way criticised the Chinese approach which will not happen.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,