The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^I agree that this will be highly significant as it will be one of his first outside of the Commonwealth and nations with a long standing cooperation with the UK ie: USA.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Courtier

I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

I'm honestly very disappointed in this trip.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I agree with wyevale.
One of the things I admire about Charles is his staunch public support of Tibet.

If I thought William would highlight the wildlife crisis of Tigers and Elephants while in China, I would support this trip. But this sounds very much like a business and p.r. trip that China cooked up, and the UK is playing along because they know China is the next great Superpower and they want to reinforce their economic ties.

The wildlife crisis probably won't be brought up in any part of the trip to China as although its a cause that is near and dear to William, he's going to be there as a representative of HM, The Queen and the UK as a whole.

It just might get his foot in the door though for working with China in the future though.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Britain rolled out the red carpet earlier in the year for the Chinese, so this is the reciprocation.

Long haul travel is the one area where the younger royals can help the Queen and given that apparently Charles is on the outs with the Chinese, William gets to go.

This visit is very much a goodwill and PR mission and although illegal trade maybe raised behind closed doors, the government isn't sending William there to grandstand.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I agree with wyevale.

The reality of official visits organised by the FO is that they are political and based on improving the UK's standing with the country concerned - they are always about PR and trade - always.

All State visits involving HMQ - whether inbound or outbound, are for the same purpose. Always have been - same applies for all senior royals.

You are in for a lifetime of disappointment.

(EDIT - hit wrong key)

The only saving grace are either
1. the trips to Commonwealth countries - although let's be honest basically its the same reason. Australia wanted Catherine and William in order to promote their country to a world audience and it succeeded.

2. Trips in support of charities, ie Princess Royals recent trips to Africa for Save the Children.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Courtier

They should be sending Harry. His charities don't conflict with China the same way William's do. William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They should be sending Harry. His charities don't conflict with China the same way William's do. William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.
I have a lot of sympathy with this view....but

What I don't know is what the laws in China are about importing ivory and rhino horn. According to reports last week the biggest markets for illegal imports are China and US. (I know some posters didn't believe me because of the laws but illegal imports are still happening).

IT may be that Chinese government want to stop/crackdown the illegal trade and maybe this trip could help.

I need more information about the Chinese Government's views.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

In diplomacy not everything can be about the grand gesture. If royals can't visit countries where there are conflicts with their charities, they may as well all stay home

William was personally credited with helping to bring China to the table earlier in the year. So he does engage China, when the time and place is appropriate

Illegal wildlife trade: 50 nations gather in London for high-level summit | Environment | The Guardian
Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
In diplomacy not everything can be about the grand gesture. If royals can't visit countries where there are conflicts with their charities, they may as well all stay home

William was personally credited with helping to bring China to the table earlier in the year. So he does engage China, when the time and place is appropriate

Illegal wildlife trade: 50 nations gather in London for high-level summit | Environment | The Guardian
Like I said earlier if he were doing something like that during this trip, I would be fully supportive. But I can already see the UK press stockpiling their verbal ammo for when he plays polo for Tusk Trust next spring. I think he's walking into a booby trap. I hope I'm wrong and he comes out unscathed.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

So far the British press is reporting how impressive this is for William to undertake. Its a diplomatic visit and not a soapbox anti-poaching visit.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I agree with wyevale.

One of the primary roles of the senior members of the BRF are to represent Britain abroad, and help strengthen ties between Britain and various countries. They do this under instruction and guidance of the government of the day. This role must not, IMO, in any way, conflict with their own personal campaigns or views on various topics. Whilst William may support wildlife charities, his role in relation to China will be to help improve trade and social ties. This does not, IMO, in any way conflict with his support for his charities.

Quote:
William is going to look like a spineless bag of hot air when he talks about wildlife issues in the future. It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.
IMO, not really. He is just doing his job of supporting Crown and country.

Quote:
It's sad because I believe he genuinely cares, and he's just doing the trip per request of The Queen, but he's about to lose a lot of street cred.
Thankfully he does not have to be elected, and can actually focus his energies on doing the right thing, as opposed to trying to improve his "street cred" as a lot of short-termist politicians often do.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I hope the Chinese officials will learn much about diplomacy from William, since their arrogant rudeness towards the Japanese prime-minister recently left a lot to be desired.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Majesty

I am somewhat bemused by those advocating William personally engage China politically during his visit. Royal interference in UK Diplomatic and International affairs in pursuit of Prince William's personal charities at a time where his father is being slated for exercising his democratic right to correspond with MP's in the UK.

I believe we are sailing into dangerous waters when we expect William to "break the rules of engagement" or lose support or "street cred" if he doesn't. Prince William's usefulness to the UK is far too important to sqander in such a way. And yes Jack, I do think that Prince William's Royal and Diplomatic deportment may very well be a superb "diplomatic message" the UK is making when they are not making a diplomatic statement!
Old 11-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince William is carrying out investitures today at Buckingham Palace
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

'It's like being made a prefect': Damian Lewis calls OBE honour a 'huge surprise' as he says he feels new pressure to be responsible

Read more: 'It's like being made a prefect': Damian Lewis calls OBE honour a 'huge surprise' as he says he feels new pressure to be responsible | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Prince William is carrying out investitures today at Buckingham Palace
The Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace by the Duke of Cambridge Wednesday, Nov 26

- PA Images
Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm wondering why William wasn't standing on the dais during the Investiture?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I think because he is so tall and has to almost bend over to chat with people. This seems to be a more comfortable position
Old 12-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Mace ‏@RoyaleVision 3 mins3 minutes ago #royal

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Staffordshire and Birmingham on Friday 12 December

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2 hrs2 hours ago

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Staffordshire and Birmingham on Friday 12th December for a number of engagements.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Prince William gives great-grandmother a cheeky wink after receiving her MBE (From Warrington Guardian)