The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Follow up to my last post. I mean I could see it - the negativity if William was ditching all his other charities and royal duties to do this- but he isn't.
And I mean if say Catherine wanted to volunteer at EACH, why the heck shouldn't she? She did with the Scouts- no complaint there.
I feel sorry for these people. They don't work people say their lazy. They work- you're not doing your royal duty. Then you have people who say royal duties are not work, and don't make a difference. I beg to differ. They can't win. Shame.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I mean I suppose if he wanted to become Patron of the Air ambulance service he could, and people wouldn't complain. And yes, that would be wonderful. I don't mean to say that William's touching peoples lives by being Patron of charities , and going to these events isn't wonderful, because it most certainly is. I know it helps people.But this seems greater somehow, because he is taking action. Can't really explain what I mean because you could say that doing charity appearances is taking action too. And donating his salary too. Wonderful.
I was reading some books quoted William as saying he wanted to be " The People's King" I know he will be . Reading about people's interactions with William had me in tears.
I must say I was shocked to read such negativity about William doing this. I wondered if they were talking about the same William. The adjectives they used were the complete opposite of the William that I have gained an impression of from reading accounts of people that have actually met the man.
I understand completely what you're trying to say here and I agree 100% with you. I think when it comes to doing things, both William and Harry do go that extra mile. William is not only supporting and patron of causes and charities, he's in a profession that, while it might seem "fun" and glamorous to some, is really a stressful and physically and emotionally draining job. Timing is crucial and I would wager that 99.9%, of the air lifts done are matters of life and death. Its like Harry backing "Walking with the Wounded" but yet going the extra mile by actually walking with them in extreme conditions.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Follow up to my last post. I mean I could see it - the negativity if William was ditching all his other charities and royal duties to do this- but he isn't.
And I mean if say Catherine wanted to volunteer at EACH, why the heck shouldn't she? She did with the Scouts- no complaint there.
I feel sorry for these people. They don't work people say their lazy. They work- you're not doing your royal duty. Then you have people who say royal duties are not work, and don't make a difference. I beg to differ. They can't win. Shame.
I actually think Catherine's choices have been severely limited by the desire to not create another media sensation/icon out of a royal spouse. (Not that I think she minds. I think at her core, she's quite happy to play the support role and be as private as she can be)

I'd LOVE to see her volunteer at EACH but I think the chances of that happening are slim because "Princess with dying children" will always bring a ton of media attention.

William seems to be doing his best to find a meaningful role while maintaining some semblance of a life. It can't be easy.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think William should dedicate exclusively to Royal duties.
He has no need to be a helicopter pilot.
Why because he's rich? There is no need for Harry to be a soldier or to go to Afghanistan. I feel it is admirable that men who don't have to work have decided to do it anyway.

As for William being insecure and not knowing what to do with his life, I think it is the complete opposite. He has been doing generally the same thing since he graduated college, careers in service to the public. I don't know why he quit the RAF to do this but they are not 2 entirely different career paths. I think even his degree in geography is coming into play in his piloting, but I'm not sure about that; I suck at geography and haven't taken it since sophomore year. It has to do with maps right?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Why because he's rich? There is no need for Harry to be a soldier or to go to Afghanistan. I feel it is admirable that men who don't have to work have decided to do it anyway.

As for William being insecure and not knowing what to do with his life, I think it is the complete opposite. He has been doing generally the same thing since he graduated college, careers in service to the public. I don't know why he quit the RAF to do this but they are not 2 entirely different career paths. I think even his degree in geography is coming into play in his piloting, but I'm not sure about that; I suck at geography and haven't taken it since sophomore year. It has to do with maps right?

He probably quit the RAF because of privatization of the SAR coupled with less ability to control his time off and leave. This sounds like it will have more flexibility and allow him to be with his family more.

I agree with you that he seems passionate and committed about flying.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I mean I suppose if he wanted to become Patron of the Air ambulance service he could, and people wouldn't complain. And yes, that would be wonderful. I don't mean to say that William's touching peoples lives by being Patron of charities , and going to these events isn't wonderful, because it most certainly is. I know it helps people.But this seems greater somehow, because he is taking action. Can't really explain what I mean because you could say that doing charity appearances is taking action too. And donating his salary too. Wonderful.
I was reading some books quoted William as saying he wanted to be " The People's King" I know he will be . Reading about people's interactions with William had me in tears.
I must say I was shocked to read such negativity about William doing this. I wondered if they were talking about the same William. The adjectives they used were the complete opposite of the William that I have gained an impression of from reading accounts of people that have actually met the man.
I'm in agreement with you, as pretty much always. I think that many people are negative, because maybe their view of a 'fulfilling' job is being in the public eye, and basically being a show monkey. William, thankfully, wants to actually DO things to make a difference. I say, good for him! Maybe you, myself, and others see William's choice as something positive, because we've been in situations where actions did a lot more good than pure words or appearances. I know that as an educator I'm a big believer in doing, and making sure that the children get the best chance possible. William more than likely feels the same way. Yeah..I hope I'm making sense...

Quote:
No, no matter what, William and Catherine will almost always be on the losing end. There will be criticism and negativity. I'm just glad that they're not letting those things run their choices. They're making a difference whether they're making an appearance, or doing something more involved. It brings attention to a cause, and that means more volunteers, donations, etc. It would be wonderful if Catherine volunteered with EACH, or at a school for kids with special needs. However, I think due to press attention, she'll have to figure out a way to do it so that it's private. Yes, that will tick the 'Kate is Lazy' brigade, but something like that should be done in private to respect the children and families that Catherine would be working with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I actually think Catherine's choices have been severely limited by the desire to not create another media sensation/icon out of a royal spouse. (Not that I think she minds. I think at her core, she's quite happy to play the support role and be as private as she can be)

I'd LOVE to see her volunteer at EACH but I think the chances of that happening are slim because "Princess with dying children" will always bring a ton of media attention.

William seems to be doing his best to find a meaningful role while maintaining some semblance of a life. It can't be easy.
You said everything I've been thinking!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post

There is political geography(national boundaries) and physical geography (land/water forms). Having a knowledge of both would be beneficial.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Glad that those who worked out of the spotlight are being recognized.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Glad that those who worked out of the spotlight are being recognized.
That's pretty much my opinion too. Very much something Wills (and Harry) would do.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I'm in agreement with you, as pretty much always. I think that many people are negative, because maybe their view of a 'fulfilling' job is being in the public eye, and basically being a show monkey. William, thankfully, wants to actually DO things to make a difference. I say, good for him! Maybe you, myself, and others see William's choice as something positive, because we've been in situations where actions did a lot more good than pure words or appearances. I know that as an educator I'm a big believer in doing, and making sure that the children get the best chance possible. William more than likely feels the same way. Yeah..I hope I'm making sense...

No, no matter what, William and Catherine will almost always be on the losing end. There will be criticism and negativity. I'm just glad that they're not letting those things run their choices. They're making a difference whether they're making an appearance, or doing something more involved. It brings attention to a cause, and that means more volunteers, donations, etc. It would be wonderful if Catherine volunteered with EACH, or at a school for kids with special needs. However, I think due to press attention, she'll have to figure out a way to do it so that it's private. Yes, that will tick the 'Kate is Lazy' brigade, but something like that should be done in private to respect the children and families that Catherine would be working with.

You said everything I've been thinking!
Like William said, " I want to be more than an ornament." I say Bravo.
I think you're right- I think a lot of my feelings come from not being helped in an active way when needed.
I was just using Catherine at EACH as an example though I think it would be great- provided it was private.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Theo Walcott has nominated Prince William for the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Theo WalcottVerified account ‏@theowalcott

Thank you to @professorgreen and Romeo Beckham for my nomination, I nominate @JST_89, @ThierryHenry and HRH Prince William #IceBucketChallenge please donate to ; http://www.macmillan.org.uk/donate/index.html
Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Harry was nominated too. I wonder if they'll do it? It would be great if they taped the challenge together.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

^^ That's what I'm thinking they'll do
Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

RAF Association welcomes HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a member
Quote:
The Royal Air Forces Association has welcomed Flt Lt HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a new member.

Nick Bunting, the RAF Association Secretary General, said: “Unsurprisingly the Association is thrilled to be welcoming the HRH The Duke of Cambridge as a member. The RAF Association is all about the RAF family providing friendship, help and support whenever and wherever it’s needed.”

The Duke of Cambridge completed seven-and-a-half years of full-time military service. His Royal Highness began his career with the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals) and later served with the Royal Air Force, with his final posting as an RAF Search and Rescue Pilot. The Duke of Cambridge left operational service in the Armed Forces in September 2013.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Friendship. Help. Support. IMO, that describes William to a T.
Love it- " Unsurprisingly, we are thrilled". They are right- not a surprise!
Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RoyalCentral: The Duke of Cambridge has arrived in Oxford (via @RobDavSky)
https://t.co/Hnv13LcD1s
Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

The talk of the day there is going to be people asking about Kate and offering congratulations...who will care why he's actually going there in the first place!

LaRae
Old 09-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Yep, if Catherine hadn't been going to start with they wouldn't have had to announce it. Overshadowing both this event and the Invictus Games.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Overshadowing both this event and the Invictus Games.
How THOUGHTLESS of this *horrid* woman to get pregnant...and be sick... KP had no choice but to announce it today !
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince William has arrived in Oxford to formally open The Dickson Poon University building on the on the day he and his wife the Duchess of Cambridge announced the couple were expecting their second child. Kate was due to appear with Prince William today but was too unwell to attend, suffering with hyperemesis gravidarum - acute morning sickness-
Home - ITNSource News

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 12m
William: "I am sorry that Catherine cannot join me today. She is sorry to miss it and she hopes to come back in the future to meet you all"

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS