The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what time the royals will be arriving and will they be handing out any award/s?

Not sure the arrival time. William will be presenting an award.

The Duke of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

Going by past red carpets, they would be arriving relatively close to the start of the awards. They are not going to be doing the red carpet chit chat the nominees will be doing pimping their clothing and movies.

William is presenting the BAFTAS Fellowship to Mel Brooks. I imagine someone in the industry with help with the presentation.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess just makes a very stunning couple. They're very elegant tonight.

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge made their arrival at the BAFTA Awards Sunday evening about twenty minutes before the ceremony was set to begin. Kate—in her first-ever appearance at the awards show wore a black, off-the-shoulder Alexander McQueen gown—adorned with small white flowers. William, who has been President of BAFTA since 2010, wore a tux.
Home - ITNSource News

I like the dress, LOVE the jewels.

I know Ill get jumped on for saying this. However, standing up against sexual violence is NOT making a political statement anymore than Charles and co working against climate change is. I think it was in extremely bad taste for her to show up in non-black. If the politics was too much to deal with, she should have just not come. The black dress code was announced before their attendance was.

I know Ill get jumped on for saying this. However, standing up against sexual violence is NOT making a political statement anymore than Charles and co working against climate change is. I think it was in extremely bad taste for her to show up in non-black. If the politics was too much to deal with, she should have just not come. The black dress code was announced before their attendance was.

It doesn't follow that the black dress code was announced before her dress plans had been made for the night, however.

It's Jenny Packham, likely bespoke, which means the dress was designed and the fabric was purchased, cut, and fitted a while back.

So if you're Kate, and you've just spent thousands of pounds on a bespoke gown, how do you justify having a *second* bespoke gown made, when you're 7 months pregnant in what's very likely to be your last pregnancy?

The Duke of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

I don’t think anyone should be told what to wear. If I were attending the awards, I’d resent being told I had to wear a specific color for ANY reason. Seriously? People who are protesting being forced into a bad situation are now going to force people to wear the same color? Seriously?!

To me- this is way beyond just a political statement issue for the royals. I personally think wearing the same color is meaningless. Everyone knows there are sexual violence issues. It is literally all over the news all the time. Wearing black doesn’t bring attention to anything. It doesn’t even mean you actually passionately care about the issue. Maybe you’re just conforming because it’s the popular thing to do. Nor does it change anything. Just because the entertainment industry has suddenly decided there is a problem doesn’t mean everyone needs to be told what to wear and shamed if they CHOOSE to wear a different color. The whole thing annoys me to no end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the dress. Love the jewels. An up do would have been nice, but her hair looks beautiful down too.

I don’t think anyone should be told what to wear. If I were attending the awards, I’d resent being told I had to wear a specific color for ANY reason. Seriously? People who are protesting being forced into a bad situation are now going to force people to wear the same color? Seriously?!

To me- this is way beyond just a political statement issue for the royals. I personally think wearing the same color is meaningless. Everyone knows there are sexual violence issues. It is literally all over the news all the time. Wearing black doesn’t bring attention to anything. It doesn’t even mean you actually passionately care about the issue. Maybe you’re just conforming because it’s the popular thing to do. Nor does it change anything. Just because the entertainment industry has suddenly decided there is a problem doesn’t mean everyone needs to be told what to wear and shamed if they CHOOSE to wear a different color. The whole thing annoys me to no end.

That goes to reckon you would never wear a cancer or aids ribbon right ?? :whistling:

Everyone knows about breast cancer. Wearing a ribbon is not going to save lives. People must be joining the band wagon right, because its the popular thing to do, to wear a ribbon to support cancer? I mean how possibly could wearing a ribbon ever change anything at all.

Its called showing support. Telling people they aren't alone. No one is forcing you to wear black. Or a ribbon. Its simply a sign of solidarity. Like wearing a puzzle piece for autism. Like wearing a ribbon is not going to cure cancer, you wear it to show support for those suffering and raise awareness for a cure, the same goes for wearing black.

I wear a burgundy ribbon on everything. Hopefully no one looks at me and think I jumped on some band wagon. Or maybe cancer is simply a more popular topic.

Not often I agree with Piers Morgan. Catherine is being harassed but an anti harassment movement.

Piers Morgan Twitter:

Duchess of Cambridge being abused by 'feminists' on Twitter for not wearing a black dress at tonight's #BAFTAS*.

Apparently, she's not allowed to exercise HER feminist right to wear whatever colour dress she chooses.

Catherine looks beautiful tonight. This is probably one of the best gowns she's worn and those jewels are fabulous.

I'm 100% in support of the Times Up movement, but I don't have a problem if a celeb (or royal) decides not to wear black at any of these events. The color they wear doesn't prove they support the movement. I mean, let's just take a look at James Franco. He showed up at the Golden Globes wearing a 'Time's Up' pin and then a few days later it came out that he had sexually harassed a number of women. For me, actions speak louder than the color someone chooses to wear.

Catherine looks beautiful tonight. This is probably one of the best gowns she's worn and those jewels are fabulous.

I'm 100% in support of the Times Up movement, but I don't have a problem if a celeb (or royal) decides not to wear black at any of these events. The color they wear doesn't prove they support the movement. I mean, let's just take a look at James Franco. He showed up at the Golden Globes wearing a 'Time's Up' pin and then a few days later it came out that he had sexually harassed a number of women. For me, actions speak louder than the color someone chooses to wear.

Hear, hear!

Not often I agree with Piers Morgan. Catherine is being harassed but an anti harassment movement.

Piers Morgan Twitter:

Duchess of Cambridge being abused by 'feminists' on Twitter for not wearing a black dress at tonight's #BAFTAS*.

Apparently, she's not allowed to exercise HER feminist right to wear whatever colour dress she chooses.

Nope because for a certain group of feminists you aren't allowed to hold other views or you will be attacked and degraded.

LaRae

No one is saying she can't wear what she wants. But people can comment on her choice, which is what they are doing. You have a free choice, and people have the right to question you on that. That isn't anti-feminist.

Kate was going to get critiqued either way, so why not take a stand FOR something if that is the case? Do I think black dresses solve sexual assault? No, but I do work in sexual violence and women's rights. This is my life, and these moments of solidarity are important. The royals, including William, have no problem making comments or taking stances on important issues even very controversial ones because it is the right thing to do.

SO yes, Kate had every right to wear this beautiful dress. And I have every right to say it was a bad move. Fashion is itself a statement as we know Kate understands with her deft sartorial diplomacy on other occasions.

Last edited:
I avoid the fashion threads because more often than not they're full of mean, petty comments. I will make an exception to say that I am personally so relieved that Kate didn't succumb to this weird diktat that women should wear black, it proves she's not a sheep like all those people who've never met a bandwagon they didn't jump right on to.

This movement has been hijacked by a group of people who believe that any person not holding an opinion EXACTLY the same as theirs is tantamount to a supporter of sexual abuse. They give feminism a bad name.

I avoid the fashion threads because more often than not they're full of mean, petty comments. I will make an exception to say that I am personally so relieved that Kate didn't succumb to this weird diktat that women should wear black, it proves she's not a sheep like all those people who've never met a bandwagon they didn't jump right on to.

This movement has been hijacked by a group of people who believe that any person not holding an opinion EXACTLY the same as theirs is tantamount to a supporter of sexual abuse. They give feminism a bad name.

Exactly so.

LaRae

That goes to reckon you would never wear a cancer or aids ribbon right ?? :whistling:

Everyone knows about breast cancer. Wearing a ribbon is not going to save lives. People must be joining the band wagon right, because its the popular thing to do, to wear a ribbon to support cancer? I mean how possibly could wearing a ribbon ever change anything at all.

Its called showing support. Telling people they aren't alone. No one is forcing you to wear black. Or a ribbon. Its simply a sign of solidarity. Like wearing a puzzle piece for autism. Like wearing a ribbon is not going to cure cancer, you wear it to show support for those suffering and raise awareness for a cure, the same goes for wearing black.

I wear a burgundy ribbon on everything. Hopefully no one looks at me and think I jumped on some band wagon. Or maybe cancer is simply a more popular topic.

You should not be told to wear one. Wear one if you want. It is about choice imo. All I see is a lot of peer pressure.

I don’t see how wearing black tells people they aren’t alone. We just see things differently.

AIDS, sexual harassment, cancer are all important issues. How you choose to support it should be your choice. Not one forced on you.

Piers Morgan Twitter:

Exactly. She should wear what she wants. You said what I’ve been trying to say so much more succinctly.

We have a real problem if we’re going to judge someone based on the color dress she chooses. But it doesn’t surprise me. Everyone has to fall in line these days.

Yep. Trying to enforce a dress code on women is by it's nature anti-feminist. It's also a diversionary tactic. Hollywood has been covering up this abuse for years, a public relations nightmare for them, now they are trying to use this dress code to appear "woke", and to switch the pitchfork aim from the abusing men in their industry to any woman who doesn't join in on their PR makeover.

You have longtime, ardent supporters of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen prancing around in black dresses at these shows and being applauded for it. It's both ironic and hilarious. But kudos to the PR person who thought up the idea to turn Hollywood from enablers to "heroes" just on a red carpet fashion show.

It would be so cool if we could save our moral outrage for the people who commit sexual assault rather than women who wear a different coloured dress to everyone else.

Via Food Fashion Fit Twitter

Catherine would be getting some criticism one way or another for attending this event. If she wears color, people supporting the black clothing movement would hate her for it, if she wears black, people would come and hate her for being political. She was brave to come to this event and I applaude her for that, she's amazing! Besides that, I don't see much fuss about the color IMO, it's dark green, if it was bright pink ok, but it's quite dark, I don't understand this whole criticism...it's...just...a...dress...

Come on, guys!!!! Even the Daily Mail aknowledged that her black accesories(bag and ribbon) were a nod to the movement, so just LET IT BE!!!
I think she made the right choice, wearing some black but not all black-it was very wise of her or of her advisors!

Last edited:
So the actresses that worn black last night also wear black every other day too ??? Kate wasn’t there as an actress because she isn’t she is a royal if it was Meghan I could understand people’s outrage because she was an actress before and probably had seen that behavior I think Kate did well to pick a dark color the dress was a beautiful dress for a 6 month pregnant princess

It would be so cool if we could save our moral outrage for the people who commit sexual assault rather than women who wear a different coloured dress to everyone else.

Via Food Fashion Fit Twitter

Absolutely right so sad women put down other women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom