The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

More photogallery from yesterday

Kate Middleton Pictures - Kate Middleton Visits The Royal Marsden Hospital - Zimbio **
Kate Middleton Pictures - Prince William Out With Kate Middleton - Zimbio **
Kate Middleton Pictures - Will and Kate in Surrey - Zimbio **
Kate Middleton Pictures - Will and Kate on second royal engagement - Zimbio

Prince William & Duchess Kate Visit Royal Marsden Hospital | Kate Middleton, Prince William : Just Jared ** Prince William and Kate Middleton Pictures at Royal Marsden Hospital

"Hola": Tras una noche en vela en misión de rescate, el príncipe Guillermo cumple con su agenda oficial al lado de su esposa ** Google Traduttore

Kate Middleton éblouit au côté du prince William, là où Diana brilla autrefois

Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Please lets not start the William is Diana's son discussion again....it gives off the impression that Charles had no role in William's up bringing. Whether one means or not....very often it is interpreted that way and we go off topic.

Thank you!
please, let me to said something to you. of course william's is chalres's son, but when we see him do something that diana do in the past we think ''well, he do this like his mother'' when I see william play polo I said too ''well, he do this like his father'', I onlt said something I think, nothing more. why always we posted one feeling happend this? here everyone are royals's fans and we have different feeling about the same thing, so is nice can ``compartir'' I can't said the word in english, with another people, and read the felling of another people here. sorry for my english, is very bad

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Serene Highness

I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger
I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.
I'm sure the proper permissions were sought and given before photographing the children, I believe it gives a human face to the cause and brings the proper attention to it which isn't that sort of the whole point of a Royal visit? To bring notice to a worthy cause......and this gain maybe otherwise unlikely supporters.....
Old 09-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Majesty

In relation to being photographed while being inside the hospital and with patients, I would bet a limb that the said patients would be asked if they want to be photographed or not, it's only courteous. We would ask William or Catherine if they would mind posing for a picture with us, so the same courtesy is extended to these patients (or any people associated with any cause these two, or anyone else represent[s]).

Anyway, here's the text of William's speech from yesterday:

The Prince of Wales - A speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge at the opening of the Oak Centre for Children and Young People, Royal Marsden Hospital, Surrey

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

It's good of them to support charities Like william's mother ,princess di since they've opened a cancer charity and it really was different for the bride to donate her dress to charity unlike others whose dresses have gone into storage then soon after to a museaum
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kate Middleton Ring: Why Wasn't She Wearing It? : People.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

From the above article.

Quote:
A palace source tells PEOPLE that Kate, 29, had slipped off and placed it in her clutch – for hygiene reasons on advice of the hospital staff.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Could Kate have forgotten to put it on when she left or why?

It's good to hear this and it solves the mystery for all of us who kept wondering.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Oh, I so respectfully disagree with you. That little lad did not look like a prop, he looked like a joyful child, having the time of his life...
And William seemed to be doing a fine job relating to and seeing the child.
To me, what you are saying when you say don't photograph Royals with ill people, is that Royalty should not publicly visit hospitals. That may not be what you meant, but that's how it comes across.
Because the reason they do is to raise public awareness. How can you do that without photographs?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For a child (or an adult in that matter) that has been subjected to myriads of hospital stays, treatments and poked and prodded and most likely realizes what monster sickness they are trying to battle, I would think that a visit from someone like William and Kate would be a very bright spotlight in a dreary routine. I would bet too that everyone involved in this latest visit has been hyped up and eager about it for weeks if not months in advance.

When William and Kate visit and get so interactive with the people and the patients, its what memories of a lifetime are made of. During my years here at TRF, I've read many stories that recall with pride and honor of times they've met a royal or famous person and that it was a time they'll cherish forever.

I really have a strong feeling that both William and Kate are going to be very pro-active with children's causes in the years ahead.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, thank goodness she didn't take it off and leave it on the sink in the ladies' room when she washed her hands!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.

I don't think it has to do with the antiseptic gel but the diamonds surrounding the sapphire which may accidentally scratch one of the children.
Also, while the woman in the red dress works at the hospital, she may not have actually touched any of the children in the way William and Catherine did and so possibly didn't use antiseptic gel while Catherine did...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

That was my first thought too about the ring possibly hurting or scratching someone.

Makes me realize too that when both William and Kate took all these precautions of scrubbing up and rolling up sleeves and tucking ties and removing jewelry, they obviously had the intent of interacting as much as they possibly could with these children. Nope... definitely NOT a photo-op.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Majesty

I think Osipi and roseroyal expressed what I wanted to say in a perfect manner. This visit wasn't about photo shoots or anything else. It was about bringing attention to the cause and joy to the children and their families. The little boy in the picture looks bemused, but not miserable for being asked to interact with William. Bet he thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:43 PM

Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

William and Kate,both of them were looking just great during their visit,the expressions of their faces revealed so much kindness and empathy,that just could not help admiring the couple.I am glad they take the path and example of elder royals(especially of late Princess Diana) in this route of visiting and protecting charity organizations and hospitals etc.Of course they will have to learn more,but I think William's mother,Princess of Wales,would have been very proud of him without any doubt.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN1981 View Post
Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.
After reading your post, I removed my rings and took a good serious look at them under a bright light and UGH!!! If I'm correct, a lot of transference of germs such as colds, viruses and such are transmitted through the hands even more than the mouth. So I guess that not only having William and Kate going "antiseptic" with their visit protected the patients but its also taught us here a thing or two too eh?

And.. a big welcome to TRF!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I'm certain the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit did a world of good for those young patients, and probably brought them a beneficial dose of medicine in addition to the ones they normally receive.

And, FYI, if anyone wants to clean their rings really well, squirt sudsy liquid detergent in a small pot of water with a little ammonia, bring it to a boil, shut off the flame and put your jewelry in (with the exception of pearls and opals). Do not boil the water with your jewelry in it! Let the water cool, take your jewelry out and scrub with a child's toothbrush. I've used this method for years on my rings and the grime really comes out.