The Duke of Cambridge as President of The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please lets not start the William is Diana's son discussion again....it gives off the impression that Charles had no role in William's up bringing. Whether one means or not....very often it is interpreted that way and we go off topic.

Thank you!
please, let me to said something to you. of course william's is chalres's son, but when we see him do something that diana do in the past we think ''well, he do this like his mother'' when I see william play polo I said too ''well, he do this like his father'', I onlt said something I think, nothing more. why always we posted one feeling happend this? here everyone are royals's fans and we have different feeling about the same thing, so is nice can ``compartir'' I can't said the word in english, with another people, and read the felling of another people here. sorry for my english, is very bad

I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.

Tyger said:
I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.

I'm sure the proper permissions were sought and given before photographing the children, I believe it gives a human face to the cause and brings the proper attention to it which isn't that sort of the whole point of a Royal visit? To bring notice to a worthy cause......and this gain maybe otherwise unlikely supporters.....

In relation to being photographed while being inside the hospital and with patients, I would bet a limb that the said patients would be asked if they want to be photographed or not, it's only courteous. We would ask William or Catherine if they would mind posing for a picture with us, so the same courtesy is extended to these patients (or any people associated with any cause these two, or anyone else represent).

Anyway, here's the text of William's speech from yesterday:

The Prince of Wales - A speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge at the opening of the Oak Centre for Children and Young People, Royal Marsden Hospital, Surrey

It's good of them to support charities Like william's mother ,princess di since they've opened a cancer charity and it really was different for the bride to donate her dress to charity unlike others whose dresses have gone into storage then soon after to a museaum

Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.

From the above article.

A palace source tells PEOPLE that Kate, 29, had slipped off and placed it in her clutch – for hygiene reasons on advice of the hospital staff.

Could Kate have forgotten to put it on when she left or why?

It's good to hear this and it solves the mystery for all of us who kept wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I so respectfully disagree with you. That little lad did not look like a prop, he looked like a joyful child, having the time of his life...
And William seemed to be doing a fine job relating to and seeing the child.
To me, what you are saying when you say don't photograph Royals with ill people, is that Royalty should not publicly visit hospitals. That may not be what you meant, but that's how it comes across.
Because the reason they do is to raise public awareness. How can you do that without photographs?

For a child (or an adult in that matter) that has been subjected to myriads of hospital stays, treatments and poked and prodded and most likely realizes what monster sickness they are trying to battle, I would think that a visit from someone like William and Kate would be a very bright spotlight in a dreary routine. I would bet too that everyone involved in this latest visit has been hyped up and eager about it for weeks if not months in advance.

When William and Kate visit and get so interactive with the people and the patients, its what memories of a lifetime are made of. During my years here at TRF, I've read many stories that recall with pride and honor of times they've met a royal or famous person and that it was a time they'll cherish forever.

I really have a strong feeling that both William and Kate are going to be very pro-active with children's causes in the years ahead.

Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.

I don't think it has to do with the antiseptic gel but the diamonds surrounding the sapphire which may accidentally scratch one of the children.
Also, while the woman in the red dress works at the hospital, she may not have actually touched any of the children in the way William and Catherine did and so possibly didn't use antiseptic gel while Catherine did... :)

That was my first thought too about the ring possibly hurting or scratching someone.

Makes me realize too that when both William and Kate took all these precautions of scrubbing up and rolling up sleeves and tucking ties and removing jewelry, they obviously had the intent of interacting as much as they possibly could with these children. Nope... definitely NOT a photo-op. :D

I think Osipi and roseroyal expressed what I wanted to say in a perfect manner. This visit wasn't about photo shoots or anything else. It was about bringing attention to the cause and joy to the children and their families. The little boy in the picture looks bemused, but not miserable for being asked to interact with William. Bet he thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.

William and Kate,both of them were looking just great during their visit,the expressions of their faces revealed so much kindness and empathy,that just could not help admiring the couple.I am glad they take the path and example of elder royals(especially of late Princess Diana) in this route of visiting and protecting charity organizations and hospitals etc.Of course they will have to learn more,but I think William's mother,Princess of Wales,would have been very proud of him without any doubt.

Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.

After reading your post, I removed my rings and took a good serious look at them under a bright light and UGH!!! If I'm correct, a lot of transference of germs such as colds, viruses and such are transmitted through the hands even more than the mouth. So I guess that not only having William and Kate going "antiseptic" with their visit protected the patients but its also taught us here a thing or two too eh?

And.. a big welcome to TRF!!!

Well, I'm certain the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit did a world of good for those young patients, and probably brought them a beneficial dose of medicine in addition to the ones they normally receive.

And, FYI, if anyone wants to clean their rings really well, squirt sudsy liquid detergent in a small pot of water with a little ammonia, bring it to a boil, shut off the flame and put your jewelry in (with the exception of pearls and opals). Do not boil the water with your jewelry in it! Let the water cool, take your jewelry out and scrub with a child's toothbrush. I've used this method for years on my rings and the grime really comes out.

Last edited:
Just watched the You Tube vid of this visit. The most lovely thing was when Alice came forward to give the Duchess her bouquet the Duke's face positively and genuinely LIT up with joy at seeing her again!

Just watched the You Tube vid of this visit. The most lovely thing was when Alice came forward to give the Duchess her bouquet the Duke's face positively and genuinely LIT up with joy at seeing her again!

Oh those are the precious moments that really makes you realize there is good in the world.

Thank you!Will is so sweet!

Thank you!Will is so sweet!

(Remember folks I don't hear well and don't have sound hooked up to my computer.)

The only part of William and Kate's visit I think that gave Wills a spot of the heebie jeebies was making that speech. He's not much of a public speaker... yet.

He's totally at ease talking one on one with the kids and folks but being in the suit coat and making an "official" speech, you can tell he's not that comfortable. I thought too that for the "official" part of the revealing the plaque, both William and Kate did put on the official duty actions.

In other words, they were more themselves until the "official" part had to be done. Then again I do picture Wills as a more roll up the sleeves type of guy than a staunch "by the rules" type. Perhaps its just me.

:previous:I also see how Will is more comfortable in the meet and greet in comparison to making formal speeches; he seems so natural in relating to people. I wonder if he has a hand in the speechwriting, or leaves it up to his staff; at the very least, I'm sure he reviews it and has his input. As well, I like how Will motioned Kate over to his side and deferred to her in pulling the curtain cord to the plaque; he just seems to want to present her to the public as much as possible.

Thank you for the videos, ghost_night!

One of my favorite parts was seeing Catherine color with a little girl. She had such a smile on her face. I think this couple does enjoy one-to-one interactions with patients/members of the public (and William is indeed better at that part and feels more comfortable when doing it). Catherine seems to handle the attention with a little more ease than her husband. However, I always love seeing them interact with people. They're natural and sincere.

I have the same impression. With the Duchess, it's natural that she'd find official occasions a bit uncomfortable; William and she will hopefully become more comfortable as the years go by. I remember seeing a video of Prince Edward wherein he says that he tries to make things like plaque unveiling a bit entertaining so that they aren't all the same all the time. I guess that the frustrated actor in him.;)

In other words, they were more themselves until the "official" part had to be done. Then again I do picture Wills as a more roll up the sleeves type of guy than a staunch "by the rules" type. Perhaps its just me.

I have the same impression. With the Duchess, it's natural that she'd find official occasions a bit uncomfortable; William and she will hopefully become more comfortable as the years go by. I remember seeing a video of Prince Edward wherein he says that he tries to make things like plaque unveiling a bit entertaining so that they aren't all the same all the time. I guess that the frustrated actor in him.;)

I can understand where he's coming from though. When you're doing the same thing only at different places, it can get a little tedious. I think it's a great idea to liven it up a bit (for the audience and the Royal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom