The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I see no reasonable excuse for Kate not to have attended this dinner.

1. She steals the spotlight from the cause - yes, this always happens. And what is the solution? Never appear so that the spotlight is in the cause? No. Otherwise, she could never appear.

2. She is a hands on mother - does this mean she cannot leave George for some hours once a week, at least?

3. They'll do separate gigs to spread the influence more widely - it would make sense if they had a busy schedule, which is not the case, specially for Kate.

4. They'll only do things related with each others patronages - Same as 3. plus, there are some kind of events where one usually brings our plus one, even if they are not related with what is happening. Dinners are one of these events: couples attend together.

Anyway, I was not a fan of the sartorial choice of the women, in general. But then, there was Cate Blanchet:
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/73...13a8b6e38d.jpg

Old 05-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Emeli Sande, Benedict Cumberbatch, Kate Moss, Emily Watson and Cate Blanchett were amongst the celebrities who joined designer Ralph Lauren at a charity gala hosted by the Duke of Cambridge at Winsdor Castle this evening, in aid of the Royal Marsden Hospital-
Home - ITNSource News

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Courtier

No one seems to question why when Kate does her solo engangements why William wasn't there. Kate has been to plently of solo gala dinners solo. I see no problem with this.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
I see no reasonable excuse for Kate not to have attended this dinner.

1. She steals the spotlight from the cause - yes, this always happens. And what is the solution? Never appear so that the spotlight is in the cause? No. Otherwise, she could never appear.

2. She is a hands on mother - does this mean she cannot leave George for some hours once a week, at least?

3. They'll do separate gigs to spread the influence more widely - it would make sense if they had a busy schedule, which is not the case, specially for Kate.

4. They'll only do things related with each others patronages - Same as 3. plus, there are some kind of events where one usually brings our plus one, even if they are not related with what is happening. Dinners are one of these events: couples attend together.

Anyway, I was not a fan of the sartorial choice of the women, in general. But then, there was Cate Blanchet:
http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/73...13a8b6e38d.jpg
On the contrary, I see absolutely no reason why she should attend an event like this. Her presence would not add to the funds being raised, nor would it bring additional attention to the cause. Why bother in that case, other than to give us bloggers and posters an opportunity to comment on her clothes, hair and jewellery.

It is clear the Royal Marsden is a charity that is close to William's heart, and it is clear he does his bit to support them.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post

No one seems to question why when Kate does her solo engangements why William wasn't there. Kate has been to plently of solo gala dinners solo. I see no problem with this.
Quite right.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Take the Women in Hedge Fund Dinners- 2011 Both William and Kate attend, 2012- William only (benefit of dinner Centerpoint ) IRC, 2013- Kate Only (benefit Addiction on Addiction). This year, it's Well Child which Harry should attend. 2015 it's the Art Room which should be Kate.

No one made a stink about William not crossing over to the State Rooms of KP for this gala but days later when Kate didn't go to the Centerpoint gala at the same location, it was made a deal even though KP never said she was going.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Still, those who were invited are expected to give large donations, and I don't blame them for being annoyed that Kate wasn't there. (Like Ralph Lauren).
Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Still, those who were invited are expected to give large donations, and I don't blame them for being annoyed that Kate wasn't there. (Like Ralph Lauren).

Why? Kate is not the patron of the organization, nor did anyone ever say she was planning to attend.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Courtier

I would undestand if the palace had said, "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are hosting a dinner" and Kate didn't show up. But they didn't.This dinner has been planned months in advance and the decsions of whether Catherine should attend was made ages ago.

It's perfectly fine for Catherine to go on solo glitzy dinners and no one bats an eyelid but for William it seen as odd and rude if Catherine doesn't attend. I sick and tired of double-standards.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
By that very same argument, they are very entitled to take umbrage that HM herself was not present.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
This is the first time I have seen that anyone was "annoyed" that Catherine did not attend. So could you please give the source of this information?

The people invited are already Friends of The Royal Marsden (ie work/support/donate on behalf of...) and this was William's way of saying thank-you.

The invitation would have been specific about who the Host of the event was. At no time in the UK media was Catherine stated to appear.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post
This is the first time I have seen that anyone was "annoyed" that Catherine did not attend. So could you please give the source of this information?

Just google Lauren and Kate; it's mentioned in lots of places like YahooNews:
Kate Middleton's Absence at Windsor Castle Dinner Disappoints Ralph Lauren

Also it's in the DM (though I hesitate to mention that because people always dismiss the DM).
Old 05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

It was reported by Sebastian Shakespeare whose is Daily Mail's gossip guy. A lot of the time the same story gets picked up on other websites. However, just because it is on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. The papers had George's godparents named before the Christening and only 1 was right. It was also reported that no close royal family member was name- 1st cousin Zara is pretty close. Don't forget the whole it's a girl from Kate's visit to Grisby. That was so right, not.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
By that very same argument, they are very entitled to take umbrage that HM herself was not present.
Totally different. HM is not William's wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalDaisy View Post

The people invited are already Friends of The Royal Marsden (ie work/support/donate on behalf of...) and this was William's way of saying thank-you.

The invitation would have been specific about who the Host of the event was. At no time in the UK media was Catherine stated to appear.
Apparently, Ralph Lauren was disappointed when he found out that Kate wouldn't be there long time ago, not yesterday.

I completely understand people who expected Kate to be there, whether involved in the charity or not. This happens because couples attend together some kinds of events. If a man is hosting a dinner (specially a gala dinner), he usually has his wife by his side to help him receive the guests and entertain them. Or even if he is just a guest. For example, the gala's special guest was Mr. Ralph Lauren, obviously, Mrs. Ralph Lauren was there by her husband's side. Lauren's son David was also there, with his wife Lauren. Kate Moss brought her husband too.
Most people, when married, bring their husbands/wives to dinners, galas, etc. Specially if you're going to have a prominent role there, you like to have your loved one to support you. That's why invitations usually allow a plus one.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Cambridge wasn't scheduled to attend and I think Mr. & Mrs Lauren knew that Catherine wasn't going to be there. William just made sure he acknowledged Catherine's absence to the Lauren.

Many members of the royal family don't attend all gala events with their spouses. Recently Catherine attended some gala events for her charities without William as well. I didn't see many people complain about it. There are some events like this where they do appear together though.

The media is looking for a story because fashion designer Ralph Lauren and his family attended and they thought it would've been nice to have a fashionable royal like Catherine there as well.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Look, if I can have an event where the Duke of Cambridge is speaking on behalf of my charity, I'm thrilled. The cachet and publicity alone are priceless.
We demean Williams efforts when we spread a rumor that Lauren was unhappy at a Wills only appearance.
Ralph Lauren has much better manners than that. Plus he is not stupid. To say he was unhappy would put him on a dress provider blacklist in a heartbeat.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 15h15 hours ago
This Father's Day we are sharing photos for @royalmarsden #fatherandsonday for male cancer:
https://www.royalmarsden.org/fathera...mpaign=appeals

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Majesty

The Royal Marsden ‏@royalmarsden
We're really excited that our President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, will be visiting our Sutton hospital on Wednesday 18 November!

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Duke of Cambridge, President, will visit The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, on November 18.

Prince William, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of The Royal Marsden
Old 11-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Royal Marsden ‏@royalmarsden
We're really excited that our President, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, will be visiting our Sutton hospital on Wednesday 18 November!

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
The Duke of Cambridge, President, will visit The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, on November 18.

Prince William, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of The Royal Marsden
Why am I already in tears? Probably because I know this man is magic, and that he will make people's day who really need it. Plus the pictures here are awesome too.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the heads-up Rudolph! I'm sure the visit will be amazing due to William's people skills.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.