The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I’m pretty sure miss whirley was being sarcastic. It doesn’t translate well on the internet.

Kudos to Kate for not bowing to bullying on such a ridiculous made up Hollywood non issue. How many of these people throwing fits over sexual assault sat idly by while children including young boys were sexually exploited? And I'm glad people are calling out the hypocrisy of these women who stay silent when their friends, Roman and Woody, are involved.
Kate can do more to help ALL victims of assault through her charity work. As a woman and mother of a son and daughter she is probably concerned with the safety of ALL those who are at risk.

Modern feminism breathes off of bullying especially from women towards women.

Last edited:
Prince William does appear to make reference to the Hollywood sex abuse scandal here - in a foreword to the BAFTA programme. Pays tribute to the "brave people" who "spoke up about bullying, harassment and abuse". Didn't use the word "women" but can surely only mean #TimesUp*

Via Jack Royston Twitter was

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWWiKxKXUAA_pKL.jpg

Perhaps just read that again, and THINK ?

Guys, I’m pretty sure miss whirley was being sarcastic. It doesn’t translate well on the internet.

Yes, I was being sarcastic as evidenced on the previous page when I explained my real viewpoint on this so called "dress code". But I'm not surprised that some read my second post without sarcasm, because that's exactly the type of ridiculous criticism that women are facing in this so-called movement. One that puts more demands on women to change rather than on the men to change.

Glad he referenced it as the President of the awards.

Prince William does appear to make reference to the Hollywood sex abuse scandal here - in a foreword to the BAFTA programme. Pays tribute to the "brave people" who "spoke up about bullying, harassment and abuse". Didn't use the word "women" but can surely only mean #TimesUp*

Via Jack Royston Twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWWiKxKXUAA_pKL.jpg

Clearly there are ways to offer support without gimmick clothing

Of course he wouldn't use the word women. As we learned with Terry Crews and the victims of Kevin Spacey, etc.. there were male victims too who bravely spoke up.

Brave people ...that was well phrased...because it's men too not just women who face abuse and harassment at the hands of sexual predators.

LaRae

Brave people ...that was well phrased...because it's men too not just women who face abuse and harassment at the hands of sexual predators.

LaRae
THANK YOU!!!!! I for one think Corey Feldman has truth behind his crazy rantings.

THANK YOU!!!!! I for one think Corey Feldman has truth behind his crazy rantings.

That's exactly who I was thinking of too! People tried to say he was crazy or making stuff up etc. I think they are forced to reconsider what he said now.

Terrible how they treat folks who try and stand up.

LaRae

Why all this fuss about The Duchess of Cambridge wearing green? So she doesn’t take part in the political “Time's Up protest” - Now she is abused online! This is McCarthyism-style bullying of the worst kind. Why must she make a political statement? Her work speaks for itself.

Via Robert Jobson Twitter

Yes, I was being sarcastic as evidenced on the previous page when I explained my real viewpoint on this so called "dress code". But I'm not surprised that some read my second post without sarcasm, because that's exactly the type of ridiculous criticism that women are facing in this so-called movement. One that puts more demands on women to change rather than on the men to change.

I apologise for misreading the tone of your second post.

LaRae

Agreed! It was a good statement and glad he did acknowledge it.

At any other time, I would have thought it would be politic to wear black and Catherine has certainly worn black in the evening and looked wonderful but I think people need to be realistic here.

Catherine is pregnant and they would have to have made a guess as to what would fit her at this stage and allowed for movement by designing a dress along earlier successful designs allowing for a larger than expected "bump" to enable Catherine to move around with comfort.

The bespoke gown would have been well underway before the "black hammer" fell and we also have to understand that every couture house must have been inundated with BAFTA gowns so it would have been no easy thing to have switched the colour.

By this time Catherine has to be feeling pretty much "blah, I wish this was over" and black may have been the last thing she would have wanted to wear. I think she made an admirable compromise and looked marvellous. Her attendance was a plus, after all, she could have pulled a sickie to solve the problem.

Would The Queen have worn black? We all know the answer.

Every ‘movement’ gets highjacked. Now some ‘feminists’ are using it to advance their political agendas

BAFTA Awards 2018: Time's Up protesters storm red carpet | Daily Mail Online

No black for Frances McDormand...

The amazing talent that is Frances McDormand showing younger women how to counter sexism in film - strong and confident in herself. So much more powerful than wearing an expensive black dress because you have to this year #BAFTAs2018*

Via Sarah Rutherford Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
No fuss, but this makes me sad. To Quote the Fug Girls: "Since when is saying, “sexual assault is bad, please don’t harass people at work” a partisan political statement? "
[/url]. :(

If this was all it meant I could maybe agree. An article in the Sunday Times last week, based on an opinion piece by the feminist professor Katie Roiphe of NYU rather summed up what this movement has become:

The fury of what she called “Twitter feminism” is terrifying more moderate voices into silence. She des*cribed her “whisper network”, friends and contacts who are concerned about what they see as the excesses of the #MeToo movement but are afraid to say so publicly for fear of vilification.

Before the article had even gone to press a campaign was already being waged online to have it suppressed. *Writers and advertisers were pressurised not to work with Harper’s following a rumour that Roiphe would “out” the anonymous creator of an online list detailing the sexual mis*demeanours of “shitty media men”.

Roiphe was viciously abused online, labelled as “pro-rape”, “human scum”, a “ghoul”, a “bitch” and a “monster out of Stephen King’s It”.

The movement has also had corrosive and tragic effects. This was highlighted last week when Jill Messick, a Hollywood executive, took her own life. She had been pulled into a bitter fight between Weinstein and the actress and activist Rose McGowan.

This is no longer a movement opposing sexual assault of women. It's a vehicle to push the political aspirations of a bunch of extremists who demand that articles not bent on glorifying it should be suppressed. This has become women silencing women. This is incredibly dangerous IMO and Kate was right to stay out of it.

I saw the reference about William's speech about all victims. I also saw the hits Kate is getting on Twitter for the dress. I'm worried because it has been reported some of the celebrities brought activists against sexual violence as their guests for this event. No telling what they thought of Kate's gown, but if it went down the wrong way for them expect TV interviews and other statements of displeasure.

I doubt they thought one way or the other about it and I seriously doubt they'll give interviews/release statements because she didn't wear a black dress.

Frances McDormand wore a red outfit and when she got up and spoke, she stated that even though she didn't wear black, she still supports the movement. So I imagine folks in the audience understand that not wearing black doesn't mean you don't support them.

Last edited:
If this was all it meant I could maybe agree. An article in the Sunday Times last week, based on an opinion piece by the feminist professor Katie Roiphe of NYU rather summed up what this movement has become:

This is no longer a movement opposing sexual assault of women. It's a vehicle to push the political aspirations of a bunch of extremists who demand that articles not bent on glorifying it should be suppressed. This has become women silencing women. This is incredibly dangerous IMO and Kate was right to stay out of it.

With respect, as an assault survivor I state absolutely that this is not an extremist issue. 1 in 4 women are harassed or assaulted in their lifetimes and it's time for it to stop.

Are there people taking advantage of the press on this - yes. But that makes it no different than any other issue that heats up. Just because SOME LEADERS YOU DO NOT LIKE rant about the issue is no good reason to deny to people like me that there is validity in making a symbolic call to eliminate assault/harassment.

I'm off topic, but, please folks, open your minds... "Incredibly Dangerous" to whom? Our daughters?

I doubt they thought one way or the other about it and I seriously doubt they'll give interviews/release statements because she didn't wear a black dress.

Frances McDormand wore a red outfit and when she got up and spoke, she stated that even though she didn't wear black, she still supports the movement. So I imagine folks in the audience understand that not wearing black doesn't mean you don't support them.

She spoke at length about it actually. I like her black and red outfit and it fit with the nature of her and the character she played. Probably why people cheered especially when the first thing out her mouth was to talk about the cause. Kate doesn't have that luxury though I agree she likely supports it just as much. It is a dress at the end of the day. People will think what they want.

It would be so cool if we could save our moral outrage for the people who commit sexual assault rather than women who wear a different coloured dress to everyone else.

Via Food Fashion Fit Twitter

What a great sentence and viewpoint! Cheers to Rudolph.

It would be so cool if we could save our moral outrage for the people who commit sexual assault rather than women who wear a different coloured dress to everyone else.

Via Food Fashion Fit Twitter

What I have bolded in red, that is the most powerful message. Who cares what colour dress you wear - how about "maintaining the rage" for the low-life scum that COMMIT SEXUAL ASSAULT!

Anyone on this board, or any other, attacking Catherine for wearing a colour seriously need to check themselves. For the love of God, the seriousness of sexual assault, the victims, most who are silenced and ostracized, are the centrepoint here, not what colour dress you wear!

Those who are attacking the women who CHOSE NOT TO WEAR BLACK those are diluting the very message here, and frankly, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Instead of helping the cause, you are setting it backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree with this. There were some other actresses and actors who were not physically supporting the movement via clothing, yet nobody (as far as I am aware) seems to have hurled hate at them - and they are in a position to make political statements, since they don't have the disadvantage that Catherine does in it not being preferable for her to make political statements. Furthermore, Catherine wore a black belt, and so she is showing her support for the movement. She should have the right to wear what she wants without being abused about it by the militant feminists who criticise her on social media about it. Because that's not feminism - that's not treating Catherine the same as everyone else.

I, for one, really like Catherine's gown. The colour is gorgeous and she looks glowing.

I so agree with you. And I have to add that some of those black dresses worn at the Golden Globes were awfully low cut and suggestive which to me means that they are advertising what they have. Total hypocrisy.

Would The Queen have worn black? We all know the answer.

Every ‘movement’ gets highjacked. Now some ‘feminists’ are using it to advance their political agendas

BAFTA Awards 2018: Time's Up protesters storm red carpet | Daily Mail Online
I thing the Queen wears black only when protocol is asking for it (funerals, mourning, remembrances, etc) I think she keeps the old idea of wearing black, when wearing black was sign of something precise to say. And despite the seriousness of the sexual violence matter, I strongly doubt she would make part.

By this time Catherine has to be feeling pretty much "blah, I wish this was over" and black may have been the last thing she would have wanted to wear. I think she made an admirable compromise and looked marvellous. Her attendance was a plus, after all, she could have pulled a sickie to solve the problem.

I agree.
She could have taken the coward's way out and called in sick. At this stage of the pregnancy, who would blame her?
I think she was brave to go, and to ignore that dictate about wearing black.

(Probably a substantial portion of the people there are just jumping on the bandwagon, and are well-acquainted with the casting couch).

I think Kate looked fabulous and I am glad that she did not wear black.
The film industry is full of hypocracy, the metoo issue is as old as the industry itself and little has happened while most people have known about it all along and nothing happened because it's all about the money, for me all this wearing black is a publicity stunt of political correctness, nothing more.

I think Kate looked fabulous and I am glad that she did not wear black.
The film industry is full of hypocracy, the metoo issue is as old as the industry itself and little has happened while most people have known about it all along and nothing happened because it's all about the money, for me all this wearing black is a publicity stunt of political correctness, nothing more.

I agree. Although, Catherine wore a black waste band and carried a black purse, she didn’t have to wear total black. She looked great and showed her support at the same time.

The only reason why everyone is wearing black is because it’s become popular to do so. Before this, those in the entertainment industry just went along with the issue and didn’t bother to extend a helping hand to those who were abused/assaulted.

Princess Kate and Frances McDormand at the 2018 BAFTAs

Lainey raises good points here: Whetever or not she is getting good advice on stuff like this and the fact that 100 Women is one of their patronages.
If I were an adviser, I'd advice her to wear a dress like she did last night and immediately follow it up with some sort of announcement, visit or project that benefits the position and protection of women and girls in the workforce. A far better way to show support than by wearing a certain color dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom