The Duke of Cambridge as President of The BAFTA 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a message of support to all the young finalists, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of BAFTA, said: “I encourage you – our stars of tomorrow – to keep exploring your creativity and see where it takes you. A successful career in one of the fastest growing and most creative industries in this country is very much a possibility, regardless of your background or your gender. Judging by the potential you have already shown, your future, and the future of British games, is very bright indeed.”

The Duke also praised the “unrivalled access to the skills and expertise of top industry professionals” that the YGD initiative offers all year round.
Read more: BAFTA Announces Winners of Young Game Designers Awards at Special Ceremony | BAFTA

Bafta’s Scholarship Programme

A WIDNES student and budding film composer has been awarded a grant of nearly £10,000 for a scholarship to complete his studies

Christopher Schlechte-Bond, 22, is one of three beneficiaries to be named a Prince William Scholar – named after the Duke Of Cambridge – as part of the annual Bafta scholarship scheme.

The Duke Of Cambridge has congratulated the Widnes student and the other two recipients of the award – Hosea Ntaborwa and Shivani Shah – on their achievements.

He said: “As president of Bafta, I am proud of the opportunities for progression that the scheme offers.

“I would like to congratulate this year’s recipients Hosea, Christopher and Shivani – and all the new Bafta scholars – and wish them all the best in their future careers.”

The Prince William Scholars’ fees are funded by Warner Bros and the three will receive a short, funded work placement with a group of companies in the UK, a mentor from the film giant, and invitations to a series of industry masterclasses.
Read more: Widnes student among winners for scholarship scheme named after Duke Of Cambridge - Liverpool Echo

BAFTA President The Duke of Cambridge, presented a gift to Xi Jinping on behalf of BAFTA, in a move to promote open, creative collaboration between the UK and China.

On Wednesday 21 October, His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge, presented a gift on behalf of the Academy to Xi Jinping, President of the People’s Republic of China. The presentation was made at Lancaster House in London as part of an event to celebrate President Xi Jinping’s State Visit to the UK between 20 and 23 October 2015.
Read more: BAFTA Commemorates UK State Visit of Xi Jinping, President of The People’s Republic Of China | BAFTA

As William is the president of BAFTA I will post here -

Downton Abbey ‏@DowntonAbbey
A wonderful message from the president of @BAFTA, The Duke of Cambridge. Thank you, Sir! @KensingonRoyal #BAFTADownton

ITV’s stupendously popular period drama is drawing to a close with one final Christmas special that will see the world say goodbye to the Crawley family – at least until the long-rumoured film comes to fruition.

Setting the bar high was a clip from Prince William, who said that the show is “one of Catherine’s and my favourite programmes”.

“When I first heard Downton Abbey was to receive the BAFTA Special Award, I was absolutely thrilled,” the Duke of Cambridge said.

“As the president of BAFTA, I’m delighted that we’re paying tribute to this extraordinary series that has flown the flag for British drama both at home and internationally.”
Read more: BAFTA Celebrates Downton Abbey: Prince William, Sir Anthony Hopkins, and P Diddy reveal why they love the show | TV | Staying In | London Evening Standard

Last edited:
You Will Bafta do without me: Prince William snubs awards ceremony again

--------------------------------------------------------------
This same story gets recycled every year. Supposedly unnamed 'industry figures' are fuming William doesn't go to the red carpet awards show.

William does events with the charity arm of BAFTA throughout the year. William and Kate have done plenty of red carpets when required but its not really William's role with BAFTA.

It's a member of the Charities Forum and works closely with the Royal Foundation.
In fact it was BAFTA that filmed Kate's children's mental health week video. Kensington Palace tweeted it's thanks.

Here are links to BAFTA's charities which William is actively involved in

BAFTA's UK Scholarships Programme | BAFTA

Give Something Back | BAFTA

About BAFTA YGD | BAFTA YGD

Brits To Watch | BAFTA

Last edited:
You Will Bafta do without me: Prince William snubs awards ceremony again

--------------------------------------------------------------
This same story gets recycled every year. Supposedly unnamed 'industry figures' are fuming William doesn't go to the red carpet awards show.

William does events with the charity arm of BAFTA throughout the year. William and Kate have done plenty of red carpets when required but its not really William's role with BAFTA.

It's a member of the Charities Forum and works closely with the Royal Foundation.
In fact it was BAFTA that filmed Kate's children's mental health week video. Kensington Palace tweeted it's thanks.

Here are links to BAFTA's charities which William is actively involved in

BAFTA's UK Scholarships Programme | BAFTA

Give Something Back | BAFTA

About BAFTA YGD | BAFTA YGD

Brits To Watch | BAFTA

First thought - is he on shift? The press have been busy telling us that he is working hard in order to free up time for the India tour and HMQs birthday celebrations.

Second thought - just a load of old rubbish put out by disaffected press who have it down on the Cambridges at the present.

Third thought - regardless - recycle bin!

The BAFTA Awards recognises the commercial side of the industry. Its like the Oscars. William did attend in 2014 but that was to present Helen Mirren with a lifetime achievement award.

Like I stated, William works closely with BAFTA's charities but he doesn't walk the red carpet and hang with celebs just for the sake of it.

I will add, when he did attend in 2014, the DM had a fit about it

To be honest, it's an event that I would like to see William attend more often. Also, it wouldn't hurt to take his wife every now and then.

I agree Dman. As a Patron of BAFTA it is important he be visible, and not simply behind the scenes in their non-profit side. The film industry is an important business in the UK. People who criticize him for attending an event for one of his patronages, can live with it. It's not like he is chartering a jet and flying to Hollywood for the Oscars or something.

But if he is busy working a shift in prep for India that is understandable.

He has attended the Film Awards 3 times and appeared in a taped tribute for Lord Attenborough since 2010 when he was named President. The initial time was 2010 to announce he is taking over Presidency. Two other trip to present Helen Mirren and Vanessa Redgrave fellowships. Sidney Poitier is getting that award this year but can't be there due to poor health.

William did several Bafta things last year. They had events in China and in the UK during the Chinese state visit, young gamers showcase in Scotland, the Shawn the Sheep charity forum with Kate & Harry.

It's not like he has been to every FA cup finals or every Welsh Rugby match and totally ignored BAFTAS.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

no one mentioned that he didn't attend the rugby last weekend - maybe this weekened

I suppose because rugby is not one major event, it is how many games in a season?? He certainly cant be expected to attend every game. He and Kate attended the final game in Wales against Australia in October. While BAFTA is a huge organization and does a lot of great work, they have one major event that is the jewel of their season. It is far more noticeable when he misses it then when he misses one of multiple rugby games.

this isn't just Rugby! This is the 6 Nations Championship - England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy. it is BIG! Wales will want him to go to at least one game.

This is like the World Series - but it does include other countries!

The Duke of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

Baftas has multiple awards shows not just the film one. There is one for TV, children, gaming, one in Wales, one in Scotland. If William goes he isn't going to just sit in the audience. He needs to do something during the show. Plus how many people already complain on how William and Kate just do fun events not real work so hanging out with Hollywood A listers at an awards show every year wouldn't be a good image to project.

Not saying that he should attend every year, but I think he should go maybe once every two years and take his wife. One of those events where you take a date. It's a big deal to be President of the BAFTA's.

From 2010 to 2016 is 7 awards shows, he been to 3 and appeared on tape for 1. That's about once every 2 years.

After the early part of their marriage, the Cambridges going to black tie events together has dwindled off. William hasn't gone to the women hedge fund dinner when it's Kate's charity been honored. Kate hasn't gone to Tusk Awards recently. The last time I can think of them both going to a black tie charity thing together is the Natural History Museum Film premiere with Richard Attenborough.

From 2010 to 2016 is 7 awards shows, he been to 3 and appeared on tape for 1. That's about once every 2 years.

After the early part of their marriage, the Cambridges going to black tie events together has dwindled off. William hasn't gone to the women hedge fund dinner when it's Kate's charity been honored. Kate hasn't gone to Tusk Awards recently. The last time I can think of them both going to a black tie charity thing together is the Natural History Museum Film premiere with Richard Attenborough.

Yeah, I think it's since the kids that they seem to split up for eveningengagements. Maybe the try to have a parent home tucking them in as often as possible or something like that. Makes sense :)

Right, I think they could both attend from time to time.

For a fifth year, three students will each receive one of the Prince William Scholarships in Film, Television and Games, supported by BAFTA and Warner Bros., awarded in the name of HRH The Duke of Cambridge in his role as President of BAFTA.

These recipients will have their fees funded by Warner Bros. and will additionally receive a short funded work placement within the Warner Bros. group of companies, access to a Warner Bros. mentor, and invitations to a series of industry masterclasses.

Read more: BAFTA's UK Scholarships Programme | BAFTA

Last edited:
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal Jul 23
Best of luck to all the @BAFTA Young Game Designers finalists ahead of this weekend's ceremony: #YGD

In a message of support to all the young finalists, HRH The Duke of Cambridge, President of BAFTA, said: “When I met the winners of the 2015 competition, I saw for myself the remarkable game ideas and game-making skills of young people today and I am once again very impressed by the unique ideas of this year’s finalists.

“The games industry continues to be one of the most successful, creative and fastest growing in the country and I am pleased to see so many young people taking advantage of this exciting opportunity – one which could well launch their careers as the next big thing in British games.”

The Duke also praised the high number of entries which came through schools this year “highlighting the growing enthusiasm by teachers and educators to consider games as an art form and a viable career.”
Read more: BAFTA Young Game Designers Competition Winners Announced At Special Awards Ceremony | BAFTA

unlucky for the awardees as kate will definitely steal the show :p

I disagree - I think it adds more sparkle and attention to the event and the awardees would feel honored that THR attended in their year. I suppose it is just a question of perspective. I know that is how I would feel :flowers:

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) has announced today that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the EE British Academy Film Awards on Sunday 12 February.

The Duke, President of BAFTA, and The Duchess will walk the red carpet at London’s Royal Albert Hall and attend the awards ceremony, and The Duke will present the Fellowship, the highest accolade bestowed by the Academy.

Amanda Berry OBE, Chief Executive of BAFTA, said: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are fantastic supporters of BAFTA. We very much look forward to welcoming Their Royal Highnesses at the EE British Academy Film Awards on Sunday 12 February.”
Read more: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge To Attend EE British Academy Film Awards | BAFTA

I'm so happy they're attending this grand event together. I will watch it on BBC America.

It's great to see William attending the event this year. And nice his rife us able to accompany him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom