The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereta View Post
Did anyone else watch the BAFTA awards last night? William looked dapper in his tux...
Yes, I watched the BAFTA's. Kudos to him for becoming the new President of the BAFTA's.
I agree he was very handsome in his tuxedo.
I think overall he did a good job. I noticed he chose to read from his card rather than the teleprompter. Perhaps it was too difficult to see. Even Mickey Rourke commented that it was too far away and had a hard time reading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Vanessa Redgrave praised both the Prince of Wales and the late Diana, Princess of Wales and gave a deep elegant cursty to Prince William. She is a grande dame that one, one of my favs to watch.
Vanessa is a classy lady! She's one of my favourite actresses too.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 AM
Majesty

I think William is still quite nervous speaking in public, and in time will learn to speak extempore, just as his father usually does.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was funny when he said it was daunting.
He did a good job.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think William is still quite nervous speaking in public, and in time will learn to speak extempore, just as his father usually does.
It's certainly understandable for him to be nervous. It's his first time at such a prestegious event as this and in front of all these celebrities not to mention the millions of viewers watching. Plus he doesn't have much experience in public speaking to begin with. All things considered he seemed pretty calm and did a very good job. I agree with you that in time he will get better.

Article from the event.
Baftas 2010: My Prince Charming! Even Vanessa Redgrave bends her knee to William | Mail Online
Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Baftas 2010: Vanessa Redgrave pays tribute to Prince of Wales as Prince Williams awards her fellowship - Telegraph
Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Nobility

He sure is winning them over from all quarters now, that's for sure. I wish HRH William of Wales every success in the new job in regards to the Academy as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
It's certainly understandable for him to be nervous.
This is true. Even many celebrities still get nervous at these things and flub up their words. I think he did a fantastic job! And it was nice to have a touch of Royalty at the ceremony.
A big congratulations to William for becoming the new President of the British Film Academy!
Does this mean he will attend the Baftas every year? Did Sir Attenborough always attend them? I've never really paid any attention to the Baftas before.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
The press were trying to capitalise on the irony, a republic recieving a lifetime achievement award from the royal.
That's probably so. BTW thanks for letting me know about the BBC channel. I didn't even know we had a cable channel set aside for British programming.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ TAYLER View Post
Well I dare say he has had the best to learn from in that respect. Nice to see how well recieved HRH William was in his new role as Academy Head.
Very true indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanaz View Post
Does this mean he will attend the Baftas every year?
I'm not sure if he will or not, but it would be nice if he did! I suppose it will depend on his schedule.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Royal Highness

It's amusing when William was walking the red carpet at the Baftas how people were trying to get his autograph as if he were a celebrity. It's understandable that he declined.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

posted this in the musings and suggestions thread but it got ignored so I thought it may be a better idea to post this here
Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

@nakitamarie My understanding is William and Kate won't be at the Baftas. They will have some more public duties together but not that soon.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Nobility

Impossible for William to not be at the Baftas. He is the president and the ceremony is on sunday night and the date is staged for months so william did arrange his schedule around this date for sure. No way he can say it does go well with his military duties.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope Richard is wrong on this one but he was the one who first confirmed William and Kate attending the Christmas show together.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Impossible for William to not be at the Baftas. He is the president and the ceremony is on sunday night and the date is staged for months so william did arrange his schedule around this date for sure. No way he can say it does go well with his military duties.
It's not impossible, he can say he doesn't want to go if he can't make it.
He is the president, but it's not like he'll have a lot to do. Maybe give out an award.
If he's attending it should be in the diary, he does have his own section.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He doesn't decide when he is on duty at the base. He might put in a request for days to be rostered in certain ways but first and foremost they have to ensure that enough personel are on duty and that those that have been on duty for a certain period of time are also getting the right amount of rest.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Nobility

I said it's impossible for William not to be at the BAFTA because the date of the show is scheduled far in advance and his own schedule probabley take into consideration his duties and his map is adjust well in advance when his has to perform his duties, what's the point to accept to take the role of president of the BAFTA if it's to not be present at the ceremony? It will be a non sense
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Nobility

Last year it was not in his diary, I learned he was named president of the bafta the day before the show on the BBC website and after it was mentioned on the website of the academy of the cinema. The day of the ceremony there was no mention. It's pretty normal, it's exactly the same that the christmas show he went with Kate. No mention of it on the website of the prince of wales in william's section. It has been indicated after the show with photos of william and kate.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Nobility

See on the BAFTA website ... Ceremony of the Bafta on 13 02 .... under the patronage (zut dont remember the words) of our president HRA Prince william of wales.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I really hope William & Kate appear at the BAFTA award ceremony. We have seen so little of them since the engagement announcement. I understand he is working, she's busy with wedding stuff & they want to keep a fairly low profile BUT a few more appearances would be lovely. Are there any scheduled before the big day? On a related point, I am surprised we haven't had any further published pics from the Testino session. There must be more on the way surely?
But after the wedding we will hear about them for all the time
Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I said it's impossible for William not to be at the BAFTA because the date of the show is scheduled far in advance and his own schedule probabley take into consideration his duties and his map is adjust well in advance when his has to perform his duties, what's the point to accept to take the role of president of the BAFTA if it's to not be present at the ceremony? It will be a non sense
As President of BAFTA William will not be obliged to attend every BAFTA event. This is just one of the organisations he supports, so he will need to organise his diary to balance all his commitments. It will certainly not be a "non sense" if he cannot attend the awards.