The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He gave props to Canada after the quarterfinal game where he congratulated both Canada and England for an exciting game via the KP Twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Did the Duke forget that he's also in the line of succession to the Canadian throne?
Haha, i thought about that as well. But since KP is very much publishing this I guess they have decided that they are brittish first? I've thought about that when seeing the BRF cheering during the commonwealth games and olympics...

They are playing Japan today and the winner plays the U.S. for the cup and the loser plays Germany for 3rd place. Canada lost to England in the prior match and William congratulated both teams afterwards. There isn't any other realms or commonwealth nations left other than the England team. Why shouldn't the president of the FA not wish the national team good luck?

Diplomatic crisis adverted!!! Canada will not launch maple syrup bombs over KP!

They are playing Japan today and the winner plays the U.S. for the cup and the loser plays Germany for 3rd place. Canada lost to England in the prior match and William congratulated both teams afterwards. There isn't any other realms or commonwealth nations left other than the England team. Why shouldn't the president of the FA not wish the national team good luck?

Ahh.. Ok :) I know nothing about that stuff xD I just had heard it was England vs Canada, but I was wrong :)

The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages

Diplomatic crisis adverted!!! Canada will not launch maple syrup bombs over KP!

We stopped using the maple syrup bombs years ago (too sticky to clean up!!) LOL

Oka cheese bombs are much better. Smelly, soft but easily cleaned up.

Nah, our Canadian women lost a nail bitter. But it was nice of PW to call both teams. Unfortunately we are getting very little coverage of the games here in Northern Ontario

Last edited:
Last edited:
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
The Duke of Cambridge will host a reception for the @England #Lionesses at Kensington Palace on Thursday 9th July

HRH closely followed the #Lionesses during the @FIFAWWC, who secured the best ever result for an England senior football team overseas

The #Lionesses will meet children involved in the @FA Skills Programme at the Royal Household Football pitch at Kensington Palace #WeCanPlay

Last edited:
England women were treated to a reception by the Duke of Cambridge at Kensington Palace following the team's heroics at the World Cup in Canada.

England lost the semi-final to Japan but beat Germany to claim third place.

"Thanks for coming over for breakfast England Lionesses and congratulations again on an amazing tournament," read a Kensington Palace tweet.

The Lionesses met children involved in the FA Skills programme at the Royal Household football pitch at the palace.

The squad are due to head to Downing Street to meet the Prime Minister David Cameron, then to Wimbledon for women's semi-finals day.
BBC Sport - Prince William welcomes England women to Kensington Palace

He's an avid football fan so Prince William no doubt enjoyed hosting the Lionesses at Kensington Palace on Thursday morning.

The father-of-two, who is a staunch Aston Villa fan, hosted a breakfast for the England Women's football team - who call themselves the Lionesses - at the royal household.

The smartly dressed 33-year-old chatted enthusiastically to the women, who beat Germany 1-0 in the World Cup third place play-off, and their head coach, Mark Sampson.
More: William the photobomber! Prince hosts England women's football squad for breakfast at Kensington Palace, before making surprise appearance in team selfie | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Video:
England’s Women’s Football team have met the Duke of Cambridge Prince William during a reception at Kensington Palace in central London today. It follows their return from the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada, where the team won bronze for their stellar performance in the international tournament-

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke of Cambridge as Vice Royal Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union will attend the Wales Team Welcome Ceremony at the Guildhall in London on 21 September

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Vice Royal Patron @WelshRugbyUnion Prince William nailed his colours to the mast today, saying Cymru am byth/Forever Wales! @rugbyworldcup
------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, thank God the welsh team play rugby better than they sing. As a big rugby fan and very proud Vice Royal Patron of the Welsh Rugby Union, I am hugely excited to be here today to award the team their highly prized World Cup caps.

It is a great achievement for all of you to be here whether as players, management or support staff. It will have been a long, arduous road for many of you to get the opportunity to represent your country at a World Cup. I know you will all be fearsomely proud of being a part of this team.
Read more: A speech by The Duke of Cambridge at the Welsh Rugby Union #RWC2015 Cap presentation

Last edited:
Wales were given a royal greeting at their official Rugby World Cup welcome ceremony in London ahead of their crunch match against England.

Head coach Warren Gatland and his side were at the London Guildhall on Monday where they met Prince William.
And the squad were in fine voice as they sang in front of the Prince and a crowd of a few hundred people inside the building.

The players, Gatland and his staff serenaded the audience with Ar Lan-y-mor - a traditional Welsh hymn.

And come Saturday evening they will be hoping to singing from the rooftops at full-time following their Pool A encounter at Twickenham.

Speaking ahead of that fixture the Duke of Cambridge has urged Wales to beat England on Saturday - to keep his brother quiet.

William, vice patron of the Welsh Rugby Union, told the Wales players: 'Unfortunately, I will be watching you with my brother, so I will need a Wales win more than ever!' Prince Harry holds a similar role with the Rugby Football Union.
Read more: Prince William greets Wales squad during official Rugby World Cup 2015 welcome ceremony as Warren Gatland's side sing traditional hymn | Daily Mail Online

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
.@WelshRugbyUnion vice-patron #PrinceWilliam will also attend Wales vs Fiji at the @millenniumstad #RWC2015 #iamwales

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#PrinceWilliam will visit the National Sport Centre in Cardiff to launch the Coach Core Welsh Rugby Union Programme on Thursday - KP

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
.@WelshRugbyUnion vice-patron #PrinceWilliam will also attend Wales vs Fiji at the @millenniumstad #RWC2015 #iamwales

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
#PrinceWilliam will visit the National Sport Centre in Cardiff to launch the Coach Core Welsh Rugby Union Programme on Thursday - KP

William won't even have to be polite and bipartisan during the anthems, he can pull a Harry and cross his arms and scowl during the opposing anthem, since Fiji dumped the Queen to become a republic. :lol:

William won't even have to be polite and bipartisan during the anthems, he can pull a Harry and cross his arms and scowl during the opposing anthem, since Fiji dumped the Queen to become a republic. :lol:

I really don't see William being anything else but respectful to the Fiji team. One of the things with the Wales vs. England game and the brothers each backing a different team, I'm tending to believe that the antics and the facial expressions of the brothers going back and forth was actually pretty much staged as they knew all eyes would be watching. It was all good natured bantering between the brothers.

I really don't see William being anything else but respectful to the Fiji team. One of the things with the Wales vs. England game and the brothers each backing a different team, I'm tending to believe that the antics and the facial expressions of the brothers going back and forth was actually pretty much staged as they knew all eyes would be watching. It was all good natured bantering between the brothers.

What were William's antics? I remember him being very respectful to the English team. Heck, he rooted for the English team when he attended their opening match a week ago.

In fact, William proudly belted out both anthems.

Last edited:
What were William's antics? I remember him being very respectful to the English team. Heck, he rooted for the English team when he attended their opening match a week ago.

In fact, William proudly belted out both anthems.

Its hard to point it out now but IIRC, there were looks and gestures between Harry and William quite a bit from the pictures I saw. Never though, through the anthems, did William show anything but respect.

As it was pretty much covered in the media that the two brothers were going to be cheering on opposite teams, I think they both kind of took that fact and played with it all in good fun during the match.

Its what brothers do.

I didn't see any antics. William hugged Kate and put his arm around Harry after the match was over. I didn't really see any planned behavior , they were just reacting to what was going on in the match. Harry cheering when England did well and Will and Kate when Wales did well. I did think Harry could have done without the arms across the chest stance during the Welsh anthem. To me it didn't seem appropriate

Its hard to point it out now but IIRC, there were looks and gestures between Harry and William quite a bit from the pictures I saw. Never though, through the anthems, did William show anything but respect.

As it was pretty much covered in the media that the two brothers were going to be cheering on opposite teams, I think they both kind of took that fact and played with it all in good fun during the match.

Its what brothers do.

I had no problem with the brothers ribbing each other when their respective teams scored. But Harry's display during the Welsh anthem wasn't ribbing. It was petulant and disrespectful. Especially, since a minute earlier he had robustly sung the English anthem. Welsh people on Twitter were reminding him that his father is The Prince of Wales, that his grandmother is Queen of Wales, and that his name is Prince Harry of Wales.

The point I was trying to make, is that if William wanted to throw all decorum and diplomacy out the window against Fiji, they wouldn't be in the position to take to Twitter and complain because they no longer have the Queen as their head of state.

If William attends the Wales-Australia match he won't have an opportunity to misbehave, so if he has any bratty whims he better do it against Fiji.

All I'm trying to say is that the royals represent more than just England. So far so good, from William in this tournament. He needs to keep it up with all the Queen's countries.

Last edited:
I had no problem with the brothers ribbing each other when their respective teams scored. But Harry's display during the Welsh anthem wasn't ribbing. It was petulant and disrespectful. Especially, since a minute earlier he had robustly sung the English anthem. Welsh people on Twitter were reminding him that his father is The Prince of Wales, that his grandmother is Queen of Wales, and that his name is Prince Harry of Wales.

The point I was trying to make, is that if William wanted to throw all decorum and diplomacy out the window against Fiji, they wouldn't be in the position to take to Twitter and complain because they no longer have the Queen as their head of state.

If William attends the Wales-Australia match he won't have an opportunity to misbehave, so if he has any bratty whims he better do it against Fiji.

All I'm trying to say is that the royals represent more than just England. So far so good, from William in this tournament. He needs to keep it up with all the Queen's countries.
I think by now we all know that William can handle himself diplomaticly. If he could handle the Aston Villa loss, he can handle it all :p

The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages

William is not Harry. He is going to be respectful in his behavior especially during the anthems. William has gone to Cardiff for several of Wales matches against Southern Hemisphere teams such as Australia, NZ and South Africa. He has behaved impeccably. He has even gone to the opposing teams locker rooms after the match to meet the players a couple of times. Wales lost most of the time too.

Even during the England vs Fiji match, William wasn't openly cheering against England because a loss to Fiji would have helped Wales. As it pointed out, he had to hand the FA cup to Arsenal after they blew out Aston Villa , his team, and he did it quite well.

William is not Harry. He is going to be respectful in his behavior especially during the anthems. William has gone to Cardiff for several of Wales matches against Southern Hemisphere teams such as Australia, NZ and South Africa. He has behaved impeccably. He has even gone to the opposing teams locker rooms after the match to meet the players a couple of times. Wales lost most of the time too.

Even during the England vs Fiji match, William wasn't openly cheering against England because a loss to Fiji would have helped Wales. As it pointed out, he had to hand the FA cup to Arsenal after they blew out Aston Villa , his team, and he did it quite well.

Exactly. No matter how big his team enthusiasm is, I think he is grown up enough to have his diplomatic face on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom