The Duke of Cambridge and Sporting Patronages 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HRH the Duke of Cambridge, President of The Football Association, is to meet England Women next week at St. George's Park as they prepare for next month's World Cup in Canada.

Prince William will meet head coach Mark Sampson and his players in the England dressing room, before watching the team train and joining them on the pitch for a team photo.

England head coach Sampson said: "The players and staff are really looking forward to welcoming the Duke to St George's Park next week.

"It's great to have his support ahead of the World Cup and it'll be fitting way to finish our training camp here ahead of what is a really exciting time for this team."
FA President HRH the Duke of Cambridge to give England Women World Cup send-off at St. George's Park - England | The FA

I don't follow football so does anyone know if the team has a good chance of advancing in the tournament?

I don't follow football so does anyone know if the team has a good chance of advancing in the tournament?

the England's women team is usually pretty good/strong. not a powerhouse but a strong unit

England's Women's World Cup squad were given royal approval on Wednesday, as the Duke of Cambridge took the time to watch them training at St George's Park.

Prince William, who is the president of the Football Association, spent time with the squad ahead of their departure to Canada for next month's World Cup.

The prince was introduced to manager Mark Sampson and captain Steph Houghton, before being shown around the facility and watching the squad train.
More: Prince William meets up with England's women at St George's Park ahead of World Cup in Canada* | Daily Mail Online

Princess Charlotte has been giving the Duke of Cambridge "a few sleepless nights", he has told England Women's World Cup squad. William met the team at the National Football Centre today, before they jet off on Monday to start their campaign in Canada-
Prince William endures 'a few sleepless nights' thanks to baby Charlotte - Independent.ie

Video:
Prince William, who is president of the Football Association, met the England women’s football senior squad at St George's Park in Staffordshire. He signed his autograph on a wall of footballing greats near the entrance, which includes World Cup 1966 winners Geoff Hurst and David Beckham. England Women fly out to Canada next week, ahead of a pre-tournament friendly against the host nation and group matches against France, Mexico and Colombia-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=PRINCE WILLIAM MEETS ENGLAND’S WOMEN FOOTBALLERS

Last edited:
Not surprised to see a tiny jersey for Charlotte was presented to her father today. Based on his comments it sounds like everything is fine at home even if the adults are having less rest. Good luck to the Lionesses in Canada.

Hmmm, I wonder who William will be rooting for ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 4h 4 hours ago
#PrinceWilliam has been interviewed by @GaryLineker ahead of Saturday's FA Cup Final between his side Aston Villa and Arsenal (via @emynash)

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 4h 4 hours ago
#PrinceWilliam has been interviewed by @GaryLineker ahead of Saturday's FA Cup Final between his side Aston Villa and Arsenal (via @emynash)

This will be one of those rare Engagements for William where he's either going to be really thrilled at the end of it or really disappointed. No inbetween this time.

It would be so fantastic though for William, after all these years as a fan and supporting them, if he was able to award the Cup to his beloved Aston Villa. Hope it happens!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It would be so fantastic though for William, after all these years as a fan and supporting them, if he was able to award the Cup to his beloved Aston Villa. Hope it happens!! :)

I 'ruddy' hope so, we've had a crazy season!!

How fascinating that he deliberately chose Aston Villa to be individual and to feel the ups and downs of a middle of the pack team supporter.

This is a complex guy from way back. :)

The blue sweater returns. Kate's clothes must hog their closets so William is limited to 5 outfits.

The blue sweater returns. Kate's clothes must hog their closets so William is limited to 5 outfits.

Isn't that the rich guy uniform though? :)

How fascinating that he deliberately chose Aston Villa to be individual and to feel the ups and downs of a middle of the pack team supporter.

This is a complex guy from way back. :)
Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well..

Also, that he so vocally supports them in this interview "shocked" me a bit. I'm really not a sports person, but isn't sports fans kind of religious about their teams? I'd thought he'd be more "diplomatic" about it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's well known that's he a Villa fan so to act like he doesn't care who wins would come across as a fake.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well..

Also, that he so vocally supports them in this interview "shocked" me a bit. I'm really not a sports person, but isn't sports fans kind of religious about their teams? I'd thought he'd be more "diplomatic" about it :p

It didn't shock me at all, but then again I'm a huge Sports fan too, so I get it. I can be as diplomatic as they come, but go after my Calgary Flames or Toronto Maple Leafs or any of my other Teams to my face and look out!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Just saw the highlights of the game on TV, William's team just lost and he didn't look too thrilled, of course. Sucked it up and presented the throphy.

Just saw the highlights of the game on TV, William's team just lost and he didn't look too thrilled, of course. Sucked it up and presented the throphy.
I actually watched the match (Daddy was happy to sit through a match with me!). And yeah, it was clear from early on that Arsenal would win. But as a true diplomat William did very well :p

What else could he do? Walk out because his team lost. He knew that Arsenal were the likely winners given the differences between the two teams. So he knew before the game that unless there was an upset he would have to do his duty ... something that as a royal he will have to do ... as his grandmother and father have done so well. All he had to do was present a trophy to the team that defeated his own ... not a big deal.

What else could he do? Walk out because his team lost. He knew that Arsenal were the likely winners given the differences between the two teams. So he knew before the game that unless there was an upset he would have to do his duty ... something that as a royal he will have to do ... as his grandmother and father have done so well. All he had to do was present a trophy to the team that defeated his own ... not a big deal.
Yeah I know. But the way I've seen sports fans behave you never know :p If he can do this he can handle alot of diplomatic situations :p

The Duke said: “It gives me great pleasure to wish Mark Sampson, the England squad and all of the backroom staff the very best of luck for the FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.

“As President of The FA, I am delighted that women’s football has become such a central part of our daily work across the country. The senior England team are the pinnacle of this and I am sure all football fans will join me in hoping they do well over the coming days.

“Having had the chance to meet the squad and follow their progress in qualifying, I know they are determined to do their very best at the finals. And I believe their involvement will inspire more girls up and down the country to get involved in the game.
More: Duke of Cambridge wishes England Women well in Canada - About Football Association | The FA

Last edited:
Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 11m11 minutes ago
The Duke of Cambridge has made a surprise call to the @England #Lionesses this evening ahead of their historic @FIFAWWC semi-final in Canada

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 12m12 minutes ago
HRH, President of the FA, called into the start of their morning tactics meeting with only England Manager Mark Sampson aware in advance

The Duke said: "You are proving you are one of the best teams in the world and really making history"

The Duke: "There is a fantastic buzz around the country. Everyone is following your progress and you are making the country proud."

The Duke of Cambridge has made a surprise call to the @England #Lionesses this evening ahead of their historic @FIFAWWC semi-final in Canada

HRH, President of the FA, called into the start of their morning tactics meeting with only England Manager Mark Sampson aware in advance

The Duke said: "You are proving you are one of the best teams in the world and really making history"

The Duke: "There is a fantastic buzz around the country. Everyone is following your progress and you are making the country proud."

Did the Duke forget that he's also in the line of succession to the Canadian throne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom