The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is definitely an area that William is passionate about and over the past couple of years, with his efforts, there have been changes made that have to let him know that he's on the right path in what he's doing both with Tusk and the Foundation's United for Wildlife.

When a passion yields results, it adds fuel to the the fire of that passion to continue and I think this area will always be an area close to William's heart.

I really don't think William has any business lecturing folks around the world about population. It smacks of elitism and arrogance.

LaRae

I don't think it has anything to do with elitism and arrogance but is actually a valid point. Overpopulation is a big concern globally. At the rate the population is expanding and the natural resources of the planet dwindling, it gets harder and harder to sustain human life. Charles has been advocating sustainability for years and has actively tried to find and implement ways to make life in the future sustainable. I'm glad to see William jump on this bandwagon.

When we think about it, with the advances in medical technology and people living longer lives and having more and more arable land taken up to house the expanding population, the balance of supply and demand is getting harder and harder to meet. Found a good article that helps explain why overpopulation is such a concern these days.

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/causes-effects-solutions-of-overpopulation.php

We will have to disagree about overpopulation. We have a resource distribution issues, not population issues. For example, Europe is having to bring people in to keep up the numbers.

It has everything to do with elitism when (most often) white persons and (often) wealthy persons run around telling people they are having too many children (often in countries where the majority is non-white).

If William was really serious about it then why in the devil is he having 3 children?

He and his father both need to direct their focus elsewhere. They would do far more good to focus on the issue of food distribution and corrupt governments who prevent people from receiving the aid.

LaRae

I really don't think William has any business lecturing folks around the world about population. It smacks of elitism and arrogance.

LaRae

I totally agree, especially since he is about to have a third child. I like William, but he needs to follow his Grandmother's example and keep his mouth shut. He will be much more popular (not that he isn't) and a more unifying figure.

Yes good point, the Queen needs to be his example in these issues.

LaRae

William didn't lecture the world on over population. The Daily Mail headline does not reflect what he actually said.

We all know that wildlife (flora and fauna) help to sustain the planet. If no planning is put in place to deal with population rise, then not only will wildlife suffer but so will humans.

So lets plan for the population increase - seems sensible to me.

Link to the speech

https://www.royal.uk/duke-cambridge-gives-speech-tusk-trust-ball

The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts

Did any of you actually read William’s actual speech or just the headlines? Because he never said anything about too many people or population control. What he said was Africa’s population is predicted to double by 2050. That we affect the habitats so the planning to deal with the increasing demands on the land should start now. Stuff like making sure there is available clean water for both people and animals.

Here’s the link to what he actually said

Last edited:
William didn't lecture the world on over population. The Daily Mail headline does not reflect what he actually said.

We all know that wildlife (flora and fauna) help to sustain the planet. If no planning is put in place to deal with population rise, then not only will wildlife suffer but so will humans.

So lets plan for the population increase - seems sensible to me.

Link to the speech

As usual the DM goes for an inflammatory headline to pull in click bait readers.:whistling:

It started with the Telegraph first and then spread on Twitter from the Royal Correspondents like Palmer, Murphy and Damplier.

I totally agree, especially since he is about to have a third child.

And what is wrong with having a third child?

William is only stating what is a fact of life. The more people on earth, the greater the pressure on the environment.

I like William, but he needs to follow his Grandmother's example and keep his mouth shut. He will be much more popular (not that he isn't) and a more unifying figure.

Firstly, William is not the monarch. He is twice removed from that role.

Secondly, I think there is a widely misconstrued view of what the monarch of the day can and cannot say. The only think the monarch should stay out of and not express a view on is party political matters, as the monarch must be seen to be above politics. Nothing stops the monarch from expressing certain likes, dislikes, or supporting certain causes, or espousing views on non-party political matters.

Did any of you actually read William’s actual speech or just the headlines? [/url]

IMO, therein lies the problem. People today, including myself, can often be too quick to jump to conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing wrong with it. I didn't say there was. I hope they have a 4th. My point is he should not talk about overpopulation while he is about to increase it.
However, I fell for the click bait of the DM and it turns out that is not what he really said. I thought I knew better, but I am sorry I made a mistake. I won't even try to defend myself.

['QUOTE=muriel;2034086]And what is wrong with having a third child?

William is only stating what is a fact of life. The more people on earth, the greater the pressure on the environment.

Firstly, William is not the monarch. He is twice removed from that role.

Secondly, I think there is a widely misconstrued view of what the monarch of the day can and cannot say. The only think the monarch should stay out of and not express a view on is party political matters, as the monarch must be seen to be above politics. Nothing stops the monarch from expressing certain likes, dislikes, or supporting certain causes, or espousing views on non-party political matters.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Did any of you actually read William’s actual speech or just the headlines? Because he never said anything about too many people or population control. What he said was Africa’s population is predicted to double by 2050. That we affect the habitats so the planning to deal with the increasing demands on the land should start now. Stuff like making sure there is available clean water for both people and animals.

Here’s the link to what he actually said

Yes, I was rolling my eyes at people/posters putting words in his mouth. Though not surprised. :whistling:

I'm actually a strong believer in strict government-involved population control. So William's bland/tame words on the subject of population growth were very factual but didn't speak to anything I believe in. He just wants to facilitate the growth and lessen it's impact, not stop the growth (like my want).

:previous:

“Strict government-involved population control?”
Do you mean the kind they have had in China for decades?

“Strict government-involved population control?”
Do you mean the kind they have had in China for decades?

Somewhat. China's policy was a bit of a farce. Too many loopholes and now they've abandoned the original policy. But I suppose it was better than nothing.

But, yes, William's words had nothing do with population control, it was about future resource management. Whether he actually believes the latter can be accomplished without the former, we don't know.

FWIW, Richard Palmer had a much more nuanced view on it than many of the rest of the press pack/headlines.

Ultimately, the statement "we should be careful to plan for increases in population because unmanaged expansion will hurt both humans and wildlife" doesn't make for sexy headlines.

FWIW, Richard Palmer had a much more nuanced view on it than many of the rest of the press pack/headlines.

Ultimately, the statement "we should be careful to plan for increases in population because unmanaged expansion will hurt both humans and wildlife" doesn't make for sexy headlines.

No it doesn't hel, but people will still try avoid reading the actual text and just remark on the headlines.

I think a lot of that happens too because of just seeing the words "Daily Mail". I know I pass most of these kind of links by.

Somewhat. China's policy was a bit of a farce. Too many loopholes and now they've abandoned the original policy. But I suppose it was better than nothing.

But, yes, William's words had nothing do with population control, it was about future resource management. Whether he actually believes the latter can be accomplished without the former, we don't know.

Better than nothing? Forced abortions?

I don't think it has anything to do with elitism and arrogance but is actually a valid point. Overpopulation is a big concern globally. At the rate the population is expanding and the natural resources of the planet dwindling, it gets harder and harder to sustain human life. Charles has been advocating sustainability for years and has actively tried to find and implement ways to make life in the future sustainable. I'm glad to see William jump on this bandwagon.

When we think about it, with the advances in medical technology and people living longer lives and having more and more arable land taken up to house the expanding population, the balance of supply and demand is getting harder and harder to meet. Found a good article that helps explain why overpopulation is such a concern these days.

https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/causes-effects-solutions-of-overpopulation.php

Well-said!

But, short of limiting reproduction, what can be done about it?
And trying to do that often leads to abuses.

In any event, since William is busily adding to the population, it might be more tactful to avoid any references to overpopulation.
No matter how sincere he is, there will be many who will accuse him of acting like a hypocrite. Just check the comments in the DM.

Well-said!

But, short of limiting reproduction, what can be done about it?
And trying to do that often leads to abuses.

In any event, since William is busily adding to the population, it might be more tactful to avoid any references to overpopulation.
No matter how sincere he is, there will be many who will accuse him of acting like a hypocrite. Just check the comments in the DM.

Those that did not bother to actually read what he said will happily draw conclusions of how hypocritical he might be. For the rest of us, that is not a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas
Better than nothing? Forced abortions?

I presume this statement was just designed to be provocative

In certain countries people are not even having enough children to replace themselves. Some are choosing to have no children or one child. I don't think three children are too many when you can afford to raise them.

China's policies were horrible and created a lot of problems. Forced population control is appalling.

Educating people about the effect of people on the environment and the need to plan for enough farmland and fresh water to sustain life should not be controversial.

Last edited:
Just check the comments in the DM.

I'd rather not--most of the people post there only to be snarky or negative, It's a game to them. I don't think it can be taken that seriously.

Court Circular 11th December, 2017

The Duke of Cambridge, President, United for Wildlife, this evening attended a Dinner in support of For Rangers, LSO St Luke’s, 161 Old Street, London EC1.

Via Cepe Smith on Twitter

https://www.forrangers.com/our-story

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge spoke at the @UKShipping Dinner last night, where he called on shipping companies to help end wildlife trafficking by closing down trafficking routes used by poachers.

The Duke of Cambridge is President of @United4Wildlife, which set up the Transport Taskforce to engage the transport industry to save protected species from illegal trade. The Duke highlighted progress made, but warned the shipping industry is vulnerable to exploitation.

Via Kensington Palace Twitter

Highlights video for the UK Chamber of Shipping Annual Dinner, with snippets from the speech of HRH Prince William, The Duke of Cambridge:

Court Circular 8th March:
The Duke of Cambridge, President, United for Wildlife, this afternoon held a Meeting at Buckingham Palace and subsequently received the Lord Hague of Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom