The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Stop Ivory is an independent Non-government Organisation which aims to protect elephants and stop the ivory trade by implementing the Elephant Protection Initiative.

Home - Stop Ivory

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter
Another engagement for Prince William last night: he attended a dinner in aid of Stop Ivory at Scott's, Mount Street, London W1.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Rhinos and elephants have a friend in the future King of England.

Prince William, 33, has regularly returned to the subject of fighting illegal wildlife trade, and he is known to have discussed the issue with Chinese President Xi Jinping during the latter's recent State Visit to Britain.

Since William's meetings with both President Barack Obama and President Xi in the past 12 months, the two governments have made a joint statement backing a ban on importing the ivory – a move that so cheered William and his office that they they tweeted their support.

"He's encouraged by the fact that the Chinese leadership has been very willing to engage in this issue," Charlie Mayhew, the chief executive of Tusk Trust of which William is patron, tells PEOPLE. "That's the important thing."

And Mayhew praises William for putting the issue on the world map. "He really has made such a huge impression on that issue, and we are all hugely excited by the momentum that he has been largely responsible for creating. It's good news. Though none of us can afford to be complacent."
Read more: Prince William's Charities: Tusk Trust : People.com

Old 11-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Cambridge’s speech reaches around 442 million in China in first week

Home | United For Wildlife
Old 11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter
Another Will job: the Duke of Cambridge, Royal Patron of Tusk, will attend the Tusk Conservation Awards at Claridge's, London, on Nov 24.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Rudolph-Wanted to take a moment to thank you for updating the Cambridge threads on a daily basis.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Days of Future Passed

I had to make a remark about this and I think William's conservation thread is perhaps the best place to do it.

A few days ago, I happened to watch a 2005 made for TV movie called Spirit Bear which is is based on true events in the life of Simon Jackson, Jr. and his efforts go conserve and protect an genetically unique bear found only in the Princess Royal, Vancouver. It was heartwarming to see that, towards the beginning of the movie, to call attention to the bear's plight, Jackson made it a point to bring it to the attention of William, Harry and Charles when they visited Vancouver back in 1998.

Watching it in 2015, I couldn't help but smile thinking that the movie was spot on in regards to how William would champion endangered species in the future. Its an excellent movie and if you get a chance, watch it.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
Tonight The Duke of Cambridge will present three awards at the @TuskTrust Conservation Awards. Follow #TuskAwards for live updates!

Ahead of tonight's #TuskAwards, The Duke - who became @TuskTrust Patron in 2005 - will welcome winners and finalists to #KensingtonPalace.

Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge has commended the winners and finalists of the Tusk conservation awards as part of his crusade against the illegal wildlife trade in Africa.

The charity, which has a 25-year history building sustainable conservation throughout the continent, established the awards three years ago to shine a spotlight on key projects and individuals.

Ahead of a presentation, William met five winners and finalists, including Garth Owen Smith, who has won the Prince William Award for Conservation in Africa for his successful community-driven conservation initiatives in Namibia.
Read more: William hails tusk conservation award finalists | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
The Duke Of Cambridge Attends The Tusk Conservation Awards-

Pictures And Photos | Getty Images

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge is close to a breakthrough in his battle against the illegal wildlife trade after China agreed to send a delegation to discuss the subject in London this week.

China is the world's biggest market for ivory and rhino horn, and stamping out demand for body parts of endangered species is essential to ending poaching and saving them from extinction.

The Duke has embarked on a charm offensive in China that included his official visit earlier this year and an appearance on a current affairs programme devoted to the issue of the wildlife trade, which now seems to be paying off.

During his appearance on state television in October, the Duke warned the Chinese that elephants would be extinct by the time children born this year reach the age of 25 unless they stopped buying ivory.

He said they would be spoken of with "great pride" by their great grandchildren if they helped save elephants and rhino, and bluntly added that "rhino horn cannot cure cancer".

The charity Save the Elephants this week reported a sharp drop in the price of ivory in China - a result of falling demand and the slow-down of the economy.

Today (Wednesday) Lord Hague, the former foreign secretary, will chair a meeting of the Duke's United for Wildlife task force on the transportation of banned wildlife products, where China's presence will provide a huge boost to the chances of success.

He told The Daily Telegraph: "It's highly unusual for China to send a delegation to something like this, a meeting organised by the Duke of Cambridge, chaired by a former foreign secretary, and involving NGOs and private companies.

It's an indication of the progress we have made. Bringing them into this group is a very, very important development that is potentially a major step forward."
Read more: William's Wildlife Coup as Chinese Fly in for Talks - The New Indian Express
Old 12-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

That is just wonderful, this young man who was born a prince has and still is rising to heights of great work for all mankind. I think he is an amazing young man and I bet his mother would be so very proud of him as I bet his grandmother the Queen and his dad are. Time will tell just what else he can do and I so look forward to his accomplishments.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

PRINCE William has been described as making “an invaluable difference” in getting the Chinese to reduce their thirst for precious wildlife contraband by former Foreign Secretary Lord Hague.

Quote:
The campaigning royal is now expected to announce a breakthrough in efforts to shutdown the shadowy network that allows plundered rhino horn and ivory to be shipped from Africa to the Far East in coming weeks.

Lord Hague praised the prince prior to a Chinese delegation arriving in London for talks about the wildlife trade crisis that is pushing some of the planet’s iconic creatures to the brink.

Lord Hague is chairing a meeting today between William’s United for Wildlife task force and Chinese officials and says the prince’s global influence had proven decisive.
Read more: Prince William persuaded China increase efforts against animal trade | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Global marine terminal operator DP World has agreed to a set of 11 principles designed to help tackle the US$ 19 billion illegal wildlife trade.

In a groundbreaking meeting in London last week, members of the United for Wildlife International Taskforce on the Transportation of Illegal Wildlife Products finalised the document that will shape the efforts of its transport and logistics sector members in the future.

The Declaration and Commitments cover a raft of issues from information sharing and detection, practical measures to stop the transportation of illegal wildlife products and a common determination to tackle the illegal trade, wherever it may be.

The United for Wildlife Taskforce is a collaboration between key partners from the transport industry, international bodies and conservation organisations which was convened by HRH The Duke of Cambridge and is committed to focusing increased attention on efforts to combat the illegal wildlife trade as one of the most pressing conservation issues of our time.
Read more: DP World agrees blueprint for tackling illegal wildlife trade | Al Bawaba
Old 12-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quick! Let's all dash off copies of this to Ken Wharfe. This is one helluva accomplishment in my book.

Way to go Wills!
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Cambridge has said he is “very saddened” by the death of a British helicopter pilot shot dead by elephant poachers in Tanzania, as it emerged the mortally wounded flyer saved his colleague’s life by fighting to land safely before dying.

Roger Gower, 37, was flying at low-level during an anti-poaching mission searching for gunmen who had killed three elephants when they broke cover and shot at him from the ground with a high-calibre rifle.

A bullet is understood to have passed up through the floor of the aluminium and fibre-glass helicopter, hitting Mr Gower first in the leg then in the shoulder before exiting through the roof.

Despite being mortally injured, he brought the damaged helicopter down into a tree before it hit land, preventing it from exploding and saving his South African colleague, Nicky Bester. Mr Bester was able to jump to safety as the aircraft came to land and hid from the poachers in a thicket.
Rad more: Roger Gower: British pilot shot by elephant poachers in Tanzania 'saved passenger' before dying - Telegraph
Old 02-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

If there was any needed proof of just how dangerous going after Poachers is, there it is.

I just can not imagine the sheer amount of will power it took for Mr. Gower to manage to land that copter in a safe manner. He truly is a hero in my eyes and May he Rest in Peace. :(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-14-2016, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince William has issued his gravest warning yet that the rhino is dangerously close to extinction, telling ITV News that the world has as little as five years left to save the species.

The Duke of Cambridge, speaking exclusively to Mark Austin on the ITV Evening News, condemned the illegal poaching trade that is decimating rhino and elephant numbers in Africa.
Video and more: Prince William tells ITV News: The world has 5-10 years to save the rhino - ITV News
Old 03-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Big news from KP today

This afternoon 40 global transport leaders will sign a historic declaration in the fight against illegal wildlife trafficking routes

Today’s declaration, to be signed at Buckingham Palace, has been hailed by The Duke as "a game changer in the race against extinction"

The Duke-“Global transport leaders are saying we know many of the ways wildlife products are being moved from killing field to market place

The Declaration is the result of a year's work by @united4wildlife Transport Taskforce, convened by The Duke and chaired by @WilliamJHague

Yesterday The Duke visited @LondonGatewayUK, one of the core participants of @united4wildlife's Transport Taskforce

The Duke saw the scale of the work required to protect transport infrastructure from being exploited by illegal wildlife product traffickers

Prince William in plan to tackle wildlife trafficking - BBC News

Home | United For Wildlife

Shipping companies join Prince William bid to shut wildlife trafficking routes | Environment | The Guardian
Old 03-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Gentry

This is impressive. And perhaps, this is what William has been doing in his spare time when not doing royal stuff and EAAA. Yes, a little dig at the naysayers who have been calling him out for being lazy
Old 03-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

An impressive achievement indeed and one that I hope will aid in the conservation efforts.