The Duke of Cambridge and Conservation Efforts 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big news from KP today

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
This afternoon 40 global transport leaders will sign a historic declaration in the fight against illegal wildlife trafficking routes

Today’s declaration, to be signed at Buckingham Palace, has been hailed by The Duke as "a game changer in the race against extinction"

The Duke-“Global transport leaders are saying we know many of the ways wildlife products are being moved from killing field to market place

The Declaration is the result of a year's work by @united4wildlife Transport Taskforce, convened by The Duke and chaired by @WilliamJHague

Yesterday The Duke visited @LondonGatewayUK, one of the core participants of @united4wildlife's Transport Taskforce

The Duke saw the scale of the work required to protect transport infrastructure from being exploited by illegal wildlife product traffickers

Prince William in plan to tackle wildlife trafficking - BBC News

Home | United For Wildlife

Shipping companies join Prince William bid to shut wildlife trafficking routes | Environment | The Guardian

Last edited:
This is impressive. And perhaps, this is what William has been doing in his spare time when not doing royal stuff and EAAA. Yes, a little dig at the naysayers who have been calling him out for being lazy

An impressive achievement indeed and one that I hope will aid in the conservation efforts.

Videos:
The Duke of Cambridge Prince William will unveil details of a new initiative to tackle the illegal trade in wildlife products, during a signing session at Buckingham Palace this afternoon. The 33 year old royal, who is president of United for Wildlife, has brought together leaders from the global transport industry in a bid to track routes used by poachers and international smugglers. .

Home - ITNSource News

The Duke of Cambridge Prince William will unveil details of a new initiative to tackle the illegal trade in wildlife products, during a signing session at Buckingham Palace this afternoon. The 33 year old royal, who is president of United for Wildlife, has brought together leaders from the global transport industry in a bid to track routes used by poachers and international smugglers-
Home - ITNSource News

This is impressive. And perhaps, this is what William has been doing in his spare time when not doing royal stuff and EAAA. Yes, a little dig at the naysayers who have been calling him out for being lazy

Wow!! Not only is this impressive, but just amazing, when you think of the negotiations that happened behind the scenes to bring this together. Just...Wow!!

And considering all the poo flung William's way lately, a bit of a dig at those doing it, is perfectly fine IMO.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

This, perhaps, is a very definite example of what being a royal and taking on a cause is all about. Its not about the work hours put in, its not about cutting ribbons and meeting and greeting nor is it about who their pictures were taken with. Although it contributes greatly, its not even about bringing in donations. Its all about accomplishment. Its all about making a difference. Its all about making things better than they were before.

We know William is passionate about United for Wildlife and this global agreement that was signed is a pretty good indication that he's really made some serious inroads into making a huge difference in this area.

" asked about trophy hunting, the killing of animals such as lion for sport, often for huge amounts of money. Asked how he ‘squared’ the practice with his ‘passionate advocating of conservation’, the second in line to the throne said he believed there was a case for allowing old and infirm animals to be killed for sport.

‘There is a place for commercial hunting in Africa as there is round the world. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea,’ he said.

‘But the arguments for regulated, properly controlled commercial hunting is that the money that goes from shooting a very old infirm animal goes back into the protection of the other species. So when one is infertile, he’s at the end of his life.

‘If somebody out there wants to pay that money and it wouldn’t be me, but if somebody did then as long as that money goes back into protection of the species then it is a justifiable means of conserving species that are under serious threat."

Very important to find that balance and line.

It's not an easy thing to take on. Conservation can be 'ugly' at times and it's brilliant William is doing this.

Today's agreement will hopefully go a long way to curb the illegal wildlife trade

Great job indeed, William and everyone involved.

We have a seal hunt here in Canada, millions of seals live on the ice flows. They are killed to provide a livelihood and also as population control. It causes outrage around the world but it's done in a legal and licensed manner

As I say, conservation isn't always about fluffy rabbits, it involves making tough decisions

My province has a black bear hunt and people pay money from all over to take part in hunts. Again it's controversial to some but it helps keep the population in check

Daily Mail front page for tomorrow is calling William a hypocrite.

I don't read the DM and this is an example of why - a truly immature approach to news reporting.

No wonder relationships are sour between KP and some of the press.

Kudos to those who understand that part of conservation of a healthy species involves hunting!

LaRae

^^^I expect that the writers at the DM do understand that Pranter, but choose to go with a more sensational headline to sell papers or gain clicks.

This is a link to ITN News. There are 3 videos about Williams work on conservation incl one one his speech at todays signing at BP.

Home - ITNSource News

" asked about trophy hunting, the killing of animals such as lion for sport, often for huge amounts of money. Asked how he ‘squared’ the practice with his ‘passionate advocating of conservation’, the second in line to the throne said he believed there was a case for allowing old and infirm animals to be killed for sport.

‘There is a place for commercial hunting in Africa as there is round the world. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea,’ he said.

‘But the arguments for regulated, properly controlled commercial hunting is that the money that goes from shooting a very old infirm animal goes back into the protection of the other species. So when one is infertile, he’s at the end of his life.

‘If somebody out there wants to pay that money and it wouldn’t be me, but if somebody did then as long as that money goes back into protection of the species then it is a justifiable means of conserving species that are under serious threat."

Very important to find that balance and line.

Wasn't Cecil the lion old? It was his very age that caused such an outcry when he was shot ie that after surviving everything that nature could throw at him his life was taken by a trophy hunter who had paid a fortune to kill him.

There is a disconnect in William's logic.

Prince William said: 'Obviously I’d like to make a point that I don’t think that ivory is particularly cool and I don’t think it should be on mantelpieces and in people’s houses anymore.'
He is against displaying ivory pieces on the mantel but it is okay to display the entire animal's head above the mantel.

He is against owning ivory when the animal was killed hundred/s of years ago but it is okay to own ivory if it comes from recent trophy hunting.

‘There is a place for commercial hunting in Africa as there is round the world...,’ he said.

‘If somebody out there wants to pay that money .., but if somebody did then as long as that money goes back into protection of the species then it is a justifiable means of conserving species that are under serious threat.
Is William naive or just foolish to think that trophy hunters are going to spend good money to track and kill the weak, frail and infertile animals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't Cecil the lion old? It was his very age that caused such an outcry when he was shot ie that after surviving everything that nature could throw at him his life was taken by a trophy hunter who had paid a fortune to kill him.

No he was older not old.
See attached article that goes into detail on how Cecil was trapped and kill and the impact it has on his cubs and the others in the pride.

The aftermath of Cecil - Interview with lion researcher, Brent Stapelkamp - Africa Geographic

SR: In the case of Cecil, some hunters say he was old, past his breeding age and no longer part of a pride so was a suitable target. Is this the case?

BS: Yes, hunters will say that, but even though he was 13 years old and older than most lions, he was still dominating the breeding and holding his substantial territory. His teeth were in perfect condition. He was in his prime. Even his male lion partner Jericho never had much of a chance to breed because Cecil was still the boss of two different prides. So it’s nonsense when hunters say he was past his best.

We have a seal hunt here in Canada, millions of seals live on the ice flows. They are killed to provide a livelihood and also as population control. It causes outrage around the world but it's done in a legal and licensed manner

As I say, conservation isn't always about fluffy rabbits, it involves making tough decisions

My province has a black bear hunt and people pay money from all over to take part in hunts. Again it's controversial to some but it helps keep the population in check

I agree. I am not a hunter and never will be. But I eat meat and therefore, I am part of the system. I have no issue with hunting for food. I do have issues with hunting for sport/trophies. However, I have witnessed what has happened with the bear population in my area after the spring hunt was cancelled. We now have a huge problem with black bears in populated areas. The hunt is now happening again but it will be years before we see improvement. And it is grossly unfair for the bears - they get shot just because they are looking for food. Removal and resettlement doesn't work - the bears make their way back. Perhaps William has a point with the idea of hunting specific animals but it would have to be very tightly controlled and regulated, something I am not certain could be done everywhere.

I don't see William as a hypocrite for hunting and then calling for the end of the ivory trade/conservation of endangered animals. Those are two very different topics.

Last edited:
There is a difference between hunting and poaching. This is what some people confuse. I see people 'how can he be against poaching but he hunts foxes?". I abhore hunting and would burn every head my uncles have on their walls if I could. Difference? They don't hunt endangered species. They don't hunt animals who are on the brink of being wiped off the face of the earth. Nor do they take the animals antlers, and leave the rest of the animal to rot like poachers do. The will kill elephants and rhinos, chop off the ivory and leave the rest to rot in the sun. All animals belong in an eco system, either as a predator or as a food source. You remove a food source for some animals, then they either become endangered themselves or a threat to humans.

Hunting may be a good industry for Africa. But it needs to be heavily controlled. Monitored on the numbers killed, regulations about age and such, and no endangered species. We have in Canada a buffalo lottery, where hunters enter every year, and only so many are selected. They are able to kill one. This helps keep the wild herds under control but thriving. My Uncle has been selected for it once.

There is a disconnect in William's logic.

He is against displaying ivory pieces on the mantel but it is okay to display the entire animal's head above the mantel.

He is against owning ivory when the animal was killed hundred/s of years ago but it is okay to own ivory if it comes from recent trophy hunting.

Is William naive or just foolish to think that trophy hunters are going to spend good money to track and kill the weak, frail and infertile animals?

I'm confused about what you mean by "He is against displaying ivory pieces on the mantel but it is okay to display the entire animal's head above the mantel." Did I somehow miss an elephant head hidden behind the mirror over the mantel in the video?

:previous: I think the point the OP is making that he has a problem with 'ivory on the mantle' but not with trophy hunting. He argues trophy hunting has a place in the industry of Africa. Trophy hunting is not meat it is 'trophies' aka heads on the wall or pelts. He doesn't need to have one over the mantle in the video.

Not always true Countessmeout....many times (or most times as I understand it) the meat is either taken by the hunter or donated to the locals. Trophy hunters may not want the meat but it doesn't mean the meat is wasted.

LaRae

Except he doesn't support it because heads above the mantle are cool. He supports it because it's a useful tool in conservation.

Saying he supports displaying heads above the mantel is to, IMO, misrepresent his position.

Not always true Countessmeout....many times (or most times as I understand it) the meat is either taken by the hunter or donated to the locals. Trophy hunters may not want the meat but it doesn't mean the meat is wasted.

LaRae

I didn't say they didn't. I come from a family of trophy hunters who also have freezers full of meat. But he is not advocating for 'hunting for food', he is fully supportive of 'trophy hunting'. That wording is extremely clear. When you support 'trophy hunting' you support the trophies that go along with it. Meaning he doesn't care if there is a dead head on the wall, as long as it isn't ivory/endangered. That is simply the point being made.

Except he doesn't support it because heads above the mantle are cool. He supports it because it's a useful tool in conservation.

Saying he supports displaying heads above the mantel is to, IMO, misrepresent his position.

He is a well known hunter for sport. So no I don't see it as a misrepresentation of his position on sport hunting/having trophies.

I didn't say they didn't. I come from a family of trophy hunters who also have freezers full of meat. But he is not advocating for 'hunting for food', he is fully supportive of 'trophy hunting'. That wording is extremely clear. When you support 'trophy hunting' you support the trophies that go along with it. Meaning he doesn't care if there is a dead head on the wall, as long as it isn't ivory/endangered. That is simply the point being made.

Since it's generally known the meat is also used I'm not sure you can say he is just advocating for head only and has no concern about the meat.

Myself I don't care if someone wants a legal head on the wall or not..that's up to them, it doesn't bother me if they do it. What I don't agree with is the wasting of meat that comes most commonly with poachers and illegally hunting endangered species.

LaRae

It's a complicated subject and not everyone agrees but the reality is trophy hunting exists in Africa and African governments make a distinction between illegal poaching and hunting

For example, Namibia allows five non-breeding rhinos to be hunted every year. Compare this to the hundreds that are illegally poached every year.

William clearly said he wouldn't do it but as he also said there are others in the conservation community who have the same opinions

Can trophy hunting actually help conservation? - Conservation

Why killing lions like Cecil may help conservation - CNN.com

Hunting as a conservation tool

Again William said he would never do it but it's a difficult subject and not everyone agrees but hunting exists in Africa and it's legal. It's not a black and white issue, there are many shades of grey

Last edited:
Under the circumstances, it would have been quite understandable if he’d taken the easy, populist line, rode the wave of post-Cecil-the-Lion hysteria and pretended to be frightfully upset by the idea of any big game being shot for pleasure ever again in Africa.
He didn’t take the coward’s way out, though. Instead William spoke the truth.

Trophy hunting brings millions of dollars a year into Africa’s wildlife conservation budget. Anyone who truly cares about wildlife should applaud it, not condemn it.
it speaks volumes for William’s courage
In the past, his younger brother Prince Harry has got all the credit for being the brave one in the family for having served two tours of duty in Afghanistan.

But that’s physical courage. What Prince William has shown here is the equally important virtue of moral courage. This augurs well for his reign.
Read more: Prince William Defends Trophy Hunting. Brave Call.

:previous: Thanks for posting this Rudolph. It does put the entire issue into a very positive perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom