The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 775

I would think Granny would have something to say about that, let alone the Royal Collection.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The story is the Mail which has the Duke of Cambridge calling for all of the ivory in BP to be destroyed has me confused.

Prince William 'wants to strip out ALL of Buckingham Palace's ivory... and destroy the lot to set an example for other world leaders' | Mail Online

The article states the William has hidden all the ivory at Clarence House where he lives. This alone makes me question the accuracy of the article.

The items in the royal palaces are part of the royal collection which are owned by the state not the monarch. The ivory items are not new and have already been made. For example, there is a carved ivory cup and lid with animals and the goddess Diana on it that Fiona Bruce featured in the Windsor Castle episode of the Queen's Palaces. It has the nickname of the brain. It was made in the 1700s. What is the benefit of destroying this 300 yr old item?
There was an article in the Telegraph 2 days ago, stating that Prince Charles had removed ivory from display at Clarence House. I think that could be accurate.

PRince Charles had been called on, by "extreme" conservationists to destroy all of the ivory in the royal collection. As you point out, it's not owned by the BRF, but the state.

I've not read the Mail article but it sounds like they have lifted the story and changed the names to make it more Mail reader friendly.

The Telegraph reader comments were firmly against destroying centuries old workmanship.
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The story is the Mail which has the Duke of Cambridge calling for all of the ivory in BP to be destroyed has me confused.

Prince William 'wants to strip out ALL of Buckingham Palace's ivory... and destroy the lot to set an example for other world leaders' | Mail Online

The article states the William has hidden all the ivory at Clarence House where he lives. This alone makes me question the accuracy of the article.

The items in the royal palaces are part of the royal collection which are owned by the state not the monarch. The ivory items are not new and have already been made. For example, there is a carved ivory cup and lid with animals and the goddess Diana on it that Fiona Bruce featured in the Windsor Castle episode of the Queen's Palaces. It has the nickname of the brain. It was made in the 1700s. What is the benefit of destroying this 300 yr old item?
Perhaps a solution would be to donate the historic pieces to a museum, but recent acquisitions could be warehoused.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Perhaps a solution would be to donate the historic pieces to a museum, but recent acquisitions could be warehoused.
I would think that anything belonging to the Royal Collection would have its own storage and vaults and warehouses and should a piece be perhaps the private property of Charles or HM that they have had handed down to them, how hard would it be to stash them away there? As passionate as Charles gets about the issues he stands up for, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that he's taken the measures to put away the things made from ivory that are around Clarence House. To not have his guests draw the wrong conclusion and see a paradox is smart. To destroy works of art is stupid.

Its also very possible that when the ivory was attained for the crafting of the pieces that the RF has, the times were quite different and the animals quite a bit more plentiful and not endangered as they are today.
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,033
If Prince William wants to protect wildlife, he'd better put down the gun | Ken Wharfe | Comment is free | theguardian.com
Quote:
Do palace courtiers have a good eye for PR? This week Prince William and his brother "bagged" a few sandbags and waded the flooded upper reaches of the Thames. This tour of royal duty presumably produced the desired effect – positive media reporting – no doubt resulting in much merriment among the corridors of the royal household. On a roll, Prince William has called for all ivory artefacts to be removed from the royal palaces and destroyed. Less merriment now. Does his grandmother know about this? Surely such a statement will be anathema to the Duke of Edinburgh who will be muttering in William's direction, and heading to the press office to remind them who's in charge of this "bloody place". This follows the prince's attendance at the World Wildlife symposium in London last week. The hunting and slaughter of elephant and rhinoceros is no longer the sport of kings and the idle rich, with the exception of the Spanish royal family.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
An interesting article by Ken Wharfe. So those pheasant shoots are just setups to cater to the desire of the Royals and their friends to kill things. "Requiring little or no skill, royal pheasant shoots are a pre-planned carnage of wildlife, bred specifically for slaughter." On this issue I have to totally agree with Diana, for I, too, find it repugnant.

And one of the comments brought up that Hen Harrier issue. The Hen Harriers are being driven to extinction in Britain as a direct result of the work of the grouse moor gamekeepers whose priority is the grouse for blood sport and not the preservation of the native species. What do you have to say about that, Harry? If you're really interested in conservation, how about starting at home, working for the conservation of British species instead of heading off overseas to kill things.

Celebrities speaking up for the big, popular, species like elephants is common and requires little effort. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, because a lot of people pay more attention to what celebrities say than what experts say, and some celebrities are dedicated workers for conservation. To William and Harry I say spend a few years consistently working for the conservation of the less "popular" but equally important endangered British species and I'll have far more regard for you.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
An interesting article by Ken Wharfe. So those pheasant shoots are just setups to cater to the desire of the Royals and their friends to kill things. "Requiring little or no skill, royal pheasant shoots are a pre-planned carnage of wildlife, bred specifically for slaughter." On this issue I have to totally agree with Diana, for I, too, find it repugnant.

And one of the comments brought up that Hen Harrier issue. The Hen Harriers are being driven to extinction in Britain as a direct result of the work of the grouse moor gamekeepers whose priority is the grouse for blood sport and not the preservation of the native species. What do you have to say about that, Harry? If you're really interested in conservation, how about starting at home, working for the conservation of British species instead of heading off overseas to kill things.

Celebrities speaking up for the big, popular, species like elephants is common and requires little effort. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, because a lot of people pay more attention to what celebrities say than what experts say, and some celebrities are dedicated workers for conservation. To William and Harry I say spend a few years consistently working for the conservation of the less "popular" but equally important endangered British species and I'll have far more regard for you.
Yeah, but that's a bit too complicated for me, Roslyn.

And the elephants are so darn cute.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,402
New event announced

Martin ‏@WindsorEditor 10 mins
On 9th June, Prince William will attend the United for Wildlife Launch at Google in London. #RoyalDiary
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,453
Video Starts at 23:20-
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,447
It was a nice announcement/engagement today. I suggest we all chip in and buy the Prince a pair of dark grey trousers so he can look as spiffy as Becks does.
__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Prince William today joined forces with sporting royalty David Beckham to launch a United For Wildlife Campaign.
The Duke of Cambridge, who is the president of United for Wildlife, launched #WhoseSideAreYouOn, a new campaign which harnesses the power of sport to raise awareness of conservation issues around the world.
William was joined by David Beckham, who heads a team of high-profile sporting stars backing this campaign to engage young people's support on social networks to combat the illegal trade in wildlife products.
Prince William and David Beckham launch conservation campaign together | Mail Online
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,656
Global, conservation of wildlife, young people, sports stars, social networking.

If you're going to do something, do it big and this is exactly what they're doing and I love it! Its not exactly one's run of the mill ribbon cutting eh?
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Global, conservation of wildlife, young people, sports stars, social networking.

If you're going to do something, do it big and this is exactly what they're doing and I love it! Its not exactly one's run of the mill ribbon cutting eh?

I watched the conference...and sadly i noticed by the end only 194 people were viewing that...considering the people who were apart of that...only having that many is terrible...to me that says there wasn't enough press promoting it..
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:41 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by iisuzieii View Post
I watched the conference...and sadly i noticed by the end only 194 people were viewing that...considering the people who were apart of that...only having that many is terrible...to me that says there wasn't enough press promoting it..
The press merely reports - it is WE who support and promote. I admit this sounds naive - but it is not the job of the press to change out minds. It's the job of the press to inform. But it is our job to have interest.

I realize that some press outlets don't believe this, but the the best do.
__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,453
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 07-31-2014, 06:56 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 6,656
Found this just browsing around and thought I'd share it.

World Ranger Day

Today, we honour those who risk their lives and offer up their time tirelessly to protect the remaining wildlife and wilderness areas on our planet - the Rangers.

Message from HRH the Duke of Cambridge (Prince William)...

PLEASE SHARE THIS AS FAR AND WIDE AS YOU CAN!


http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare
__________________
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Found this just browsing around and thought I'd share it.



World Ranger Day



Today, we honour those who risk their lives and offer up their time tirelessly to protect the remaining wildlife and wilderness areas on our planet - the Rangers.



Message from HRH the Duke of Cambridge (Prince William)...



PLEASE SHARE THIS AS FAR AND WIDE AS YOU CAN!





http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...eature%3Dshare

I found it on You Tube the other night too and right away Tweeted the link on Twitter. Those Park Rangers battling the poachers in Africa are truly doing a very dangerous job and have my deepest respect. I just wish there was more I could do to help them.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Tusk Conservation Awards: nominees announced - Telegraph
Quote:
Nominations for The Tusk Conservation Awards 2104, being held in London on November 25, were announced this week, incorporating two awards first introduced by Prince William at the inaugural event last year.

The Prince William Award for Conservation in Africa, which includes a grant of £30,000, celebrates a lifetime of achievements in conservation. This award, supported by Investec Asset Management, honours a conservation hero chosen from a list of nominees who have dedicated their lives to Africa’s wildlife and its environment.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 4,406
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 11 mins11 minutes ago

Prince William met with Tusk Trust, an anti-poaching charity he is patron of, this morning.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014 Zonk Current Events Archive 1689 01-04-2015 06:46 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit 2016 catherine middleton style countess of wessex coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events dom duarte duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll felipe vi grand duchess josephine-charlotte grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf's birthday king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine daytime fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises